Wed May 15 2013 13:24:00

eBay Penalizes Top Rated Seller for Shipping Freight

By: Barry

I just listed an item, and I was upset when I didn't see my TRS badge on the listing. At first, I couldn't figure out what was wrong.

It turns out ... that when listing an item, under "Give buyers shipping details", if you select freight, you *must* select Freightquote.com. If you select "Other freight service", there is no longer an option for "Handling time". And this takes away my TRS badge.

As long as I have a 14 day money back return policy, 1 day handling time, ship right away and upload an internet tracking number, I ought to have the corresponding TRS discount and search benefits.
Barry

Perminate Link for eBay Penalizes Top Rated Seller for Shipping Freig   eBay Penalizes Top Rated Seller for Shipping Freig

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Wed May 15 17:42:29 2013

Humm, interesting.  I've never had the need to do this, but I went to see what you are explaining.

You may be only seeing one option, but I see two options:

Other freight service - Specify your own freight shipping options in your item description.

OR

Freightquote.com  Let our freight service provider calculate the shipping cost for you and your buyers automatically.

I do see what you are saying about the handling time.  It disappears on both.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ric

Wed May 15 21:15:59 2013

eBay is attempting to compel sellers into utilizing their selected freight carrier and the reason should be obvious....

eBay is apparently getting a commission from freightquote that they do not get if you select your own freight carrier.

This leads one to believe eBay is taking away your TRS badge ( and discounts too?) because they view your selection of a different carrier as denying them revenue.

by: Truk This user has validated their user name.

Wed May 15 21:51:07 2013

They won't give us our TRS discount on Freight items either

Csr's say's we are eligible and they will look into it,so many calls to ebay with no answer or credit from ebay on our LTL shipments

It now amounts to thousands of dollars

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Thu May 16 02:39:19 2013

truk

How can your TRS discount amount to thousands of dollars?  The TRS discount is 20% of the FVF for US sales that meet the other requirements.  It isn't all sales.  And to have "thousands" of dollars owed to you is a huge amount is sales.  I'm very jealous.  But seriously, 20% is not of the sale price, it is of the FVF.  So if you were charged $100 in FVF, 20% of that would be $20.00.  Just askin!

This user has validated their user name. by: Ric

Thu May 16 09:41:06 2013

@ Marie

I can only guess that truk has been experiencing this issue over an extended period of time during which eBay has failed to address and rectify their issue.

Typically, the resulting inaction by eBay has allowed the credits truk deserves to grow and accrue for many months while eBay has been dragging their feet and procrastinates rather than resolve the problem up front.

It is likely that truk is not alone with this problem, and that numerous sellers are effected with many unaware of eBay's internal system issue. As such, eBay probably owes multiple sellers refunds for overcharges which is money eBay is not willing to part with easily.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Thu May 16 09:57:52 2013

@ric

Yes, I assume that too.  But I thought I'd ask as sometimes people look at it incorrectly.  Hence my question.

by: PowerSeller2007 This user has validated their user name.

Fri May 17 01:41:58 2013

ebay has hidden agenda ALL THE TIME.  Their rules are made to SOUND RIGHTEOUS.   So what is difference between the 2 freight service?  Ebay gets commission on one and ebay don't get commision from the 2nd one.  Both have tracking number, item sent with 24 hours, buyer got the item withing days (unlike buyer oversease which takes 17 days to 3 weeks) AND buyer and seller got a happy deal.

BUT why is GREEDY ebay not happy?  Didn't ebay got 12% commission and Paypal got 4% commission? Why grab TRS sellers' reward?

It is ALL ebay GREED!

===================

ebay pink always sounded CONFUSED.  The truth is they are tasked to confuse readers everytime they have a chance.

by: PowerSeller2007 This user has validated their user name.

Fri May 17 01:46:33 2013

truk,
  NEVER has CSR any power to address TRS.  Because of the 20% monetary reward ebay just hijacked from you, CSR could not touch it.
  They will look into it?  Never happen.   I am no longer a sucker for such promise from any CSR.  CSR fooled me many many times in many many years.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Fri May 17 01:51:27 2013

powerseller2007

My personal opinion is that many of Ebay's rules do NOT "sound righteous".

I think you may have missed the point of the OP.  Using either option and they do not have their TRS ribbon or the discount, so it has nothing to do with whether or not Ebay gets a commission off the frieght.  It is just this particular style of listing Ebay doesn't allow to be covered under TRS.

by: PowerSeller2007 This user has validated their user name.

Fri May 17 02:45:20 2013

end of discussion.  I am not going to get trap into a tangent.

by: ejholden This user has validated their user name.

Fri May 17 08:18:03 2013

My opinion is that this is just another situation where ebay enforces the highest possible penalty on a seller because they choose to utilise a service or a system that benefits them &/or their customer more that ebay.
As such, it is a perfect example of how ebay has evolved under the present CEO into a more money for the venue, less money for the seller operation .... thus creating a reduced benefit for the buyer.
ebay did the same for I'national buyers with the Pitney-Bowes ''solution''.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Fri May 17 11:08:10 2013

@ejholden

"Marie, You are entitled to your opinion ... just as others are entitled to theirs." I have NEVER said any different on ANY thread or ANY comment I have EVER made or said.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Fri May 17 15:50:01 2013

@Marie

And yet you argue vehemently for your position over everyone else's. A few articles ago you asked why people called you names, and this points out exactly why. There's your point of view. Period. It would be nice if you'd allow others to have an opinion.

This user has validated their user name. by: monkey

Fri May 17 16:18:53 2013

Ohh, now wait a minute Jack. If I just try to post any opinion on this forum that is eBay-positive, I'll get my shorts burned off with a virtual flame thrower.

"It would be nice if you'd allow others to have an opinion. " LOL!

Jack, you're a smart guy, I respect your opinions in general. In fact you're one of the people whose posts I read.

But that last offering was a clown post, bro.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Fri May 17 18:25:58 2013

@jack

You will need to point out to me what I said on this thread that you feel is ''vehemently'' agruing my position.  I took no position on this subject.  If you have a moment, you may want to read my first post.

It seems to me that what ejholden wrote is exactly opposite of what he or she stated.  While others are entitled to their opinions, I am not.  If I post one, whether it is for or against Ebay, it causes others concerns and the name calling starts.

This thread is a good example.  I posted absolutely nothing that defends Ebay in any way.  In fact it was the opposite.  Powerseller stated ''Their rules are made to SOUND RIGHTEOUS''  I disagreed with that and somehow I'm the bad guy now.  Why does his opinion matter and mine does not.  My response to his post was ''My personal opinion is that many of Ebay's rules do NOT ''sound righteous''. ''

This user has validated their user name. by: Tula

Fri May 17 18:27:06 2013

@Marie: I suspect that the reason the OP can lose thousands of dollars is because items that ship as freight tend to be large and expensive, like industrial equipment and such. This problem does sound distinctly unfair and seems to be another case of eBay trying to micromanage and force sellers to use services that financially benefit eBay.

by: ejholden This user has validated their user name.

Fri May 17 18:49:24 2013

Ahhh ... but Marie, you then went on to say ''you may have missed the point'' ... & you totally missed mine ... which is that we are all entitled to our opinion, even you.
But then, discussing ebay does this to people.
It's a bit like finding a partner in your circle of friends has been unfaithful. You either turn a blind eye to their ''sins'' & support them to the hilt, or you tear them to shreds at every opportunity ... & the result is mass sensitivity & defensiveness.

Marie, whether the rule sounds righteous or not isn't really the issue here. The issue is why ebay doesn't allow this particular style of listing  to be covered under TRS.
What is the motiviation behind eBay's decision?

Really, based on past & present behaviour, one can't be blamed for thinking it is motivated by financial benefit to ebay, can one?

This user has validated their user name. by: David Steiner

Fri May 17 18:57:20 2013

Here's an idea. How about if everyone sticks to the topic of this blog post.

by: ejholden This user has validated their user name.

Fri May 17 19:08:38 2013

The OP stated "I ought to have the corresponding TRS discount and search benefits."

In my opinion, yes, he ought to ... & it is most unfair & discriminatory that he doesn't.

by: nothingnew This user has validated their user name.

Sun May 19 21:36:35 2013

what was the question? lol