Wed Dec 11 2013 17:23:30

eBay Rejects USPS Number for Tracking When Adding Insurance

By: Reader

On Priority Mail packages with extra Insurance added, the Post Office considers the Insurance number as a tracking number, and does not issue a separate tracking number. Their software actually does not allow it. However, when entering this Insurance number on eBay, eBay does not accept this Insurance number as a tracking number.

So, we have two entities that do not see eye to eye on a Priority Mail package with extra Insurance added.

I wish that eBay would speak with the Post office and get this problem straightened out. eBay has to be able to accept the extra Insurance number as a tracking number, the same as the Post office does.

Since eBay sellers are penalized for not adding a tracking number, and since eBay will not allow the Post Office's Insurance number as a tracking number, something has to be done to correct this situation.

Can someone here talk to anyone at eBay and get it straightened out?
Signed,
A concerned eBay seller

eBay Rejects USPS Number for Tracking When Adding   eBay Rejects USPS Number for Tracking When Adding

by: Massachusets Howler This user has validated their user name.

Wed Dec 11 18:20:35 2013

Unacceptable!!
MH

This user has validated their user name. by: Puck

Wed Dec 11 22:12:05 2013

The insurance number is not online viewable by the public and does not satisfy the corporate criteria as a tracking number.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Wed Dec 11 23:51:30 2013

..... Maybe just ask them to scan the Priority mail label as "acceptance" so you have a record (tape) and its "in the system".

Buying postage and insurance via the window services is the most expensive way to send packages - even the automated machine is cheaper (%5 off retail instead of full price).

If you purchase both the label and the insurance at the same time (as apposed to seperately) most post offices will scan both numbers into the system - yours maybe different however.

Save yourself time and hassle - use any of the automated systems (indicia etc) where you can get discounts in shipping and insurance at the same time.

Just scanning in the blue insurance label is NOT considered tracking information - Puck is correct.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Wed Dec 11 23:58:23 2013

I'm curious as to why the OP isn't just printing out the labels through eBay or PayPal.

This user has validated their user name. by: bitbybit

Thu Dec 12 00:28:33 2013

Maybe I am not understanding this. OP are you looking to file a claim? You can file a claim on the USPS website and put in the ebay transaction number. USPS Priority includes insurance up to $50 and $100 for TRS. If you paid for additional insurance, you will be covered when filing the claim. I print my labels through Paypal or ebay.

by: Tiffee Jasso This user has validated their user name.

Thu Dec 12 01:50:49 2013

I use Ebay labels and I have no problem adding extra insurance as I get an automatic tracking number for everything I sell. Another benefit, Ebay notifies buyer and posts the number so the buyer can easily track the item. Its kind of like buying part for a Chevy at Ford, neither company is really happy about that.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Thu Dec 12 02:31:07 2013

I know this isn't a perfect solution as Ebay should allow proper tracking numbers to be entered, but go and try entering it through PayPal.

I've had similar problems before and I've always been able to take care of it through PP.  I hope it works for you too.

by: KathleenJohnson This user has validated their user name.

Thu Dec 12 02:46:24 2013

I shipped a package yesterday, and, was shocked when the lady handed me a separate number when I added extra insurance and announced "that was the tracking number". The "tracking number" was not on the Post Office receipt for all the packages I mailed that day - it was on a "separate" receipt. Not the norm at all.

For me, that was the first time I had come across that as, normally, I do not add extra insurance.

It was not an eBay sale, so, it will not impact me there right now - but, this is going to be problematic in the future if that is the case.

Of course, contacting eBay with this problem, I presume, is like throwing glass bottles at a brick wall?

I would like to see eCommerceBytes follow up on this though.

===================

by: ibs This user has validated their user name.

Thu Dec 12 04:32:17 2013

I enter the insurance number anyways and ignore the message...just say OK.  It always goes in.  I still receive the 20% credit for uploading tracking and clicking the number, on my sales page,  brings up the tracking info. You can also use the ins number on the USPS website and it will provide tracking info. Same thing with signature confirmation numbers.
I just consider the message a messy loose end that Ebay has not gotten around to cleaning up.

by: RCL This user has validated their user name.

Thu Dec 12 07:54:59 2013

The insurance number USED to "go in", but recently an error message appears to say "That does not look like a tracking number"... or something similar.

by: RCL This user has validated their user name.

Thu Dec 12 07:56:23 2013

But then, I have not found a place on the USPS site to track a signature-required insured package... do you have the url?

by: msquezal This user has validated their user name.

Thu Dec 12 08:17:34 2013

I have complained about the same issue to my local postal clerks. One of them, who has been there 25 years and quite brilliant came up with a ''work around'' that gets me a tracking number that the eBay system will accept. After she enters all he information and i am charged for the shipping and insurance, she goes into the system and issues information so it looks like the package came in with a pre-paid postage (like something you would print out at home with PayPal) and is then able to go in and add a tracking label. It is an extra step for her but it really helps me out!
If your package is insured at $50.00 or under you automatically get this acceptable number but once you add insurance over $50.00 you get the number that will not be accepted by the eBay system!
So with this ''work around'' i am able to submit the information and sleep better at night knowing that the customer has a number that they can use to track their package, and the eBay idiots find me in compliance with their never ending BS rules!
Everyone at my PO is very upset with this because the number they give is the tracking number but eBay insists its not. I told them i do not have hours to sit on the phone fighting with the powers that be at eBay....that someone from the upper ranks in the PO and eBay need to get together and fix the problem!

This user has validated their user name. by: TraderBoo

Thu Dec 12 08:54:33 2013

Just as FYI, UPS comes out cheaper in many cases. I always check the price deference between UPS and USPS and ship with the cheaper carrier. UPS wins 80% of the time. UPS also have free insurance up to to $150 for regular ground shipping and up.

by: ibs This user has validated their user name.

Thu Dec 12 09:53:49 2013

@RCL- Ebay still accepts the insured number, manually entered. Just ignore and  close the message box. Since I still get 100% (20% discount) on my tracking, I assume that message is just left over garbage.
Also on the USPS website use the insured number in the tracking box and it will bring up the tracking info.
I just tested both and it still works.

by: timeaftertime This user has validated their user name.

Thu Dec 12 10:19:36 2013

A couple of reactions:

I use printed out labels so I do have the tracking number ebay wants, which is the old "Delivery Confirmation" number. The original respondents are correct, the insurance # is for insurance, not tracking delivery.

This seems to be an area where it does not pay to fight - so many problems with ebay, why come up with another one to fight with them about when it's so easy to humor them?

On items I insure, I will purchase insurance separately and use the stick-on label. This looks better to my customer. It's also a reminder to USPS that scanning needs to be done.

Congrats, msquezal, how absolutely clever and how terrific your USPS lady will work with you! Who would have thought. Treat her like a queen and hope she doesn't get transferred!

@TraderBoo - Re USPS vs. UPS my experience is the exact opposite. Just quoted an oversize package from approx 200 miles away and UPS was TWICE the USPS. Another factor is that the recipient is not allowed to file an insurance claim with UPS - only the shipper. If the package you ship is damaged on receipt, it's all on you to go after a claim.

by: timeaftertime This user has validated their user name.

Thu Dec 12 10:21:46 2013

@ibs - if the insurance number works on the USPS tracking website, then USPS is up to date and it is eBay that is behind and needs to catch up.

by: RCL This user has validated their user name.

Thu Dec 12 12:02:39 2013

Thanks ibs, I will try again. I insure most of my items, so I could never be a TRS. eBay makes everything about selling hard.

by: PowerSeller2007 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Dec 12 13:01:32 2013

Ebay & USPS .. Out of Sync.

Unimaginable for 2 companies engaged in Billion Dollar Transactions

Both at fault and need to apologize to their customers... buyers and sellers... their butter and bread.

by: a_c_green This user has validated their user name.

Thu Dec 12 15:14:56 2013

> On items I insure, I will purchase insurance separately
> and use the stick-on label. This looks better to my customer.

I don't see how ''looking better'' is any advantage here, if at all. The eBay/PayPal printed label does carry the ''INSURED'' notation on it if you choose insurance at the time you're printing the label, and the on-line tracking also identifies it as insured.

> It's also a reminder to USPS that scanning
> needs to be done.

Scanning is done anyway, but your separate insurance purchase is muddling up your own tracking by causing the DC number you printed to be superseded by another one that's not visible to eBay or tied to your package on-line. I understand your wanting to assure your customers, but this is not a good way to go about it.

This user has validated their user name. by: Puck

Thu Dec 12 19:41:36 2013

"Ebay & USPS .. Out of Sync."

And a Donahoe at the wheel of both ships.