Fri Jan 24 2014 22:29:48

eBay Foists GSP on Seller Upon His Acceptance of User Agreement

By: Reader

It has been some time ago since I read the story of how eBay is using updates to eBay user agreements to force the Global Shipping Program on to sellers. I originally read news of this at ecommercebytes.com.

As a result of reading about this possibility, I have procrastinated in accepting the user agreement when it would pop-up from time-to-time on my eBay site. I knew that I would eventually have to accept it, and this evening I finally did.

I was immediately opted into the Global Shipping Program. Not only was I opted in, I now have to wait 24 hours to opt out. I find it ironic that I have to wait 24 hours to opt out of something that I never opted in to. I was able to bulk edit my listings and take it out of the current active listings, but to opt out of the program altogether, I have to wait 24 hours.

I view these tactics by eBay sneaky, underhanded and downright dishonest. It appears the only way that eBay can get some sellers onboard with the Global Shipping Program is to force them into it. Thankfully I had read of this at EcommerceBytes.

I called customer support to complain about these tactics, but I got little sympathy. Of course that is what I expected.
Steve

eBay Foists GSP on Seller Upon His Acceptance of U   eBay Foists GSP on Seller Upon His Acceptance of U

This user has validated their user name. by: Ric

Fri Jan 24 23:02:35 2014

If/when it becomes necessary to accept the User Agreement and be coerced into the Global Shipping program without the ability to opt out for 24 hours, I will simply put my store on vacation for as long as it takes to be able to opt out and remove it from my listings.

I will not allow eBay to force me into potentially violating federal law.

I sell in the computer category, and as such, from time to time, some items I list may be illegal to export to certain countries. I choose not to ship internationally so that the question of legality is wholly and completely avoided.

I will not allow eBay to force me into potentially violating federal law and, in the event eBay attempts to do so, I will be contacting my elected officials, as well as my state attorney general.

This user has validated their user name. by: bitbybit

Fri Jan 24 23:11:58 2014

Same thing happened to me. Now I am wondering if I go to opt out of my listings will become even more invisible. Sellers I believe are now in a ''dammed if you do and don't'' situation. Well same thing, I guess, with having a store or not. It is like rolling dice anymore on ebay on what to do.

I am finding the GSP so overpriced that international buyers are no longer buying from small sellers at least on US ebay.com.

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Sat Jan 25 00:18:02 2014

"I view these tactics by eBay sneaky, underhanded and downright dishonest."

So, what's new? ...

by: Toy Lady This user has validated their user name.

Sat Jan 25 08:43:06 2014

As an ebayer based in Canada, I highly encourage U.S. sellers to opt out of the GSP if you're shipping internationally.

In my almost 16 years on ebay, I have purchased many items from U.S. sellers. Now, the cost is prohibitive. The shipping cost is excessive, and while in the past items I purchased may have subject to duty/taxes, 95% of the time my purchases were delivered with no duty/taxes owing. With GSP, I have to pay these with every GSP purchase from a U.S. seller.

As a good majority of U.S. sellers are in the GSP, I have stopped looking at U.S. listings in general.

But to all U.S. sellers in the GSP, thank you. You have exponentially increased my sales as international buyers are looking for relief from the high costs of the program.

by: RCL This user has validated their user name.

Sat Jan 25 10:17:39 2014

I stopped selling to Canadians years ago. They always wanted ''air mail'' and for me to bear the risk of loss. Europeans on the other hand were always willing to pay for safe shipping. But eBay motivated me to stop all sales out of the US. You have to check off every continent. I kept North America because I was afraid it would exclude the US (though they said not, would YOU trust eBay?)

This user has validated their user name. by: Puck

Sat Jan 25 10:46:08 2014

eBain is going to 'opt us in" to GSP if it ruptures the governor.

by: Steevo This user has validated their user name.

Sat Jan 25 11:59:08 2014

I got an email saying
Subject: Now the whole world can buy from you.

Someone accepted the new user agreement.

I just looked and I was in the global shipping program.  I opted out. It could take up to 72 hours.

Geez.  Ebay is pretty ballsy.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Sat Jan 25 16:55:49 2014

The Ho's strategic plan to grow international trade is to make US goods so expensive that US buyers buy more form international sellers not coerced into the GSP.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Sat Jan 25 23:16:42 2014

My previous post lacked clarity. With GSP international buyers will buy less from US sellers while Ho negotiates with international postal services to and USPS to make sure US sellers have the most expensive outbound shipping costs, and many international sellers (like the Red Chinese) will have US taxpayer subsidized cheap rates into the US.

by: OnceuponaTime This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jan 26 10:21:45 2014

This type of corporate philosophy is happening all over.

OFF Topic but in Ny the Governor is offering to business a 10 YEAR PAY ABSOLUTLEY NO TAX to any business who comes to NY. Do you think eBay is going to move there?..

Who pays for it? the little guy why of course.

As of 2012 eBay was a member of alec

Cuomo for President? lets hope not.

This user has validated their user name. by: Puck

Sun Jan 26 12:24:31 2014

"I view these tactics by eBay sneaky, underhanded and downright dishonest."

You mean business as usual.

by: Truk This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jan 26 17:37:19 2014

In the last 6 months we have been Opted In to GSP twice with out our consent

We sell Industrial items many of which are not eligible for export to many countries by federal law

eBay can't seem to wrap their mind around this and at some point a seller is going to ship a prohibited item to a prohibited country and there's going to be a huge issue with the item that was exported and who's going to be responsible for that?

The export of some types of items carry a prison sentence and a fine is eBay going to step up and take that wrap?

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Sun Jan 26 22:15:32 2014

There are many criminal activities can result in a prison sentence, large scale fraud would be one of them, but that does not stop eBay's demonstrable criminal activities ... Johnny Ho seems to have a ready supply of "Get Out of Gaol" cards ...

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 27 02:19:54 2014

I make a big point of posting--in large friendly letters--on my listings---

Happy to ship international.  For CHEAPER shipping options CONTACT ME before bidding.

Now with few exceptions (Russia)  I am then giving these potential buyers the CHOICE--continue buying using ebay as the sales platform and paying $28 for Registered International Mail (which ebay claims is "trackable"  and fulfills their demands--it is NOT trackable beyond JFK!!!!)

::::OR:::::

They can pay ME  a few dollars LESS for my item AND get  steep discount on shipping ($12)  and pay me PRIVATELY.

I have not had ANY problems with sending items international===in fact I have far MORE problems with domestic mail---and buyers are VERY happy to do things this way.

I have not sold any electronics this way and the most common item I sell is small and lightweight but I have sold heavy wooden ski's over seas and hefty ski clothing etc. and not had ANY issues and no one has taken me to task over customs etc.

Maybe I am lucky that my international customers in general on this item seem to be able to READ and CONTACT me.

Too bad the USA ones cannot seem to do the same.

by: Gina This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 27 07:17:10 2014

eBay IS sneaky, underhanded and downright dishonest!  I have stopped listing ANYTHING there!

by: luxe1 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 27 10:14:02 2014

As a Canadian buyer, I always ask sellers if they will opt items out of the GSP before I purchase. Most often, they don't even realize they are in the program.

One item I bought under the GSP was refunded by the seller.  However, eBay's portion of the shipping cost (the lion's share) was never recoverable.

by: FREDDY This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 27 10:30:31 2014

It's ebay.  Do you expect honesty??
Do you expect sneaky underhand type of operations???

by: songe-d-automne This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 27 11:35:53 2014

I despise the GSP. I accidentally opted into it once by forgetting to un-check the box.

The poor guy wound up having to pay $24 and change to ship a watch that should have cost about $8 to ship. I avoid it and the new "Managed returns" like the plague. They "manage" enough of my selling as it is. Ugh.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 27 15:01:30 2014

The GSP, like all things eBay started out innocently. It was just supposed to be a way to help sellers sell to contries that didnt have proper postal systems - ie be able to track packages.

But something usual (with eBay) happened along the way - it morphed into a cash machine. Thinking went - we are already taking a slice of the shipping domestically, why not do it internationally? Why let sellers use USPS or a freight agrigator (I have it with DHL - $30 for 1 pound ANYWHERE they fly to in the world) and not get a cut?

So JD and the rest of the San Jose Hos implemented this program with Fed Ex, & Pitney Bowes.

There are MANY MANY flaws in GSP - ones they refuse to fix - that tells me they know that the flaws will hurt their sellers but dont care.

For the record - I use GSP and while it has its flaws ... on the whole its ok for me. I realize that I may be in the minority - but I wanted to state "for the record" that Im a user of it.

The sneakiest thing they do is not telling the buyer until the end of check out the taxes and duties. They quote cheap shipping options upfront - which lures in alot of buyers for me - but then at the end, unloads on them the HUGE duties and taxes. So much so that 1/3 of my buyers bail and take the unpaid strike, rather then go through with the sale. Its simple bait and switch - a crime in the US - but then eBay is and always has been a criminal enterprise.

The other sneaky thing they do is not follow their own basic rules. You have to call and BEG to deal with negatives for INR and SNAD - even though the rules clearly state that those 2 issues (DSRs & or negatives) dont exist inder the program. Why must I fight you to get you to do the right thing/what you promised?

Lastly - if you think thats bad - since sellers are the muck on their shoes - they play the "go to Paypal game". Again the rules state its an eBay ONLY issue and "specialists" (people who watch Dora the Explorer or Yo Gaba Gaba) are the only ones who handle GSP issue - yet when a customer complains - they tell them to go to Paypal and file a case there or open a chargeback. Its a clear violation of their own rules - and Paypal goes along with it. They told me "what can we do? we cant close cases against BUYERS!".

But, like many here Im fully aware that eBay is a con game. SO like Vegas and AC - I hit them where it hurts - free listings, email harvesting, direct mailing and of course make subsiquent sales OFF eBay. Denying them even 1 cent - warms my heart. (Im not so nice like RIC, MING or Annie!)

by: ebay refugee camp This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jan 28 15:11:50 2014

Deceptive business practices, ebay is out of control. Criminals who have been allowed to do whatever they want, where are the federal agencies that control this criminal activity, they have obviously been paid off.