Tue Dec 16 2014 22:17:43

Seller Questions eBay's Exposure in Google Search Results

By: Reader

Since reading the story many months ago about Google and the search changes that they enforced on eBay, the report saying that "Google let eBay get by far too long using "archaic" methods", I realized that Google was the main reason for my decline in sales and I am now more positive of that than ever before.

So many sellers are/were blaming the eBay security breach but that didn't make sense to me because there are so many other large retailers who got hacked and their sales didn't plummet like eBay's did.

So today I went to Google and used the exact words from many of my listings such as "unique antique sessions adamantine clock" and "genuine murano glass stingray". What happened then was expected and now I know why my sales have plummeted. My items are not showing up on Google like they did before.

Years ago my items for sale would have been listed on the first page in Google, sometimes even without using all of the exact same words from the listing. Not only that but when I saw just a photo of my listing for the genuine murano glass stingray appearing under "images" I clicked on the button "visit page" next to the photo of my murano glass stingray and it took me to something entirely different (antique child mittens) for sale on my eBay store and not the murano glass stingray.

There are very serious problems with Google and eBay connecting and that is the #1 reason for our dramatic decreases in sales volume.
Patti

Seller Questions eBay's Exposure in Google Search   Seller Questions eBay's Exposure in Google Search

by: Terry in Texas This user has validated their user name.

Tue Dec 16 23:26:07 2014

I agree with you that there is something amiss with google. i have tried to find some of my listings on ebay and my own website and they rarely come up at all (maybe 10 pages down). occasionally i will see one of my IMAGES come up on the first page. but the only way to get my listing to show on google is to copy/paste my listing title word for word.  whatever happened to google organics?

This user has validated their user name. by: Map

Wed Dec 17 00:25:30 2014

I am disagreeing with the writer of this letter because

I would blame ebay as the culprit of the sellers listings not showing up in Google before accusing Google.

ebay controls the the google product key that ebay gets from google and places in the HTML of the sellers listings and ebay store pages.

If you are a small seller then ebay can total control your listings being placed into google shopping ads.

Ebay can also control small sellers listing in the google search results because ebay controls the google webmaster key to the sellers listings and ebay can then exclude sellers pages from google search results because ebay is the controller in google web master tools.

When looking at listings in by page source or HTML the google keys are identifiable and the only way they are there is because ebay has control over the google keys.

If I were a Federal Investigator i would also be looking into this because it is true.

Disinformation is a Bain capital standard.

by: RCL This user has validated their user name.

Wed Dec 17 06:24:06 2014

I have noticed the exact same thing, but assumed it was because Google wanted ME to pay for the exposure. I have the same kind of items--relatively unique.

by: rhawk This user has validated their user name.

Wed Dec 17 08:33:34 2014

The google ebay drop is because ebay was abusing and essentially ignoring googles rules.  Typical ebay....always has to screw up a good thing by doing things THEIR way.  Ebays ways, er, I mean the current board and CEOs' ways are to screw people and give preferential treatment to those who can line their pockets quickly.  Karma is a ......well you know.

by: unknown This user has validated their user name.

Wed Dec 17 08:37:12 2014

"Google let eBay get by far too long using "archaic" methods",

I can't quite understand how you can blame google for something ebay did/did not do. ebay was gaming the system and google slapped 'em but we are the ones who got 'punished.'

The worst part is ebay did absolutely nothing to fix it.

This user has validated their user name. by: LDS Brother

Wed Dec 17 09:05:44 2014

It is a combination of 2 things, Map is right eBay hides our stuff, but for myself I have noticed a HUGE decrease in revenue that truly starting in 2014 for me when Google demoted eBay on their search engine.

That is why on recent posts of mine here on this site I have commented that Devil Wenig and Google MUST kiss and make up !

eBay sucks bad enough from their own mismanagement and self destructing policies !

Add the Google demotion and DEAD is my sales and many others, so all in all I am saying in my experience and my belief, I belief that the Google demotion was a HUGE blow to my income and many others also

This user has validated their user name. by: Map

Wed Dec 17 11:00:05 2014

Lets say for example that Google tells ebay they are allowed to publish 10 million listing pages by use of Google webmaster tool.

But ebay has for example 20 million listings pages to publish.

What then would be ebays choice or decision of what listing pages to publish?

It would be the listing pages of ebay prime corporate sellers listings.

If ebay has a known publish limit or is choosing to drive traffic only to their prefered corporate sellers then ebay can block publishing of small sellers listings to google by "Remove URL Request" https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/url-removal

i refer back to my previous comments that when ebay has manipulated small sellers listings in the Ebay search engine that they have also restricted the small seller listings in google at the same time because traffic reports show the same decline in traffic at the same time dates.

This is a planned EXTERMINATION of small sellers.

Google may have penalized ebay but ebay has already chosen to remove the url's of small sellers in google webmaster tools.

If some of your listings appear in google search it is because it was a organic and you got lucky with your pictures and description.

by: rudestar This user has validated their user name.

Wed Dec 17 12:21:47 2014

I used to find my items on Google search from ebay USA.
Now I see far fewer and they come from ebay Canada.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ric

Wed Dec 17 12:30:37 2014

There have been rumors that Google will expand into retail offerings.... Link:  http://marketingland.com/google-shopping-may-go-deeper-ecommerce
-111231

Is
it too much for eBay sellers to hope that the recent announcements by eBay with regard to layoffs and some program discontinuations are part of a scaling down of eBay prior to being acquired by Google?

Imagine the possibilities for eBay's long suffering sellers.

Under Google, search would be fixed once and for all - no more Can't See Me Search Engines.

Buyers would enter search keywords and actually see results which are relevant to that search request instead of results based upon what the company wants them to see.

If Google  acquired eBay, they would likely push sellers items to the top of their shopping search engine results instead of down at the bottom where eBay was demoted to after bad acts on eBay's part.

A Google acquisition could mean a significant house cleaning of existing eBay management to be replaced by a smaller management team that actually has experience in eCommerce and brand building.  The resulting termination of existing eBay management would not only improve the marketplace, but also relieve the company of hundreds of millions of dollars in bloated compensation packages.

Imagine the possibilities....

This user has validated their user name. by: laurengrace

Wed Dec 17 17:10:58 2014

An acquisition by Google would definitely not level the playing field. It would not be fair to other marketplaces and websites.Yahoo or Microsoft however are big enough, and would be more appealing.

This user has validated their user name. by: shabbychick

Wed Dec 17 20:39:19 2014

i am always searching through Google images to identify odd collectible and antique pieces. If you click on ''images'' for a google search instead of ''web'' you will see pages of small thumbnail pics. One can simply slide the mouse over the images to identify the source. Generally when I click on the image it takes me to the page where the image is located. NOT so if the item is identified as being an Ebay item! For instance ''Murano Glass Stingray'' would take me to an Ebay page, but lo and behold it would be 18 pages of listings for ''Murano Glass'', no stingray in sight.  It is basically a REDIRECT.  It is so annoying -- and that is when I am not even trying to find one of my own items. This has been going for at least the past year of two.

The hypothesis of Map sounds perfectly reasonable. Eliminate the small sellers from Google search just as they have from Cassini search.  There is only room for so many in the lifeboat so out go the small sellers!

However Etsy items take me directly to my own and other peoples exact listing.  Even if it has already been sold.
This is probably why my Etsy sales are doing so much better than Ebay.

Bonanza still does not show up much in Google image searches.  I don't check the Google Web searches that much but I suspect it is the same

This user has validated their user name. by: permacrisis

Wed Dec 17 23:34:11 2014

Any Google acquisiton that involved managerial layoffs at ebay would be BAD because then those employees would spew forth, spreading eBay's amoral corrosive workplace culture to all corners of the web!

by: Steevo This user has validated their user name.

Thu Dec 18 00:02:15 2014

Well, uh, no.  That's not the reason your ebay items are not showing up in google like they did.

Some time ago google product search became a paid service. Before that anyone could upload their products to google and no one could pay for inclusion.  It was fair.

So if you looked up a product in google it was a completely fair and egalitarian situation.

You would find *all* of the searched for products and it was easy to make a buying decision then.

Ebay Inc. uploaded all our ebay listings to google daily, so you found ebay items right away.

But when google changed product search to a paid service, this all stopped.

If the item you were looking for was available nearby, at low price, and just the way you wanted it you used to be able to find it immediately.  But now, you find what google got paid to show you, which might be the worst possible source for the searched for item, at the most outrageous price, and it might be from a disreputable seller that you don't want to deal with.

But that's the one you found in google because they paid!

Ebay does not pay google, as far as I know, and they can't anyway because Ebay inc. has a lot of items!

They would have to pay millions to google to be included in product search, which all used to be free!

The reason I know all this is I used to have a local web server at our office, and every night at 10 PM it would download our ebay items from ebay and render a page, and upload that at 11 PM.  It was all automated.  You would look for one of our products on google, you would find ebay, and then us, with the same picture.  Unfortunately google caught me and made me stop.  Oh well.

So that's why, google product search is a paid service, and it's not what you would call fair like it used to be.

It's slower on ebay because of that.

by: Belle This user has validated their user name.

Thu Dec 18 00:23:29 2014

I hardly think that ebay can not afford to pay to send items to google.

Personally, I never click on any item in google that shows as being from ebay. Reason being, is the search returns anything but what I've asked for. I get tired of wasting my time with unrelated returns.

by: ebay madness This user has validated their user name.

Thu Dec 18 00:27:24 2014

@Steevo

So what was it that ebay did to piss google off?  I've heard talk of their archaic methods that google didn't like, but I really haven't heard the whole story. Is there something to that? thanks

by: Steevo This user has validated their user name.

Thu Dec 18 00:44:16 2014

ebay madness, ebay did not do anything to piss google off, it's just that they never paid after the product search was changed to a pay service.

They did what we all did, used it when it was free.  And the funny thing is when google originally rolled out froogle, their product search, they said ''no one can pay to be included'', which meant they somewhat proudly intended it to be completely fair. They did sound proud of that fact.

Much later, when they got rid of the free search inclusion and made it all paid, well, we no longer got a free ride from ebay's SEO efforts.

That's all that happened. It's nothing sinister on ebay's part, as far as I know.

by: ebay madness This user has validated their user name.

Thu Dec 18 01:06:30 2014

@Steevo

Thanks for the reply. I do remember reading something here about google slapping ebays hand for something though and I thought it had to do with their archaic methods, whatever that meant. I checked a bunch of my listings today on google and couldn't find any-even on the 10th page down. They used to pop up right away. So, do you or does anyone know how expensive it is to pay google for visibility???  Or is it fruitless with ebay? I've checked every other site there is and if I thought I could jump ship and make it, I would do it in a heartbeat. It's hard to leave when you're still making a pretty decent profit.  Not a fun place to sell with all of SNADbay's new defect system.  Not to get off the track, but I still have a defect on that I won the escalation and I've called 5 times on it.  Damn thing is still on there, grrrrrr...and I'm sure there it will stay.

by: Tornad0sRul This user has validated their user name.

Thu Dec 18 01:11:55 2014

@Ric, wouldn't that be nice? How wonderful for the sellers who stuck it out on what has become a beyond frustrating selling venue that could ultimately change to one of the best selling venues? Oh my, I never thought about Google purchasing Ebay because it would be too good to be true. You are right that there would probably be drastic changes which is what EBay desperately needs.  I agree with the writer and my sales plummeted right after the google crack down on Ebay and they never recovered. I check my listings and they are no longer on Google like they were a year ago.

by: Tornad0sRul This user has validated their user name.

Thu Dec 18 01:31:09 2014

@Map, I seriously think that you give EBay's IT department way too much credit. The many technical errors, security hack, and "archaic methods" used with regards to Google makes it pretty clear that EBay's computer techs are inept and definitely outdated.  Also it is very possible that Google's forced changes on EBay was about greed. I'm sure that their "crackdown" on Ebay benefited Google somehow.  Otherwise they wouldn't have done it.

by: biddude This user has validated their user name.

Thu Dec 18 02:27:17 2014

I agree with Steevo It's all about who pays Google to be found eBay wants your items to be found The more eBay items that are sold the more money eBay makes eBay would be foolish not to want items to show up in the search As a buyer I have noticed that not as many items from eBay show up in Google searches in general It seems to me that the best way for items to show up is to have the lowest price Good Luck with that Everybody is always searching for the lowest price There are many low price search engines out there Every time I log in to eBay after buying something eBay is constantly suggesting similar items It seems like eBay focuses more on people that are already at the sight buying than pulling more in from outside the sight Maybe its more effective to hammer people that are already buying or shopping at eBay I know that there used to be a lot more people driving traffic to eBay through affiliate websites but I believe that Google cracked down on this practice as well favoring websites with relevant content etc I guess there was some pretty major abuse going on as far as eBay having to pay out a lot of money to affiliates that were stuffing ads with there affiliate numbers and taking eBay for millions of dollars I guess between the two it really put the brakes on eBay traffic and Google had to stop all of the bogus websites etc...