Mon Dec 1 2014 13:29:15

eBay Holds Funds Due to Its Own Inaccurate Shipping Estimate

By: Reader

I have been "hit" by eBay software controlled "estimated shipping" delivery date statement on shipping a sold item. I have shipped an item from the West Coast to Chicago IL with a 6 business days.

Estimated delivery date provided by eBay software. I used Economy Shipping, USPS Standard Post sent out on the 14th with an eBay software delivery date of the 20th.

On the 21st the buyer demanded a full refund for not receiving the item on the 20th and eBay put the funds on hold. I called eBay and they confirmed that the item was still in transit and that the buyer was allowed by the eBay software to apply for not receiving the item as it was past the eBay software-generated estimated delivery date.

I stated that the word "estimated" was not an end date because of the added shipping statement provided by eBay in the listing stated the following:

"Estimated delivery dates include seller's handling time, origin ZIP Code, destination ZIP Code and time of acceptance and will depend on shipping service selected and receipt of cleared payment. Delivery times may vary, especially during peak periods."

I pointed out the failure of their software to allow the buyer to place an action with the item transit tracking still in process of being delivered.

eBay stated that it did not matter as the estimated delivery date had passed and I had to wait for the confirmed delivery of the item  before the hold on my funds could be removed and I would have to call back to eBay to have that done at that time.

Per my shipping carrier, the estimated delivery date is now out to the 25th due to bad weather in the delivery area.

Just another poor unthoughtful "rule" that eBay has provided by hiding behind the software. Sellers Beware!
M.

eBay Holds Funds Due to Its Own Inaccurate Shippin   eBay Holds Funds Due to Its Own Inaccurate Shippin

by: RCL This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 1 14:45:54 2014

Wow. When did you agree to allow your funds frozen for late delivery?? That seems outrageously overreaching.

by: Massachusets Howler This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 1 16:17:42 2014

You got a live one, one who KNOWS how to scare and scam sellers.
More and more to FEED off of us and to pay ebay and Paypal.

JD is being gifted and is selling his shares to the tune of 93 MILLION dollars just in the last 30 days!

JD could buy a MANSION A DAY at these rates- he is maximizing every penny he can carve off of ebay (just like he has done to US for 8 years).
MH
That is over 3 million dollars a DAY folks, out of our sweat and sinew.

by: mjr55 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 1 18:11:34 2014

Don't see what the issue is.....the funds are on hold. You will get them when the item is confirmed delivered.

I find OP's story a bit...questionable. We live in Chicago, we haven't had any bad weather here this year. It has snowed once (1-2 inches).

by: Dexter Morgan This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 1 18:44:35 2014

Wow.  I wonder if I could find a job that pays 93 million to screw everything up.

by: Massachusets Howler This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 1 20:46:57 2014

You ain't kiddin' Dexter.
MH
Most folks make 1.5 Mill in a LIFETIME- this guy makes 2X that EVERY DAY on these "options" and THEN he gets a H-U-G-E Salary and bonus too!!

by: Massachusets Howler This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 1 20:48:57 2014

With his salary and the options- Donahoe made close to 1/10th of a BILLION DOLLARS this month!!
MH
(We are SUCKERS, myself included).

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Tue Dec 2 01:25:17 2014

Unless this was going THRU Buffalo BEFORE the snow all thawed--there is something not quite Kosher 'bout this here story.

And from the Left Coast to Chi-Town--no Buffalo or OTHER weather related  bad slowdown occured.  So--what are we NOT hearing here???

by: NetWatch This user has validated their user name.

Tue Dec 2 01:50:57 2014

@Massachusetts Howler, LOL, speak for yourself...I stopped listing on Feebay in June 2013 and started two anti-ebay social media groups a year ago that now number more than 1,700 members...

by: Moonwishes This user has validated their user name.

Tue Dec 2 02:39:08 2014

What may I ask is 'economy' shipping? I just checked the usps site and didn't see it. I saw Standard shipping which for the zip codes I just put for PA to S.CA with shipping Dec 2 delivery is estimated to be Dec. 9 for a 2# package.

I think one of the problems is apparently ebay and/or sellers aren't using the correct names for shipping possibilities.

I know I had an Amazon order on the weekend with expedited checked. I sent the buyer a thank you and told her her package would ship Dec. a via Priority. She wrote back questioning if that was 2-day? I hadn't realized that the PO had changed the name of Priority service and sure enough the 'regular' Priority is now called two day although with shipping on the 1st the delivery was expected on the Dec 4 which isn't two days in my mind. I at first thought that she was expecting the express shipping that starts at $20+. It does make me wonder if she thought somehow she was getting the Prime 2 day shipping or Amazon had given her a wrong delivery date as was mentioned in another post in this digest. At least I haven't heard back from her, and I know my money won't be on hold by Amazon if the shipping does get delayed.

I can't understand why so many sellers still stick with ebay and its stupid rules.

by: Tiffee Jasso This user has validated their user name.

Tue Dec 2 04:26:36 2014

The Buyer in this situation is the guilty party.
The other problem is in Ebay's computer programming. Once a buyer selects ''I didn't receive it'', the case automatically goes to worst case scenario. There are buyers out there who push the ''I didn't get it'' the day after they purchased the item just because they can. I had one gentleman buy an item Thursday afternoon. I mailed it out on Friday. On Saturday I got called a thief because the item was not delivered to him on Saturday and a case of ''I didn't get it'' filed against me. Unfortunately, these type of buyers are out there by the thousands. Ebay should work to educate them or ban them.

by: ewegolf This user has validated their user name.

Tue Dec 2 07:10:50 2014

@ Moonwishes.  Priority is not called two-day.  There are many locations (both origin and delivery) that are priority three-day.  That was what the buyer was questioning.

by: ebay refugee camp This user has validated their user name.

Tue Dec 2 08:54:57 2014

This is just the calm before the storm people, bad weatehr, the USPS and bad ebay policies are going to be a complete and total nightmare the next three weeks.
Buyer will not read the description but they sure read those delivery dates which are in fact wrong sometimes and have been leaving the words business days out in the mobile app.
Brace yourselves

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Tue Dec 2 12:36:06 2014

When a claim is filed Ebay has always put the funds on hold.  While certainly sometimes unfair, it is not a new procedure.

CSRs are rarely trained well enough to handle issues that arise for sellers.  With something like this, the seller will need to gather information that the CSR may not be trained well enough to gather for you.

Watch the tracking closely.  Depending on the carrier used, sometimes delays due to significant weather are actually noted on the tracking.  That is really helpful.

Once the item is delivered, immediately call Ebay and try to get to a claims specialist.  Have them note that the item is now delivered and that there was a severe weather event in the area.  If that is not showing on the tracking, find a weather report or something that you can refer to the CSR to through a website.

Also you can use the screen shot that Ina used on the other article that Ecommercebytes published today.

by: Tornad0sRul This user has validated their user name.

Tue Dec 2 14:03:08 2014

Marie, we sellers now have to train our paid CSR's?  Do we get compensation for that?  ;) What else do the CSR's have to do besides review information, and why then does it take 1 hour to wait for them if they are not "trained" to do that?  What exactly do the CSR's do besides upset innocent sellers who waited such long periods of time for their lack of attention?

I would say that "unfair" is an understatement when a seller has to "gather information that the CSR may not be trained well enough to gather", when the "information" is right there in front of him/her on EBay's own site/system.  It's a lot more than simple training that the EBay CSR's need.  I once had a problem that was clearly a corrupt buyer and all of the evidence was right there on EBay's own message system, yet the CSR's (including two supervisors) for two weeks abused and mistreated me, only so that eventually a normal, logical, sensible, and knowledgeable CSR did the right thing and actually READ the evidence in front of them.  That buyer clearly in writing violated EBay's buyer protection policy yet EBay CSR's automatically and instinctively, without even doing their job of reviewing the "information" and evidence, told me to shut up and take it in the shorts.  This is not a training problem.  This is a huge management problem and the CSR's run EBay like the Wild West.  EBay's poorly trained and poorly managed CSR's are solely responsible for chasing off sellers in droves.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Tue Dec 2 14:09:44 2014

@tornado

I'm not saying it is right.  It is just simply a fact.  It is what we have to deal with.  You can choose to deal with it or not.  Completely up to each of us to decide.

While we do need to complain and try to get Ebay to pay attention to problems such as this, in the meantime we still have to deal with it.

So if someone chooses that they don't want to deal with it until Ebay fixes the problem, that is their right.  But for those that choose not to, they will have to do extra things such as possibly educate the CSR to get a problem resolved.

It is your choice to make.  For me, I choose to complain to Ebay on everything I find of issue in my opinion and I choose to find ways to work within the current rules so that I can keep my account functioning the best I can.  I respect that you may choose differently.

by: Tornad0sRul This user has validated their user name.

Tue Dec 2 14:44:07 2014

No, sellers aren't given any choices when it comes to EBay.  The only options that are provided to good sellers on EBay is to bend over or leave (CSR's have actually said that in so many words to sellers).  It's EBay who is "choosing" to provide horrible customer service, and therefore they are "choosing" carelessness towards their good paying customers.  Sellers and buyers now have many other choices so they don't have to "choose" to put up with such ridiculous and corrupt business practices. It's pure logic that making it so difficult for a customer (seller) that they must choose either "fight" or "flight" is nothing short of stupidity and will surely result in failure.  Who in their right mind would choose to stay and fight EBay rather than leave and go somewhere else that doesn't have the hassles or the stress?  The numbers are quickly increasing on the many other competitor sites and if EBay wants to ignore their problems then they deserve to lose their customers.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Tue Dec 2 15:44:01 2014

@tornado

That may be your experience, but it is not mine.  I make choices all the time.  You feel you have no options and sadly in many cases that is certainly true, but it is not always the case.

You are certainly correct that Ebay has made a choice not to provide good or even reasonable customer service.  That is proven time and time again for years.

Depends on what you sell for there to be realistic alternatives as a site to sell on.  Alternate sites work very well for many and not so much for others.  We aren't all alike.  We don't all have the same needs, ideas, products, etc.  We are a diverse group of people.  So what works well for you may not work for me and what works for me may not work for you.  It doesn't make either of us wrong, just different.

by: Tornad0sRul This user has validated their user name.

Tue Dec 2 16:25:28 2014

Marie, so what you are saying is that "some" particular sellers have no choice but to stay and "fight" and put up with EBay's mistreatment simply because their other options are not as lucrative?  That is exactly the mentality that EBay and their customer service has had for decades. I am sure that EBay banks on the fact that many certain types of sellers cannot find the numbers of buyers on other sites, but as soon as that scale starts leaning in the other direction watch the flood gates open for those "certain" sellers.  Ebay has forced sellers into their mafia style of ruthless business simply because they previously had the market cornered but like I said, the balance of the scale is quickly changing and there will come a time very soon when that scale will fall out of EBay's favor for all types of sellers.  That attitude is the reason why.  EBay CSR's know that they have many sellers by the _____, and their aloofness, rudeness, ineptness, and carelessness clearly shows that.  I have never ever in my life experienced such despicable customer service like EBay's, unless it was some type of under-funded government organization that didn't care about their clients/customers.  That type of horrible customer service and lack of care is sure to cause any business to fail, just like all of the other failed businesses that had the same disposition.  I don't want to see Ebay fail, but when I see how ridiculously careless, ignorant, and actually stupid the leadership is, I don't care anymore whether they succeed or not because they actually deserve to fail.  Now that there will always be other options besides EBay I thought that maybe they would be forced into improving their customer service and stop their mistreatment of sellers, but it's actually gotten worse so there is nothing left to fight for.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Tue Dec 2 17:52:26 2014

@tornado

Well yes and no.  Not all sellers have the significant problems that some sellers have.  It has a lot to do with categories.

Just a couple examples of risky categories are electronics and fashions [that is not all inclusive, it is merely a couple examples].  They have higher returns and higher percentages of scam buyers.

While other categories have problems as well, they are no where near at the level that some categories seem to have.

Some sellers are doing just fine in the current climate of Ebay and others are not.

You stated "...put up with EBay's mistreatment simply because their other options are not as lucrative?...
" Sometimes yes.  You may not like it or agree with it, but it isn't your decision to make or mine.  Each seller has to decide this for themselves.  Because a seller stays on Ebay does not make them any less important than those that may choose to leave.  We all have our on set of circumstances and financial needs.

While for you it may be that you leave due to your principles, others may not be able to do that.  It could mean the difference of putting food on the table or keeping the heat during cold months.

I respect that this is how you view things "Ebay has forced sellers into their mafia style of ruthless business", but I do not.

"That type of horrible customer service and lack of care is sure to cause any business to fail,..."  Well they have been doing it for about a decade or more and they are still here.  I do agree they need to fix the problem, but will they?  I don't think they will until the rules stop being so fluid.  It is hard for anyone to keep up on the ever changing world of Ebay.

I do however completely agree with you, Ebay needs to change.  They need to fix this customer service problem.  It is HUGE to all of us.  I hope, as I am sure many others are, once JD is actually gone [next summer] and no longer in charge, maybe we will see some positive changes.  Or it could just be more of the same.  Only time will tell.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Dec 2 23:32:22 2014

First eBay came and held the funds of auction sellers, but Im not an auction seller so I didnt say/do anything.

Then eBay came and held the funds of the small mom & pop sellers. But Im not a mom & pop seller so I didnt say/do anything.

Then eBay held the funds from the grannys attick/flea market sellers. But Im not one of those kinds of sellers so I didnt say/do anything.

NOW, eBay is holding MY funds and Im a mid sized seller. But since theres no one left, theres no one left to say/do anything .... so Im all alone at the mercy of the arch criminal JD.

Maybe I should have said something before?