Wed May 29 2013 15:52:59

eBay Buyer Makes an Offer But Leaves Seller Holding the Cards

By: Reader

I have a question for you. I was selling an item with an eBay Make Offer option. The buyer made an offer which I accepted and now he refuses to pay based on the fact that he feels after talking to people that the item is not as collectible as he initially thought it was.

To me this seems unreasonable and I feel that he should not be able to change his mind and I am the one that suffers especially because I took a lower price than I really wanted and now when I relist the item people can see what I accepted and basically now I'm playing cards and everyone can see my hand.

Please let me know your thoughts.
Leslie

eBay Buyer Makes an Offer But Leaves Seller Holdin   eBay Buyer Makes an Offer But Leaves Seller Holdin

by: l78910000 This user has validated their user name.

Wed May 29 19:01:11 2013

Yes that is annoying, although it works both ways. I find it infuriating when you win and auction and the buyer cancel the transaction becsuse it was too low a sale price. (there fault for not putting a reserve). But what i dont understand is if you were willing to accept his offer what is wrong with it being displayed again? One thing you can do is just be honest in listing description and say last person who offered was a time waster bla bla

by: frustrated This user has validated their user name.

Wed May 29 19:34:21 2013

Don't be ridiculous.

HIT SZELL SIMILAR and the history goes away.

If you simply wait 30 days they CAN'T see what was accepted before. Even if they search for completed.

And report the buyer.

IMHO anyone who makes an offer and then refuses to pay should be suspended for 30 days.

This user has validated their user name. by: WOODJUNGLE! ON EBAY

Wed May 29 21:15:07 2013

That's his problem.  He committed.  Just file a claim and he will get an unpaid buyer strike. He can't leave negative feedback if he doesn't pay.

This user has validated their user name. by: Basset

Wed May 29 21:22:04 2013

I'd rather part ways with a buyer who changed their mind BEFORE the item gets shipped. I'd just cancel the transaction - thank them for their business in a friendly tone, then block them if you really don't want to see them again

Forcing a buyer to take an item they decided they don't want is probably not going to lead to a happy ending for most sellers. Best to move on.

If you had several watchers on the item, it may show renewed interest from them if you RELIST - I don't worry about the history. Sales fall through on occasion.

If there were not several watchers, or if the history thing worries you - do as ''frustrated'' says. Either way works.

This user has validated their user name. by: WOODJUNGLE! ON EBAY

Wed May 29 21:51:53 2013

Respectfully, I think buyers need to learn a lesson about making loose commitments so they don't keep doing it.  It can be  costly and time consuming.

by: unknown This user has validated their user name.

Thu May 30 09:54:11 2013

Add me to the little list that would rather have the buyer cancel vs dealing with an unhappy buyer afterwards.

BUT ebay is now rolling out a new 'beta' best offer program that makes every offer not really an offer until buyer makes it, seller accepts it and the buyer pays for it. The item will still be listed as unsold if it's not paid for. Boggles me but....

See http://pages.ebay.com/newBestOfferBeta/index.html

This user has validated their user name. by: Ric

Thu May 30 11:00:14 2013

OP... Whatever you do, don't provoke the buyer....yet.

You have been charged a final value fee for your widget and your buyer has backed out of the deal.

You need to file a transaction cancellation request with eBay, and as such you need this buyer to agree to that cancellation in order to receive a credit for the FVF you have been charged.

If you email the buyer, and agree to help them cancel their purchase by filing for the transaction cancellation request, not only will you get a credit for the Final Value Fee you have been charged, but the buyer will be blocked from leaving feedback.

In emails, I mention that eBay will start sending them payment reminders and that agreeing to the cancellation is the best way to prevent eBay from sending those harassing payment demands.

You can use the same carrot and stick approach in the event of a contentious buyer in a return issue to protect yourself from receiving feedback from malicious buyers.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Thu May 30 13:03:02 2013

I agree with Ric. Forcing a person to buy something they decided they don't want is only going to end badly for Leslie. Do what Ric says and then block the person.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Thu May 30 23:22:39 2013

You can't "force" anyone to buy anything on Ebay.

I agree with the first part of what Ric said.  It is great advice.  Do not tick off your buyer.  That will potentially hurt you and we all know that isn't what you want.

You certainly have every right to be upset, this happens to all of us.  With or without best offers.  But with best offers, you get a lot of unreasonable offers and just have a bit more stuff to do to manage your listings.

I would advise NOT doing a Mutual Cancellation.  There are risks in doing that with a buyer that has shown / told you that they are not willing to pay.  It's one thing if they make an honest mistake, but that isn't in this case.

With a Mutual Cancellation, if the buyer agrees to it, you do get your FVF back and the right to relist, but the buyer retains the right to leave FB.

If the buyer does NOT agree to the MC, then you do not get your FVF back, you do not get the right to relist back and the buyer retains the right to leave FB.

Then just to add insult to injury, there is NOTHING you can do.  You can not now go file a UID as they won't let you do that.  Even if the buyer never pays, there is nothing you can do about it, but they can leave FB for you.

The UID is more appropriate for this.  You can open it as soon as 48 hrs after the purchase.  If you go this route, make sure you write down the date and time you opened the UID.  Stay on top of it.  Do not email your buyer anymore.  Just be silent.  Your best protection is to get this closed as quickly as possible for non payment.  96 hrs and one minute after you opened the UID, if payment has not arrived, close it.

If you do that, you get your FVF back, you get the right to relist back and your buyer is blocked from leaving any kind of FB on your account.  If for any reason they left FB before you closed the UID, you can now get it removed.

And ALWAYS stay professional in ALL communications.  Your feelings matter to us, but they don't belong in the communications with your buyer.  This is a business transaction not a personal one.  So just stay professional, it will serve you much better.

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Thu May 30 23:30:57 2013

LOL---I JUST had this happen!  Buyer made offer;  I made counter offer;  he made a counter to my counter and I accepted.

Win win.

Until the guy didn't PAY!

I filed the UID at 48 hours and lo and behold the guy DID pay--so maybe ebay is not INFORMING the buyers that they WON the item?

But I was a bit put off by the fact that the guy seemed eager and then wandered off.

Does any one KNOW what is shown to someone who makes an offer like this and gets a counter offer that is then accepted?

I have made a very few offers but can't remember what you see.

and I have NEVER seen the actual AMOUNT that some one ELSE has offered that was accepted--I always see "Best offer accepted" and the price with a line thru it--but no notation of WHAT that offer was.

Are others seeing something different

by: Tiffee Jasso This user has validated their user name.

Fri May 31 00:27:03 2013

Change the wording of the title and even the category if possible.

by: FREDDY This user has validated their user name.

Fri May 31 08:26:13 2013

ebay does not notify you when you make an offer and it is accepted. This happened twice to me. Just happened to notice it in the purchase history list the following day.

by: agingmama This user has validated their user name.

Fri May 31 10:51:09 2013

I have a suggestion...these auctions are not garage sales, so why bicker on the price?  List the item for the lowest price you are able to take from a seller.  I feel if they want to dicker about the price, then they need to stick to garage sales.

by: TexasTwister This user has validated their user name.

Fri May 31 11:08:12 2013

@comet

I'm with you.  I haven't been able to see what offer price was accepted for a long time.  I used to be able to see it by changing ''.com'' to ''.ca'' (for Canada) in the item link, but eBay has ''fixed'' that now.  I don't understand why showing the best offer price accepted is so super secret.  Isn't it just a selling price like any other item?

Sorry. Didn't mean to hijack this!

by: minnie This user has validated their user name.

Fri May 31 13:33:21 2013

For a short time, people COULD see the price that was accepted as a Best Offer.  Many sellers complained, stating that others would then want the same price and that it would affect their current listings.  After a time, ebay stopped displaying the price that was accepted.

This user has validated their user name. by: MJRock

Sat Jun 1 14:09:58 2013

This sort of thing happens to me all the time.  Recieve offer, counter, recieve, then I accept.  Then 9 times out of 10 the buyer doesn't pay.  They only thing I can think of is eBay doesn't notify the buyer that an offer is accepted.

That's why I changed to only making counter offers, and wait for the buyer to accept.  That is usually the only time they pay ....