Tue Mar 26 2013 13:21:01

PayPal Sent Purchase Confirmation to My Girlfriend

By: Reader

I have had an account, it seems like forever with PayPal, and have a separate e-mail address as a secondary e-mail that I have never gotten a "confirmation e-mail" that I had sent money to anyone, until last night. My Girlfriend had told me, I see that you sent money to blah blah .. why?

Well I got to thinking, I have not used her computer to do any transactions, via eBay, PayPal, etc... so why is she getting an email on a transaction that I did, after all these years she has never seen what I am doing or what or who I have paid... until LAST NIGHT!!

I called PAL-PAL this morning on asking them why this has happened, after all these years?? What has changed?? They told me that their system could have mistakenly sent an e-mail to her, as it was on my account, but could not tell me why, and NOT TO WORRY.

I want to know more and how maybe my account may be at stake??
Thanks.
Bryan

Perminate Link for PayPal Sent Purchase Confirmation to My Girlfriend   PayPal Sent Purchase Confirmation to My Girlfriend

by: Patricia This user has validated their user name.

Tue Mar 26 16:54:39 2013

Not to worry???  Sending your personal information to someone else is indeed something to worry about!

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Tue Mar 26 18:40:52 2013

Isn't that PayPal's and eBay's standard response to anything that goes wrong? "Don't worry about it!"

I guess the "glitches" that have been plaguing eBay are now infecting PayPal.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ric

Tue Mar 26 20:53:06 2013

eBay Corp's BIG DATA strikes again!!

Somewhere along the line, perhaps through an eBay purchase made by your girlfriend with her ID but paid through your PayPal account, the two email addresses became forever entwined inside eBay's the clutter that is ebay's accumulation of BIG DATA.

Whether through some glitch, or a other leak that caused the data to become confused, this is the danger of all the data that eBay Corp accumulates, and is reason for everyone with an eBay and or PayPal account to be extremely concerned.

Concerned by the amount of Data they accumulate.

Concerned with the intended use of that accumulated data.

Concerned by how that data is stored and secured.

Concerned by what happens when some of that data leaks or bleeds through and across otherwise separate accounts.

In this case, it would appear that no serious damage occurred. But what happens when data leaks or bleed throughs causes sensitive information to be transmitted to unassociated third parties?

Most individuals can not even sue eBay or PayPal in this event because both companies have awarded themselves immunity from law suits by way of their user agreement so users have no recourse what so ever in that event.

Be afraid of eBay's big data....be very afraid.

This user has validated their user name. by: Nolle

Wed Mar 27 09:09:49 2013

Uhhh....why on earth would you have your girlfriend's email as a ''secondary email'' on your account?  This wasn't some random email - it's an email you have setup as one of your OWN, capable of receiving (and  potentially) sending $$.

are you sure that the person sending you money did not, in fact, use that email for some reason?  check the ''payment sent to'' details in your details screen on pp.

Did you also check the headers of that email?  Was it auto-forwarded to her for some reason not related to pp?

PP support was just blowing you off cause it looked like user error.

Ric - reread the OP msg. it wasn't magically entwined.  it was one of the alternate emails for the acct - i think you can have 6.  if you're afraid of pp, you must be terrified out of your mind by facebook, visa/mc, credit reporting agencies, and the irs.  :)

by: XebayX This user has validated their user name.

Wed Mar 27 09:50:31 2013

I have to agree with Nolle. This is a case of user error no matter if there was a glitch or not. OP, if you don't want info sent to a particular email address, don't authorize that email address to receive correspondence in any instance. Although it may have been a glitch that caused the notification to be sent to the wrong REGISTERED email, if that email were not authorized to get notifications this never would have happened. I try to live by Murphy's Law when it comes to business, especially business that involves eBay or PayPal.
Unfortunate, but avoidable.

by: XebayX This user has validated their user name.

Wed Mar 27 10:01:48 2013

@Ric,
I agree completely about the amount of data eBay/PP collect, and it's usage. In this case though, it's kind of a different issue. I deal with eBay and PayPal users all of the time that believe that these systems are ''magic'' and that the user settings have nothing to do with the behavior of the software. This type of user is quick to blame everyone else because the software couldn't read their mind. This is the same sort that leaves feedback and low DSRs saying that an item arrived a day later than the estimated date, or blames the seller when USPS doesn't scan a package at every point. The same sort that makes a big stink over something that is their own fault, and clogs the customer service system so that legitimate concerns can't be addressed. As unfair, and in some cases heinous, eBay/PayPal's behavior, this is not necessarily the case THIS TIME.

by: Sierra This user has validated their user name.

Wed Mar 27 10:05:53 2013

Sounds like user error. OP must have been logged in to PP on that account.

by: FREDDY This user has validated their user name.

Wed Mar 27 10:22:41 2013

Do not understand why anyone would use anything but your own email address etc,-even as secondary?????? Girlfriend or not - stuff happens.
This should remind everyone to double check all info on both paypal ebay.

by: Chrissy This user has validated their user name.

Wed Mar 27 10:25:29 2013

I understand what Bryan is saying, this happened to me yesterday also.

My PayPal account was set up by my husband years ago, and when I started selling on ebay, I changed the email address to my business address but left his as a back-up.  All correspondence has been through my email only since then.

Yesterday, I had a buyer email me that they had received a notice from PayPal that their echeck had cleared, but I didn't get an email from PayPal.  I went into my account and saw where it had indeed cleared.

Last night when my husband logged into his email, there was the notice from PayPal about the echeck.  We haven't changed any info in our PayPal account recently.  I couldn't have ''picked'' my husbands email to get this message only.  It was obviously an error on PayPal's end.

by: XebayX This user has validated their user name.

Wed Mar 27 10:33:28 2013

Murphy's Law: If anything can go wrong, it probably will.
Protect yourself from poor programming and glitches.
I know I'm not perfect (almost, LOL), so I don't assume everyone else is.
I do my best to protect ME.

by: FREDDY This user has validated their user name.

Wed Mar 27 10:40:08 2013

Murphy's Law - If nothing is wrong - then ebay is not involved in any way.

This user has validated their user name. by: Nolle

Wed Mar 27 10:52:06 2013

these alternate emails aren't back-ups - they are authorized (and verified) emails for the account.  for example, i use a different pp email for ebay, etsy, my webstore, and non-business payments.

sure, it could of been a pp glitch or a user error.  i had something similar happen awhile back with a website sale until i realized i had used the wrong email payment address in a manual invoice i had sent the buyer.

by: DonC This user has validated their user name.

Wed Mar 27 11:08:18 2013

Check the physical address that PayPal has on file for you as well.

PayPal has changed some back to older addresses you used in the past.

by: piano This user has validated their user name.

Wed Mar 27 12:00:03 2013

Same thing happened to us 2 or 3 years ago. BEFORE we married, I listed a treasured item on ebay, something I had loved for 30 years. Told my fiance about it, he felt sorry for me and bought it; proudly telling me to keep it on the shelf and not to ship. At that time he lived in another city with a different computer; my computer was used only by me; we did not share a name, address, bank account, email, anything. We STiLL have no idea how ebay linked us because everything was separate then...however, eBay immediately put me on notice of a major infraction: Shill bidding! People -- we are on database we know nothing about..PP, ebay, google, worse, our own govt. What have we come to?

This user has validated their user name. by: elpereles

Wed Mar 27 12:20:55 2013

"...NOT TO WORRY."

I suggest to you get worry and the 1rst thing is run to change the password.

Agree with others. WTF!? Why someone has a girlfriend e-mail as secondary? Is so difficult have an e-mail in Yahoo, GMail, and Hotmail at the same time?

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Wed Mar 27 13:08:21 2013

Ummmm--I have not had this particular email dealie happen thru PP.  But--I would much rather have a close relative have a back up email addy there than one only sccessible by ME.  Now heres one reason why--several times my ebay selling has been rudely interrupted by sudden hospital stays.  And if I did not have some one listed on my accounts to get emails I might miss I could have had problems.  Now I have been lucky in that I have been able to keep up with ebay while hospitalized BUT I know people who have NOT been able to.

And having a back up access to a family member would have been a very GOOD thing there.  And ebay treated this as if it was a big joke--and then wanted to slam the seller because some items did not ship but when they were asked to CANCEL them the seller was told NO .

As to HOW PP suddenly decided to contact some one outside of the primary---hmmmm

But just yesterday I got a call from a medical practise looking for my husband--and when I questioned WHY they were calling ME they told me that my cell number was somehow now listed as his WORK phone number!  Um---no.  Clever--but--no.

And on the same sort of Huh???--moment--a while back our local bank branch was bought out.  This week we discovered--and not in a friendly sorta way--that ALL of the old banks customer info was NEVER updated--so some peoples info is 30 YEARS OLD. Whatever info you OPENED that account with is now the default info!   They had on file for a family member an out of state drivers license that EXPIRED in ---2007.  And they wanted her to produce the thing!  Ummm--what is kinda scary about this is--if she had that DL number--no matter WHO she was or HOW she got it--they would have unlocked the access to her account OVER THE PHONE.  Even tho the info she had used to request a NEW REPLACEMENT ATM CARD AFTER SHE WAS ROBBED WAS--the current info!  In person.  But--the bank systems were set for something completely different.  Now we are going to go and check--in person---our info.  And make SURE it is current.  Imagine being on vacation and losing your ATM card---and getting this sort of runaround!

Weren't these systems suppossed to make our lives EASIER????

This user has validated their user name. by: Tula

Wed Mar 27 15:21:27 2013

I would recommend checking the email carefully to make sure it's genuine. I don't see it as a big deal for *valid* secondary email addresses (though it should be going to your primary, unless that one is unreachable for some reason) to get confirmation messages but there are a lot of phishing scam emails going around right now that look like those very same Paypal payment confirmations.