Sat Dec 13 2014 13:35:02

Need Help with eBay's Sell-Your-Phone Promotion

By: Reader

I was sent an invite to a special offer by eBay to sell my smart phone and be guaranteed a $100 coupon if doesn't sell, and a refund of the difference between the sell price and the trending price if it doesn't sell at the trending price.

I followed the link in the eBay message as was required to get the guarantee. Problem is the trending price was not disclosed. Usually when I list, eBay states a trending price near where the pricing box is. But in this case I just was shown a range of prices with a "t" symbol, so I scrolled to the bottom and the "t" explanation is these prices are not guaranteed.

However, the offer IS a guarantee, but I have no way of knowing whether I qualify since the trending price is not disclosed.

I called eBay, was put on hold 45 minutes after the rep tried and failed to find the trending price, and then he disconnected. Second rep tried to tell me the trending price was the range she saw, which doesn't make sense and was also contradicted by the "t" caveat.

So ludicrous to offer a guarantee but not disclose what the price needs to be to qualify for it. Not just ludicrous, but a sham, and illegal. Please seek help from eBay. The reps are not willing to email the higher ups.

This offer is good for a while longer and I want in on it.
Thanks.
R.P.

Note from the Editor: eBay built a marketing campaign that included TV ads around the "Flip Your Phone for the Win" promotion, learn more here.

Need Help with eBay's Sell-Your-Phone Promotion   Need Help with eBay's Sell-Your-Phone Promotion

This user has validated their user name. by: Ric

Sat Dec 13 14:03:36 2014

I would not be surprised if eBay plans on determining the "trending" price AFTER the promotion is completed.  In that way, eBay can claim a "trending" price that will limit their exposure to paying out on their promise.

This promotion is little more than a desperate attempt by eBay to cash in on the fees generated by a hot holiday sale item.

Sellers who participate in this promotion will likely be disappointed by the outcome, much like most other outcomes associated with selling on John Donahoe's eBay.

by: ajeweler This user has validated their user name.

Sat Dec 13 14:31:45 2014

I have read on some forums that the #100.00 is just a coupon towards the purchase of some item at a later date, however the coupon codes are not working , and if the "t" code is any trend of what the sellers have to jump thru as e bay suggested "sell prices" they are very far out of the reality "of an items real value, I think and am not sure how they derive at the prices, my personal opinion is that someone "auctioned one off price" and buyers generally wait until the last 10 minutes to bid and may not be as much as you could sell it for locally, if PayPal is involved with the payment of the phone, please keep in mind that the buyer will now have 6 months money back guarantee if the buyer claims it is not as described eBay will and can take your money back and you may be on the hook and no phone, however good luck with your desision

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Sat Dec 13 15:24:10 2014

It's otherwise known as the "pea and thimble" trick; eBay has honed this deceptive practice to perfection in virtually everything that eBay does ...

The eBay executive suite—where the incompetent mingle with the disingenuous, the malevolent and the outright criminal, and the just plain stupid ... http://bit.ly/11F2eas

by: iwasjoe This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 15 12:52:57 2014

I looked at selling my Motorola electrify a couple weeks ago and the trend it said was 5.00 then checked listings no phone was listed or sold any where near that low. Ebay False advertisement? I wonder if any reporters are not in their pockets I never see anything about the poor if not criminal actions by Ebay.

by: rhawk This user has validated their user name.

Tue Dec 16 16:18:40 2014