Fri Nov 7 2014 19:47:01

Sellers on Hold for Hours to Speak to eBay Customer Service

By: Reader

As a long time reader of yours I wanted to bring a topic to your attention that I think should be looked at, namely, the incredibly long phone wait times to reach anyone on the phone at eBay.

We've been selling since 2001. Phone wait times average over an hour now, and 1.5 to 2 hour holds time are not uncommon.

This isn't just a sudden spurt of calls, this is has been going on now consistently for at least a year now. It's really getting to the point we can't conduct basic communication with eBay because of their ridiculously long hold times.

We try and avoid calling them if at all possible but sometimes we have too. For example, with the new return policy if we have initiated a return and the seller doesn't respond eBay tells us to "contact us to step in". There are no buttons to select or links to follow, you are forced to call them under this situation.

Do we want to wait on hold for 1 to 2 hours over a $20 item, is it worth it?

This is becoming a real problem their lack of functional phone support and I think many readers would agree with us on this point. I think this topic would certainly be worthy of taking a look at and would have a lot of resonance for eBay sellers encountering similar frustrations over these incredibly long phone hold times.
Thanks,
Jeff

Note from the Editor: Over the past several months or so, we've been hearing similar tales of extremely long hold times of 1, 2 or 3 hours.

Sellers on Hold for Hours to Speak to eBay Custome   Sellers on Hold for Hours to Speak to eBay Custome

by: fashionista This user has validated their user name.

Fri Nov 7 20:02:52 2014

@Jeff
I was on hold last night for an hour and a half, same reason, this new resolution center / return policy is a mess.
First case, mutual cancellation, all is well buyer replied to mutual, left positive fb, so I wondered why it wasn't closed, they said buyer has to reply AGAIN that they received the refund, you can clearly see the buyer has been fully refunded, buyer says they've replied to everything. I feel awful about contacting her, but so afraid of defects.  It's ridiculous.  I said does it ever close, like before do we have an option to close if buyer doesn't respond, she didn't know.
They are so ignorant, it's ridiculous
She basically told me I had to move on, these are the new policies.

This user has validated their user name. by: Anonymous Annie

Fri Nov 7 22:26:57 2014

---- ''Do we want to wait on hold for 1 to 2 hours over a $20 item, is it worth it?''

Both you AND eBay know the answer to that question. That's-how-they-gitcha.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ric

Fri Nov 7 22:43:44 2014

Causes for long eBay customer service wait times...

1) eBay considers customer service a drain on the bottom line and reduces budgets allocations which translates into fewer agents and outsourcing.

2) eBay policies are intentionally vague which leaves users confused and needing to contact the company for explanation/clarifications.  Policy is intentionally vague so that the company can interpret situations and leverage them to advantage buyers at sellers expense.  The result is sellers making multiple calls in a desperate attempt to obtain fair treatment by and from their so called trading 'partner'.

3) eBay's systems are constantly breaking down, and when they do eBay refuses to post announcements advising users of the broken systems.  The result is hundreds or in some cases thousands of calls. eBay executives refuse to disclose system breakdowns and glitches out of fear that disclosures on a near daily basis would scare off investors and drive share prices down.

4) Outsourced customer service creates the need for longer calls since the foreign CSA's often do not understand what their callers are talking about.  Often totally unrelated responses are dispatched by the outsourced agents which results in starting from scratch and longer conversations often with zero results.

I could go on, but what is the point since nothing anyone says is ever going to result in positive changes because management has adopted the executive mindset and simply does not care.

When eBay becomes a stand alone company, users can only look forward to more of the same failed customer service performance since budgets will be cut even deeper.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Fri Nov 7 23:41:44 2014

It always amazes me when I hear stories about sellers waiting on line for an hour plus to try and address an issue with a CSR. eBay expects sellers to go above and beyond for the buyers, but eBay can't be bothered with training their reps on the company's policies, which seem to change every few minutes. I get frustrated when I'm on hold with someone for even five minutes, so I can't even grasp what it would be like to be waiting for three hours to get to talk to someone who doesn't know what's going on and can't help solve the problem. Or worse yet, get disconnected like so many people recount. I guess since eBay is so intent on riding itself of small and medium sellers, they have no incentive to try to help them.

by: ebay for dummies This user has validated their user name.

Sat Nov 8 04:21:08 2014

Well to remedy this problem is very simple actually.  All you need to do is learn to speak Tagalog which is Malou your CSR's native tongue in Metro Manila.  This will result in a 90% reduction in wait time.

by: quirkyantiques This user has validated their user name.

Sat Nov 8 09:04:44 2014

I too was on hold for over an hour just 2 days ago with Ebay. A Russian buyer (for a $38 item) kept insisting I could change the shipping address for them and send a revised quote for shipping to the US instead of the registered Ebay and Paypal address in Russia. As I know full well I can't do that-I was on hold so that they could put a note on my account to remove any negative or bad DSRs that I'm likely to get by NOT putting myself at risk. This agent sent BOTH of us a mail, mine referenced the fact that the buyer had indeed changed their registered address and that I would see it in my order details once payment had been completed. Of course- completed payment shows no such thing. Nor was I able to send a revised invoice so off that parcel goes to Russia!. Stand by for bad DSR's and feedback. Awesome....

by: fashionista This user has validated their user name.

Sat Nov 8 10:15:42 2014

well, they must be getting an earful.....I had a return request this morning, and there was this blurb, which wasn't there last week

"The buyer requested a return, but you're not obligated to accept a return for this item. Just reply to the buyer soon."

by: ebay refugee camp This user has validated their user name.

Sat Nov 8 10:36:47 2014

Yes I was on hols for 90,
70, and 45 minutes and that included the three transfers to a specialist, and then another specialist. This is unacceptable so let's all give ebay a defect for not as described because it is not customer service when they ignore what you are telling them even with proof, then another defect for late delivery having to wait for 90 minutes, and then a defect of your choice a neutral or a negative either one gives ebay another defect. Communication, could you understand the CSR agent with the thick accent? no, another defect.
So now you have given ebay four defects on one transaction.
You are ebay's customer sellers so you can do this.
Now where do you go to do this, complain about ebay.

Your state attorney general? Maybe but it too goes nowhere unless 1000's file a complaint and they are not politically affiliated with John Donahoe.
The FTC too big to care, you complaint is ignored.
The best bet is to file a police report for theft against a ebay executive of your choice, there addresses are readily available online in their stock transactions.
So four defects for you ebay, what do you have to say for yourself, nevermind it does not matter you are guilty as charged.

This user has validated their user name. by: Basset

Sat Nov 8 10:53:16 2014

Was that for a ''no returns'' item, Fashionista?

Interesting wording eBay used.

by: fashionista This user has validated their user name.

Sat Nov 8 12:27:14 2014

@basset
no, i have a 14 day policy, but the previous return, my only options were 1) pay return postage, refund in full upon receipt 2) refund and let them keep the item
TODAY there was a third option, "message buyer" then it has that blurb that we don't have to agree to the return.

by: fashionista This user has validated their user name.

Sat Nov 8 12:28:20 2014

@basset

both my returns were for fit, they said "gorgeous item didn't fit"
on cs rep said that was a defect, the other one said no.

by: RCL This user has validated their user name.

Sat Nov 8 14:36:03 2014

I usually make my calls early in the morning and I rarely have any wait. Seriously--twice this week. Night time is probably peak time.

This user has validated their user name. by: Basset

Sat Nov 8 14:46:51 2014

Fashionista - sounds like progress, dare I hope.

The third option that appeared for you is needed!  Most of my returns (14 days) are for ''fit'' or ''did not look good on me'' so I can appreciate allowance for that.

I had to request a return for a defective purchase this morning - used the ''contact seller'' method for fear I'd cause a defect if I used the regular return process.

by: fashionista This user has validated their user name.

Sat Nov 8 14:53:16 2014

#basset
I totally agree, this last one wanted to exchange it for another one. I answered that would be great, she asked, what do I do, I went to reply and can't. So I messaged her.
They are so inept, and to introduce this at the busiest time of year is ridiculous.  I don't even think they test things out any more.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Sat Nov 8 18:29:27 2014

Who was the poster this week who said (not verbatim) to those complaining, if you can build a better platform do it?  Let's see, poor customer services, glitches, data breaches, identity theft, overriding sellers' settings, stealing money from sellers for unwarranted returns, aiding and abetting buyer theft----need I go on?  I think plenty of companies have built better platforms, and that is why eBay sellers have flocked to them.

by: fashionista This user has validated their user name.

Sat Nov 8 21:36:19 2014

@rexford
it was lady (something) I think. I saw a link to her listings and she could have done better with fp on some of her items,  but to each their own.
I seem to be getting "try listing as chinese auction so your item has a better chance of selling"
Search is so broken, it's sad.

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Sat Nov 8 22:09:00 2014

I've rung eBay CS only once recently, from Australia, in the middle of the U.S. night, got through immediately ...

by: Massachusets Howler This user has validated their user name.

Sun Nov 9 04:57:46 2014

By design.
mh

by: maxmad This user has validated their user name.

Sun Nov 9 05:24:18 2014

@ebay refugee camp wrote '''' ''Now where do you go to do this, complain about ebay.There is no such place forget the BBB ebay sits on the board of the SAN Jose BBB, it is a waste of time, they pay the BBB to ignore you.
The FTC too big to care, you complaint is ignored.
The best bet is to file a police report for theft against a ebay executive of your choice, ''''''

This is correct there is NO ONE and NO Agency to file a complaint about ebay, and no one actually cares about an ebay seller.

There's ONLY ONE way to file a complaint against ebay and that's with your money, and money is the only way ebay will listen, Cancel all un-needed features for selling, no store, no highlighted listings, just bare bines, lower the amount of listings, use all other venues, take other forms of payment on your website, and don't buy anything from ebay, or buy a lot less from ebay.

There all done,, complaint filed .

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Sun Nov 9 08:19:09 2014

fashionista, I have also seen "try listing as chinese auction so your item has a better chance of selling".  Interesting descriptor, no?  LOL

Sales are pathetic as of late.  All the free listings lately are not helping.

Ho! Ho! Ho!