Sun Oct 19 2014 20:36:24

eBay Sent Me an Email Showing Someone Else's Email Address

By: Reader

Thought you might find this interesting, received this email from eBay this morning. At the bottom of the email it shows someone else's email address, I am not (redacted)@yesmail.com, my registered email with eBay is (redacted)@att.net.

This is quite disturbing. Please ask your readers if they have also received an email like this, many may not even scroll to the bottom to notice so they might be unaware. I just received the email at 10:04am CST.
Cindy

Note from the Editor:
We received the same eBay marketing email today from eBay Fashion Sales & Events with the subject line, "We (heart) Gucci: shop handbags and accessories." It too contained the incorrect email address at the bottom, where it stated: "eBay Inc. sent this e-mail to you at (redacted)@yesmail.com because your Notification Preferences indicate that you want to receive general email promotions."

eBay Sent Me an Email Showing Someone Else's Email   eBay Sent Me an Email Showing Someone Else's Email

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Sun Oct 19 21:42:44 2014

eBay is getting ridiculous. Every day there is some "glitch" or other problem with the site. It would be nice if they could spend time and resources to make sure that everything will work as it's supposed to. How happy can buyers be when they can't even sign into their account (which happened to me today)?

by: Moonwishes This user has validated their user name.

Sun Oct 19 23:03:51 2014

Reminds me of the letter we got from 'Obamacare' the other day. Addressed to my husband, but RE: a couple with a name that we don't know and certainly isn't us. Of course at the bottom of the letter was their lovely 'privacy' statement that they put on US documents. So I copied the letter, highlighted hubby's name, the couple's name and the privacy statement and sent it back to them. Wonder how long it will take to hear back from them. It has been several weeks already.

All their striving for privacy  seems to be getting companies into even worse problems.

by: sundance This user has validated their user name.

Sun Oct 19 23:06:01 2014

Am I surprised??  Nope.  Everything on ebay is so topsy turvy and has been for a long time. It used to be such fun there.

by: Grandma_Fish This user has validated their user name.

Sun Oct 19 23:07:45 2014

I haven't received an email with another person's email address (yet). But I did notice that the last two promotional emails I received through ''My Messages'' inbox were not sent to my registered email address. I generally receive them both in ''My Messages'' on eBay and also at my regular email address and I haven't changed my eBay preferences that I can recall. (I wish PayPal would ''forget'' to keep sending me those dumb ''You've got (blank) free bucks to spend at (blank) business!'' emails!)

by: ConnecticutGal This user has validated their user name.

Sun Oct 19 23:24:38 2014

Could it be phishing?

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Mon Oct 20 01:02:20 2014

Says it all about the whole of eBay's database management ...

The eBay executive suite—where the incompetent mingle with the disingenuous, the malevolent and the outright criminal, and the just plain stupid ... http://bit.ly/11F2eas

by: GypsyWitch This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 20 07:10:39 2014

MOONWISHES: Good for you!!!! About time someone gives it right back to these government IDIOTS!!!! But don't hold your breath expecting to hear back from them. I'm sure that letter was shredded after someone said "oh, we had a glitch, like Feebay"!!! LOL!!!!

by: a_c_green This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 20 12:04:21 2014

Question for either Ina or Cindy: Was the part of the address that you (redacted) correct for your account? i.e. was the ''@yesmail.com'' portion the only incorrect part of the text? If not, did you both receive the same wrong email address?

If so, it sounds like someone botched their mail-merge procedure. If you're looking at a completely different email address, and not just some mangled version of your own, it might be interesting to send that person an email and ask them what _they_ received.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Mon Oct 20 14:38:03 2014

@a_c_green - I thought the example was going to be "davidsteiner" because of the "da" at the beginning, but the last two letters are wrong.

by: Cindy This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 20 18:48:35 2014

@ac green, the yesmail.com email was the incorrect email and did not belong to Ina or myself, it was the same email for both of us, possibly the same for everyone though I have no way of knowing that.  I have thought about sending @yesmail an email, I am also able to unsubscribe that person as well if I click on the unsubscribe link.  I have to wonder if anyone received an email with my information at the bottom.  It's just disturbing.

by: Cindy This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 20 18:49:35 2014