Sun Dec 8 2013 21:15:40

eBay Cancels Seller's Item, but Won't Identify Which One

How helpful is THIS email? I have an item cancelled - but they are not going to tell me what it is. Nor can I find it anywhere in "My eBay". I have some 1,300 hundred products that are in the sold and unsold lists all the time - not one has a note by it for me to figure it out.
---

---

I am alternately wondering if eBay is run by 20-something MBAs with no experience and lots of ego - or if it is well-meaning, but clearly not top-of-the-class, kindergartners.

If you use this, please keep my name and ID out of it. I am convinced eBay employees retaliate. In fact, I have twice had, what I consider, direct evidence of that.
T.

eBay Cancels Seller's Item, but Won't Identify Whi   eBay Cancels Seller's Item, but Won't Identify Whi

This user has validated their user name. by: Anonymous Annie

Sun Dec 8 22:09:57 2013

That email was about as (un)helpful as the DOS error message:

ABORT, RETRY, FAIL?__

by: Truk This user has validated their user name.

Sun Dec 8 23:48:12 2013

Did this show up in ebay messages and your email

If it's just in your personal email it's probably a spoof email

by: Bloggo This user has validated their user name.

Sun Dec 8 23:50:10 2013

Name redacted. It does not look like a spoof email.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rocky

Mon Dec 9 00:05:16 2013

This happens to my listings often enough.  You can find them in the "Unsold" listings.
It's a bother, but fixable.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Mon Dec 9 02:35:21 2013

OMG they just make me shake my head in wonder sometimes.  Really how hard would it be to make that email more informative.

It's like when they decided [once again] to remove the buyer's address from the notification email we get when a sale is made.

Or when they redesigned the a listing presents to us as sellers [our own listings].  From our own listing, we use to be able to relist, sell similar and we could END a listing.  We can't do that anymore.  We must go elsewhere to do that and it takes a few clicks.  Not a lot of time, but a waste of time nonetheless.  It was so much easier when it was right there on the listing.

Or when they recently re-designed the View Order Details page.  Once you invoice, it is not so easy to re-invoice a buyer.  We must go a few extra clicks and odd places to be able to do that.  And if you need to add another item to that invoice, it is even more complicated.

And the list goes on.  The only purpose any of this serves is to make our jobs harder and more time consuming.  There is no logic in any of these changes.

As for the OP, yes they can go to their unsold items in the selling manager and identify the affected listings.  But why make the seller do that.  Just give them the darn numbers.  Just ridiculous.  They have no consideration for our time.  They just don't care.

by: charcorvet This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 9 08:16:08 2013

Go to your SUMMARY page for Selling Manager Or Selling Manager Pro-which ever you have and look at the area marked "Listing Recommendations". The link there for "UPDATE LISTINGS TO MEET OUR POLICY ON PHOTOS" has a link to all your non-conforming photos - they must be a minimum of 500 pixels on at least one side.

I'm sure if you look at that you'll find a few more that are going to go POOF and disappear.

But it's been there for at least 6 mos so obviously not enough notice for you.

NO I am not an ebay employee and I don't play one in a TV commercial. I had to fix my photos so I'm glad they are finally coming down on everyone else who didn't bother

This user has validated their user name. by: Anonymous Annie

Mon Dec 9 09:31:20 2013

UGH! Good grief! ~ Why do people take such a condescending know-it-all and judgmental tone? What purpose does it serve to write things like this:

--- ''Actually they do tell you what doesn't conform to their requirements and have been for several years now. YOU obviously ignored them. ... But it's been there for at least 6 mos so obviously not enough notice for you.''

... when they could write things like this instead?

--- ''This information is already available in the ''Selling Manager''. If you're not already using it, you may find it to be a helpful resource. Here's how to find it...''

by: Tiffee Jasso This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 9 11:45:05 2013

Thank you Annie.

by: Tim This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 9 13:39:08 2013

I am the one who sent Ina the email from eBay included in this article.  For the eBay apologists out there:
1) I called eBay and they ALSO could not figure out which listing it was.
2) It may very well have been on the list of items with a "bad" photo.  On the other hand, at least twice they sent me a list (just numbers, not tiles. eBay is always so helpful) that was not correct.
3) I thought I had caught all the "bad" photos. Why I had to stop everything else my business needed done to satisfy these MBA (no actual business experience) ideas is beyond me.  By the way, the majority of my photos were portrait and had a size of 300x497 pixels.  Yep, a "bad" photo. 301x500 and it is good all of a sudden.
4) They could have made a tool that would have resized the photos - especially for photos just a few pixels off.  They did not.  They simply do not care about sellers.
5) Plenty of big sellers are getting a pass on this, but the apologists above want me to take a hit... why?
6) But most importantly, see #1.  eBay could not figure it out either.  There was NO note by the ended listing.  Not about the photo size nor about it being ended by eBay.

I still have not relisted the product.  I don't have the time or the inclination.  It sells just fine on Amazon and my web site. For the lack of 3 pixels, eBay didn't want my product.  Fine.

Tim

by: wheredidebaygo This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 9 14:01:46 2013

I am not, nor will I ever be an apologist for eBay. But I ''get'' the photo size requirements. How many people over the years have viewed a listing with a postage stamp sized picture only to receive a piece of junk? Then were told by the seller the flaws were sooo obvious in the photo. That fooled me once, never again. As a seller and a buyer I applaud the change.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Mon Dec 9 15:13:23 2013

Thank you Annie X 2.

by: AgendaSwallowsAll This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 9 16:02:31 2013

I do know what to say re: the e-mail, why would one expect anything different from ebay at this point in time of its what the site would like to label ''evolution''.

What I don't and won't understand is we regularly did $25-$35k in sales monthly with pictures less than 500 pixels we'd painstakingly and out of what is now known to be a misplaced respect reduced in size as not to overload ebay's servers.

We do $7-8K now with larger pictures and have countless hundreds of items if not thousands we can't even list due to our pictures of those items on file aren't large enough and there's no time to take new ones at a rate of 15 plus minutes per item needed from unboxing the given item, taking the pictures, reboxing, downloading the images, setting off the listings, etc.

It's simply an excursion in to the deepest depths of ignorance created by a blind-sighted singularly self-serving agenda set in place by - -

It's simply an enigma

by: thebobman This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 9 16:53:20 2013

I just had an issue of "where did the link go" a buyer shipped something back to me a month and a half later (I had to reset a couple cordless headsets and send them back). and guess what, the "print a shipping label" link was gone. Apparently after 60 days you are not allowed to reship something to someone. And even if they are not totally gone, good luck tracking down a link for printing another label after a month goes by. You can't find it from the order details page, but have to wade though the my ebay page.

And whats with the useless order details page? Where is the link to paypal? Shipping label? Usefulness seems to be going right out the window.

This user has validated their user name. by: Captain Nemo

Mon Dec 9 19:28:31 2013

There was a tool that not only showed you every bad photo, but gave you the option to automatically resize it for you.  Here is the link, which is actually still functional -

>That
actual photo requirements were announced on 2/12, and the actual enforcement was not until 7/13.  This was one occasion where a lot of warning was given.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Mon Dec 9 21:33:57 2013

@charcorvet

"Actually they do tell you what doesn't conform to their requirements and have been for several years now. YOU obviously ignored them."  Well not that simply is not true all the time.  Last month they removed two of my listing for being in the wrong category.  Come to find out there was nothing wrong with the category they were posted in, they just PREFERRED them in a different category.  So why did the pull the listings, because they can.  I did not break ANY policy.

As for the "listing recommendations" on the selling manager.  If you or anyone is going to depend on those to tell you what is wrong with your listings, you are going to be disappointed.  Not only that, you are continually going to do work you don't have to do.  The darn thing is rarely correct.   Right now mine reads that I have just under 500 listings that do not have anything in the Item specific Boxes.  Last week it said about 800, the week before that it was at 700 and who knows what it will read next week.  Oh and by the way, ALL my listings have Item Specific boxes filled in.

Also without doing any changes whatsoever to my listings, suddenly today I have 4 that do not have item condition in them.  That too isn't true, but the summary sells me that.

So before passing judgement on others and recommending the use of something, possibly a little more research is needed.  Certainly the "recommendation summary" is right sometimes, but by no means is it correct even most of the time.

@Tim

Many of us got those emails that were less than correct.  We had much discussion about it here on this site.  So you are in good company.

As for the pixel size.  It just needs to be a min of 500 on the LONGEST side.  So a pic that is 301 x 500 may be fine as long as that 500 is the longest side of the photo.

OK I got a good giggle out of your #4 comment above.  While I certainly agree with you, some will remember they did a great job with the so call glitch that was auto REDUCING our photos for awhile.  Yep it was fun.  It happened to me twice, a couple months apart.  Many hours were lost correcting and recorrecting listings.  Oh so much FUN !!

I don't know that the big sellers are getting a pass on this.  Ebay isn't forcing the GTC listings to comply yet.  One day I am sure they will and they certainly want us to correct them but unless they changed something recently if the GTC was started BEFORE the requirement went into effect, it is exempt for now.  That would be why you are still seeing the small pics on the site.

This user has validated their user name. by: bitbybit

Mon Dec 9 23:05:59 2013

Thanks Annie
Seems like a couple posters on here have adopted the ebay condescending stick up their ... attitude.

by: Tim This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 9 23:54:37 2013

All,

I agree that we had plenty of notice on this. That is not my gripe. What we don't have is:
1) A level playing field.  Some sellers get to get away with the smaller pics.
2) A functioning seller facing eco-system. And that is the point of my original email to Ina.

They sent out lists of auctions (item numbers only, no titles - how helpful!) that were not accurate.  Then they end one that I missed but can't even tell me which one.

It is amateur hour at eBay... except these amateurs have MBAs and get to ruin micro-businesses for the heck of it - all because it sounds good to them when they talk to other MBAs at lunch.

Once again, I have not relisted the product.  According to the brain-trust at eBay, those 3 pixels would have stopped anyone from buying the product anyway.

And that is if they don't purge me.  I have 100% feedback and 5's across the board... but apparently that doesn't matter anymore.

Tim

by: Bloggo This user has validated their user name.

Tue Dec 10 00:03:37 2013

''Some sellers get to get away with the smaller pics.'' True, and many get away with a single generic photo for all their listings, or none at all.

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Tue Dec 10 01:15:22 2013

I see many items with poor pics;  or pics that are so small you cannot see the detail;  and many with "added text"  and even phone numbers.

Is this all "legal"?

Nope.

IS ebay watching ALL of this?

Surely NOT.

And I too have had several times where I have gotten the message that my items lacked
"specifics"---only to go and find that indeed all that APPLY are filled in correctly.    And to find that ebay is NOT going to tell ME what specifics they claim THEY want filled in other than the ones that actually--apply.

And many times when I am in the correct category etc I will get item specifics that have bizarre terms---Do PANTS commonly HAVE sleeves?

The other day I ran into one that was MISSING the "Material" spot--the place where you indicate WHAT the item was MADE from.  Pretty important to ME and my customers but--gone.  So there I am listing a pair of boots that IF I had not caught this and made my OWN "Item Specific"  --and even tho I DO put the material in the body of the listing---the buyer COULD have claimed that they THOUGHT they were getting--say---crocodile---when the item was made of pleather.  And guess just exactly WHO ebay would have sided with on the SNAD??????

For every item they "find"  missing 3 pixels--really???!!!!!!---they let slide basic programming and basic common sense in what needs to be where on the site for thousands of items.

INA what IS the email for Pierre anyways??????

by: Massachusets Howler This user has validated their user name.

Tue Dec 10 15:00:39 2013

typical.

Motley Fool is pumping again- I heard that Motley Fool participates in a HEDGE FUND where ebay is the primary stock!
Can you check this out for us Ina?
It sure would CLARIFY the pumping.
MH