Sun Dec 29 2013 19:42:03

eBay Practice of Displaying Unsold Listing as Sold Is Deceiving

By: Reader

I was doing some housekeeping on my eBay site and ended some of my listings that were slow moving so I could freshen them up and relist them as new.

It was about 2 weeks before I went back to relist my items. Because I sell automotive parts I use eBay's advanced search to show completed listings within the past 2 weeks so I could get a feel for the current price items are selling for and not selling for.

I was surprised to find that all of my listings that I ended showed up in this search and they were marked green indicating that they had sold for that price. None of my items actually sold, I ended all of the listings, but eBay has them appearing as if they sold.

Now I wonder how many other items that are marked green have actually sold? There are items that appear to be selling, and lots of them, for more money then my item, but now I'm wondering if those items actually sold or ended or the listing just expired.

So tricky of eBay to give me the impression that more of a particular item is selling then really is. I've thought about subscribing to TeraPeak but I wonder if they have the same distorted information from eBay?
eBay Parts Seller

eBay Practice of Displaying Unsold Listing as Sold   eBay Practice of Displaying Unsold Listing as Sold

This user has validated their user name. by: Anonymous Annie

Sun Dec 29 21:38:58 2013

One might think that eBay wouldn't need to rely on such things, but, it seems to me that they are placing a lot of importance on putting on a show... dressing the windows... to give the APPEARANCE of having an active turnover in merchandise.

Why would they do this?

Well... it's an old trick that SMALL sellers often do. They'll refer to their business using plural pronouns. (ie: ''We appreciate your business.'' or ''Please call our office.'' or ''Someone will assist you.'')

Even with there's only ONE person running the entire show... the use of plural pronouns makes the small sole-proprietorship business appear to be a bit more successful than it really is.

Success breeds success... and sometimes, just the APPEARANCE of activity can also influence onlookers into believing that the site is successful.

I'm guilty of doing the same thing myself. On my website, I'll put an icon in the corner of a page that labels an item as being ''HOT'' or ''POPULAR'' (even if I haven't sold any yet) in an effort to push people into feeling confident in making the purchase.

I'm not going to fault eBay for using this gimmick and technique... BUT I WON'T HESITATE to point out that the fact eBay is doing this AT ALL is very revealing!

WHY would such a ''successful'' venue need to create the ILLUSION of being a successful venue? --- Wouldn't eBay's ACTUAL success be proof enough?

Or... is it that eBay not REALLY as busy and successful as they would have us believe?

WHO is eBay trying to fool? (Certainly not the seller who wrote this letter! After all, he/she knows which of their items actually sold!)

So, is eBay trying to fool POTENTIAL NEW SELLERS? What's the message? -- Is it: ''Hey! Look how many things we're selling! You should sell here too and get in on the action!''

Or is eBay trying to motivate hesitant buyers? Is the message: ''Look how many people have bought THIS VERY SAME ITEM from eBay! Fear not! Buy today!''

by: Moonwishes This user has validated their user name.

Sun Dec 29 23:51:48 2013

Big difference between the editorial 'we' and ebay actually lying about items being sold. So stock owners hear things aren't great at ebay so they pop on the site and see lots of sold listings which makes them think everything is fine, no worries. I would hate thinking that people are setting prices and popularity of an item by ebay marking ended listings as sold.

This user has validated their user name. by: bitbybit

Mon Dec 30 00:05:36 2013

Wizard of Oz: Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.

Everything is just super duper on ebay after all EVERYONE is purchasing by MOBILE. Did I mention MOBILE? MOBILE, MOBILE, MOBILE!! Donahoe's FAVORITE word. Ebay's numbers never lie. lol

by: josephgalindo This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 30 00:41:43 2013

You can take several actions on this page to get your items back up for sale. You can bulk-relist by placing check marks in the boxes to the left of the listings and then clicking the Relist button at the top.

This user has validated their user name. by: bitbybit

Mon Dec 30 00:51:01 2013

Okay now josephgalindo! Back to our regular broadcast station.

by: Bloggo This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 30 00:57:21 2013

''You can bulk-relist by placing check marks...''

This is news?

by: Massachusets Howler This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 30 01:33:25 2013

Hey Joe,
You can also boil a chicken in the microwave but what in the HAY does that have to do with ebay showing items as sold?
Joe, can I relist directly from THIS page? on Ina's site? Where are the new check boxes Ina, I don't see em?
Paypal in SPACE!!

Joe- you work for ebay right? You are one of those 14 csr's from the Phillipines named ''Joe'' right?? You promised me you were going to ''call me right back'' and I have been patiently waiting by my phone for 3 days and nights for my $4.92 credit.
MH
PS: Just for the record Paypal in space WAS crazier than the amazon delivery drones- just sayin'.

by: Massachusets Howler This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 30 01:42:27 2013

(This is serious).
Somebody who is on ecrater- the old howler needs a bit of advice. Trying to load 60 initial items and when doing the bulk upload, it said waiting... then it said failed- I clicked and it said that ''I needed to provide receipts to prove the authenticity of my items''??
I emailed them, gave them my 13 year id- 11,0001sales-never a whiff of counterfiet- all perfection. WHO do I need to call or email and what should I do- I have gotta get out of ebay and this is so discouraging.
Big move for the howler, help a nice fellow here guys and give me a clue. My stuff is used mens thrift clothing.
(Sorry to go off topic Ina).
Mass Howler
I could always send em 16 glad bags full of GW receipts!

by: Massachusets Howler This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 30 02:04:13 2013

WOW! I just thought about this and I am PISSED!

Ecrater (or any other venue for that matter) hears we sell on ebay and the 1st thing they think is we are a counterfeiter or scammer- I should have put it on Julia's story as this REALLY is related.

Ecrater now does not trust we long-term ethical mom and pop sellers because of ebays SOILED reputation.

gee, so much for building a positive reputation selling on ebay for 12 hard and honest years.
thanks for the bad reputation jd/ebay- your image is absolutely ruining my reputation!.
Massachusetts Howler
(This is very TELLING).
This crappy company is RUINING MY EXCELLENT REPUTATION that I worked very hard and consistently for!!

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Mon Dec 30 02:16:01 2013

The practice of publicly showing Unsold items as Sold is a deceptive and possibly criminal business practice designed to deceive investors seeking to assess the health of ebay corp. and the value of ebay stock.

Google Ruth Handler Mattel

As for PayPal in space, it could be used as long as you had internet access. I think they have internet access on the international space station, and there's no reason why internet access couldn't be included in space flight as long as you had patience to deal with the lag time.

Just as an experiment, perhaps The Ho would volunteer to test PayPal in space during a one way trip to Europa.

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Mon Dec 30 07:37:10 2013

Now, who would have thought that eBay could be so deceptive?

The treatment of such unsold items as sold is simply one more example of eBay's devious attempts to hide from the market, sellers, buyers and Wall Street, that their sell though rate is crashing and is considerably lower than they would like anyone—particularly the stock markets analysts, and particularly not those not on the eBay payroll—to realise.

eBay’s “Best Match” is another such fraud on eBay users. When you look at listings sorted by eBay’s default “Best Match” search, whether generally or by individual merchant, it appears that listings that have bids thereon are magically moved towards the top of the list of what would otherwise be a simple “ending soonest” sort. This is another way that eBay attempts to deceive observers into thinking that everything is hunky dory; but, if you move past those items with bids thereon you will likely soon enough come to the masses of items with zero bids thereon that are ultimately going to make up the “oceans of red” that are now evident in the completed listings of a great many, if not all, scrupulous merchants—the unscrupulous merchants will have much less “red” in their completed listings because they are bidding on and “buying” much of their own stuff themselves (it’s called “establishing the market”—the eBay-approved way!).

Regardless, most unscrupulous merchants understand how “Best Match” works and will place a shill bid or two, or three or four or more, on their own auctions to give them the best chance of appearing high up in any search result. But, if you change the sort algorithm from the default “Best Match” to “Time: ending soonest”, you will get the accurate picture of the state of bidding on the items you have searched for, and if you are looking at the listings of an honest merchant, be prepared for a shock …

eBay / PayPal / Donahoe: Dead Men Walking ... http://bit.ly/11F2eas

And eBay is advertising in Australia, “PayPal , the mobile way to pay” … LOL

When eBay has to spend its money on advertising you know things are getting really desperate …

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Mon Dec 30 11:12:22 2013

@Mass Howler - Did you use this contact form?

You can also start a thread here with your issues here:

Between the two you should get the help you need quickly.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Mon Dec 30 11:30:13 2013

@Mass Howler - Forgot to mention, on the Community boards you need to post under the "eCrater Sellers Only" thread under the General Discussion heading. The only way you can see that is by logging in at the top which will make the Sellers thread visible.

by: midcenturygallery This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 30 11:44:35 2013

I'm pretty sure terapeak and worthpoint are getting the same false information. I was surprised a couple weeks ago when I went to look some Jade up on Worthpoint and I found another item I had listed then ended as being sold for almost 5000.00. That would have been nice if the Jade Tiger had actually sold but I still have it and it never sold.

by: NetWatch This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 30 11:50:08 2013

Yet more deception by ebay corporate. Everyone here is welcome to join and post on my open FB group, Former Ebay Sellers: https://www.facebook.com/groups/formerebaysellers/

This user has validated their user name. by: Don Wagner

Mon Dec 30 12:11:03 2013

Of course it is not unusual to see astronomical ASKING prices for items listed by clueless sellers, but I was beginning to wonder why an occasional item would "sell" Buy It Now for $450 while forty similar listings had ended at auction around $85-$115.

This user has validated their user name. by: Don Wagner

Mon Dec 30 12:15:00 2013

Hello midcenturygallery - eBay might have claimed some simple confusion in the way they display ended listings, but if it is reflected in Worthpoint - that is OUT AND OUT FRAUD.

This user has validated their user name. by: Don Wagner

Mon Dec 30 12:23:18 2013

by: RCL This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 30 12:30:09 2013

This has been discussed here--there must be a ton of info in Ina's archive.

This user has validated their user name. by: bitbybit

Mon Dec 30 13:30:48 2013

Ebay use to display a banner across the gallery photo as SOLD even when it was not. Apparently people were becoming wise to that tactic and ebay is going to this deceptive tactic. Well "we won't be fooled again".