Sun Feb 9 2014 09:21:24

eBay Seller Feel Duped into Accepting Global Shipping Program

By: Reader

Today I got my first international order on eBay. Funny thing, I had all my preferences on eBay set for USA sales only for the last several years. I do not want to sell internationally and deal with all the potential issues. So I called eBay and asked how this order occurred. Their response is below.

Apparently if you sign the new user agreement then you can be automatically opted into this program. There are lots of potential problems with this program for me, so to opt me in because I accepted their user agreement doesn't feel right.
Ralph

Hello
Thank you for contacting eBay in regard to the new Global Shipping Program. I understand you have expressed an interest as to how you and your listings were entered into this free featured program. Allow me to take a minute to explain this.

This occurred when we released our new user agreement.

If you click on the link above and then once on this page click on or scroll down to Global Shipping Program. It then states:

"We may choose to make your listings available to international buyers through the Global Shipping Program if you indicate or have indicated your desire to take advantage of this program by accepting this User Agreement in the form of an electronic click-through or if you otherwise opt-in or have opted-in. If you are not currently opted in to this program and you do not accept the electronic click-through, you will not be able to take advantage of the Global Shipping Program, but you will still be bound by all other provisions of this User Agreement."

After this has action was taken you were then opted into the Global Shipping Program. For more information on this program we encourage you to view and read this page.

Sincerely,
Loni F.
eBay Global Shipping Specialist

eBay Seller Feel Duped into Accepting Global Shipp   eBay Seller Feel Duped into Accepting Global Shipp

by: Steevo This user has validated their user name.

Sun Feb 9 12:00:14 2014

So if you sell Cisco firewalls with strong encryption which have a yellow sticker on the top saying illegal to export, ebay will opt you in to exporting those illegally.  Haha.

What a bunch of dopes. I hope the FBI raids ebay and Pitney Bowes.

Here's the message in the software on those devices:

''This product contains cryptographic features and is subject to United States and local country laws governing import, export, transfer and use. Delivery of Cisco cryptographic products does not imply third-party authority to import, export, distribute or use encryption. Importers, exporters, distributors and users are responsible for compliance with U.S. and local country laws. By using this product you agree to comply with applicable laws and regulations. If you are unable to comply with U.S. and local laws, return this product immediately.

A summary of U.S. laws governing Cisco cryptographic products may be found at:
http://www.cisco.co /wwl/export/crypto/tool/stqrg.html''

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Sun Feb 9 16:23:18 2014

Ebay and The Ho: The terrorists' and communists' best friends.

by: Bloggo This user has validated their user name.

Sun Feb 9 17:57:38 2014

…hope you truly enjoy the added measure of seller protection this program offers...

More Comedy Gold from eBay.

This user has validated their user name. by: Anonymous Annie

Sun Feb 9 18:12:57 2014

Is the program in trouble? Are fewer people *voluntarily* opting-in that had been expected?

Reports such as this are a constant (and comforting) reminder of why I no longer sell at eBay.

What a relief and joy it is to be able to sell to the countries that I choose to sell to.

How wonderful it is to have the freedom to trust my instincts and cancel, without penalty, any sale that seems to be a bit fishy or suspicious... and to not have to worry that my entire livelihood is in danger because of a frozen PP account... or because of negative FB & DSR's from a disappointed scammer.

Oh, eBay, you taught me many valuable lessons. I learned so much from you... things that benefit me to this very day! ~~ But, oh, how you've changed.

Truly sad.

And even if eBay ''changed-back'' ... even if the CEO left eBay ... I'm afraid that the damage done to eBay's infrastructure, its culture, and its reputation is permanent and irreversible.

Little wonder that their GSP is wilting on the vine.

by: Small Guy This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 10 00:12:44 2014

If you click the countries you will sell to in your profile, does that not protect you from being "opted in".

I sure hope not.  I'm a small, part-time seller, but if Ebay opts me in, that's it for me.  I'm gone.

I just can't believe they are contemplating this or would do such a blatantly stupid thing.

by: spirit-of-shiloh This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 10 02:52:53 2014

WOW! I just looked at my listings and I too was in the global crap. So I just opted out. How DARE they????? Thanks for the headss up.

by: spirit-of-shiloh This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 10 02:56:22 2014

Go to Site Preferences then go to shipping preferences and opt out. I would have been in trouble if I had sold over seas as I would have objected,taken a hit on my perfect 100%. Also would have had to go to PP and make the money changes. What a pain in the butt.

by: KathleenJohnson This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 10 04:31:16 2014

I am sitting here giggling so hard that I am having trouble even typing a response.

I am not finding the "opting" in funny in the least - but, that response, from eBay, is a classic over the top used car salesman response to a duped gullible customer.

In this case, the customer, is not your ordinary bear and is standing there saying "Really?????".

I love the eBay's closing comment, after totally "rationalizing" their entire faux paux,  "We appreciate you time, concern, and understanding on this matter and hope you truly enjoy the added measure of seller protection this program offers while widening your customer demographics by making your listing visible to even more potential buyers.

Thank you for the humor.
God Bless eBay - Lord they need it! ROFL.......

Again, why is anyone using eBay?

by: Ephemera Dealer This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 10 07:27:45 2014

I just checked my preferences, and sure enough, there I was, opted in without my permission.

I had previously had all my settings for non-international shipment, and yet yesterday, when I had edited a single item, I had the new user agreement presented. I signed it.

No more than an hour later I had an email from a buyer in France asking me why my shipping costs were so high! (I guess eBay has jacked those up with this program, as I didn't have costs set for my items to go international.)

I then went and edited all my items to show ''My Country Only.''

But after reading this article, I went and checked my settings, and it was still set to have me opted in.

Not sure which would override which, but I went ahead and opted out anyway.

Pretty sneaky, eBay. Not interested though.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Mon Feb 10 08:12:25 2014

What they mean is that they are trying to FORCE sellers into the program.

And Annie, it certainly would not surprise me if the program is in trouble.  The prices for it are sky high.

They can certainly spin a response can't they?

by: TRSeller This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 10 09:17:51 2014

I really don't see the problem.  You shipped to a Domestic U.S. Address.

It is Pitney-Bowes that is shipping the product to international destination, all your sales are Domestic as far as you are concerned.

I had the same doubts with some product that is considered "Hazmat" and has to be shipped with ORM-D labels - According to USPS, I cannot legally ship such product to international address, but I CAN ship to Pitney-Bowes, and they can then take on all the liability and responsibility to ship international - Takes a lot of issues away from us that we'd otherwise have to deal with were we to NOT use GSP
For us, GSP works wonderfully. I'm glad they have that program, resulting in a lot of sales we otherwise would not have had.

As far as how much it costs - It's no hair off my back if the buyer wants to pay $15 GSP shipping (including import duties) as opposed to the $19.50 Priority Mail International, I'd say it is a win all the way around..

by: moonmyst This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 10 09:26:35 2014

I didn't know I was offering international shipping until someone from Finland contacted me.  I immediately went to My Preferences and saw that I was signed up for global shipping, something I did not do. That rascal eBay got me again.  So, I immediately used Turbo Lister to change all my listings back to domestic and I haven't had a problem since. Yes, eBay is slimy and underhanded, but for me, they still give my small store the best exposure.

by: Gina This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 10 09:45:49 2014

I wonder how long I can continue to ignore the message and Skip It!  I fear what accepting the new user agreement will do to me!!

by: go-figure This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 10 10:07:40 2014

If the GSP wasn't enough, for anyone not paying close attention, eBay also added these 2 zingers to the User Agreement:

1) This User Agreement is effective upon acceptance for users who accept it through registration of an eBay account or other electronic click-through prior to October 26, 2013. For all other users, it is effective October 26, 2013. The previous amendment to this User Agreement was effective for all users on or by July 1, 2013.

2) Returns

eBay offers a managed returns process to simplify returns for buyers and sellers. With the eBay returns process, a seller accepting returns can manage and track the return through an automated process on the site. There is no fee to use the eBay returns process. If the buyer returns an item because it does not match the listing description, sellers will generally be responsible for return shipping costs. eBay MAY AUTOMATICALLY APPLY the eBay returns process to listings where returns are accepted. Sellers may remove the eBay returns process from their listings by adjusting their account settings within My eBay. See Using the managed returns process for more details.

As it reads, it really doesn't matter whether or not you clicked through, it applies to ALL eBay users as of the 26th of October.

So while you're checking your settings for the GSP, you need to check your settings for the eBay Managed Returns program (read eBay Screw Small Sellers Return program).

by: go-figure This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 10 10:12:54 2014

@Gina

As it reads, if you're currently using eBay, you ALREADY accepted the new user agreement last fall!!!

by: FREDDY This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 10 10:29:13 2014

Who takes the hit when an item that is forbidden in a country and ebay ships it anyway. You have all countries outside of the usa checked off as not selling to but ebay keeps the GSP for you regardless.
If your item is confiscated, do you still get paid by ebay? ebay is dumb (greedy) way they insist on doing business?

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 10 11:01:23 2014

YEs what ebay CSR told me is if you dare to USE ebay you pretty much by default OPTED IN to the new User Agreement.

OF course you had NO SAY how this was played or what implications it might have for YOUR business---

Pretty sure their Ruby Diamond Platinum Titanium sellers get negotiation powers on these things.

by: Steevo This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 10 11:09:48 2014

As to the customer cost of the global shipping program being ''sky high'' I doubt that is an unreasonable amount, it's probably the amount they would have to charge to not lose money.  It's the amount *we* would have to charge to make a profit.

Ebay Inc. has this crass program to force sellers to have all free domestic shipping by hiding you in search if you don't.  You sell nothing.

But *they* can't charge less than it costs to ship items internationally, they don't have the option of losing money on shipping and handling like they want us all to do.

So the prices are ''sky high'', because that's what it takes to be profitable.

The argument I have with this program is they are making a tidy profit on it, and if we actually had international customers who were willing to pay that much (actual cost plus profit) for that international delivery why wouldn't we want to make that money?  Obviously, we would.

But there are few customers who are willing to pay that much in my experience.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 10 11:17:46 2014

.... Am I wrong that this topic has been covered a long ways back - its not exactly NEW?

Yes, they force people into the program - I asked to be in the Beta way back, and over all GS works just fine for me - yes I know Im in the minority - by a long shot.

Yes - its typical eBay, 1/2 baked, customer service people not knowing eBays own rules, a good amount of non paying buyers, and Paypal being totally out to lunch when issues (INR and SNAD) arise - but thats TYPICAL eBay.

ANYONE expecting anything eBay does to work properly (except the mechanism that transfers money from my bank to JDs) is a fool.

But (if anyone cares) theres more to GSP then what most think. My recent VERO issues - that put GS into play (and into the mix) reveal that theres WAY more going on then what meets the eye.

Beyond eBay and Pitney Bowes just getting a slice of the shipping/duties - its become a legal mechanism to exclude (read "STOP") sellers from selling goods overseas.

You can laugh, people on this site still ignore my emails - but Ive had to deal with it - with attorneys (and we arent done atm) and its a dangerous warning of what I said 2 yrs ago.

There will come a time soon when you will HAVE to do ALL your shipping through GS.

Step 1) totally optional entrance into the program "pay no mind to the man behind the curtain" (what "was")

Step 2) Forced entry into the program - but you can still back out (opt out), and you can still ship items yourself. (what is)

Step 3) ..... no more shipping out of the country UNLESS YOU USE GSP.

Like politicians who steal from you via taxes "for the great unwashed", illegal aliens, "the children", and "the poor", eBay will compell you to do it this way or not sell internationally at all.

They will tell you (as they told me "If you want to sell "this brand" (Casio) you MUST ONLY go through GSP". "You have no choice - if you dont we will MC999 you until you stop and we will remove your listings, and/or we "kill your account".

They claim "its illegal to sell most things into the EU (because of the EEA agreement)(which btw the US isnt party to, esp if you list directly on eBay.com not eBay.eu)" so therefore ... we have to be involved. You can only sell that brand on eBay via GSP, we will have a listing specialist call you and tell you what you must do (how to set up the listing) and thats it -  unless 1) you want ONLY USA sales 2) you have the guts to sue.

I asked "if its "illegal" for me", why isnt it "illegal for you to list on eBay for EU sales (ie GSP)". The answer came back - if WE get to do it (read: and make a cut on the shipping action - we will take full legal responsibility for anything that may happen). IE - BS it ISNT illegal - its just another eBay money scam.

Laugh at me if you wish, cry if you have the tears left (after what eBay may have already done to you) - but if you think Im just some crackpot who claims the "sky is falling" - then ignore my warnings and go on as you are - but remember - when VERO (who sorta kinda admitted that they accpet money to pull sellers on eBay) come knocking on YOUR door and take your business from you - its wont be so funny.

good selling my friends :)

by: Tornad0sRul This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 10 12:43:10 2014

Each time you list something there is a (option) box to check or uncheck for the global shipping program, so you can select it for some of your listings and not select it for other listings. Make sure that box is not checked when you are listing an item and it won't go into the Global Shipping Program.