Fri Oct 24 2014 10:20:27

Seller Says eBay Relist Change Amounts to Bait and Switch

By: Reader

eBay made another change to the automatic relistings scheme that you might not be aware of, I just noticed the message this morning. From now on, those automatically relisted items WILL count toward a seller's allotted free listings count which was not the case before.

So to avoid having this count against their free listing count, sellers need to uncheck that box at the end of the listing.

There are a couple huge problems with this.

First of all, there are sellers who have thousands of accumulated listings live right now that have the box checked. It's probably not humanly possible for them to uncheck all those boxes since Ebay offers no way to do that in bulk, it has to be done on a listing-by-listing basis. So they will get charged a listing fee for any of the automatically re-listed listings that go beyond their usual allotment of free listings, this in addition to having the automatically re-listed items eat their free listing allotment away.

It's also a problem for people who have a lot of items from the past unlisted right now but ready to be relisted in the event of a free listing special. For example, I have about 3,000 unlisted items where the box is checked. If I want to take advantage of free listing special, I will need to re-check all those boxes to avoid being charged an insertion fee once the item is automatically re-listed.

So this whole automatic re-listing scheme seems to be a fairly nasty example of bait and switch. They got people to check the boxes under one set of conditions and have no changed the conditions drastically to, as usual, favor themselves and penalize the buyer.
Greg

Note from the Editor: See today's Newsflash story for more information on this change.

Seller Says eBay Relist Change Amounts to Bait and   Seller Says eBay Relist Change Amounts to Bait and

by: Massachusets Howler This user has validated their user name.

Fri Oct 24 12:56:42 2014

WHEN will ebay be investigated?

WHEN?????????????

Mass Howler

This user has validated their user name. by: shabbychick

Fri Oct 24 14:17:56 2014

I have always suspected that was the same reason they jump from 7 day unlimited free listings to ''oh now its 10 days free listings''

''oh now you can add a free subtitle.''

''oh now we are back to 7 day no subtitle.''

How many unsuspecting folks get caught up in that before noticing when they bulk listed they were charged.

Multiply that by 100s of thousands of listings and Ebay has made 100s of thousands of dollars each time!

This user has validated their user name. by: shabbychick

Fri Oct 24 14:18:48 2014

I know the scam works because I know about it and I still get caught.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ric

Fri Oct 24 14:42:01 2014

eBay?  Bait & Switch?  That is eBay management's basic operating principle.

Virtually every change eBay imposes is little more than a set up to maximize revenue with future fee increases.

In eBay's desperation to please their Wall Street Masters ( the people who basically run eBay anyway )the company finds that since they are unable to grow revenue through increased sales volume, their only alternative to please their masters is to find other ways to increase revenue.

That translates into fee increases.

Remember the huge push to get sellers to subscribe to stores?  They essentially told sellers they would be able to list more items at a lower cost if they subscribed.

The next thing you know, after eBay saw they had maximized the number of sellers who opened new stores, management raised the subscription fees for stores.

The end result, eBay gave away a few pennies for a short period of time knowing full well that they would recover the lost revenue because the subscription increase was already baked in.

Bottom line is that management's intent was to increase the number of sellers with stores, then, increase the subscription fee to help hide the lack of growth in revenue from sales.

If management concentrated as much effort on reversing all the so called changes designed to grow sales which have fully failed to accomplish their goals, and focused instead on partnering with sellers to make each one successful, there would be no need for all these insidious changes and fee increases.

by: Massachusets Howler This user has validated their user name.

Fri Oct 24 16:03:10 2014

nice Rick.
MH

by: McBob This user has validated their user name.

Fri Oct 24 20:32:44 2014

I'm the one who actually submitted this to Ina and there was an error in the message - there's a spot where it says "re-check" the boxes where it should say "un-check" the boxes. Somebody else made a comment about this being bait-and-switch in the comments under the main story about the Ebay changes so it seems others have caught on to this obvious bait and switch tactic.

by: tango This user has validated their user name.

Fri Oct 24 21:51:43 2014

Is that Box - field - not addressable with an API - I would think it probably is.

This user has validated their user name. by: Tula

Sun Oct 26 17:47:12 2014

I'm always extra-careful when using the bulk lister. One ongoing bug is that you have to be sure to have one less than the total number of free listings available in order for it to work. For example, if you have 100 free listings available, you can only do 99 at once without it showing a listing fee. I don't know if that carries through to actually submitting the items, since I haven't risked it. The error is probably due to a programmer using an array index as part of the calculation. In most programming languages, an array (list of items) starts with an index of 0, so for 100 items, the last index would be 99, not 100. It's a common issue, but one that even novice software developers should be aware of. It doesn't inspire confidence, hence my own reluctance to risk submitting a batch of items and hoping the fee won't actually be charged.

by: Maui5150 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 27 08:41:27 2014

I have NEVER used that feature for that reason - I always thought those came off the listing amounts anyways.  But especially with free listing periods of 10 days, subtitles, etc., I always double and triple check things to make sure I all of the sudden am not relisting a feature that was free and now all of the sudden I am paying an extra $10 a week because it is no long gree.

by: moonmyst This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 27 10:06:05 2014

I'm a small seller and also got nailed with their offering free subtitles and then stopping without notice. Especially for me, the added surprise fees were draining.

I actually thought the one extra re-list, instead of three, is still free. Doesn't it state it's free? I'll have to look again. Thanks for the heads up.

This user has validated their user name. by: cfrphoto

Mon Oct 27 14:10:33 2014

The problem is trying to manage thousands or even hundreds of listings from the eBay web interface. Medium and larger sellers would be better off using a desktop tool like the SixBit Software ecommerce solution to manage listings and sales fulfillment. I am guessing the even TurboLister would have the capability to change relist settings. The advantage of using an off line listing tool is the ability to schedule listings for free and manage and control the new listing or relisting process.

Another major advantage is having the ability to retain listings in a database not controlled by eBay. Listings deleted from the eBay database are likely to be gone forever.

by: TexasTwister This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 27 20:51:53 2014

I haven't received a free listing special in months. I have a lot of unlisted, auction style listings sitting in my ''unsold'' queue. Ina keeps me informed about all the specials eBay is offering, but I don't get them anymore. As a low volume TRS, I guess I'm on the way out...