Sun Dec 7 2014 13:17:11

eBay Seller Can't Close PayPal Disputes: Defects, Limits Result

By: Reader

My name is Eddie, I am a business seller on eBay for many years, I was just reading your article on eBay limits, I wish to update you in an unbelievable thing they have done against sellers.

My sales have been limited to 30 Items a month because I have fallen below their global standard, my dashboard reads 710 x 100% feedback, my four dashboard areas are 4.9%, 5.0%, 4.9% and 4.8%, and I'm rated "Above Standard".

The reason I have limitations is, over the last twelve months five buyers have opened a PayPal dispute, in each case I agreed to refund them, on return of my items. This is where the big error is with PayPal occurs.

If I try to close the dispute, there is no icon or tab to close the dispute myself, so it has to run till PayPal review the case, at which point they refund the money. This now becomes a defect on my eBay account because it is classed as a "Case closed without resolution", so no matter how good my feedback and dashboard are, until the defects drop off, after they each become twelve months old, I like so many other buyer will have limitations.

I will have to wait till May 2015. Please print this so to help other sellers and hopefully eBay and PayPal come to their senses.
Thanks,
Eddie

eBay Seller Can't Close PayPal Disputes: Defects,   eBay Seller Can't Close PayPal Disputes: Defects,

by: AngelaTC This user has validated their user name.

Sun Dec 7 13:23:58 2014

I wonder if this will go away when Paypal and eBay separate?  It is really frustrating to get a defect for a transaction that was settled to the satisfaction of both parties involved.

by: ZZ This user has validated their user name.

Sun Dec 7 14:24:20 2014

This isn't an ordinary defect. Sellers need to be aware that this is a separate class of 'bad' that eBay uses in your evaluation which the OP correctly identifies as ''Case closed without resolution''. You are allowed .3% of such cases. If you are less than that you are TRS. If you are above that you are BELOW STANDARD. There is no STANDARD middle ground. .3% is 3 cases in 1000 transactions, compared to the defect rate of 5% or 50 cases in 1000 for you to be classified below standard.

That's why you need a slam dunk win if you are going to deny the scamming or unreasonable buyer a refund and let eBay decide. If you lose you get a ''Case closed without resolution'' strike against you.
I had 2 of these strikes and one more would have got me above .3%. I would then go from TRS to Below Standard regardless of any of the other evaluations. I called eBay CS, waited my 1.5 hours on the phone, got to the correct department and appealed. I got one of the strikes reversed. Now I can let eBay decide one more case without worrying about losing. I won't use it loosely. I suggest to the OP to call eBay CS and explain what happened. Don't give many details to whoever answers the phone. Get him to switch you to the Appeals department. There are some sensible people there who can delete these unjust marks. If they won't wait a day and try it again. Some CS have no clue, others always say no, and others are reasonable.

This user has validated their user name. by: LDS Brother

Sun Dec 7 22:19:29 2014

AngelaTC said: "I wonder if this will go away when Paypal and eBay separate?"

Hopefully, eBay will go away, as in extinct as a stand alone company when they split !

Us good small sellers who are buyers also, have SUFFERED enough the last 6 years !

Wenig is just gonna be more of the same most likely !

Go see about Secret Project M more ABSURDITY from eBay !

eBay sucks ! Don't sell or buy on this company ! It is way past the good days, it is ripe, rotten, and stagnant a cess pool of death for the small to medium sellers !

Avoid like the plague ! I wanted to give Wenig a chance, but Secret Project M says it all !

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Sun Dec 7 23:42:31 2014

Sellers have NEVER been able to close a claim on PayPal or Ebay.

If the OP refunded the transactions from the claim or transaction, PP should have closed the claim.  If the OP refunded the buyer's by using the send money function, then that would create a problem.

Sellers do not have to wait until PP cycles through and reviews cases.  If you have an issue, call.  Get it fixed.  It does not have to be complicated.

Now if the OP's customers never did return the item and the OP never refunded, again call PP and get it sorted out.  To sit back and just wait will only cause you problems.  You need to be proactive.

by: SparklyEyes7 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 8 00:46:54 2014

I've always had excellent customer service with PayPal.  If a case is opened through them, my first action is to call them and ask their advice and they'll tell me the steps to get it resolved in my favor.

heck, once the case was opened through eBay, and since PPs CS is located in Nebraska, I called them instead.  It wa an IR case and they froze $150 so now I had no money in my account for shipping.  My CS rep exchanged a few emails and eBay released my funds!

Plus, PP CS is so easy to reach!

by: Cloud This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 8 01:27:23 2014

If you refund it should close the dispute automatically. If it does not then contact eBay as it is most likely a bug.

by: donald This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 8 01:47:27 2014

Agree with Angela. It is frustrating to get a defect for a transaction that was settled to the satisfaction of both parties. I mean what else do they want, perfection ? It does not exist, especially in business...

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Mon Dec 8 02:33:48 2014

@donald

While what Angela states is very true, I completely agree, but what the OP is saying is missing some information.  Something wasn't handled correctly.  Cases that have been refunded from the case do not close without resolution.  So there is more going on for the OP than has been shared here.