Wed Jan 22 2014 14:21:14

Why Would eBay Hide Listings?

By: Reader

I am a long-time smaller seller on eBay and haven't been able to find an alternate site to replace the sales volume I get there. So, I put up with all of eBay's heavy-handed treatment of sellers, but this latest mistreatment really irks me bad!

I have had a "Buy Now" fixed price listing for a small, inexpensive electronic item live on eBay for several months - "live" I say with tongue in cheek. Suddenly, after this item languished with almost zero sales for the last 3 months, its sales suddenly came to life BIG time! It has always been low-priced and sold like hot cakes last Christmas season, but it sat virtually unnoticed this Christmas season. So, I ran a store sale on it. It still sat unnoticed for about 3 weeks!!

You've probably already guessed what happened next. Yep! All of a sudden its sales skyrocketed and have far exceeded its sales rate in 2012-13!!

What could have caused this. It all happened at the same time like BOOM - as if the listing wasn't visible to anyone until eBay finally let it "live" as it should have been from the start. As a result I have lost considerable profit on this item which, based on my 2012-13 results, would have easily sold out at the full, low price it had before.

Why would eBay hide a listing? What sense could squashing sales on an item possibly make?! I have several other items exhibiting similar behavior. I'm a "Top-Rated Plus" seller. Whats up!?!?
John

Why Would eBay Hide Listings?   Why Would eBay Hide Listings?

This user has validated their user name. by: Ric

Wed Jan 22 15:25:11 2014

eBay tells sellers their listings may not be visible on the site.... they even felt it necessary to protect themselves by including language to that effect in the user agreement.

What eBay refuses to disclose to sellers is the logic behind making listings invisible.

With all the MBA's collecting outrageous compensation packages from this company, it must have dawned on someone that this action fails sellers, fails buyers and yes, does nothing to benefit eBay either.

Perhaps, eBay's new Cassini ( Can't See Me ) search engine is built on defective algorithms and listings are relegated to invisibility randomly because of the defects inherent in the search engine.

Perhaps the issue is as simple as the fact that eBay's algorithms will intentionally make small sellers listings for certain items invisible so that traffic is directed to their preferred class of Diamond Sellers. Later, when the Diamond sellers have exhausted their inventory, eBay allows the smaller sellers listings to fill the inventory gap.

Bottom line, whether it is by design or the result of faulty programming eBay's actions are hurting buyers who are likely paying more than they have to when small seller listings are intentionally made invisible.

It would appear that eBay is not surfacing all the best deals to potential buyers because when items sell at low prices, eBay can not generate the sales volume and revenue they need to please their Wall Street Masters. The result is the best possible deals are intentionally concealed from buyers so that eBay can sell higher priced widgets in an attempt to boost sagging sales.

The process implemented by eBay is not working as eBay seems unable to grow sales consistent with ecommerce growth trends.

What eBay continues to ignore at it's own peril is that by concealing listings from buyers, they are driving buyers to look elsewhere for a better deal.

Buyers perception of eBay has seriously declined due to eBay's failure to present all the available purchase choices to buyers - and this is due entirely eBay's devotion to big data and the resulting disconnect from buyers.

eBay is approaching a free fall downward spiral of their own design.

Why Would eBay Hide Listings?   Why Would eBay Hide Listings?

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Wed Jan 22 15:31:13 2014

Was one or more of ebay's preferred sellers selling the identical widget during your blackout period?

Ebay hides listings for two reasons -- to give their pet sellers more business and probably because Hugh Williams was spending more time with his family pre Williams purge during your widget's disappearance.

Why Would eBay Hide Listings?   Why Would eBay Hide Listings?

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Wed Jan 22 15:37:33 2014

Ric mentions "eBay's devotion to big data"

Their devotion to big data has left them completely devoid of common sense.

Why Would eBay Hide Listings?   Why Would eBay Hide Listings?

by: 1beck3 This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jan 22 19:55:29 2014

What the small, inexpensive electronic item is might give this letter some context.

Also thought it was fairly common knowledge if an item isn't selling, Cassini bumps a listing down or out and it should be ended and relisted.

Why Would eBay Hide Listings?   Why Would eBay Hide Listings?

by: Steevo This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jan 22 23:21:15 2014

They wouldn't hide listings intentionally.  It would make no sense.

Their programmers are in way over their heads.

I'd love to know what this small electronic item is.

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Thu Jan 23 00:17:50 2014

"Why Would eBay Hide a Listing?"

Do let us know, if you ever do find out why they do so ...

Why Would eBay Hide Listings?   Why Would eBay Hide Listings?

by: lostinNYC This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jan 23 01:27:57 2014

I would love to know too, as some of my listings are hidden sometimes in some countries (some of which I continue to have many sales to with other items) and there is no reasonable explanation as to why.

It is disturbing to see someone with much lower ratings and not being a power seller have their nearly listings appear, even though they charge a higher shipping rate, offer a shorter return time-frame and so on. Annoying to say the least.

Why Would eBay Hide Listings?   Why Would eBay Hide Listings?

by: brokentoys19 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jan 23 08:30:30 2014

First off they have an insane amount of them, so it's very likely that it's physically impossible to show them all.

Rotating visibility may be the only way they can pretend to provide the service they claim. At some point they realized they had to come clean, thus the change in the TOS verbiage.

Second, the users are gullible. Sellers will keep using the site no matter what silly new [unlawful] terms ebay conjures up.

Does anyone wonder whether they are hiding listings with advertisers' paid ads placed on them, while still collecting fees for full visibility? (much like they are to regular members)

If such a scenario turned out to be the case, it could make for quite a spectacle should the advertisers ever find out. Unless of course they changed whatever agreements they have with the advertisers, as they did the TOS for regular members.

Why Would eBay Hide Listings?   Why Would eBay Hide Listings?

by: Gina This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jan 23 12:13:33 2014

Put all yor stock on one of those free-to-list but-no-traffic selling sites (there are thousands like that, I've tried many only to prove no advertising=no traffic=no sales!) & Let your customers know; "eBay doesn't show you my best products, prices, & deals!  Please view all my products on ____site under the same user name".  Place this text in all your "Thanks for your order, shipping has beeen made" emails, social media istes, and slip it into your listings too.
This is not "redirecting" sales because eBay isn't "selling" the items it purposely hides!

Why Would eBay Hide Listings?   Why Would eBay Hide Listings?

by: Steevo This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jan 23 13:22:11 2014

Ya know, the problem with all this is that desperate sellers who have no sales lower prices, which then depresses prices for all other sellers.

I have some items that are about the lowest price on ebay for that item, I have no sales and almost no views.

Others are selling the same, some for more and some less than I have them listed for.

I can't see why it would be in my best interest to lower prices, since there are many sales at higher than mine.  Course there are also sales at lower prices.

This is inexplicable.  I wish ebay would hire a better programmer to work on their search platform.  I have one in mind, but they would really have to cajole him to get him.  He'd have it all fixed in a few days.

Why Would eBay Hide Listings?   Why Would eBay Hide Listings?

by: abid This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jan 23 14:47:24 2014

Ebay can't bring in new buyers. They won't spend the money needed to market to bring in new blood. That means that there is always more sellers than buyers. They deliberately suppress some sellers in order to favor others to present the illusion of a healthy market.

Why Would eBay Hide Listings?   Why Would eBay Hide Listings?

This user has validated their user name. by: Puck

Sun Jan 26 12:32:41 2014

"They won't spend the money needed to market to bring in new blood."

eBay Law Number 1:
The amount of cash spent on advertising is inversely proportional to the amount of cash spent on executive bonuses.

Why Would eBay Hide Listings?   Why Would eBay Hide Listings?

by: ruthsantori This user has validated their user name.

Sat Jan 23 10:49:38 2016

I understand and agree w/ your frustrations 100%.
Like you, I pay eBay an astronomical 10% for doing nothing other than showing my listings when someone enters certain key words
More times than I care to mention I’ve secretly tested eBay using TOR, an ANONYMOUS BROWSER, which I HIGHLY RECOMMEND to sellers who suspect fraud.
These bitches continue to charge me a 10% commission fee on my item PLUS shipping costs.
10% FOR DOING NOTHING, other than including my listings whenever people enter key words.
And still, my listings are hidden whenever “convenient” for eBay.
Big sellers who throw money at them for exclusivity, blocking competitors’ listings, etc.
One week I can’t keep up with emails form interested buyers.
The next … crickets.
THIS IS FRAUD. EBay’s only value-add – web exposure.  They do NOTHING ELSE.
Yet there’s no proof whatsoever required by this disgusting company, that they’re providing the ONE SINGLE SERVICE its customers pay them for.
Cassini determines which are “money listings” for any given day, other sellers are disregarded.
The only reason they get away with it is because they think they can, and that we sellers NEED them.
The whole things STINKS TO HIGH HEAVEN, however until sellers start walking, they can break any rules they want.
I AM SICK OF EBAY TAKING MY MONEY, and plan to move my store to another site this week.  I suggest EVERY EBAY BUYER DO THE SAME.  If we all leave, eBay is stuck with shitty China sellers, becoming a ghetto joke Amazon wannabe.
Companies lacking business ethics NEVER last.
It’s unfortunate, eBay used to be a great company providing both buyers/sellers with an irreplaceable service.
Now they’re just another “internet knockoff,” with too many disgruntled customers to stay in business.
If you haven’t already quit eBay, RUN TO THE HILLS NOW … AND RUN VERY FAST … BECAUSE EBAY’S GOING DOWN!
EBay is a total joke, I only hope the story of their demise serves a greater purpose.

When anonymously logging in using TOR BROWSER (which I HIGHLY RECOMMEND to sellers who suspect eBay fraud)

HERE'S WHY - because eBay's search engine serves THEIR best interests, not those of any one seller.

And because right now they are cocky idiots who believe sellers NEED THEM versus the other way around. Boy, are they in for a SURPRISE.