Thu Dec 26 2013 09:47:55

eBay Should Disable Negative Feedback for Shipping Time Ratings

By: Reader

During periods of bad weather, eBay takes steps to protect sellers from low  DSR scores due to carrier delays.

As UPS and FedEx have both reported higher than anticipated volume which has led to thousands of packages which were delayed, I wonder if eBay is going  to offer sellers similar protections.

One of the inherent problems with eBay's rating system has always been that sellers are left on the hook for the failures of carriers to deliver packages  within anticipated time frames.

Complicating matters is the estimated delivery times displayed by eBay on seller listings which do not take into account higher than expected carrier volume as has happened here, or weather issues which prevent carriers from meeting normal delivery time frames.

It seems only reasonable that eBay should take action to protect sellers from receiving low ratings as opposed to taking action after low ratings are given to sellers and made part of their account history.

While eBay has always been reactive instead of proactive in these instances, given the carriers are admitting they were not prepared for the volume of packages they received, it seems like eBay should afford sellers protection from low scores. Requiring sellers to contact eBay to address issues after they have happened seems like a tremendous waste of time for all parties concerned.

eBay should, in this case, disable low scores for shipping related issues by either issuing automatic 5 stars or eliminating the ability of buyers to leave low scores due to the issues carriers had this holiday season.
Regards,
Ric

PS: Just watched ABC local news in New York, and apparently, Amazon is going to refund shipping costs to effected buyers and issue them a 20% discount coupon on  a future purchase due to these shipping delays.

eBay Should Disable Negative Feedback for Shipping   eBay Should Disable Negative Feedback for Shipping

by: Donkey This user has validated their user name.

Thu Dec 26 10:22:00 2013

The post office is having the same issues.
I am having buyers blaming me for not getting their packages there on time and ruining Christmas.
Having way to many cases open in the dispute center.  Many disputes are being automatically opened by ebay if the buyer simply asks a question.

by: sasikat9 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Dec 26 11:09:05 2013

Using the words Ebay and buyer protection in the same sentence is funny,

Ebay in no way cares if your package gets to where it is supposed to by the date they decide.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Dec 26 14:01:53 2013

Maybe the 2 donohues can run the post office together and solve all of life's problems (shipping) lol

This user has validated their user name. by: Anonymous Annie

Thu Dec 26 16:36:21 2013

Oh dear! Are you kidding? eBay? Seriously? --- Not a chance in hello that this would ever happen.

And it if does, I'll eat my pretty pink hat!

by: LAbay This user has validated their user name.

Thu Dec 26 17:44:26 2013

Amazon is so smart to refund shipping and give away coupons. All the eBay buyers will learn to shop at Amazon next Holiday season.

by: Bloggo This user has validated their user name.

Thu Dec 26 19:32:58 2013

It's simple. Amazon is smart. eBay, not so much.

This user has validated their user name. by: WOODJUNGLE! ON EBAY

Fri Dec 27 01:17:57 2013

Right.  I just got nailed for a low shipping time DSR (first one in my last 3000 shipments.  item shipped same day  it was paid for via priority mail. supposed to be there in 2-3 days. post office took 7 days to get it there.  ebay WOULD NOT take off the rating. rep didn't even care about weather or holiday season. their solution?: USE A FASTER SERVICE.  lol.  I did have the rep call the customer though and he agreed to have it removed.

The shipping time DSR is flawed for several reasons just like most of the other DSR areas are. For instance, people on the coasts, or even Hawaii or Alaska for that matter, will have slower shipping times to much of the country. People in center of the country obviously have more even transit times.

Ebay is a joke so don't expect  common sense.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Fri Dec 27 07:31:49 2013

eBay only wants our money.  eBay do not see us as a business partner so don't expect treatment like someone who sees you as a  VALUED business partner.  Who knew a company could ever get away with treating their customers this way.

This user has validated their user name. by: Anonymous Annie

Fri Dec 27 08:45:55 2013

Ahhh... it's so nice to be able to operate a business and not be held hostage to these types of short-sighted antics.

Did I have some packages delayed? --- Sadly, YES I DID.

Is my business AT RISK because of it? --- Thankfully, NO IT'S NOT!

Things happen that are beyond my ability to control... and which are beyond my customer's tolerance (and budget) when it comes to upgrading to a 'faster shipping method'.

So... even with that in mind, when a customer expresses disappointment in the fact that their item didn't arrive in time... I'm happy to voluntarily give them a small store credit (or a coupon code) that can be applied to a future purchase.

Yep! For me to do this is money out of my pocket, an investment of sorts. --- BUT, it spreads goodwill, it helps me to retain a customer.

Ultimately, the customer will accept my offer of ammends, or they won't.

But regardless of how the customer responds to my offer (and even if I chose to not make the offer in the first place) I'm *still* not AT RISK of being punished or having my business SHUT DOWN due to someone's disappointment in shipping speed.

Of course, the customer's disappointment is justified! But it's completely unfair to allow a customer's misdirected anger to have a negative impact on someone who had NO CONTROL over what happened.

Woodjungle notes: ''ebay WOULD NOT take off the rating. rep didn't even care about weather or holiday season. their solution?: USE A FASTER SERVICE.''

Oh dear! Could the rep *BE* any more dismissive?

What seller has TIME to deal with this sort of absurd nonsense?!

This user has validated their user name. by: Ric

Fri Dec 27 14:36:51 2013

A full day of media coverage regarding UPS and FedEX failures to complete holiday deliveries,and eBay has not made so much as an announcement on their rarely used announcement board.

The sorry state of affairs due to eBay management's disconnection from reality continues to put sellers at higher risk of suspension.

I guess eBay has decided to use the issues with UPS and FedEX to prime the pump for the next round of seller purges.

How many thousands of sellers will feel the swift kick of the eBay boot in the next round?  Several thousand...tens of thousands???

No wonder John Donahoe felt it necessary to lower Q4 expectations, eBay is showing buyers and sellers that management holds so little regard for both buyers and sellers.

I guess Donahoe will be having another health issue next month when he needs to conjure up new projections for Q1 2014.

by: Mr. Me This user has validated their user name.

Fri Dec 27 17:03:07 2013

Shipping DSR's = buyer not happy with fedex or ups price or performabce .... blame the seller !!

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Fri Dec 27 17:21:26 2013

If Ebay were to do as Ric suggests, then all seller benefit, even those that actually did ship late.  Which is exactly why making a blanket policy or process on this won't work.

I don't know if Ebay will help any of the affected sellers or not.  I personally haven't heard anything except what I've read on various threads.

Now this closing statement is an interesting comment "Just watched ABC local news in New York, and apparently, Amazon is going to refund shipping costs to effected buyers and issue them a 20% discount coupon on  a future purchase due to these shipping delays."  This is a great example of what part of the problem is when you are a seller on Ebay.

Many expect small mom & pop or just mom or pop stores to be able to compete with the big boys.  We can't stay a viable business and have return / refund policies like the big boys.  Our pockets aren't that deep.  But we are continually compared to them which just allows the problem to continue to grow.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ric

Sat Dec 28 00:19:29 2013

@ Marie... eBay could easily program the low DSR block so that it applies only to items shipped by sellers within specified time frames and afford sellers the kind of protection one would expect from a trading partner that is concerned with it's sellers reputations.

The closing statement you refer to was not intended as a suggestion of actions for sellers, but was rather included to show how Amazon promptly reacted as a company as opposed to eBay who still has buried their corporate heads in the sand with regard to this issue.

by: Massachusets Howler This user has validated their user name.

Sat Dec 28 01:38:01 2013

NOT AS MUCH AS A WHISPER from ebay.
Let the sellers SWEAT IT OUT, not our problem.
Please ask ebay or matsura or WHOEVER what ebays response will be for this- I guess no ebay sellers have been affected- RIGHT??!
Ebay can shuff it off onto small sellers, they can send all of our business to the big boys- my sales were down 90%- NINTY-PERCENT and ebay reported a 21% growth- NOT HERE.
THEY SACRIFICED US to serve the big boys worse than ever- They are LAYING LOW, letting sellers take the HEAT- no warehouses-= they do not ship so they do not care.
JUST WAIT for the quarterly- I spent my time working on my new product and sorcing supplies and small equiptment from Alibaba- and my new product will be packed & shipped by DISABLED FOLKS here in my home state- after I source product from China- LOL- and set up simple manufacturing- I will not even need to get out of bed in the morning!
You lost my biz ebay- and you can eat a big can of SHI*.
Annie and her red hat, so FUNNY dear- LOL.

Thanks for TEACHING ME how to be RUTHLESS and SUCCESSFUL ebay- at least I LEARNED something for my 12 years on ebay! LOL.
I am going to make a PILE, I am going to HELP my DEAR DISABLE workers and ebay is going to be on top of a pile of SMELLY FECES.
I am creating a don't have to wake up money machine and I am going to leave JD in the stinky dust.
Will keep you posted, staying quiet, for now.
Loyalty creates loyalty, let me get this done and I will show ALL my BROTHERS and SISTERS how to do it.

I will not have another holiday season like this one- they sold us OUT BIG TIME.

I called and complained EVERY DAY and they said ''sorry your children had no Christmas- we will send you a $100 code to buy gifts''- I said okay, but that does not fix my business and exposure.
IF THE 'CODE'' ever arrives I will use it to buy a small finishing machine to use to set up my business to go to AMAZON to sell and help my handicapped folks.
- will keep ina posted.
Wish me luck.

Mass Howler

by: Massachusets Howler This user has validated their user name.

Sat Dec 28 01:40:54 2013

(Excuse me while I FLOOD the AUTOMOTIVE LISTINGS with EACH and EVERY make, model and year after sending amazon my provisional patent- I will FLOOD the pages like all the big boys and I will not accept paypal)!!

LOL- Mass Howler
Send me that ''code'' ebay- LOL!

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Sat Dec 28 02:29:03 2013

@ric

Any programming for a company the size of Ebay is not going to be cheap.  It isn't like doing something for your personal computer or some small company.

I called Ebay this evening to try and get a feel for their position as this problem could hit my account at any time.  While the CSR I spoke with was unsure if there was going to be a formal announcement, she told me that they have been told to take things on a case by case basis and if it appears to be related to the carrier errors for the holiday deliveries that they will be able to help us.  Now I'm smart enough to know that until that is tested none of us should believe it.

As for the Amazon comment.  It appeared since you were talking about Ebay that you were expecting Ebay to do the same, but the comparison is not apples to apples.  Amazon is refunding those that joined their program [which has a fee] for expedited shipping.

This user has validated their user name. by: Anonymous Annie

Sat Dec 28 10:17:58 2013

It's probably true that ''on-the-fly'' programming (ie: reactive, hasty, stop-gap, etc.) is likely to be risky and prone to errors.

At this point it's not likely that eBay will make any programmatic changes to address this type of issue.

However... I can't help but wonder why it is that eBay (apparently) never thought of this before. I mean, seriously, didn't it cross ANYONE'S mind that a situation like this might occur?

If someone wants to split-hairs, I suppose that in the most *narrow* interpretation of of Ric's comment (about Amazon's response) well... yes, it is ''apples and oranges''.

I think, however, a more *reasonable* way to read his comment is that he was pointing out that Amazon was prepared to respond quickly to the issue. (In contrast, eBay was not prepared to do anything, at all.)

Yes, it would be unreasonable to expect eBay to do the *exact* *same* *thing* as Amazon, if that had that been the suggestion... but it wasn't. Of course, there are many different variables involved.

But it's NOT unreasonable to expect that eBay should do *something*... ANYTHING that would help to protect the reputations (and livelihoods) of those honest sellers who were affected.

Yes... even if this means that some ''undeserving'' sellers may also benefit.

Actually, it's quite amazing to realize that eBay was totally unprepared for something like this.

Or, even if they *were* prepared, and even if they *do* have the programming already in place to handle this situation... the fact that they do nothing (because undeserving sellers may benefit?) provides us with a very frightening look into this company's business philosophies.

by: Massachusets Howler This user has validated their user name.

Sat Dec 28 10:28:10 2013

Ebays STRATEGY is to lay low and let THEIR SELLERS, Amazon, UPS and Fed-ex take it on the chin.
They sold out small sellers this holiday trying ONCE AGAIN to keep their diamonds on, and left we long-term original small legacy sellers on the WAYSIDE in yet another FEEBLE attempt to preserve the diamonds and prop-up their sales at OUR expense.

Amazon ads EVERYWHERE, no ebay ads ANYWHERE- KINDLES EVERYWHERE- nothing from ebay ANYWHERE.
Stop making technical excuses for ebay and John Donahoe and ebay Marie- they have OUR MONEY to protect us, and they choose to play the lay low strategy so we can be BURNT and BLAMED.
STOP MAKING EXCUSES for this CRIMINAL and DECEPTIVE company. They are LOADED with our cash and they should be out on the FRONT LINE protecting their seller customers.
This strategy speaks VOLUMES about the ETHICS and underlying mind-set of John Donahoe and ebays current company culture.

I am loading all stock to ECRATER today, and I URGE all others to follow. There is room for all of us there and we can again enjoy OUR businesses and customers.

(Sign up for STRIPE over at Ecrater, easily set up your FREE Google feed and CONTROL it. We can do this people.

Massachusetts Howler

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Sat Dec 28 12:55:09 2013

Ebay has now made an announcement.

ellers-ebay-is-protecting-you-from-major-carrier-holiday-shipping-delays/?_trksid=p3984.m2301.l3955

Attention
sellers: eBay is protecting you from major carrier holiday shipping delays
Due to carrier delays, a small number of buyers who placed orders for delivery by holiday deadlines did not receive their packages on time.
We are working to determine which sellers have been affected by these recent carrier delays. For those sellers we identify as being impacted, your seller standard will be protected from cases for items not received and low Detailed Seller Ratings for Ship Time. In addition, both negative and neutral feedback where the comment is only related to shipping for impacted transactions may be removed upon seller request. Information on feedback removal can be found here.
As always, thank you for selling on eBay.