Sun Nov 16 2014 11:17:42

Voiding Shipping Label Requires Call to eBay for Postage Refund

By: Reader

I would like to let sellers on eBay be aware that if they void a shipping label when using eBay labels that they will have to call eBay to get the refund once the void is accepted by the USPS.

I had to void 2 shipping labels in the past couple of weeks and I have had to call eBay both time to ask for the refund once the USPS approved the void request.

In the past eBay would send an email that the void was approved and to inform you that you have received the refund. I waited 5 days after the void was accepted (you can find this information in the "Shipping Labels" section on eBay) and received no notification or refund from eBay.

Is this just another way for eBay to add to their bottom line figuring most sellers won't keep track or bother spending 30 minutes calling in to get the refund?

I have been a seller on eBay for 11 years with over 60,000 transactions and have grown completely frustrated with eBay's lack of support for their sellers.
Nathan

Voiding Shipping Label Requires Call to eBay for P   Voiding Shipping Label Requires Call to eBay for P

by: 1beck3 This user has validated their user name.

Sun Nov 16 11:46:53 2014

Not really sure I understand what you're saying.

It says you can void a label up to 5 days after creating it, not after 5 days, and then it can take up to 21 days to approve it.

Lately, it's been taking that full 21 days to come through.

Once approved, you receive the email and it says your shipping has been refunded.  Every time I've checked my PayPal balance it's been there.  Just had one last week.

The only things I've noticed over the past year (maybe two, time flies!):  There used to be a link to void labels when you opened up 'Order Details' that is no longer there.  I used to access it through my regular dashboard, now I have to open the specific ''Sold'' page and go through ''View Sales Record'' to find the link.  And, I have had issues with being able to void a label after one or two days even though ebay states you have 5 days on the Label help page. The link disappears after a day or so of printing.

But, if I void a label with 24-48 hours, which I usually do, there's been no issue like you're talking about.

by: Massachusets Howler This user has validated their user name.

Sun Nov 16 14:43:32 2014

WHAT HAPPENS when you (or ebay) prints a label on your account and the buyer does not send the item back as agreed- the seller is still on the hook for THAT label aren't they, even though it was not used?
MH

This user has validated their user name. by: Ric

Sun Nov 16 21:46:04 2014

Expect more of this kind of petty larceny from eBay as the company approaches the split from PayPal.

When PayPal is no longer inflating eBay's bottom line revenue figures, eBay will be desperate to show as much revenue on hand as they possibly can towards the end of each quarter.

As such, things like automatic refunds for voided USPS shipping labels and the requirement to call eBay in order to assure the refund is completed will become the norm.

eBay is counting on the fact that extended wait times to reach an agent will dissuade sellers from following through.

Then, at some point, the seller will forget that eBay owes them money, and the company will have succeeded in electronically stealing from their own sellers.

This kind of dishonesty which started under John Donahoe will only expand once eBay is a stand alone company.

Expect "glitches" with things like fee discounts which are not applied to accounts unless the seller is intelligent enough to catch the problem, call and endure the long wait to get what eBay should automatically be passing along were the company not so desperate and ethically challenged.

These are the kind of problems which will be the last straw for many sellers and result in yet another stampede to the exits.

I swear, John Donahoe has ulterior motives which are behind all these seller alienating processes.  Perhaps, the goal is to truly thin the seller herd once and for all.

Let's remember that John Donahoe is a Bain clone. Bain exists to break up companies, sell off parts, and scrap what is left over through bankruptcy.

As such, the real possibility exists that there is a deliberate intent on John Donahoes part to break the back of eBay.  Keep in mind that when eBay becomes a stand alone company, it will do so after inheriting all of the current debt held by what is now the combined company.

What better way to avoid having to actually pay the hundreds of millions owed than to consolidate all the debt into eBay, intentionally drive eBay into the ground with the end game being to declare bankruptcy in order to avoid paying off the debt.

This is what MBA's learn in school... This is what Bain does daily, so this may just be John Donahoes grand plan.

by: Massachusets Howler This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 17 00:02:23 2014

(Everybody should read Rics post very carefully).
MH
They are going to load up the debt on ebay, sell it for pennies on the dollar to Andreesson who will sell it to Ma.
This is going to happen, Icahn KNOWS it and is bulking up on ebay now.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Mon Nov 17 03:36:36 2014

I've been on Ebay a long time and I've never gotten a refund back on a voided USPS label that quickly.  Might just be me, but they have always waited about 30 days to refund in an effort to make sure the label never really gets used.

And it has always, for me at least, been automatic.  I've never had to call to get my refunds.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Mon Nov 17 12:03:28 2014

For the couple times I've had to void a PayPal-generated label I've waiting at least three weeks to get a refund. If the USPS gave immediate refunds, you know there would be people who would print a label, void it, wait for the refund, and then use the label.

This user has validated their user name. by: WOODJUNGLE! ON EBAY

Mon Nov 17 18:25:02 2014

WHOA.  The last thing I did before checking out Ecommercebytes was to call ebay about not received a shipping refunded on a voided label! Bizarre!! This is the first time I've had to call them about this. I called yesterday as well and the Biyatchy CSR told me to call the Post Office. WRONG ANSWER!  Very interesting...

This user has validated their user name. by: WOODJUNGLE! ON EBAY

Mon Nov 17 18:34:22 2014

It sure would be nice to be able to edit posts for the typo-prone  people.

by: Tiffee Jasso This user has validated their user name.

Tue Nov 18 02:55:32 2014

I think the OP is stating that each time you print a label, Ebay charges you 10% surcharge on that label. If you have to void it and make a new label you are charged 10% for that label also. Ebay is not refunding their fees back for the voided label without you call and asked for the credit.

by: Tiffee Jasso This user has validated their user name.

Tue Nov 18 02:58:08 2014

I am typo proned too.

by: Linda This user has validated their user name.

Tue Nov 18 08:11:55 2014

I try to never use eBay or PayPal for shipping labels. Sometimes it just to easy not to because the money is in PP. If you use UPS & make a label thru ebay or PP you can bet your *** (oops! typo) you can't reprint it!
If you use Fedex or UPS, use your own account. USPS thru eBay or PP? I decide on a as needed basis. But then I'm not a high volume seller.

by: VeryGoodVintage This user has validated their user name.

Tue Nov 18 10:09:22 2014

Post office holiday on 10/13, but ebay labels let me print them for that day anyway. Yep, found out P.O. was closed. Voided 5 labels & reprinted them. Ebay states refunds will happen within 21 days. Didn't happen. Called paypal about credit - they transferred me to ebay. Ebay then did a 3-way call with Paypal. Paypal agent refunded me immediately. Over 30 days later and only because I called.

by: a_c_green This user has validated their user name.

Tue Nov 18 10:40:57 2014

@VeryGoodVintage
> Post office holiday on 10/13, but ebay
> labels let me print them for that
> day anyway. Yep, found out P.O. was
> closed. Voided 5 labels & reprinted them.

You really didn't need to do any of that. The Post Office will accept a prepaid mailpiece that's dated the day before, especially since they were closed that day anyway. Consider that some items put in drop boxes over the weekend may sit there for a couple of days before they're collected, and no one is sending those back to the shipper.

In fact, I always date mine on the evening I print the labels, mainly so that any interested buyer will be able to see that his order was packed for shipping on the day he paid, and hand them over the counter the next day. No one even looks at the date; they just scan them and put them in the cart.

by: Tornad0sRul This user has validated their user name.

Tue Nov 18 10:59:15 2014

Some of you simply aren't reading.  It does take longer for a voided shipping label refund.  This guy jumped the gun and most of you aren't reading the other comments that provide you with accurate information.  iheartjacksparrow is correct.  There would be many more problems if the USPS gave refunds immediately for voided shipping labels.

by: Tornad0sRul This user has validated their user name.

Tue Nov 18 11:03:30 2014

@VeryGoodVintage, you must be a new seller. Why would you void shipping labels for that reason? I commonly print shipping labels on Sunday and take my packages to the post office on Monday.  Why would you think that you have to get your package to the post office the same day that you print the label?

This user has validated their user name. by: WOODJUNGLE! ON EBAY

Tue Nov 18 11:21:02 2014

Priority labels are supposed to be refunded in 15 days and always have been.  Not this time. I've been told twice I have to call the Post Office. That's bull because Ebay is the merchant on the shipping label.  Apparently, the way the shipping label contract is written up, WE are supposed to contact the PO if something goes wrong. Not Ebay.  One theory  is that Ebay is keeping these refunds until you call.  It could be an act of desperation to boost their numbers.  Who knows.

by: Tornad0sRul This user has validated their user name.

Tue Nov 18 11:41:17 2014

@WoodJungle, is it possible that EBay customer service is simply passing the buck because they are so inept?  I can think of many times when I called EBay customer service and they didn't have a clue what I was talking about and they had no resolution or answers.  I am guessing that the EBay customer service reps, who are usually of a different nationality with a language barrier, do not know what to do because the voided label refund procedure is in progress and will automatically complete in a couple of weeks.  Therefore to simply get you off their backs they tell you to call the USPS and by the time you get that done your refund may be posted.  I get the feeling that a lot of that "passing the buck" occurs at the hands of EBay customer service to simply get a nagging seller off the phone and buy some time.

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Tue Nov 18 14:15:43 2014

Problem::: Printed labels that cost you money

Solution::: Sharpies

There.  I fixed it for you.

This user has validated their user name. by: WOODJUNGLE! ON EBAY

Tue Nov 18 15:33:14 2014

Tornado.  Just calling them inept would be a compliment.