Wed Dec 18 2013 22:13:07

Photo Quality: eBay versus Amazon

By: Reader

I am a small eBay seller who has FINALLY gotten the pictures eBay says are unacceptable out and some new ones in. I used Photo Smart Editor.

I do, however, shop a lot on Amazon. Has anyone noticed their pictures are not always great, and often have just one picture, no close ups, etc.

Amazon is doing pretty well. Why is eBay making such a big fuss about pixel size when their main competitor is often posting medium grade pictures and, surprisingly, getting lots of sales!

Amazing, or should I say Amazon?
Merry Christmas!
Nancy

Photo Quality: eBay versus Amazon   Photo Quality: eBay versus Amazon

This user has validated their user name. by: NaruMessenger

Wed Dec 18 22:35:15 2013

Ever notice some chosen eBay TRS never comply with photo policy and get away with it. But a small seller will get the boot real quick!

eBanged Again!

Photo Quality: eBay versus Amazon   Photo Quality: eBay versus Amazon

This user has validated their user name. by: ebayisajoke

Wed Dec 18 22:44:14 2013

The answer to this question is "because they can", and this allows for another excuse to ban a seller for not following their silly rules. However some sellers that are drop shippers use one white background Amazon photo to sell their item, I try and find at least 6 good photos of the item I'm selling when I list a drop ship item on eBay.

If you guys want more tips on how to drop ship please contact me or visit my blog. The information is free.

Btw Doc is right, small sellers get the boot faster then TRS's because they are in the middle of the eBay Pyramid. Check out my eBay Ponzi video on Youtube.

BTW
if my youtube channel is gone by the time you try and view this video, a select few members including crazeenydriver of youtube (ebay top rated seller) has been flagging my videos as fake copyright violations. I'll try and get all my videos up on ebayisajokevideo.com soon.

Photo Quality: eBay versus Amazon   Photo Quality: eBay versus Amazon

by: tb This user has validated their user name.

Wed Dec 18 23:50:07 2013

ebayisajoke: Vid not gone, but shows up as "Private"

Photo Quality: eBay versus Amazon   Photo Quality: eBay versus Amazon

by: Moonwishes This user has validated their user name.

Thu Dec 19 02:24:50 2013

Amazon does have rules for pictures and you can turn in ones that aren't right and they will take them down. If you add another item to the listing you can at times add your own pictures, I do it all the time. I hate the ones that people post that are sideways. what's with that?

Photo Quality: eBay versus Amazon   Photo Quality: eBay versus Amazon

by: salesrep1 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Dec 19 07:00:46 2013

Actually the picture change is for smart phones i didn't understand it til my kids showed me what a listing looks like . U know i ended up selling more dvd because my pictures show up while the generic ones don't show up at all.
I like everyone don't like the change but it has been useful.

Photo Quality: eBay versus Amazon   Photo Quality: eBay versus Amazon

by: JackieBlue This user has validated their user name.

Thu Dec 19 12:22:34 2013

I think the picture change is a good thing. One of the issues I have with selling on Amazon is that almost anyone can upload a picture and those are so s**tty that it causes problems when people by from us on Amazon. I have to go and then change it on Amazon and take care of the customer because the picture wasn't right. Ebay got it right on this one.

Photo Quality: eBay versus Amazon   Photo Quality: eBay versus Amazon

This user has validated their user name. by: Puck

Thu Dec 19 12:55:51 2013

"Why is eBay making such a big fuss about pixel size when their main competitor is often posting medium grade pictures and, surprisingly, getting lots of sales!"

Because of the managements' pathological need to meddle with every aspect of everyone's business.

It's purely a control thing.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ric

Thu Dec 19 17:33:59 2013

John Donahoe believes that if eBay imposes changes and does not hear complaints, then the changes did not go far enough.

Despite massive buyer alienation, Donahoe will defend and continue with his destructive innovations right up to the day he "leaves to spend more time with his family."

Hopefully, Q4 sales will be atrocious when compared to industry standards and the pressure will be on to increase revenue through honest to goodness increases in sales - not acquisitions designed to conceal the unhealthy sales numbers in the eBay marketplace.

Photo Quality: eBay versus Amazon   Photo Quality: eBay versus Amazon

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Fri Dec 20 00:17:40 2013

IT seems no matter WHAT our pics look like--and some are done by a pro photog family member and the rest of us ain't bad neither---sales are dismal.

And no I don;t think the photos are the cause!  I did paint the back of my bathroom door beige--I tried white and things just went dull and blah---to make a nicer contrast and view.  And still---

WE also have used pics that show one arm of say a jacket hanging down and one tucked into a pocket--this is a very common ad shot and shows how the fabric drapes and bulks.  One scammer decided to try and claim that the REASON we did this was to HIDE alleged damage to that cuff.  I find it--odd---that ONLY the  RIGHT side cuff on all of our jackets and such is DAMAGEd so we HIDE it this way!  Never the LEFT side---hmmm--is this not against the odds??

Oh well on that ONE item I won the SNAD as the guy admitted to washing the item with several products.  This is seems IS a violation of ebay policy.

Meanwhile we now make it a bigger point to photo all cuffs and collars etc.  And I NEVER use stock pics.

And if our pics are being STOLEN for other sellers to use to sell THEIR versions of OUR items--doesn't that make it seem like these were GOOD pics?  Bland white background or---not????

This user has validated their user name. by: Captain Nemo

Fri Dec 20 06:14:20 2013

Don't be so sure that Amazon's crappy photos are not an issue.  I didn't buy several items this season due to incomplete listing information on Amazon.

When you combine a tiny stock photo with missing (or non-existent) product descriptions, plus non-responsive sellers, you lose the sale.

Did Amazon inherit a bunch of bad ebay sellers?

Photo Quality: eBay versus Amazon   Photo Quality: eBay versus Amazon

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Fri Dec 20 08:09:44 2013

eBay love to create busy work.  It never stops.  I don't remember one instance where I had to edit listings on Amazon.

The MBAs at eBay are constantly changing things to justify their existence.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ric

Fri Dec 20 11:47:04 2013

More on topic, eBay's picture policy enforcement is a joke.

Images with slight lighting shadows are flagged by eBay's automated software as having added artwork, borders and text.

Items with images that actually have added artwork, borders and text are reported to eBay, yet the company  does not have sufficient staff on hand to enforce their policy as those listings close in their normal time frames.

Photo Quality: eBay versus Amazon   Photo Quality: eBay versus Amazon

This user has validated their user name. by: Bill

Sat Dec 21 03:26:18 2013

Ric:

eBay has been scaling down the workforce now for a year or so. It helps with the bottom line for Donuthole and all of the minions so that it looks like they are making money in a falling market.

Bill

Photo Quality: eBay versus Amazon   Photo Quality: eBay versus Amazon

by: FREDDY This user has validated their user name.

Sat Dec 28 10:57:51 2013

''Did Amazon inherit a bunch of bad ebay sellers?''
But of course....the first choice to go.