Sun May 12 2013 22:33:49

eBay Reformats Saved Seller Feature

By: Reader

I just thought I would pass this interesting change I found on to you.

I was noticing tonight when I went to my saved sellers section and checked on a couple of my favorites. I went to see their auctions and there were none. It used to be when sellers had nothing for sale it stated that, so you need not continue to their site.

Now it does not state it anymore. Makes it a little frustrating as it takes time to look at sales and find there are none.

Way to go eBay, one more thing to irritate buyers and sellers. What exactly is the point of removing the fact that a seller has nothing listed? Oh yeah, maybe that looks bad for eBay?
Thanks Ina for all your hard work for us eBayers.
Regards,
C.

Perminate Link for eBay Reformats Saved Seller Feature   eBay Reformats Saved Seller Feature

This user has validated their user name. by: Anonymous Annie

Mon May 13 00:47:42 2013

The OP is very likely to be correct in that analysis. Long-time buyers who have accumulated many favorite sellers we able to use their list as a barometer that reveals the overall health and vitality of the venue.

Obviously, eBay is embarrassed about the growing number of inactive sellers... and they want to disguise and obfuscate it. eBay want to make it more difficult for people to tell (at-a-glance) what's going on with the rank and file sellers.

There's one other thing that this tells me: as oblivious as eBay is to so many of its problems... the fact that eBay is trying to hide this means that eBay IS ACTUALLY AWARE of the problem it has with seller abandonment.

They may deny the problem exists at all... but their actions show otherwise.

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 13 01:18:18 2013

@ANNIE---Yep I mentioned this the last time I had to speak to a CSR and was told with quite a lot of indignation that there were MILLIONS--or was that perhaps BILLIONS I dunno the accent was hard to follow of sellers DESPERATE to
start an account on ebay.  And millions or perhaps googelions of buyers waiting for just that right moment to jump ship from Amazon and Sears and the corner grocery store to buy everything on ebay.

But--ya know---I could have heard that wrong.

I too have noticed a few telling indicators that there are fewer and fewer SELLERS on ebay--one has been via my SAVED SELLER list which for some time has had BOTH the indicator tag of NO ITEMS FOR SALE AT THIS TIME and also no indication at ALL till you click thru.  Highly annoying.

Wonder where they all WENT.

And the other informal research tool has been to check EVERY time I go and look at some ones feedback to cast an eye on how many SELLERS are NO LONGER REGISTERED USERS.

I am pretty sure that when it says that than these sellers have either closed their accounts or just let them lapse one fine day.

When you see the really loooong series of numbers and letters I am pretty sure this means that they were shut DOWN by ebay for some reason.

For oh about every 100 or so NARU notations I see one of the number strings.

What does THAT tell us boys and girls?

This user has validated their user name. by: Nolle

Mon May 13 09:51:40 2013

Ebay is like a man holding 2 guns.

One gun is pointed at it's sellers ready to shoot anyone not following the ''rules'' - that change daily.

The other is to their own head, as they watch sellers run and buyers wander away in vast numbers.

by: JackieBlue This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 13 11:54:25 2013

Perhaps they were removed because they had duplicated one item out of the thousands they were listing.

by: Beth This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 13 12:03:38 2013

Oh NO Jackie!! that would never happen.  After all eBay gives us such a fine inventory system to work with for free??

I personally think they tried to figure out how many of their photos were too small for the July 1 deadline and jumped off their roof in frustration as there was no tool to fix it.

INA, thank you for poking the bear about TL compressing photos. I am not yet positive but they might have, "MIGHT HAVE" rolled out the fix... but they surely will never tell us as that would imply that it was their problem to start with

by: Automan This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 13 12:47:29 2013

Works fine for me, same way it always has. Perhaps they fixed it or PICNIC?

by: methuen-web-sales This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 13 12:49:46 2013

I'm not sure what you folks are talking about.  After reading this thread I went to my save sellers list and the ones that didn't have anything listed had a line that said: ''This seller currently has 0 items for sale''.  That seems pretty straight forward to me.  What am I missing?

This user has validated their user name. by: Anonymous Annie

Mon May 13 15:30:12 2013

--- ''What am I missing?''

You're probably not overlooking anything, Methuen. Often, eBay will gradually roll-out changes like this, and not everyone will see the changed layout at the same time as others.

Other times, eBay will change only the US site, and make NO changes to non-US sites.

As for me, my ''saved sellers'' list only shows the seller's name (and/or store name) and a clickable link to view their listings... but nothing that lets me know which sellers have NO listings.

Which, in my case, is over 50%.

I do realize that over time, some attrition is to be expected... but this seems to be excessive and definitely more than the amount that one might reasonably expect. --- So it makes perfect sense that eBay would want to minimize how obvious it is.

This user has validated their user name. by: Bill

Tue May 14 00:23:43 2013

I will tell you why the sellers are leaving and it is plain and simple math.
I closed my store last year because of all of the fees for items that hardly sold and to take advantage of all of the free listing days.
I used to sell around $10K a month on eBay but in recent years it went down to only 10% of that. I went to my account activity page the other day. I sold about $1K last month with all the free listings I got. with my TRS discount I paid a little under $80 in fees. Up at the top of the page they have an area that says that becasue of the promotional listings I saved over $430 in fees. So if I paid to list the items I sold I would have had a bill from eBay for $510 for $1K in sales.
That is why I closed the store and only list items for free. If I would have paid for those listings I would have lost money. That and that alone is why it does not pay to sell on eBay because the price to list for items that hardly sell is way too high. That is why I only list when I get the free listing promotions and until eBay gets that through their greedy thick skulls they will always be loosing more and more sellers.

Bill

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Tue May 14 08:40:39 2013

As for new sellers coming to the venue, I know five in my area who came on board and gave it a shot within the last six months. They gave up quickly.  I tried to help every one of them because if it weren't for my experience I wouldn't still be there.  It has become a very difficult venue to sell on.

Anyway, after checking in on each of them every week, the longest duration of time on the sight by any one of them was 5 weeks.  All gave up and were very frustrated.

So, if a CSR tells you that millions or billions are itching to get on the site to sell, take that with a grain of salt.