Mon Dec 8 2014 10:30:48

eBay Deadbeat Hassles Seller

By: Reader

Just had a disturbing situation today. eBay automatically opened an unpaid item dispute on my behalf (I'm the seller). This buyer bought this item 4 days ago and never paid. All my fixed auctions are due upon auction end.

She must have been waiting for the unpaid item email, because right after the case was opened, she slapped an e-check payment. So, now I have to wait another week or so. I have had this happen before, but what really got me, was the language on the PayPal payment email that I am "not eligible for seller protection".

Wow, I didn't ask for this and if it were up to me, I would NOT be allowing these e-checks. I would love to cancel this transaction and be done with it.

So, I called PayPal to find out what I can do if anything. I was told she is an "at risk buyer". So, they are protecting themselves but not me I guess.

Nothing they can do, so they told me to talk to eBay so the buck was passed and I was transferred to eBay. eBay told me that I had to wait until the case closed. If her check doesn't clear by then, it will close. Guess there is nothing much I can do except wait. I can't refund her because the e-check is pending.

It is a nice holiday piece, so wish I could get it back on for some other customer that would love to have it right now. Only thing I can do is block her right now. Grrrr… Thanks for the vent! Just one of many…
Signed,
Disturbed with eBay and PayPal

eBay Deadbeat Hassles Seller   eBay Deadbeat Hassles Seller

This user has validated their user name. by: Ric

Mon Dec 8 12:36:24 2014

As is constantly observed on this blog, seller protections are virtually non existent on eBay due to the fact that eBay backs chooses to give buyers - even bad buyers - 100% protection and afford sellers zero.

eBay's inept management exists under the misconception that buyers are the driving force behind eBay's success. And, yes, buyers are a necessary factor, but they are not the sole answer to the equation.

What management ignores is that if sellers did not bring their merchandise to be listed on eBay - buyers would be an unnecessary commodity since there would be nothing for them to purchase.

New leadership at eBay needs to reexamine their policies and revise existing policies so that there is fairness in the form of meaningful protections for both buyers and sellers.

eBay may be in desperate need to generate sales at any cost however, deadbeat buyers need to be handled more aggressively.  Shorter time frames for completion of payments, as well as account terminations of deadbeat buyers needs to be on eBay's new leadership agenda for prompt action.

eBay Deadbeat Hassles Seller   eBay Deadbeat Hassles Seller

by: Massachusets Howler This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 8 14:23:35 2014

This is VERY TELLING if ypu ask me.
Why is this buyer still on if ebay itself does not trust them?
I thought ebay was responsible for getting sellers GOOD buyers, and "protecting" us- my arse.
MH

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Tue Dec 9 00:21:00 2014

@Ric and MH

With respect, are you saying you guys have never received an echeck before?  This is normal verbiage.

@OP

The check hasn't cleared which is why PP has the statement on it that it is NOT eligible for Seller protection.  They have always had that statement on payments that have not yet cleared.

Once it clears that statement will change.  And as long as you follow the rules for SP on PP, you will qualify.

But right no if you were to ship before the payment clears, PP will not cover you.  So don't ship yet.  You don't have the money or the coverage.

I doesn't take a week for echecks to clear anymore unless they are internationa.  It should clear in 2 to 4 days.

However if it does not clear and your UID has aged and you can close it.  You can close it and then go and cancel the echeck payment in PP, IF that is what your desire is.  Not that I would recommend that, but you can do it as long as the echeck has not cleared.

Do not change this from a UID to a cancellation.  Well let me rephrase that.  It is not in your best interest to do that.  If you cancel it, they can leave you FB and chances would be good that you now have ticked off the buyer and would get some FB you wouldn't much like.  But that is your choice to make.  You can change the UID to a cancellation.  But don't cancel the check in PP until your buyer responds that they will accept the cancellation or you could be out the money and get some wonderful FB to deal with.

That statement on the echeck as NOTHING to do with an "at risk buyer".  It is a statement that has ALWAYS been on echecks original notifications.

Why would you want to refund someone that you haven't received the money from yet?  I'm not sure I understand why you would consider doing this.

eBay Deadbeat Hassles Seller   eBay Deadbeat Hassles Seller

by: ebay madness This user has validated their user name.

Tue Dec 9 00:43:41 2014

@ Marie

I only wanted to cancel because of the ''at risk buyer'' issue, LOL.  Her check did clear about 3 days later before the case closed. As usual, you never get the right information from the rep. I really didn't appreciate what the buyer did, it was a bit sneaky, but regardless, a sale. I am very proactive with the DSR/feedback system-you have to be. I wouldn't intentionally piss any buyer off, but I really didn't think her check would clear, since the rep told me she was an ''at risk buyer''. Thanks for the info, that does make sense. I've never seen that language before so it's a first for me.

eBay Deadbeat Hassles Seller   eBay Deadbeat Hassles Seller

by: Massachusets Howler This user has validated their user name.

Tue Dec 9 02:46:22 2014

I ebay themselves has labeled this a "Problem Buyer" themselves the bid/echeck should be cancelled. The GRIEF this seller has to go through WAITING for scores is unreasonable, from an already identified bad buyer.

PaLEASE- after 14 years I am well aware how echecks work. And let me add, just THE folks who use them are the same folks who ding you for shipping time, unprepared to pay spoiled impatient know it all buyers.
MH

eBay Deadbeat Hassles Seller   eBay Deadbeat Hassles Seller

by: Maui5150 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Dec 9 02:53:29 2014

eChecks and the alarming verbage is normal.

Why this all happened?  You probably opted in to eBays "Automated non-paying bidder" program at one point.  Generally this happened during the process of opening a case, eBay innocently asks you if you would like to automate the process.

This is the exact reason I do not let eBay automate things for me.

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Tue Dec 9 02:55:48 2014

@Ric, you are missing the point; eBay protects buyers at all costs from their "non-preferred" sellers because they desperately need those buyers that are left to feed to their "preferred" sellers ...

The eBay executive suite—where the incompetent mingle with the disingenuous, the malevolent and the outright criminal, and the just plain stupid ... http://bit.ly/11F2eas

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Tue Dec 9 03:13:54 2014

@maui5150

The Automated Assistant did not cause the problem.  Nor is it to blame.  It is a great tool for sellers that don't want to have to track such stuff.  Personally I open and close my own.  But other sellers prefer using the AA.  It is just whatever works best for each of us.

What we don't know is if the seller had their payment terms stated in the listing.  The buyer may have thought they had a few days to pay.  If we don't state our payment terms in the listings, then we are leaving it to the imagination of the buyer, which isn't usually a good idea.  While we as sellers may want our payments faster, if we don't let the buyer know our payment terms, they can't know.

Or the buyer may have been away for a couple days.  Typically buyers aren't on their computers as often as some of us sellers might be.

Certainly this buyer may have been just trying to get as much time as possible before paying, but they also may have just made an honest error.  We may never know.

eBay Deadbeat Hassles Seller   eBay Deadbeat Hassles Seller

by: angryllama This user has validated their user name.

Tue Dec 9 05:03:19 2014

Tempest in a teapot. My own More Positive Theory of the Crime is that your Buyer is also a Seller. As such he/she could have been holding off paying in hopes of having one of those increasingly RARE payments coming INTO his/her PayPal account.  When that RARE event failed to come to pass quickly enough the eCheck was the Next Best way to sort out the problem. Way too many OTHER innocent reasons come to mind: PayPal clawback on a 178 day old payment had zero'd their account, Internet Server Down, Infected laptop in shop for soothing HD Scrub, Alien Abduction, Zombie Apocalypse has started in Lima, OH, yadda yadda yadda .

eBay Deadbeat Hassles Seller   eBay Deadbeat Hassles Seller

by: DebraD This user has validated their user name.

Tue Dec 9 08:11:18 2014

Any time I get an e-check the seller protection status always reads "Not eligible" until the check clears. This is Paypal's way of warning you not to ship until the payment is in hand. Check the seller protection again when the check clears. I think you will find that it changes to eligible.

eBay Deadbeat Hassles Seller   eBay Deadbeat Hassles Seller

by: bluesky5 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Dec 9 08:36:28 2014

Some people don't have cc,s so they pay by check. And they weren't necessarily ''waiting'' for the unpaid item notification.. Did you send her a reminder email prior to this? I always send a friendly email reminder the morning of the second day of non payment then the next day open an uid.
Not every hiccup of ebay selling is a worst case scenario.

This user has validated their user name. by: Anonymous Annie

Tue Dec 9 09:38:35 2014

My experience was the echecks were a pain in the rear that interrupted the normal work-flow.

Instead of shipping out the order right away, I had to set it aside and be on the lookout for the ''payment-cleared'' notification.

Not such a big deal, I suppose... but in many cases, the buyers would become impatient. In *their* minds, they had already paid, and couldn't understand why shipping was delayed... therefore they assumed it to be MY fault.

Even if eBay doesn't start the countdown-clock for prompt shipping until after the payment has cleared, the buyer's perception is that it's ALREADY late... and they're frustrated.

A frustrated buyer is not a ''delighted'' buyer, and typically, this was reflected in the DSR scores and feedback they left for me.

I never had a fraudulent e-check payment, but for most all e-check buyers, I found them to be impatient and exceedingly fussy.

Considering the overall trouble and annoyance... and considering the less-than-steller feedback/DSR's that were sure to follow... and considering that e-check payments were *ALWAYS* for low-value/low-profit items, it was hardly worth my time!

Frankly, I'd rather NOT have the sale than to have to deal with the hassle and the risk of dealing with a fussy feedback vandal.

eBay Deadbeat Hassles Seller   eBay Deadbeat Hassles Seller

by: hoofstep This user has validated their user name.

Tue Dec 9 09:42:06 2014

eBay has a near monopoly over the online auction market (I keep hoping that some other company will show up to compete with them for the yard-sale and low volume sellers). I think until they have some serious competition, they aren't going to get serious about protecting sellers.

eBay Deadbeat Hassles Seller   eBay Deadbeat Hassles Seller

by: Runs.With.Scissors This user has validated their user name.

Tue Dec 9 10:22:38 2014

After I made all my listings
"Require Immediate Payment"
(over 3 years ago), I never again received an e-check payment.

eBay Deadbeat Hassles Seller   eBay Deadbeat Hassles Seller

by: a_c_green This user has validated their user name.

Tue Dec 9 14:03:37 2014

BIN/IPR is definitely one way to avoid eCheck hassles, although in my own experience, I can't actually remember the last time I even received an eCheck in the first place. Electronic funds transfers are getting a lot more common now.

On those occasions when I did get one, I'd respond to the buyer as soon as the Pending notification came in, saying something to the effect that their payment was appreciated and that we'd be shipping as soon as PayPal tells us that their payment has cleared, which is expected to be in (whatever number of) days.

eBay Deadbeat Hassles Seller   eBay Deadbeat Hassles Seller

by: Tornad0sRul This user has validated their user name.

Tue Dec 9 14:18:51 2014

@ebaymadness, you may not be out of the woods yet. Because it's pretty clear that this is a shady or bad buyer, they may say that it wasn't delivered or request a refund for "item not as described."  They may also threaten to leave negative feedback if you don't give them a refund.  I'm just saying that simply because the echeck cleared doesn't mean that you are in the clear.  I agree with you that if he/she was an "at risk buyer", and after not paying for many days and then paying with an echeck, I wouldn't want to do business with him/her at all and I would want to cancel the transaction entirely.

eBay Deadbeat Hassles Seller   eBay Deadbeat Hassles Seller

by: ebay madness This user has validated their user name.

Tue Dec 9 18:16:20 2014

@TornadOsRul, Yes, I get that feeling too.  I think she is a perpetual buyer who buys without thinking. I hope I'm wrong! I always send updates and let them know the process, not once did I get a reply from anyone thanking me. Wish they would do away with the damn e-check thing. I personally hate them.

@ angryllama, That is exactly what happened. Maybe not a seller too, but had to have this item and really couldn't afford it at the moment, hmmm..

@ Maui5150, Yes, I do have ebay automatically open cases. I have a hard time opening them, I keep thinking, well give them another day...I'm too kind hearted. This way, they just get opened. I also put in my auctions that a case will be opened on day 4, maybe I should take that out!  I thought you could open them on day 3, but the earliest option it give me is day 4.

eBay Deadbeat Hassles Seller   eBay Deadbeat Hassles Seller

by: nothingnew This user has validated their user name.

Wed Dec 10 00:36:43 2014

I never waited for bad byers to come through, and since pp already claimed that is a risky buyer? why are you waiting? if its a desireable item i'd relist and to HELL with that risky buyer. My stuff is my stuff and if buyers think we are forced to pamper them. BS!

eBay Deadbeat Hassles Seller   eBay Deadbeat Hassles Seller

by: fancypants This user has validated their user name.

Wed Dec 10 01:34:14 2014

I had a buyer pay with an echeck on Nov. 30th.  It still has not cleared.  And she is NOT international.
 Another waited till UPI was opened, then paid with echeck.  Still waiting on that one too.  Wish we could block echecks.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Mon Dec 15 20:21:18 2014

@fancypants

You can go and close the UID for NON Payment, then go to PP and cancel the echeck.  You do not have to continue to wait unless you want to.