Wed Nov 26 2014 13:35:38

Is It Risky to Ask eBay to Increase Selling Limits?

By: Reader

I have been selling on eBay for a while now, but I am still limited to 150 items. eBay wants me to call to be able to list more, but I am afraid. I know eBay is not friendly to sellers and my rating is not 100% .

I rather fear they will reduce my limit or even cause me to lose my store. I would love to hear from others to see in my fear is bogus. I rather hope it is and I will be reassured.

Has anyone had a negative experience simply for trying to have their limit increased?
Nervous Seller

Is It Risky to Ask eBay to Increase Selling Limits   Is It Risky to Ask eBay to Increase Selling Limits

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Wed Nov 26 13:44:10 2014

@Nervous - How are your sales on eBay? Fantastic, okay or rotten? If sales aren't that great, why not consider moving your merchandise to another location? I have a store on eCrater. I don't have to pay a store fee, and I have almost 5,000 items listed. Rather than worrying about what eBay might do to you, why not go where sellers are welcomed and encouraged to sell as many items as they want?

by: kilogirl78 This user has validated their user name.

Wed Nov 26 13:50:53 2014

I've called before and got denied even though I was TRS and had 0 negative feedback. They said I didn't sell enough and to call back when I increased my sales.

All I wanted was to be able to list my accurate inventory count on a listing.  I carry 100 items of some of my products.  But the way eBay is set up, I have to set the quantity to 3 and hope someone doesn't buy all 3 of them so I can adjust the quantity without having to pay a listing fee again.

The lady was nice about denying me but it left me frustrated because I would sell more, if I could adjust my inventory quantities without hitting my limits.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ric

Wed Nov 26 14:24:44 2014

Given the fact that eBay admits they hide listings and given the fact that eBay does not have the management talent capable of figuring out how to increase sales, it does not seem logical to ask for a listing limit increase so one can put up more listings which will not be seen and/or will not sell.

The sensible thing to do would be to use the additional inventory to expand ones presence in other marketplaces instead of paying eBay for the additional listings as suggested by iheartjacksparrow .

Until eBay proves they can attract more buyers and grow sales, asking for an increase in listing limits is just asking for a bigger hole to bury your inventory in.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ed Gadfly

Wed Nov 26 16:46:48 2014

Ah, Mr. Bumble passes out the gruel and you ask, "Sir, may I please have more?"

1. You have to ask.
2. You are afraid to ask.

Who is writing the check in this relationship?
Who is the Boss?

List your stuff anywhere else.

This user has validated their user name. by: Map

Wed Nov 26 19:32:07 2014

God says "Ask and thou shall receive"

But small problem is that the Executives at ebay work for the other guy.

....But seriously if you have SNAD's and can not ship by your stated handling times then growing is not something you can handle.

by: angryllama This user has validated their user name.

Thu Nov 27 00:28:39 2014

@NervousSeller . No, I've never tried, nor ever needed to try to have selling limits raised.  I have had multiple OTC drugs among my listings and THOSE hit up against max. quantity listings of 20 per listing. I could instantly have sold all I wanted to sell, but then eBay wanted Copies of Invoices where I bought my OTC drug items.  I couldn't do that as I had bought them right off the shelves from a chain of brick-mortar liquidation stores here in Houston.  Is you LIMIT of 3 each because the items are Drugs, Food, or  Medical Instruments?  Or were they $$$$ expensive items?  Others have cited that some manufacturers like SONY limit who can sell their branded items. You say eBay says you haven't sold enough. Did they specify Quantity of Items.... or Dollar Volume?  If it is quantity of SALES, you have a fairly easy path to increasing your QUANTITY of sales, quantity of items sold.  Dig up some low cost, BARGAIN items, price them at little of no profit and let those NEW wash sales bump up your sales statistics.

by: Ebay's Slow Death This user has validated their user name.

Thu Nov 27 02:48:02 2014

Oh yeah, Ebay is only a venue.

Why are they so OBSESSED with controlling every little bit of our business!

I agree with the advice above: sell elsewhere. There really is life beyond Ebay.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Thu Nov 27 02:59:53 2014

@nervous

I think first you need to decide if whatever current issues you have on your account are significant.  Because if they are, then it is probably best not calling attention to yourself with Ebay.  You could end up with your selling limit reduced.

Now with that said, your account does not need to be perfect.  You just need to evaluate yourself.  What is your FB percentage?  How many defects do you have?  How many claims?

It would be hard for any of us here to help you determine if your numbers are high or low without knowing how many transaction you do in an average month.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Thu Nov 27 15:49:29 2014

I for one do not think that the recent huge sales drop that many sellers have seen in the last few weeks is a coincidence.  I think it has all been orchestrated by eBay.  This mission creep has been happening in increments over the last few years.  I think that they threw another lever about two weeks ago just in time for the holiday season.

If eBay wants you to list more it is only because they want your fees.  Don't think for one moment your items will get exposure.

One day a light will be shown on eBay management.  I just hope I see a few of them go to prison.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Fri Nov 28 03:00:31 2014

@rexford

And what purpose does that serve?  They may or may not get listings fees as that depends on promotions and fee listings for various store levels.  So they may or may not be making listings fees.

That aside, Ebay earns far more in FVFs.  So what purpose does it serve to bury or hide so many listings?  They are a for profit company afterall.

This isn't happening just in specific categories either.  So it isn't like not allowing us to be seen to then in turn push the sales to a mega seller to keep them happy.  Many times there aren't mega sellers for the items listed by sellers that aren't seeing exposure and/or sales.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Fri Nov 28 12:51:45 2014

Marie asks: "And what purpose does that serve?"

Since you are an authority on eBay policy, I'm sure you are well aware that the TOS states that they are not obligated to show anyone's listings. What purpose does that serve? Sellers get no views, and buyers can't find what they're looking for. At this point, nothing eBay does, no matter how nefarious, would surprise me.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Fri Nov 28 13:06:21 2014

@Jack

I am not an "authority" on Ebay policy.  I am just a seller that tries to stay current on the policies.  Like any other job, it is important to know what the rules of the job.

I am aware of what the UA states, thank you.  But that isn't what my question was about.

And once again, just because I take the time and initiative to stay current on Ebay rules the best I can , does not in any way mean I agree with them.  All it means is that I take my job seriously as I did when I worked outside the home.

This user has validated their user name. by: laurengrace

Fri Nov 28 19:10:27 2014

Ebay is risky business these days. I agree with the others who say list it elsewhere. I strongly suspect ebay will be sold in the not to distant future after they loaded it up with paypal's debt or just try and use it for a huge write off. Many executives need to receive jail time for their dirty deeds and insider trading. They have proved to like teflon so far,but I don't think that will last. Popcorn ready.Enjoy the show.

by: AC_in_Mich This user has validated their user name.

Sun Nov 30 18:48:01 2014

@Marie

I personally enjoy and respect all of the time and effort you spend in helping us out.  I know the advice you give is always dead on.  Thank you

by: sells-a-lot This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 1 03:11:34 2014

''And what purpose does that serve?''

It keeps ebay from having to pay for hardware upgrades to handle all the server traffic. Those rolling blackouts are great at pushing that off for a while longer and keeping earnings where the execs want them to be.

by: DVDsandMore This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 1 07:10:53 2014

My motto with other places, and eBay especially, is "Ask Another Helper Monkey".  If you're turned down by someone, don't waste to much time on the phone.  Accept rejection and call back and talk to someone else.

I've failed to follow this advice and wasted to much time talking to morons.  I especially liked the rep that wouldn't remove feedback that clearly, and I mean CLEARLY met the policy for negative feedback that can be removed, but felt that since I requested to cancel the transaction he first needed to determine if the buyer really wanted to cancel.

That shouldn't matter for one, and two, the person already declined to cancel. Another call to another rep had it removed in no time since it was a clear violation of eBay policy.

Ask Another Helper Monkey.

by: bluesky5 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 1 08:02:06 2014

We get it. You hate ebay. Everything they do is evil. However, there are many people that make a good living on eBay. Sure, they are frustrating at times and we don't always agree with their rules, but, their company, their rules. If my products were sitting on Wal-Mart's shelves, I'd be jumping through Wal-Mart's hoops.  That said, if you want higher limits, ask for higher limits. Unlike Oliver Twist, I'm sure  no one has ever been punished on eBay for asking for more. Regardless how you spin it, the more we sell the more they make.

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Mon Dec 1 15:27:01 2014

@bluesky5,

You've got that right, "Everything they do is evil." Not only is what they do "evil" it usually demonstrably criminal ... http://bit.ly/11F2eas

The eBay executive suite—where the incompetent mingle with the disingenuous, the malevolent and the outright criminal, and the just plain stupid ...

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 1 19:00:26 2014

@I HEART JACK SPARROW---

Is there some REASON you cannot STAND that any one ELSE has actual real knowledge of ebay policy?

If you BOTHERED to you could keep up on the rules and policy the same as @Marie does.

I disagree that the company turning a "switch"  to LOWER the number; amount and time that items will be "shown" will in any way BENEFIT them.

That is not to say that I don't think ebay execs do completly SANE things;  I don't.  And I don't think they ARE showing our listings--but this is nothing NEW. ANd it did not APPLY to the OP's question AT ALL.

But on this one I think you are wrong--and did NOT in fact ANSWER THE QUESTION. You just went off as per usual on the ONE person who DOES keep up on this stuff reliably.

Paranoid much???

by: beuler This user has validated their user name.

Wed Dec 17 02:00:00 2014

Re: comet

''I disagree that the company turning a ''switch''  to LOWER the number; amount and time that items will be ''shown'' will in any way BENEFIT them.''

Couldn't be more wrong here, ebay benefits greatly by using this model, its pure and simple...its about market control, more specifically their market. Its no different from evolution of googles pay per click model, more and more complex, pricing tiers, a complex profit driven model created from simple beginings. Why sell a whole pizza for 10 dollars when we can slice it into 40 pieces and earn $20?, better yet, the pieces that vary, say have 2 pepperoni will charge $1 for those slices, then will make a deal with pizza bob, he will take half of every pizza, we can reduce our seating, store hours, heating costs, and best yet now a more complex model, we have less customers, and we now make $28 dollars for that original $10 pizza... the stock holders will be pleased.