Thu Dec 25 2014 07:04:58

eBay Seller's Theory on Boosting Sales

By: Reader

Dear Ina
Do (separate) buyer accounts hinder sales?

I have 3 eBay accounts, 2 sales accounts and one buyer account so as to keep things separate.

Now the other week I accidentally purchased an item on my main seller account. Suddenly, boom - sales flooded in for a few days and then died. I thought that's strange so as a test I purchased a small item on my "hardly make a sale" 2nd selling account and the same thing happened with items that had been sitting there for months suddenly flew off the shelf.

I have been making a small purchase on my selling accounts for the last few weeks now and it seems to have made my items visible.

Anyone else noticed or stumbled across this?
Robert

eBay Seller's Theory on Boosting Sales   eBay Seller's Theory on Boosting Sales

by: 1beck3 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Dec 25 09:10:50 2014

Interesting theory.

Especially when you consider there are times when sales seem to "come in bunches" for particular catagories or times of day.  Same types of things do happen in a physical retail location as well.

Could it be as simple as the time of year?  I have always loved Christmas as a retailer b/c people get desperate and will buy almost anything last minute.

This user has validated their user name. by: LDS Brother

Thu Dec 25 12:05:39 2014

Tis the season to be miserable ( If a small seller on eBay )

The above Theory does not work for me, likely coincidence and the timing of the rolling blackouts exposing the sellers items for a brief period giving the impression that purchasing helped boost sales

That doesn't work for me if I buy items to resell, or any item

I am Top Rated Plus seller

eBay Seller's Theory on Boosting Sales   eBay Seller's Theory on Boosting Sales

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Thu Dec 25 13:47:41 2014

My guess is that it is purely coincidence.

I think we all do know though that there are rolling blackouts, hidden listings, and geographic-centric sales.

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Thu Dec 25 15:37:36 2014

So, you have demonstrated that eBay is manipulating search/views/sales/...,

What's new?

The eBay executive suite—where the incompetent mingle with the disingenuous, the malevolent and the outright criminal, and the just plain stupid ... http://bit.ly/11F2eas

eBay Seller's Theory on Boosting Sales   eBay Seller's Theory on Boosting Sales

by: Donkey This user has validated their user name.

Thu Dec 25 19:06:55 2014

"geographic-centric sales"
I am certain they are doing this based on my sales.

All sales to one state or even one country at times.

eBay Seller's Theory on Boosting Sales   eBay Seller's Theory on Boosting Sales

by: AgendaSwallowsAll This user has validated their user name.

Fri Dec 26 00:19:08 2014

Christmas Sales

eBay Seller's Theory on Boosting Sales   eBay Seller's Theory on Boosting Sales

by: Massachusets Howler This user has validated their user name.

Fri Dec 26 05:57:25 2014

It is not business but the ILLUSION of business.
MH

eBay Seller's Theory on Boosting Sales   eBay Seller's Theory on Boosting Sales

by: gutspiller This user has validated their user name.

Fri Dec 26 13:03:20 2014

Trust me: you can't do anything to boost sales on Ebay. I've move heaven and earth.

In 2011 after I complained with Ebay miracously my sales doubled from one day to another. It lasted a few months and just from one day to anohter my sales back collapsed.

2 years ago Ebay decided they no longer needed me. In a matter of weeks I lost 70% of my business. Cheap stuff, collector's items, slow sellers, best sellers. No matter what I listed on Ebay nothing would sell or get views.

Ebay has become a complete commical show with sever consequences. If Ebay allows you to sell you will sell. Else you business will be completely destroyed.

For me Ebay was a dead end so no longer sell on Ebay. They can go to hell and hopefully completely bust after the split with PayPal.

eBay Seller's Theory on Boosting Sales   eBay Seller's Theory on Boosting Sales

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Fri Dec 26 14:03:15 2014

I agree with the others.  I don't think this has anything to do with search manipulation and everything to do with the time of year.

eBay Seller's Theory on Boosting Sales   eBay Seller's Theory on Boosting Sales

by: ajeweler This user has validated their user name.

Fri Dec 26 15:19:31 2014

I agree also, just a fluke, speaking with people who sell they tell me this was their worse year in 10 years, I stopped selling once the 180 day policy rolled in on pp and e bay defected sellers whom offer good service, I think with google charging e bay for listings it will bring the stocks down, hence they will not spend much , in addition with the serch engine being so messed up lots of sellers have left or are leaving ebay and spending their money on their own web sites were they do not have so much stress and or rules that don't apply to sellers equally,
ebay Every Buy Against You

eBay Seller's Theory on Boosting Sales   eBay Seller's Theory on Boosting Sales

by: gutspiller This user has validated their user name.

Sat Dec 27 17:08:19 2014

And you own website it can be done. Mine has been online for 3 years now and provides me with enough sales to make a living.

More traffic to my website than I ever had on Ebay even when sales where still strong.

People come, people buy. The only place where I was hardly making any sales was on Ebay. All traffic was diverted to my main competitor. 1 seller selling twice the number of items as all his competitors together. Only possible in the miracle world of Ebay.

Currently 1 seller making 80% of every single sale in the categories he lists.

But no accordingly to Ebay, Ebay hasn't been manipulating in any way. 1 year ago I was completely fed up with it and left Ebay to focus on my own website. Should have done it a year earlier. 1 one year I doubled my sales.

Ebay force me to leave. And even if I would like to go back (not in this lifetime) I wouldn't have the time for it.

eBay Seller's Theory on Boosting Sales   eBay Seller's Theory on Boosting Sales

by: Will This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 29 00:28:05 2014

I've often wondered about what Robert has mentioned.

Was thinking that maybe eBay wants its users to partake in the overall user experience? Not just buying. Not just selling, but both.

Was thinking and wondering, how important it is to the eBay database for each user to buy and sell and also provide feedback? In other words, if a member lacks any of those features, does it hinder?

eBay Seller's Theory on Boosting Sales   eBay Seller's Theory on Boosting Sales

by: pennyrub This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 29 01:27:37 2014

That's interesting. I don't purchase much on Ebay, it's been many months. Christmas sales were down, no activity whatsoever compared to past years. On both my accounts I made purchases for Christmas gifts. My main account exploded with sales after Christmas and my small account even had a sale. Coincidence? Maybe. Rolling black-outs? Maybe. But I do find it interesting.

eBay Seller's Theory on Boosting Sales   eBay Seller's Theory on Boosting Sales

by: Tornad0sRul This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 29 11:43:32 2014

My sales have been very weird lately as well even though I have not changed anything about my business or my procedures.  I hardly sold one thing during the busiest time of year....the end of November and the beginning of December, but I had good sales right before Thanksgiving, two days before Christmas, and the day after Christmas.  My sales this past 9 months have been completely different than the first 5 years and I have been doing everything exactly the same which clearly indicates that it is EBay who changed, not me.

eBay Seller's Theory on Boosting Sales   eBay Seller's Theory on Boosting Sales

by: Steevo This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 29 11:51:54 2014

I can believe this, but I am sure it's unintentional.

Ebay has made a tampered search and when you tamper with things like that you can get results that you didn't aim for. That's what it is. They are in way over their heads.

We have all seen it:  I search for an item by name, I get zero results, but below that might be a page of ''related'' items, and there is the exact item I was searching for.  So sure, the search engine found it, but it didn't know it found it.

It's the dumbest thing in the world and it's costing ebay sellers most of their sales.

Ebay doesn't see a problem. In over their head.

eBay Seller's Theory on Boosting Sales   eBay Seller's Theory on Boosting Sales

by: Tornad0sRul This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 29 12:41:42 2014