Sun Oct 26 2014 21:54:08

eBay Seller Stuck with Negative Left By Deadbeat Buyer

By: Reader

A few months ago, I had a problem with a buyer who left a negative before paying for the item. After several emails, it was clear the buyer was not going to pay under any circumstances. The amount in question was very negligible.

After going back and forth several times, I filed a NPB report. eBay immediately removed the negative - and for good reason. When the buyer received the notice from eBay, he paid. eBay then had the audacity to replace the negative.

I can think of no good reason for eBay to replace the negative - other than making sure I would lose my 20% discount.

Upon telephoning and reaching Customer Support, I was informed eBay was not going to remove the negative it replaced. I asked to have the phone call escalated to a higher authority. I was transferred and - you guessed it - put on an extensive hold. I held and I held and I held. The hold went to a dial tone and I had to phone back.

I phoned back, told the CSR I had been cut off and asked to be escalated once again, was transferred again and put on hold. After a lengthy hold, I again heard nothing but a dial tone. This scenario was repeated more than five times and each and every time after holding for a lengthy time, all I received was a dial tone.

Clearly I was never going to connect with any person who might be able to help me in this Catch-22. Clearly eBay is purposely trying to keep me - and probably many others - from resolving any conflict or situation in his/her own favor. After all, eBay doesn't want to give any seller a discount when eBay clearly knows it screwed up the situation from the beginning.

Am I the only one in such a flux? Does anyone ever been to overcome eBay's gangster tactics? I did nothing wrong in this situation. I suspect the buyer was in fear of being restricted from buying. This is not in eBay's favor. They want to increase sales and decrease expenses.

Now I am stuck with this problem for another 8 months or so.

Anyone have any ideas? Anyone overcome this problem? Anyone with the same problem?
D.

eBay Seller Stuck with Negative Left By Deadbeat B   eBay Seller Stuck with Negative Left By Deadbeat B

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Sun Oct 26 22:47:19 2014

Since Customer (Non) Support is no help, I'd try contacting eBay's legal counsel:

Michael Richard Jacobson, Esq.
eBay Inc.
2145 Hamilton Avenue
San Jose, California 95125
e-mail: mikej@ebay.com

This is public information via the State Bar of California web site.

by: Go tell the Spartans This user has validated their user name.

Sun Oct 26 23:52:33 2014

File a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. The office of the president will then respond

This user has validated their user name. by: LasVagueness

Mon Oct 27 00:04:25 2014

Specifics as to why the buyer left a neg prior to paying would have been helpful in assessing the situation.

This user has validated their user name. by: Kitty Ninja

Mon Oct 27 00:11:21 2014

Yes...file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau (been there done that and doing it AGAIN!). If you can substantiate your claim with the "wrong doing" you will prevail. I did the first time around. Still in process for the second claim right now.  Here is the link:

by: PowerSeller2007 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 27 00:50:27 2014

No CSR would help any seller when it comes to giving you back stolen TRS refund. They will be FIRED instantly by their ebay LORD!

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Mon Oct 27 03:01:25 2014

OP

Ebay's lack of customer service is completely unacceptable.  We pay our fees for a service.  Part of that service requires time with a CSR on occasion.  Due to Ebay's lack of respect for its sellers and all the unannounced changes, the CSRs get so many calls they can't keep up.  Sellers keep getting blindsided by some change that was never released.  It just showed up one day.  Lots of confusion and un-need anger happens because of this business practice they repeat over and over and over again.

Now with you problem.  I do understand why you are upset, it is a rare situation, but Ebay actually followed the policy as stated on the site.

Your buyer did pay, slow as it may have been, but they did pay, therefore they retain the right to leave FB.

You may have been better served to see if you couldn't calm your buyer down so they would do a FB revision.  Ebay would never help you with this problem as per policy the buyer had the right to leave the FB.

Also one negative FB from this buyer could in no way cost you the 20% discount of TRS plus status.  You would have to have other things going on as well.  One buyer and one defect can not take that away from you even on a bad day.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ed Gadfly

Mon Oct 27 06:19:19 2014

The Better Business Bureau is a scam. They are in bed with business and they are not napping.

eBay's lawyer, LOL, let us know how that works out.

How do you like Marie's "blame the victim?" Whatever your record, does that deserve the passive-aggressive hang-ups on the phone?

You want the answer? You want the truth and a solution?

Leave eBay now. Do not wait until after Christmas. Leave now.

eBay is like the movie Wargames. The only way to win the game is not to play. The Golden Age of eBay has passed.

Go to wix.com. Make a site, add a shopping cart. Create content to show up on search engines.

I told you the truth. I am not making one dime off of you. My advice does have value.

Please pay this forward. Do something nice for another person today. Thank you for reading, and good luck in your efforts.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Mon Oct 27 07:24:58 2014

eBay holds deadbeat buyers in high esteem.

How many stories like this one have we heard over the years (or experienced first hand)?

Once again, eBay prove that their customers (i.e. their fee paying sellers) get no respect.

by: Maui5150 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 27 07:26:56 2014

One of my last negative feedbacks was for something similar.

I had sold an item  for about $500.  1st buyer never responded to about 5 invoices and 3 emails over 10 days.  As part of my listing, I have had that I reserve the right to relist or offer to 2nd highest bidder after 3 days if unpaid.  2nd highest bidder was a good customer.  Sold it to them and went through to cancel the order.  On the very last day, the 1st buyer paid, I refunded their money, told them it has been a month at that point and sold to 2nd highest bidder.  They took a coniption and filed negative.  They also claimed they had been in the "hospital" had "no access" to email and I was a "sick and mean person".

Hmmm... This was a few years ago... Back when you could search a persons buying as well as really see their feedback.

Turns out, while they were "in the hospital" and "had no access"  they had not only PURCHASED 3 or 4 other items, they had PAID FOR and RECEIVED them because they left feedback.

My 2nd highest paying customer was an angel.  Hated seeing me get dinged with the negative, and offered to send them the pants, as long as they paid the original amount AND REMOVED my negative.  The 1st buyer agreed, but you guessed it... They refused to remove the negative.

C'est la vie.  Karma is a bitch, and yes, I have been waiting

by: Lois This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 27 07:28:50 2014

I had a similar problem with Customer Service Rep a few years back. Slight change in scenario. Buyer left negative, but said it was an error and wanted to change it.

We went back and forth with eBay.

Rep said she knew it was wrong but she had to deny our mutual request.

I asked her how she could continue to work for a business that told its reps to lie and do wrong things.

She cried and said, "I have to support my children."

At which point, I responded, "What to you think you are teaching your children?"

She cried some more. But nothing changed.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Mon Oct 27 07:38:40 2014

Marie says "Also one negative FB from this buyer could in no way cost you the 20% discount of TRS plus status."

I've really never liked this justification. One undeserved negative with defects might tip someone over to non-TRS.

We once had a buyer buy three items on separate days of the same week, and she refused to pay for any of them, but later paid, and paid very late.  Had this buyer left negatives for each transaction, we would have taken a big hit.  And undeservedly so.

Policy or no policy, OP did nothing wrong here if the facts presented are correct.

This is just insane and unfair eBay policy, and OP does not deserve this.

by: salukisal This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 27 09:13:00 2014

BAIL OUT of Ebay, people!  They care nothing about you as a seller, only about the next million dollars they can stuff in their greedy, self-serving pockets.  Go somewhere else and sell...you'll be much happier.  I'm doing it and so should you.

by: moonmyst This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 27 10:00:10 2014

I have to agree with LasVagueness on this one. It would be interesting to know why the customer left negative feedback before he even paid for the item, and what exactly was his complaint.

I'm a buyer as well as a seller and this situation reminds me of the time I purchased an item thru Buy it Now. Normally, I pay immediately, but got sidetracked. Two HOURS later, the seller began contacting me demanding I pay immediately. The seller was new to eBay and extremely rude in how he handled his request for payment. Perhaps this seller who wrote into Ina actually initiated the negative feedback. Again, hard to determine without all the facts.

by: ebay refugee camp This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 27 10:24:31 2014

No, You are not the only one. This happens all the time and it is ebay's customer service practice to do that.
Plain and simple ebay has horrible customer service, bad policies and awful management.
Ebay is siding with the buyer in almost every case, even when it is clear the buyer is wrong. Ebay is even violating their own policies.
We are all victims of a CEO who is forcing bad, ignorant and failing policies on sellers and is not going to change them because this CEO HAS TO BE RIGHT and is unable admit his mistakes and seems to enjoy this.
Ebay's 100% buyer protection is the problem, ebay has guaranteed buyers they will get what they ordered or they will get their money back.
Well if the seller is NOT at fault that means ebay has to pay the buyer, that is the problem.
The CEO of ebay has sent orders that the buyer is always right, they are using the sellers funds in order to fund their ill thought buyer protection.
Ebay claims to have seller protection, report a buyer, and other safeguards for a seller forget that it does not matter if you are right and the buyer is wrong.
The CEO of ebay is suffering from Narcissism, the inability to admit when wrong, cannot apologize and  frequent lying. Yeah that is about right.
You have a wealthy CEO who has always been wealthy, as people get richer, they feel entitled, to exploit others,  cheat and bully.
sellers are dealing with this on ebay. These are classic mental illnesses and fit the CEO of ebay like a glove.
Sellers are suffering because you have a wealthy individual who has convinced himself he is perfect and he is entitled to do whatever he wants because he is wealthy.
The good news in severe cases like this it often ends badly for the mentally ill wealthy person, so we will no doubt see this CEO crash and burn it is just a matter of time that it all blows up in his face and when that happens he will implode.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Mon Oct 27 10:30:24 2014

@Maui5150 - I had a similar experience to yours. Had a guy bid up a $5 item to $40. As soon as the auction was over he tells me he really wants the item but he's having financial problems. He had purchased from me before with no issues so I believed him. After three weeks with no payment, I checked his account for feedback, and saw that during those three weeks he was buying a huge amount of stuff and getting glowing feedback. Apparently he decided he really didn't want to pay that $40. I contacted him to tell him what I found out and that I was selling to the next bidder. He got really indignant and left me a negative. Well, those were the good old days where I could do the same, and did. He accused me of ruining his account, as it was the third ID he'd created since he'd abandoned the others for negative feedback for non-payment.

by: nothingnew This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 27 10:45:45 2014

WOW! THATS INSANE! never heard ebay adding a neg?

by: Tornad0sRul This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 27 10:55:34 2014

I agree with Ed Gadfly.  There is absolutely no reason or excuse for the horrific customer service that is provided to EBay sellers, especially considering the  fees that we pay them. Marie is giving nothing but ridiculous and pathetic excuses for the unbelievably horrid customer service.

What this writer described about his experience with EBay customer service is 100% accurate.  Trying to rectify a problem with EBay customer service is like banging your head against the wall over and over again, even when you have solid evidence.  EBay's seller customer service is disturbing to say the least.  It's so demented that I am actually surprised that they get away with it.

It would be nice to know the whole story, but even if this seller did anything wrong I can say from firsthand experience that the ineptness of EBay's customer service is shocking.  I have never in my 49 years of life ever seen a company as large as EBay get away with such blatant abuse and mistreatment of customers.  I am 100% positive feedback Top Rated Seller for years now and it was nearly impossible only because of EBay, not because of the criminal thieves.  I  had solid evidence clear in EBay's own message system yet I also received the hang ups, long holds, and being abused by their customer service.  I was told terrible things by customer service reps such as "it is Business 101 to expect loss by theft", or "Walmart would gladly give a refund for returning something."  Supervisors who were "in a meeting" or who never called back.  It's shocking to me that a company can do these things and get by with it.

by: mazelgirl This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 27 11:36:44 2014

They're not purposely trying to make you lose your 20%. I don't believe they are purposely trying anything--the company lead by JD is just completely screwed up--It's like the lights are on but nobody's home. The zombies are just roaming the building.

by: a_c_green This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 27 11:38:56 2014

@nothingnew:

> WOW! THATS INSANE! never heard ebay adding a neg?

Me neither. It would be very helpful if we could see any specifics at all on this.

Was the original Neg due to the buyer wanting to cancel the purchase and the seller declining to do so? (I'm not suggesting that the buyer was right to do so, or that the seller was wrong; it's just that that seems to be a common occurrence.)

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 27 12:04:19 2014

@REXFORD and @ED GADFLY---

I would love it if one day you would go and READ what @MARIE and others have to SAY before you fly into a rage that they even dared to POST something here.

In this case @MARIE flat out SAID that ebay customer service is HORRIBLE---and that NONE of us should have to put up with this esp since WE are PAYING for this "service".

I fail utterly to see HOW this is NOT supportive of the OP here.

I also FAIL to see how EXPLAINING the ebay stated policies is "Victim Blaming"  in any way.

Now--- NONE of us AGREE with these policies.  And some are just so far over the top that it is hard to believe that such policies could exist.  Yet---they do---and we are stuck with them. Is what they did here RIGHT?  NO!   However---it IS their policy and in this case--hurtful tho we ALL agree it was to the OP---it IS the policy.

I don't like it;  you don't like it;  Marie doesn't like it.

Is there anything we can do to CHANGE it?  Well--I for one highly doubt that getting in touch with ebays attorney is going to do---anything.  After all-==they PAY him to enforce their crackheaded rules.  He is just as corrupt as the REST of ebays "management"

And as far as I know the BBB merely takes a "report"  and passes it along to a company that has PAID (again--as far as I know)  to be a "Member"  of their circle.  AS far as I know they have no "power"  to do ANYTHING to for or about a business.  Now--a NORMAL company that CARED about it's reputation and how it was dealing with it's CUSTOMERS might respond to these complaints via the BBB as it is good business.

WE all KNOW however that ebay doesn't give a rats patootie about it's reputation (what is has left of it)  and or it's customers satisfaction or even if it HAS customers.  WE are slime;  scum;  noise and we are all universaly theives and liars.

If Bloomingdales stood at the doors of it's stores and harassed the vendors brining in their merchandise and started yelling foul comments at the paying customers--HOW LONG do you think THEY would be in business?

If I am wrong on how the BBB functions please let me know--living in Cow Town doesn't give me much interaction with this sort of stuff.

And yes--having more info on this might make it easier to see what went on OTHER than what the OP sent in---and would let us see if they might have other "issues"  on their account that would cause them to fear for their TRS.  Altho I don't for one split SECOND trust ebay to NOT be counting these things against us as far as STATED SEARCHABLE POLICY goes---this should not affect a TSR status.

1 2 3  [Next Page]