Mon Dec 9 2013 21:24:44

eBay Seller on the Edge as Reports of Purges Continue

By: Reader

Well, I've seen it all - a long time large power seller was booted with the last evaluation. He's a lot bigger than me and been around a bit longer as well (over ten for me). Looks like eBay is serious about booting everyone.

I've told my wife to tighten the belt and in my remaining time I'm going to try to pay off all bills for my business. I've already started looking for part time work (I'm a stay-at-home dad) and I've started to expand further on to Amazon. I sell on three sites other than eBay, but all three don't bring in what eBay does so it will be rough.

Sales have been stagnant all year with a huge decrease in sales the last 2-3 months around 5000 when I usually top 9-10 this time of year. I don't know what eBay wants but they don't want the old guard anymore.

I hope all these buyers giving 1-2 DSRs choke on the limited variety of the future.
K.

eBay Seller on the Edge as Reports of Purges Conti   eBay Seller on the Edge as Reports of Purges Conti

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Mon Dec 9 21:35:32 2013

If you are talking about Charlie, he was re-instated shortly after being axed.

by: Steevo This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 9 21:57:23 2013

Marie,
Maybe he is referring to Charlie, but would he have been reinstated without the press attention?
Would you?
Would I?
Unlikely.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Mon Dec 9 22:29:17 2013

I don't know Steevo.  Not a clue.  I can't figure out what Ebay is doing from one day to the next.  They are so inconsistent.

by: NetWatch This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 9 23:32:22 2013

It's not hard for those paying close attention to see what ebay's overall plan and design is. It has been stated by ebay top brass, and proven repeatedly by ebay's actions. If anybody hasn't figured it out by now, they need someone to draw them a picture I guess.

by: blaumann2 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Dec 10 01:24:13 2013

What may well stop ebay from purging everyone was illustrated a few years ago in the adult area.
Ebay made the rules very restrictive. Then they started to enforce the rules to the letter. They were suspending big sellers all the time.
THEN suddenly they loosened everything up, quit suspending people and just had the rules that made sense.
They were loosing out on too much money.
When offing all the sellers starts costing them, and it will, they will stop the crap.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ed Gadfly

Tue Dec 10 02:35:08 2013

Maybe eBay will make an app so you clean find your local food pantry.

It would tear me up to see my kids do without, just because I depended on eBay. Mrs. Gadfly said, "Ed, you deserve to do work that makes you happy and the kids deserve a decent life. You ain't gonna be a Power Seller feller, so get yet butt back to the slaughter house and make yerself useful again."

As we say to the meat cutters, "Time to veal good, again."

by: doboy This user has validated their user name.

Tue Dec 10 08:47:35 2013

Looking at the overall picture and adding it all up, eBay has turned into a "social" register of sales sites.

According to eBay, some do not meeting the social register and, therefore, are not invited to the Christmas Ball.

by: Bidonmine This user has validated their user name.

Tue Dec 10 09:56:00 2013

I have been selling and buying on Ebay since they started.
This month marks the first time I have become unsure of the future of selling on ebay (I do sell on other sites)...

I sell on four sites as well as at flea-markets so ebay is only 20% to 25% of my sales, however, it would be hard to make up the loss without an additional selling venue.... So, For the first time, I have decided to look into my own website (which is a lot more work) as a way of lessening my exposure on Ebay.

I am sure that I am not the only one who has decided to explore additional outlets.

Ebay, by acting the way they do, is actually helping other selling sites to increase their market share (which may ultimately be the downfall of Ebay).

by: Randy This user has validated their user name.

Tue Dec 10 10:42:32 2013

When I read this, I thought I was reading my own story but didn't remember writing it. I too noticed the drop about 3 months ago and, just like you, used to do $10,000+ in November and $15,000+ in December, but now, less than $5,000!  I am barely holding my head above water!

by: RCL This user has validated their user name.

Tue Dec 10 11:17:27 2013

Is it because you are siphoning off sales eBay would rather push through the diamond class?

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Tue Dec 10 11:23:13 2013

Bingo RCL. That is exactly what it is.

by: Massachusets Howler This user has validated their user name.

Tue Dec 10 14:57:35 2013

GSI (aka ebay enterprises) and the diamonds- they are getting ALL the business.

I bet diamond sellers don't have any limits Ina!

The search is set up so diamond sellers of multiple cheap items get seen in search- our unique items have no ''sales impressions'' so if we are lucky, we get page 83.

If we re-list or sell similar on these unique items with ''no impressions'' they go to page 107 and are never seen.

This is the methodology of ebay, slowly allow the search engine cull sellers with NO SALES.

We TRY and re-write ads from scratch and it still shows up on page 83, but this is a bit better than re-list but we are DYING ON THE VINE by design.

This is how ebay re-pays us for our years of service and loyalty.

As ebay slowly increases their GSI and diamond sales, they slowly PURGE us in blocks.

What a great business model- especially when your sellers are among your biggest pool of buyers.

If we want to survive we better get a bunch of MULTIPLES of SOMETHING or we are most certainly TOAST.

Starving here, after 12 years on ebay when we all should be BOOMING from many years of hard work.
Mass Howler

This user has validated their user name. by: ebayisajoke

Tue Dec 10 18:32:34 2013

Sellers I suggest you start using rss feeds and more social media to promote your items. I can turn a slow sellers sales into freight train of profit. Hit me up at my blog and I'll show you how.

Ebay is indeed tho trying to get rid of sellers that do not purchase products. If you place all your eggs in one basket at eBay don't cry when you get the mc999 axe telling you it's been fun but we no longer want you to create anymore accounts and no longer want your business.

This business model method is currently biting ebay in the ass but they won't admit it, Just like they didn't admit Amazon was beating them year after year. I say Fire that mouthpiece donahoe and allow someone to fix ebay back to the way it was.

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Wed Dec 11 13:31:15 2013

And yet another telling article on eBay by Anna Tims in “theGuardian/TheObserver”, currently with 315 comments, mostly negative of eBay, of course. Things appear to be not going so well for eBay in the UK; methinks the eBay Dept of Spin is going to have to improve its game …

-ebay?commentpage=1

And what does the "smart money" on Wall Street think about eBay Inc., and the Ho—the man at the helm of eBay, now in the seventh year of his three-year turnaround of eBay? Well, in August 2007, shortly before the Ho became CEO, the share prices of both eBay and Amazon were ~$40; today, eBay is ~$51; Amazon is ~$384 …

What else can one say other than, clearly, HAL has taken control of eBay, and the Ho having been so supplanted, was looking for a new organisation on which to demonstrate his destructive incompetence, and some fool is apparently going to let him have an influence on the “President's Export Council”. If this appointment was not so demonstrably, potentially destructive many would consider it simply laughable …

eBay / PayPal / Donahoe: Dead Men Walking ...

This user has validated their user name. by: bitbybit

Wed Dec 11 14:13:51 2013

Now with this appointment it should be clearly obvious the country is now being run by the Keystone Cops. Just when you thought things were bad enough..