Wed Oct 29 2014 21:03:07

Celebrity eBay Sellers Reach Top Rated Status Too Late

By: Reader

I thought you might get a kick out of this. JayAndMarie stopped selling on eBay in June 2014. Today we received notification (legitimate!) from eBay announcing we were finally "Top Rated Sellers", which is something we were never able to achieve in our many years of selling.
Jay

"Congratulations! You've achieved Top Rated Seller status, meeting eBay's US seller performance standards. To make buyers aware of your commitment to customer service, eBay will identify you as a Top Rated Seller. You are also now eligible to opt-in to eBay's new managed returns process.

Having Top Rated status also makes you eligible for these additional benefits on any of your listings that offer a 1-day handling time and 14-day or longer return policy with money back option:

20% discount on final value fees
Increased search standing when you follow our listing best practices and consistently deliver great service
A prominent Top Rated Plus seal

To make sure you maintain your eBay Top Rated status, check your Seller Dashboard regularly. Remember, in addition to satisfying other evaluation criteria, to maintain your Top Rated status, you will need to continue to upload tracking within your stated handling time on 90% or more of US transactions. Once you've maintained Top Rated Seller status for three consecutive months, your status may be eligible for a grace period - time to get back on track without losing your discounts or benefits - if you fall below the sales or tracking upload requirements.

Again, congratulations and thank you for your hard work as one of eBay's best sellers."

Celebrity eBay Sellers Reach Top Rated Status Too   Celebrity eBay Sellers Reach Top Rated Status Too

This user has validated their user name. by: Anonymous Annie

Wed Oct 29 21:23:02 2014

Translation: ''We've noticed that you stopped selling. If we compliment you, flatter you, and bribe you... maybe you'll come back.''

Nice Job, Jay! What more can I say other than to offer you a hearty congratulations! (facebook_thumbs_up.jpg)

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Wed Oct 29 21:34:24 2014

Another sign of eBay desperation. The seller exodus must be so massive that the executives are starting to experience heart palpitations. If they think things are bad now, I can't wait for the carrots they'll be dangling once November 18th arrives.

by: Russ This user has validated their user name.

Wed Oct 29 22:58:29 2014

I hope the congratulatory letter contained a PDF file so that you could print it out with Mr Donahoe's signature and the ebay logo.  So suitable for framing.

Would it be too bold to refer to eBay as lame and irrelevant?

by: LAbay This user has validated their user name.

Wed Oct 29 23:25:55 2014

I received the same email. I haven't sold or listed anything on eBay since January 2014.

by: 1beck3 This user has validated their user name.

Wed Oct 29 23:37:31 2014

So on this thread people are saying a sign of ebay desperation.  Every other thread all everyone says is ebay is trying to knock off as many Top Rated Sellers as possible with the new policies.

So which is it then?  You all need to pick a lane.

This user has validated their user name. by: SellSellSell

Wed Oct 29 23:56:23 2014

Sounds like the ebay ego and attitude is watching the foundation crumble and thinking, "what happened"?

by: odona This user has validated their user name.

Thu Oct 30 00:12:16 2014

Sounds like you just hit the 12 month mark since your last "defect"...try again and see how long you maintain the TRS...

by: AngelaTC This user has validated their user name.

Thu Oct 30 00:22:01 2014

Wow - JayAndMarie are now former eBay sellers?  That's the end of an era.

This user has validated their user name. by: bitbybit

Thu Oct 30 01:19:52 2014

Just for kicks another notice. This is for non-celebrity eBay sellers.

''We're writing to let you know that as of the most recent monthly evaluation, your account didn't meet one or more of the US seller performance requirements for Top Rated Seller status and your grace period has ended.

We know that the benefits of being a Top Rated Seller are important to you and we want to help you regain your status as soon as possible. Visit your Seller Dashboard to find out which areas need attention and the Top Rated Seller Resource Center for the steps you can take right away.

Thank you again for selling on eBay. You're a valued member of the eBay community and we look forward to welcoming you back to the ranks of Top Rated Sellers very soon.''

My sales dropped because ebay was hiding my listings. Hard to keep sales up if only a few buyers here or there are  shown my listings.

Just goes to shows, whether celebrity or non, ebay is a day late and many millions short.

This user has validated their user name. by: Anonymous Annie

Thu Oct 30 06:15:17 2014

---- ''So which is it then?  You all need to pick a lane.''

Rather than finding fault with we who analyze and criticize and comment on eBay's irrational behavior... I think it's more appropriate to consider and reflect on what's actually happening.

It's a sign of a dysfunctional company without true leadership... without coordination and without communication between each department. The left-hand has no clue what the right-hand is doing.

by: simerivergun This user has validated their user name.

Thu Oct 30 06:28:23 2014

Hello!  I, also, have had my items hidden by Ebay since May 1, 2014.  I talked to Ebay and they said it was a glitch.  I have just put all my items on Best Offer so maybe I can sell something this Holiday season.  I have started a new website and hope to have it up and running by November 1, 2014.  I am late in realizing how really evil Ebay is with the sellers.  I pay a monthly fee and I do not get any exposure.  I have no watchers and no viewers.  I was top seller in my field last Holiday season and Valentine's too.  I am now invisible.  It seems Ebay has a rule built in to its programs that if you get a 30 day suspension then you get a 30 day top of the search period.  Therefore I should have caused myself to get shut down for 30 days so I could have the 30 days Top Search.  It makes sense to Ebay to reward a bad seller who broke the rules with a boost on the Ebay search engine.  It doesn't work this way if you close yourself down for a month, you have to actually achieve a set down by Ebay for an infraction of the rules to get the Top Search Award.

Thanks, Ina, for this Post.  You make my day!

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Thu Oct 30 07:21:34 2014

1beck3, I'm not sure how long you have been reading the ecommercebytes blog, but if you've been reading news here for many years like many of us, you would know that eBay themselves can't "pick a lane".  Their policies change on a moment's notice, and are contradictory.

What you are now seeing is a company that has to stand alone without PayPal as the wind beneath their wings. Management are so discombobulated and their policies reflect this. They have no vision whatsoever. One day they are emulating Amazon. The next day they are emulating Pinterest. One day auctions are dead and the next day they are promoting auctions.  One day they are trying to rid the site of "flea market" sellers and the next day they are looking for new sellers who want to "clean out their closet" or sell their old mobile phones.

eBay's defect system was truly devised to rid the site of sellers, and the emails that these ex-sellers are receiving IS an attempt to get them back.

It's just another day on eBay.  As far as picking a lane, it's like driving the wrong way on a freeway ramp and finding that all lanes are filled with 18-wheeler semis headed right toward you.

by: dr shock This user has validated their user name.

Thu Oct 30 10:04:25 2014

If the truth was known I think eBay still derives most of their income from small to medium sellers. The big companies were probably given sweetheart deals (no listing fees & reduced final value fees)because Dumbahoe wanted to turn eBay into Amazon Lite.

The big companies don't need eBay, the minute eBay tries to raise their fees or interfere in their business they'll leave (along with a nice email list of customers to send to their own website.)

I think ebay has finally realized that but you have a CEO whose ego is too big to admit he's made a mistake. They're going to have to change some of these abusive seller policies or eBay's upcoming earnings are going to be abysmal.

This user has validated their user name. by: monkey

Thu Oct 30 11:18:24 2014

Good post 1beck 3. I'm living proof.

I backed off of selling on eBay this summer, and I've probably sold 5 items in 4 months for a total of about $100.

Yet I'm still TRS. So can someone tell me why eBay doesn't demote me? I thought that eBay was scheming to eliminate Top Rated Sellers.

by: a_c_green This user has validated their user name.

Thu Oct 30 11:38:05 2014

Um, am I the only one who has no idea who JayAndMarie are? :-(

by: wheredidebaygo This user has validated their user name.

Thu Oct 30 11:40:43 2014

I have many friends on the West Coast...most are former high volume eBay sellers, now selling on Etsy, Amazon or their personal Websites. They recently started a pool....Pick The Date You Will Get This Email From EBay. ''WE WANT YOU BACK!'' Sometime in March? April after 3Q earnings release? Wish I could be a part of it as the winner will be treated to a fabulous lunch at the San Francisco restaurant of their choice.

This user has validated their user name. by: Basset

Thu Oct 30 11:57:47 2014

I've never heard of JayandMarie either, AC. You are not alone.

Otherwise - What Rexford says. eBay seems so 'all over the place' in their behavior that perhaps meds are called for.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Thu Oct 30 13:17:32 2014

Didn't Donny and Marie have a brother named Jay? ;)

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Thu Oct 30 13:55:57 2014

I'm another person who's never hear of JayAndMarie. If they're celebrities in the online selling community, they must sell expensive items that I wouldn't be buying.

by: mb This user has validated their user name.

Thu Oct 30 14:13:41 2014

I used Google and got this:
I guess they were ''famous'' a few years ago.
I'm not a celebrity either, and I'm perfectly happy this way.  FWIW at our house, the biggest celebrity is that guy who tries to eat 100 vienna sausages at once on youtube.