Fri Nov 28 2014 13:16:42

Are Postal Carriers Scanning Computer-Generated Labels?

By: Reader

I have just reviewed my time for packages meeting postal requirements verified by eBay and had a drop from 88% to 75%. While doing what I can to get it back over 90% for the top rated bonuses.  I lost the top rated status and bonus.

I had a talk with my postal carrier and they are being informed that computer generated labels do not need to be scanned because they are already in the computer.

This explains a lot.

I understand that the post office with its massive budget losses needs to cut corners and this seems reasonable, however eBay is utilizing its bonus system on the Postal services mod of operation.

I am convinced at this stage I will not be able to meet the criteria for top rated seller and we will see a great fall of top rated over the next two months.  I am switching all my shipping to 2 day ship and enjoying my weekends.
Bruce

Are Postal Carriers Scanning Computer-Generated La   Are Postal Carriers Scanning Computer-Generated La

by: yesmikan This user has validated their user name.

Fri Nov 28 13:26:46 2014

How many packages are you sending per day? If it's more than a couple, you can print a Scan Form on both eBay and Paypal Multi-Order so that your carrier only needs to scan 1 barcode instead of multiple. It will make his/her job easier and hopefully more inclined to do his job-- er, I mean, scan the label :)

by: Mr. Me This user has validated their user name.

Fri Nov 28 14:08:55 2014

Post office scanning is inconsistent , causing whiny buyers to get their panties up in a bunch !

by: DIANE1104 This user has validated their user name.

Fri Nov 28 15:12:58 2014

where are you printing a scan form from eBay. I know you can on paypal...can not find on eBay

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Fri Nov 28 15:19:21 2014

@Bruce

Are you looking at your Dashboard numbers that appear when you first go into your Dashboard?

If you are, then you are seeing your numbers for November that you will be eval'd on Dec. 20th.  Those numbers are still in flux.  They will change as shipping is verified and buyers leave FB for the others or open claims.

If you had some sales in the last couple of days, chances are pretty high that the verification on those shipments have NOT happened yet.  Typically it takes Ebay 3-4 days to update.

So if those are the numbers you are looking at chances are you are not seeing firm numbers yet.

As for your postal carrier, they were wrong.  Can't answer for that, they just were incorrect.

If you believe you are having a problem getting your packages scanned at your local post office, call the Postmaster of that post office.  Be completely polite and professional.  Explain you are an Ebay seller and those scans determine an important part of the ratings you receive on Ebay.  Most Postmasters are receptive and responsive to this need.  Especially if you are in a small or medium size community.

As for the post office, I don't think the lack of getting things scanned is due to a lack of personnel.  It isn't like someone has to stand there and scan each package one by one.  They have machines to do that.  If each piece had to be manually scanned at every step of its path, I don't think we would see very many packages with viable tracking.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Fri Nov 28 15:20:50 2014

@diane1104

You can print your Ebay transaction shipping labels on Ebay or through PP if you get paid through PP.

On Ebay, just go to the transaction, one of your options on that transaction is the ability to print a shipping label.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Fri Nov 28 17:33:17 2014

This morning I took three packages to be scanned in, and the clerk, who's been with the post office for years, scanned them all, twice!, as delivered! She couldn't understand why she wasn't getting a receipt, and then realized her error and rescanned them as "Acceptance." Hopefully the tracking numbers aren't too messed up in their system.

This user has validated their user name. by: laurengrace

Fri Nov 28 17:44:36 2014

@jacksparrow, i have had them scanned as delivered rather than picked up quite a few times.It does cause problems. first of all,] impatient buyers will see it marked delivered and panic because they dont have it and open a case or dispute, 2nd, thetrackingw will never update.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Fri Nov 28 23:35:38 2014

@laurengrace - After reading your post I checked the tracking number for one of those packages referenced in my prior post, and it only shows "Acceptance" and now it's at the sort facility. So I guess the "delivered" notation was overwritten.

This user has validated their user name. by: Bill

Sat Nov 29 02:29:44 2014

If you are getting packages picked up by your mail person they are supposed to scan them when they are picked up. If they do not complain to your Postmaster if that does not work complain to Washington and it will be done. They are supposed to scan any packages that you have set for pickup whether it is one or a dozen or so. You can make it easier on your mail person by doing a multi-scan form in with the packages but you still need to make sure that they know it is in there. I myself just take everything to the PO since I have to check my PO Box any way and it gets me out of the house.

This user has validated their user name. by: laurengrace

Sat Nov 29 04:08:20 2014

@jacksparrow that's good. all the ones I had never updated. I guess someone corrected yours. I also had 2 packages delivered to the wrong address within a week. Not a good week for me and usps. Still would rather deal with them than the others.

by: Jerseygal This user has validated their user name.

Sat Nov 29 11:25:05 2014

I bring every package to the post office, wait on line watch them scan it and get a receipt for the scan. My percentage was always 100% for this until last August 20 when it fell to 85% for no reason.  An Ebay ''glitch'''.  I had lost top rated anyway so I did not choose to hang on the phone for 2 hours .   I have since gone elsewhere to sell and have found the relaxed happiness that every online seller should enjoy.  By the way, ebay sent me a message to tell me they reviewed my dashboard and adjusted my percentage, called it seller protection.  Yeah.  Protection from them!   Still not 100% and it should be.  I have postal receipts to prove it. Bottom line is they will take away your top rated. Even if you do everything right. They make up the stats and they connect you with several non english speaking idiots at customer service costing you hours. Ebay always lies. Ebay always wins.

by: angryllama This user has validated their user name.

Sat Nov 29 18:13:37 2014

Alternate Theory of the Crime. Lo-Qual Printer, Fuzzy Zebra Stripe, Smeared Ink Jet labels, "clear" tape OVER the Zebra Stripe. Any of those are almost equally likely and your REGIONAL sorting center is automated.  Just last week I had to PITCH my own Cyan/Blue toner as it was Leaking toner and causing a FAINT blue JustSlightlyToTheRight of the right Black Vertical lines.  ODD thing this Ghost Image in Blue was only affecting the Active Fields on the LABEL. The bottom half of the print out was perfectly in register.

This user has validated their user name. by: Anonymous Annie

Sun Nov 30 06:55:00 2014

It's been my experience that the USPS is scanning things much more reliably than they've done in years past.

Still, I continue to use bright green fluorescent ''SCAN ME'' stickers as a reminder to the *last* carrier that the package should be scanned one FINAL time upon delivery.

The ''acceptance'' scan and the ''in-route'' scans are nice... but the MOST IMPORTANT scan is the ''delivered'' scan.

(See URL just below my name above.)

by: Harriet This user has validated their user name.

Sun Nov 30 17:58:35 2014

I, too, take everything to the PO and stand in line. I want to make sure everything gets scanned. So far, so good.

by: Puamelia This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 1 01:08:47 2014

@Marie, @DIANE1104 was looking for how to print a scan form for multiple packages via Ebay, not shipping labels. I've never found a way other than to laboriously process everything through my USPS account and print the form from there.

by: BillEB This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 1 01:13:19 2014

I ship from a different city every week. I am a traveling eBay business, constantly searching for new and unusual items. Buying and selling unique items from the road is my business. My Post Office experiences vary from horrible to excellent. I've been told they are not allowed to scan pre-paid labels because it is a $0 transaction. Easy fix, buy a 1 cent stamp. (Ridiculous Policy) My packages were refused because they were printed yesterday. Sometimes eBay labels will print for shipment on postal holidays. Postal clerk said to cancel, request a refund and reprint all the labels (5 foreign / 3 domestic)or....... I could simply drop them in the box and hope they get scanned by someone down the line. Really? The good post offices have been great!! Come to the commercial window and avoid the crowd. Smiling faces happy to accept my parcels with a 'thank you' for using the USPS Services. It's all about training and management.   The majority don't seem to care.

by: RichieC This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 1 01:44:51 2014

Got to say, thousands of sales a year and I'm happy!
For the most part, they have had a few mis-scans and

worrisome most...  The Dreaded No Delivery Scan!!!

But luckily, honest buyers never had a claim But have had those "Special" buyers, claim item not received, yet showed delivered!

eBay Curiosity Refund
ya, eBay

by: lindysthings This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 1 07:57:46 2014

I too have had my TRS rating taken away for late or lack of postal scans evidently. I thought we were told by Ebay that WHEN you make the label and it is entered on the Ebay site is what counts, as they know that the scan process happens at different times at different post offices. Is that not true? Why would I make printed labels from home for the money and time savings, and then go stand in a line out the door just to hand them to the clerk and get a piece of paper that says they are scanned? That is a waste of my time. Printing the labels at home and just dropping them in the bin at the P.O. is what is supposed to make life easier and save us time, which is also money! Sheesh. Will this nonsense ever end?

by: charcorvet This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 1 09:20:21 2014

Puamelia @Marie, @DIANE1104 Ok Folks I finally found ebay's elusive SCAN FORM on ebay shipping. Here's how (someone else posted this to help folks so I'm not taking credit but I learned from it too --- message appears at the top of the screen to use ebay bulk shipping up to 50 labels at one time. Click on the link.

After you populate all the necessary field, at the top of the page is a box to check to add to the SCAN form.

by: RichieC This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 1 10:43:45 2014

Sorry Lindysthings, it's not!

The first scan needs to be withing your 24 shipping time for discount! Of coarse, last scan to avoid "Special" buyers!