Thu Feb 6 2014 11:53:55

Seller Reports PayPal Account Hacked

By: Reader

I just saw the article about eBay/PayPal being hacked & wanted to tell you about what happened with me Tuesday. I got an email from PP that morning, saying my mobile number had been linked to my account. I hadn't linked it, so logged in to PP from my browser, checked & sure enough someone had linked a 204 area code to my account; I also had a weird payment request in French.

I unlinked the number & tried to change my PW then, but lacked a bit of information it wanted to change it, so I did not get my PW changed right then.

A few hours later, I get another email saying I've linked a mobile again. I go check & this number is different area code. I called PP & got a very nice American rep. She viewed the activity & said the only thing the hacker was doing was putting in the mobile numbers, no attempt to remove money. She helped me change my PW. So far, there have been no other hacks.

I am quite careful about not clicking links in emails; I have no idea how the hacker got my PW or why they were only linking a mobile to my account. They had to know that when they linked, I'd get a notification.

It's got me wondering if the hack came not from my end, but PayPal's?
Karla

Seller Reports PayPal Account Hacked   Seller Reports PayPal Account Hacked

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Thu Feb 6 13:21:06 2014

But, but, but, "PreyPal" is supposed to be the "safest way to pay" ... Ho, Ho, Ho ... http://bit.ly/UVXx53

Seller Reports PayPal Account Hacked   Seller Reports PayPal Account Hacked

This user has validated their user name. by: NaruMessenger

Thu Feb 6 14:05:32 2014

Somethings Phishy. Might be something to do with XSS cross site scripting. We know hacking eBay is so easy a caveman could do it. :)

Seller Reports PayPal Account Hacked   Seller Reports PayPal Account Hacked

This user has validated their user name. by: Puck

Fri Feb 7 16:55:44 2014

"But, but, but, "PreyPal" is supposed to be the "safest way to pay"..."

Don't forget, it's also "The world's most-loved way to pay and get paid..."

" We know hacking eBay is so easy a caveman could do it. :)"

Fire good!...woman good!...eBay website hacking easy!...grunt! grunt! - Neanderthal Hackerz

Seller Reports PayPal Account Hacked   Seller Reports PayPal Account Hacked

by: Tiffee Jasso This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 10 03:34:17 2014

Yes it could be from Paypal. I remembering entering a new email from a new website that wasn't yet up and running. Within hours, I received a scam email stating I had to click on the link as my Paypal account had been overdrawn. I called Paypal and told them to check their employees or back door because someone was getting info from their records. I didn't get another Paypal scam email of any kind for almost a year. You do have to wonder about that.

Seller Reports PayPal Account Hacked   Seller Reports PayPal Account Hacked

by: doboy This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 10 08:44:15 2014

I have been hacked.  I have learned to never, ever respond to any eBay related message except through eBay messaging.  If it is in my email, it gets deleted.

Seller Reports PayPal Account Hacked   Seller Reports PayPal Account Hacked

by: doboy This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 10 08:46:04 2014

On the other hand, eBay has yet to fix the glitch telling me my account has a negative balance due to a refund.  Nope, I've told them many times.  They can't get rid of it.

Why should we wonder about security?  Because eBay cannot delete a pesky message!

Seller Reports PayPal Account Hacked   Seller Reports PayPal Account Hacked

by: Gina This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 10 09:40:58 2014

I was hacked 7 times in one day!  Once they change the email addy to which all changes are sent, they can circumvent any attempt you make to change anything!  Every time I changed the password, they got the 'changed status' email and changed it back!
Be afraid, be very afraid!  Hackers know way more about these things than you do!  CALL PayPal & have them set things right...then change every password, even on the email account associated!

Seller Reports PayPal Account Hacked   Seller Reports PayPal Account Hacked

by: FREDDY This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 10 10:40:35 2014

The medical profession was basically forced to go paperless.  As a result, I have been notified twice that my personal medical and info was in the files that were hacked into. One from a Doctors office and the second from a large hospital.
I am by no means a computer wiz, but from what I have read it is not difficult to hack into any site. I believe the Pentagon was even hacked into.  So what is so special about ebay-paypal and their system. They cannot even do simple things so how can they protect  your info??
I am just waiting till the ACA  is hacked into and with all the info they have, you will be screwed and left with no credit and no money.

Seller Reports PayPal Account Hacked   Seller Reports PayPal Account Hacked

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 10 10:48:07 2014

I just saw---and have not looked at yet---some sort of Paypal "Don't forget you have money in your Paypal account!!!"  email.

Wonder if this is going to ask me for info or if it is a REAL PP email--how to TELL???

And just in case we all thought this was "Urban Legend"---a few weeks ago we got a call from the local cops--elderly relative had been called and told her grandson was in a Canadian jail and she should get $4000 in money cards  from Walmart and call them with the NUMBERS off the money cards and they went so far as to play a scenario where the alleged kid was put ON the phone but "Very distraught"  and then taken away form the phone and put "Back in his cell"---this relative was going to DO this (she doesn't drive I don't know HOW she was going to DO this----)  but fortunatly someone stopped by and discovered what was going on and called the cops.  Scary stuff.  We have heard (from this cop)  that genealogical info posted to places such as ANCESTRY is bieng used to ID people for these scams.

IF you have used these---EDIT your living relatives names out!  Also beware of that old "Mothers Maiden Name"  routine---same deal.