Tue May 7 2013 11:04:20

eBay Claim's Request for Tracking Makes No Sense

By: Reader

I got a notice from eBay that someone had opened a case, claiming the item did not match the description. (The description was fine, the buyer just didn't read it.)

Under "the buyer requested:"....Tracking information.

I purchased the shipping label through eBay. eBay shows that the package was delivered. eBay knows the tracking number. The buyer has the tracking number. The buyer says it's not as described, so obviously they've seen the item. It reached its destination.

Why would eBay offer this as part of a "not as described" claim?

When I clicked on "Respond", I was taken to a screen with a big warning... "We recommend that you provide tracking information. To qualify for Seller Protection, you must enter tracking information before this case is sent to eBay customer support for a decision... "

Where, exactly, am I supposed to enter tracking information? That box in the middle of the page would only send the tracking info to the buyer, who already has the tracking info and the item.

I'm pretty sure I can work things out with this buyer, they just need some help. But before I can respond to them, I just have to figure out if there's some place I have to enter a tracking number again before I respond, so I don't give eBay the chance to automatically decide against me on some technicality.

Perhaps I should add that I just lost a not-received case on a tracking number technicality, in which the USPS failed to scan the item at the customer's doorstep and the customer claimed it had never arrived, although the customer had made many comments about the item and obviously had it. eBay gave them the item AND the refund, and charged me for it. So yes, I'm cautious about tracking number technicalities.

Maybe I'm missing something here. Anyone else find a request for a tracking number at this stage to be a bit bizarre? Anyone else find that eBay's presence at this stage of customer care is getting in the way of taking care of the customer?
Gracie

Perminate Link for eBay Claim's Request for Tracking Makes No Sense   eBay Claim's Request for Tracking Makes No Sense

This user has validated their user name. by: Ed Gadfly

Tue May 7 11:20:42 2013

Can you call them on the telephone?

The customer... calling eBay will only distort your faith.

This user has validated their user name. by: WOODJUNGLE! ON EBAY

Tue May 7 15:01:20 2013

Paypal does that too when a dispute is opened.  I suppose a scenario could come up where the buyer may have purchased multiple items from you on different days and could have different tracking #s.  Perhaps its just to make absolutely sure that item and that tracking # jive. it is silly though. I think you are supposed to just send the tracking # in a message.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Tue May 7 19:47:47 2013

Many of these problems can be solved easily, quickly, and harmonoiusly by just picking up the phone and calling the buyer provided they have a working telephoen nyumber.

If not, call ebafia and let them know that you're trying to work things out, best explained over the phone, but the buyer has no valid phone number.

I've averted

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Tue May 7 19:49:07 2013

continuing from above:

a few crises by calling a buyer. I've only had one get upset about the call, and they apologized profusely later.

Telephone calls make these fraudsters a little anonymous.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Tue May 7 19:49:46 2013

I'm having a bad typing day.

The last sentence read:

Letters to the Editor
Tue May 7 2013 11:04:20
eBay Claim's Request for Tracking Makes No Sense

By: Reader

Under "the buyer requested:"....Tracking information.

Why would eBay offer this as part of a "not as described" claim?

Gracie

Comments (4) Leave Comment Permalink

eBay Claim's Request for Tracking Makes No Sense
by: Ed Gadfly

Tue May 7 11:20:42 2013
Can you call them on the telephone?

The customer... calling eBay will only distort your faith.
   eBay Claim's Request for Tracking Makes No Sense
by: WOODJUNGLE! ON EBAY

Tue May 7 15:01:20 2013
   eBay Claim's Request for Tracking Makes No Sense
by: Ming the Merciless

Tue May 7 19:47:47 2013

I've averted

eBay Claim's Request for Tracking Makes No Sense
by: Ming the Merciless

Tue May 7 19:49:07 2013
continuing from above:

Telephone calls make these fraudsters a little less anonymous.

by: FREDDY This user has validated their user name.

Wed May 8 08:55:08 2013

Depending on the dollar amount, think ebay auto pilot just refunds in favor of buyer.
On another subject. I made a sale on Amazon - balance to me is just .52 cents. However, Amazon gets to keep it due to being less than a dollar. Anyone else had that problem. The book I sold was 2.99. After fees shipping I was left with .52  Do not understand why no transfer if it is .01 or $1,000.00. It's auto anyway. Is Amazon getting like ebay with the greed dept.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Wed May 8 10:22:00 2013

Ebay does not auto refund a buyer for anything.  They do have a policy of refunding from Ebay funds, not seller funds, on certain cases and that is for lower value cases.  Ebay won't disclose what that threshold is but they admit there is one.

To get this refund from Ebay, the buyer has to call Ebay.  Occasionally Ebay just offers it up but more over the buyer needs to be seeking a refund.  If Ebay chooses to refund the buyer directly and not charge the seller.  The case gets closed, but is is NOT counted against the seller.

It is a policy that many other websites have.  It is cost effective too for Ebay.

Ming is absolutely right.  A phone call can go a long way.  It can really put them on notice.  In fact, if you call and the phone number on Ebay is no good for whatever reason, you need to immediately report this to Ebay via a phone call and I'd log it into the claim too.  If the buyer doesn't provided viable contact information to Ebay within 72 hrs, that claim could get closed in your favor.  They have to have valid info on Ebay.

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Wed May 8 11:11:14 2013

re:  "The Post Office had NOT scanned the item at the customers doorstep---and the customer took the opportunity to USE this to scam"---first off it would be incredibly EASY for a friend of the person getting the delivery to BE the mail man.  Then they could collude on NOT scanning the items---this might not be picked up as a pattern as the PO would not be alerted to this if all of the sellers did not contact the PO.  Ingenious actually.

But---don't you want to just pick up the PO and SHAKE them???

I have had several recent "issues"---a package that was tagged with the WRONG DC info (a prior customers info was slapped onto MY package causing havoc);  a weird issue with a family member buying a SINGLE stamp,  handing over a PAPER ONE DOLLAR BILL and getting the wrong change--5 cents back instead of 53 cents.  Hmmm--when this was pointed out the clerk--who just so happens to BE the POST MASTER in this PO---and who made all THREE of the problems here---declared that she THOUGHT the payment was a 50 CENT PIECE.  Ummmm---

And the best for last---I had a sale from SWEDEN.  A packed item that is UNDER 6 ounces.  I sell this SAME item worldwide and KNOW that the shipping cost SHOULD be about $6.    My husband took the mail for me and came out and asked--"How much did that customer PAY to have the item go to SWEDEN?"   Alarm bells are ringing!   I said---Gee I think ebay charged them $16 WHY?

The POST MASTER herself had decided that the item was NOW going to cost---$39.00.  Which because husband is NOT the Shipping Dept and did not KNOW how far off this was---altho he DID say Gee that seems very HIGH---and was told--the COMPUTER says it is that much so that is what it IS.  Take it or leave it!

When he came out I grabbed the receipt and looked--not only had the PO charged some sort of Priority International--but--the item was NOT GOING TO SWEDEN--it was NOW going to someplace called SAINT HELENS.  Which is an ISLAND.  In the South Atlantic.

He went BACK into the PO and forced them to RE-DO the package--properly this time---and REFUND the difference.  The ACTUAL cost for the item to go to SWEDEN?  $5.45.

I called the Post Master and got all sorts of hysterical reasons for this--the screen TOLD her to do this---good thing the "screen" didn't tell her to take a gun to work that day huh?---and how she was "sorry"

Wellll---OK.  But---

I then called the Regional person in charge of these rural PO's and got a similar non-interest.  Couldn't have been more bored when I was told "Oh yeah I will call and ask about this".

I feel very much as if the PO could be run by your average 5 year old better than it is run by--whoever is at the helm these days.

Soooo--ebay USING the evidence from the PO to back up or deny "claims" of delivery---don't make me laugh.

by: Sunflower This user has validated their user name.

Wed May 8 13:57:59 2013

@Marie
You said  ''They have to have valid info on Ebay.'' I am sorry but this is not true. I had a problem with a buyer not so long ago and he had a disconnected phone number listed. Upon contacting eBay, they said that they would send the buyer a reminder to update his account. He did to a number that looked like this: 555-00-0000. I called eBay again and they again contacted him and he then put in a fake number in Mexico. His address was a PO box out of Western Union as well. He was unreachable. He continues to have false information in his account and eBay has done nothing to this buyer. Ebay does not care as long as they are getting this buyers money.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Wed May 8 18:41:48 2013

@sunflower

That is pretty unusual.  I have no doubt it happened to you, it is just unusual.  Personally the next time you have a need to call Ebay, I'd bring this up again as it is clearly against policy.  Sounds like you got a series of bad CSRs.  Unfortunate that Ebay doesn't train them better.

Typically what Ebay will do, providing you get to a good CSR is lock up the buyer's account.  Meaning when they come onto Ebay again, a message will appear on their screen when they log in telling them they have to update their contact information as it is incorrect.  They can't do anything until they update their info.

And if you are an unfortunate seller that got bad FB from a buyer with bad info and you can't get in contact with them at all, then after 72 hrs of waiting for them to update, if they don't or if they update with just some different bad info, Ebay is suppose to remove any bad FB they left for you.  I've done this a couple times for myself over the years and helped a couple others sellers do this as well.

It does work or should I say it can work.  But when you get CSRs that don't know or understand the policy you get things like what happened to you.

by: Sunflower This user has validated their user name.

Wed May 8 18:55:51 2013

Thanks Marie. That is what happened but eBay did not lock his account, it was PayPal. I called eBay numerous times and got different answers from each rep. When I called PayPal (someone here recommended that), they did lock his account. He then changed it to the phone number in Mexico and when I called eBay once again, they said as long as it was a ''working'' number, there was nothing that they could do. He left 2 negatives all because I tried to confirm an address and those 2 fb will sit for the year because of eBays lack of concern for their sellers. Did I expect better? Yes actually I did. I now realize it isn't worth the energy or aggravation to deal with eBay anymore. I no longer care, I will just sell my items until I can walk-run away from eBay and be done with them.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Wed May 8 20:49:12 2013

@sunflower

I am sincerely sorry you had to go through all that.  It honestly has not been my experience with similar situations.  And the CSR was completely wrong to say as long as it is a working number it is OK.  That absolutely isn't true.

On one of the two times I had to go through this, they had a number recorded, but it was incorrect.  It was a lady that answered the phone did not have any idea of the person I was trying to reach.

I have no answers for you except that you were done wrong!!!  Very wrong!  Those FB should have been removed.  However I disagree with you a bit.  When it comes to negative FB and the hurtful effect it can have on your account, while unfortunate, it still can be worth all the trouble to get the FB removed.  I am NOT justifying what Ebay did to you.  It is pitiful how they treated you.  But this is of such importance to a seller, you can't afford to just let it go until everything is exhausted.

by: Gina This user has validated their user name.

Thu May 9 14:20:00 2013

If this goes against you, APPEAL!!!  I phoned on an "item not received" case in which the buyer filed WAY before the scheduled (and contracted) arrival date!!!  Ebay "helpers" told me on the phone, "we can't touch this case for 48 hours..." But they found in favor of the customer  less than 2 hours later!!!  LIARS!!  Well, I was "granted a refund of the refunded monies on appeal.
Simple, ebay "helpers" don't have a clue what they are doing and will say anything then turn around and do the opposite!  This is rather a stupid way to do business!