Thu Nov 6 2014 11:12:52

Should Etsy Roll Back Latest Update to Fix Search Bug?

By: Reader

Just an FYI, Etsy is still trying to fix whatever was broken during the last update in Mid-August. At least they are acknowledging it, and have stopped blaming sellers - however it's now November and sellers should be in full holiday swing, unfortunately many top sellers are reporting a 50 - 75% decrease in sales since late August/early Sept.

The decrease in sales numbers must be serious for Etsy to openly acknowledge the problem but sellers are frustrated that Etsy management is working on solutions to the new update rather than simply reverting back to the well functioning site design in use prior to the update. Many sellers have seen their very popular and best selling items go missing from search results entirely.

Etsy's new mobile app has an extremely low rating, while they know that the app works poorly and is frustrating for buyers to use, they have no plans to release another update until after the holidays. Sadly this is coupled with Etsy's insistence that most buyers use mobile devices which was the rationale for updating the app in the first place.

Etsy has a policy of not calling anyone onto the carpet for mistakes and instead prefers to look at problems created by poor programming in an objective post game way. This policy of not firing incompetent programmers seems to have really come to a head.
E.

Should Etsy Roll Back Latest Update to Fix Search   Should Etsy Roll Back Latest Update to Fix Search

by: Biglouis This user has validated their user name.

Fri Nov 7 02:46:56 2014

Etsy forums are full of heart breaking and desperate postings from erstwhile successful sellers who are now wondering how they will pay their mortgage and other bills at the end of this month. Its going to be a bleak Christmas for them. Poster after poster begs Etsy to roll back the changes and devolve to the ''old'' search and front page. Unfortunately Etsy has a reputation of doing what it wants to do and ignoring protests from its sellers until its own bottom line is affected.

by: rhawk This user has validated their user name.

Fri Nov 7 08:26:12 2014

I have a sickening feeling that etsy went the way of ebay search. They are getting so many stores opened up, it is easier for them to just show the top selling stores.  Ecommerce has become a giant scam for small sellers!

by: Jerseygal This user has validated their user name.

Fri Nov 7 12:43:11 2014

Just from research that I have done;  I do believe that it isn't merely the big seller wins... I think that more and more the small seller as well as the large seller needs to really specialize.... know exactly who their customer is and create a shop complete with titles,  tags and merchandise with appeal to that group.  If you search the shops that are doing well, they are real specific, and really zero'd in on their audience. If you are all over the map the bot can't get a read on you.  At least that is what I have been seeing.... I could be totally wrong!  And from what I have been reading about the latest in internet search in general,  that is the direction in which search is moving whether we like it or not...

by: Robin This user has validated their user name.

Fri Nov 7 18:15:31 2014

I was discussing the clumping issue with a programmer friend who asked why Etsy didn't just revert back to the algorithm pre-clumping?

Etsy needs to find its way back home.  It's not anger that sellers are expressing, it's sadness...and terror.  We love Etsy and it just seems broken now. :(  And there are no credible alternatives.

by: Maxie This user has validated their user name.

Fri Nov 7 19:14:07 2014

They should do whatever they need to, period.  Etsy is a well known site. Many people go directly to the site and search (like Ebay) - and search is badly broken.

I read today of a search that returns 20 results from two shops on every page, beginning on page 2 and going through page 10 (at least).  I tried it myself and saw the same results. Roughly half of the search results on every page are from 2 shops.

This is not fair to the other sellers who pay the same listing fees, nor is it fair to the searcher.

The forums are full of this issue. Many have contacted Support about it.

Crickets.

by: ebay refugee camp This user has validated their user name.

Sat Nov 8 10:47:10 2014

I checked my tahgs added more, ny titles are descriptive and my descriptions are fine.
I was doing great before the new search then it completely went south.
I contacted etsy and they did not say anything was wrong they said redo your tages, use all 20 or whatever. I already did that.
I tried to the paid search, forget that, did not help, it cost me and I got nothing.
I contacted etsy again and they indicated a search problem.
As it stands now nothing is happening as far as I am concerned.
I just get that they are working on it.
Half of my items are out of season but I do sell them in the off season but not on Etsy, they have a problem.
I am really disappointed as they were my savior as I was downsizing on ebay.

This user has validated their user name. by: laurengrace

Sun Nov 9 11:30:15 2014

@ebay refugee, On paid search You know you can customize bids and not use the default ridiculous bid they put in for you on etsy,right? I lowered all mine to .06 and i am getting traffic and conversions. It is nothing lie last year because you are all right, they again tried to fix something that was not broken. Maybe they should concentrate on the broken stuff and quit changing stuff that works. I second that motion for the rollback.

This user has validated their user name. by: Tula

Sun Nov 9 13:44:08 2014

Every year, it's the same story. Sales venues, for some inexplicable reason, decide to implement changes right at the start of the busiest selling season for most of us. And inevitably, the changes are loaded with bugs and/or cause sellers to have to do massive amounts of work to refit their listings into the new model. The same thing is happening on ArtFire right now. They revamped the site to make it easier for mobile, but the changes have caused things like blurry photos and have new "features" that don't work across all the main browsers that people use.

It's hard enough to keep up with issues on one venue, but when multiple ones are doing this, it's just an avalanche of work that we sellers who are multi-channel really don't need at this busy time of year. Other than emergency bug fixes, all development on these sites should be frozen in September. Big changes should not be rolled out until the end of January. With all the emphasis on returns and pleasing the customer, these venues need to stop making it so hard for us to keep our buyers happy.

by: cayenna This user has validated their user name.

Sun Nov 9 23:56:50 2014

I have had approx 5 sales in a year in my one etsy shop now which makes me ILL!!!!! It was going great but there's now been  NOOOOO visibility for a long time. I was regularly selling but when there was a drop I then opened a second shop and that was going well till sales dropped off the face of the earth quite a few months ago. I am now disparate. It costs me approx $200 sometimes more monthly just for one shop on etsy and because of their screwing around my bill has been more than my sales. Something has to change quick! If it isn't eBay now it's etsy. Don't they realize they are screwing around with peoples lives? This is not just an experiment. Someone needs to let them know they have to stop messing with our lives. This is real money that we have to spend and now for what eBay # two. I am so sick of it all! I called them back when I first started noticing and they tried to justify activity and ran me around in circles in their so called communication. They never did get back to me on my last comments. There has been no comparison in sales and when I check my stats it is all flat lined meaning no visibility at all. What am I paying for??? Re the clumping; one of the main items I sell is sari silk and others sell it to on etsy. I have almost 300 listings and it is the third page when I do a search before just ONE of my listings show up! Yet others duplicate silks on the first three pages taking business away from me. Nothing's fair, they have screwed up my business, my sales, my life.

by: Garcia This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 10 00:10:45 2014

I don't think anyone realizes that this is not a bug but an experiment to see if promoting certain shops will make Etsy more revenue.  It is as simple as that.  Etsy has the power to fix anything that is broken no matter what caused it.  The fact that they are not doing it means they are not losing money and they are not interested in fixing the clumping issue.  If in the future their revenue declines they will immediately fix the search.  Until then sellers are on their own.

by: Garcia This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 10 00:12:26 2014

I feel sorry for those sellers who quit their jobs in favor of selling on Etsy.  No matter how much money they were making, relying on any online site to support yourself is living on the edge and giving up control.

by: marcello This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 10 00:25:21 2014

This site truly needs new leadership!

by: Etsy Seller This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 10 00:30:40 2014

JerseyGal seems to be a rabid Etsy supporter - they can do no wrong, the sellers are stupid whingers. Sales in my shops have been absent since early September. Views are gone (maybe 2 or three a day) and maybe 1 fave a week. Ridiculous! My shops don't pay my mortgage or even afford me a dinner out once a month, but I would like to pay my Etsy bill and postage  from the proceeds. The listings fees may not be much, but they add up very quickly.

by: Etsy Seller This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 10 00:34:16 2014

Etsy cannot survive on a few shops getting promoted, leaving the rest in search limbo.
Etsy Admin needs to be changed like a dirty diaper.

by: WhoKnewIt This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 10 00:46:10 2014

"We love Etsy and it just seems broken now."  It's been "broken" the last 2 1/2 years....it started when they shut down the forums and created "Teams" thus silencing the Sellers.  When they lost the real ability to communicate openly with each other the dynamics completely changed.  Yes, it's broken and the only ones making the money are Etsy and the resellers....  but then, that's where the "money" is isn't it?

by: Watching the Wheels This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 10 04:33:18 2014

Etsy's search has ALWAYS been problematic, as have their communicating skills and their CEO's.

The Board is running the site, and if you want any changes you need to write one of them.

Chad is a yes man, who follows orders, as did Maria. Kalin was a flake who managed to get his friends to write code for an untapped venue niche, which is why it was so easy for him to find the funding.

The board is sadly lacking in communication abilities, also, but are responsive. They, at least will try. I know, because I've written letters.

The staff at Etsy have "employee mindsets", and I believe, just can't keep up with what the Board requests and don't have the cajones, to occasionally tell these people NO!

If any of you decide to write, try to remember to keep the theme business, and to try to illustrate benefits and potential profit potentials to support your ideas.

You have to remember that Etsy is only 1 of various investment vehicles for a given Board member. They will be relying on reports from Admin to let them know what is going on. IF they hear nothing different, how will they know?

by: Flying Childers This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 10 07:33:16 2014

Great comments here, and all too true. When you read about sellers who had 1000s of sales suddenly drop off the face of the earth, you know something is very wrong. Etsy search has always been subpar, but now it is totally bolloxed up beyond recognition. Everyone is scrambling to change their tags and titles without success because every day it's a new change. You can never win in the crooked casino.

by: SammyCat This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 10 09:26:11 2014

Thing is that Etsy in one form or another has always been a popularity contest and things were always skewed, and the search function and the algorithm never the greatest.

They should have focused on fixing the back-end and known issues before they messed around with how things look as though that was what was most important.  I think we all learned as children that looks aren't everything.  Where is the substance!

The treasuries were a great promotional tool but in reality unless you and your 'teamies' have lots of buyers / shoppers following you, all we are doing is spending a great deal of time promoting to each other.

With this new format things have only gotten worse.  I don't get people and things on 'my feed' that I want and when I go to 'new additions' from my fav's there is virtually nothing there.

I/We have to rely on what others find interesting, and by others I mean other shop owners liking other shops items.

Again, where do the buyers/shoppers fit into Etsy and how do we attract them through liking, hearting and sharing? I don't see it happening and I'm not too sure it ever did.  It makes us feel like we're doing something, but are we really?

At least with the old format if you were fortunate enough to be featured on the home page there was a slim chance that you'd be exposed to actual buyers and maybe get a shop fav, be followed, an impulse purchase purchase out of it and a conversion to a regular.

What's more, where the heck is Google?  I'm not getting anything from Google so has this new format messed that up as well?  Is Google not indexing Etsy like it once did because the new change meant new coding that it doesn't like or see as relevant?

Who decides what is relevant on Etsy?  What is their algorithm and what criteria is it based on?

So much we don't know and while they keep changing things we don't know about, its virtually impossible to stay on top of it all.

How many times can you take a shop with hundreds of items and tweak it on a whim and want?

Anyways, that's my rant.

by: Biglouis This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 10 09:42:37 2014

I agree partly with what Jerseygal says. You really have to ''know'' your target audience and narrow your focus onto them. The problem is that many Etsy crafters with small shops are specialists and because they are hand makers then they are always going, per se, to be small unless they begin outsourcing or employ assistants. So many of the vendors of OOAK (whether hand crafted or vintage) simply dont have the stock numbers to break into the top search pages. They are being buried under the ''numbers'' generated by those who can mass-list or duplicate identical listings across several shops. Ebay has a policy against duplicate listings so it cant be that difficult to design a program that can weed these out.

by: Becky_55 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 10 15:00:05 2014

Etsy has always seemed to be run by a bunch of kids with ADD.  Have they even gone to college?  Any marketer would know you don't take something on a roll and stop it in mid-track and change it.  They have never been able to leave something good alone. It's so frustrating.  I've been on Etsy for almost 5 years now and when I started I actually thought about where I would be in 5 years.  It sure wasn't where I am now.  I think previous posters are right - they know exactly what they are doing and what they have done.