Mon Dec 2 2013 19:40:59

eBay Boards in Turmoil, Morale Is Low, As Seller Purges Continue

By: Reader

Thank you for posting the article about Charlie - who was kicked off eBay for "Vero" and authenticity issues (we think).

There has been a tremendous amount of discussion regarding not only Charlie (who, happily has been reinstated) but other Powersellers are posting about their own suspensions.

There are two issues here that concern me as a Top-Rated Power Seller with over 14,000 feedbacks and DSRs of 5.0 in every category.

1. TOP Rated sellers are goings from TRS "best buyer ratings" to pond scum (indefinite suspension) with no stops in between. No warnings, no communication, nothing - just BAM - you're gone.

2. A common thread seems to be "too many cases opened" - even if 100% of the buyer initiated cases were resolved by the seller without eBay involvement - and it appears that they are counting cases opened by the SELLER for non-payment in this metric.

The unfortunate result is an increasing number of PS board posters have decided they will no longer open cases against buyers who do not pay. They will eat the fees paid to eBay rather than risk being kicked off because THEIR BUYERS DID NOT PAY.

In my 10 years as a Power Seller, I have never seen the boards in such turmoil, and the morale so low. eBay's much vaunted "Seller Protection" initiative seems to have a very dark side.....
Regards,
Leslie

eBay Boards in Turmoil, Morale Is Low, As Seller P   eBay Boards in Turmoil, Morale Is Low, As Seller P

This user has validated their user name. by: Puck

Mon Dec 2 20:10:06 2013

"They will eat the fees paid to eBay rather than risk being kicked off because THEIR BUYERS DID NOT PAY."

Which was likely the corporate playbook's game plan all along.

This user has validated their user name. by: NaruMessenger

Mon Dec 2 20:35:30 2013

The ship is sinking fast - maybe Captain Donahoe will go down with his ship!

This user has validated their user name. by: Anonymous Annie

Mon Dec 2 21:25:42 2013

Even as an ex-eBayer, I must admit that this is the most horrifying and maddening thing I've ever seen.

It's total insanity.

If I hadn't left eBay when I did, I'd be on pins-and-needles wondering when the hammer was going to fall on ME as well. (It was bad enough for me last year, just trying to keep ahead of the scammers and shoplifters on eBay... there's NO WAY I'd be able to cope with all of this!)

I remember what it was like when I'd check my email in the mornings... when I'd see new email messages, my first thought was ''oh God, what now?!'' instead of ''oh GOOD, another sale!''

Now... even the BEST rank-and-file sellers are having to wake up and check their email TO SEE IF THEY ARE EVEN ALLOWED TO SELL AT EBAY ANY MORE??!!

What madness!

Take my advice, people! Get out as soon as you can!

Start prepping for the day that YOU TOO will find out that you've been suspended without warning.

You don't have to leave eBay right now if you don't want to... but you really ought to have SOMETHING ready in the event that you end up having NO CHOICE in the matter.

eBay has turned into a cesspool of lies and contempt. Filled with risks and danger beyond measure.

Why would any rational person stay?

Some say that they stay because ''they're still making money''... okay, fine. But ask yourselves ''how much longer will it last?''

What will you do when your 250,000 ''free listings'' start to vanish before your very eyes? Who will you call? Where will you go?

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 2 23:50:54 2013

Why is a non-payment even considered a case.

eBay facilitated the sale, vetted the buyer by using its (read forcing its) Paypal system on everyone, sellers have been charged (even when the sale doesnt complete) ... so its eBays fault, not sellers who open unpaid cases.

Most of mine are of course ........ (and I hear RIC and MING in my head when I say this) ... GLOBAL SHIPPING.

See the dunces that created the system forgot one thing ..... people want to know the total BEFORE they comit to buy ... which doesnt seem to be the case.

My customers go all the way through the check out, THEN see the horribly high total - then bail.

They know that the unopaid strike means nothing - as eBay desperately needs buyers.

In fact its SO BAD, that eBay is actively financing their own daily deals out of pocket.

Id love to learn just how you get chosen. My source confirmed that he is supplying 2 of 0 daily deals, and that eBay is kicking back money on each one to drive traffic to said chosen sellers AND to get people to buy "something" from eBay.

Sad, Pathetic and probably 1/2 illegal - like everything they do.

eBay makes the mafia look like choir boys.

This user has validated their user name. by: TraderBoo

Mon Dec 2 23:51:51 2013

Sellers! we have the power to change things not just to complain. We needs to form a group of sellers association and fight back. We can Strike. We can use legal means, and we can use social media against ebay. We can tell the congress. there is a lot that we can do. So lets go and do it.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Mon Dec 2 23:56:43 2013

I only speak for myself, but I've seen NOTHING that suggests or proves that Ebay in ANY way is considering UIDs [unpaid item disputes] when considering whether or not to suspend a seller.

Certainly other posters have suggested it, but that doesn't make it so.

I know we bad around ideas and thoughts in an effort to try and make sense of things.  Trying to figure out why they are doing what they are doing.  But when we post things like this without any proof at all that it is true, you can literally cost people money.

If you or anyone has proof that Ebay is doing this, then post it.  Otherwise, clearly state it is just a thought you are having or a thought to consider or something other than making it appear it is a legitimate reason.

Personally I don't care what the PS board posters have decided.  Show me proof that this is happening.  Don't go out there with gossip that will literally cost people money.  You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but don't use scare tactics.  That is so unfair and completely irresponsible.  Before you cost others real money, make sure what you say is correct.

Certainly I could be wrong, all of this is after all just my opinion.  But if this is something so many feel is happening, what is the proof?

by: NetWatch This user has validated their user name.

Tue Dec 3 00:01:35 2013

I have to keep repeating this until it finally happens: 1) an investigative journalist like Michael Moore or John Stossel needs to take a cold hard look into ebay in a documentary AND 2) Federal regulatory agencies, FTC, SEC and perhaps even the Congress and Senate need to do serious investigation into ebay.

by: Gina This user has validated their user name.

Tue Dec 3 00:02:01 2013

...And the roll of the die reveals today's losing seller, out they go!...
Forming a union against eBay will do no good, they will just say, ''I told you that seller was up to no good!''

Someone suggested I take my products to ebay today.  I laughed in his face, saying that eBay is worse than EtsySUX!!

by: mbbn This user has validated their user name.

Tue Dec 3 00:09:37 2013

If there is a legal violation (which I think there absolutely is) on eBay's part, then action should be taken...
In theory.
Reality: eBay has the lawyers and $ to take care of this 18 fold.

In the meantime, I am back up and running since my 'shut down/hand slap' by eBay (for having 3 cases opened over a year-all 3 nonsense cases add to it 800+ and 99.5% positive feedback...).
My sales are better than ever and I need the income.  So, sadly, I will play the game.
It is just not worth my time or energy to fight eBay.  I have been down that road too many times-many a call to cust service, etc.  And the end conclusion is the same: they are in charge, not us and if you want to leave, go ahead.  But I choose to stay b/c the traffic/exposure is better than any self-run website could ever bring unless I worked alot and spent a ton more.
I hate the enemy, but I choose to stay.
Once you see the landscape and know the mines, it is not so bad and just a matter of acceptance.
The devil you know...;)

by: blaumann2 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Dec 3 00:09:46 2013

I am just amazed at how completely screwed up ebay is. Donahoe is an amazing guy.

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Tue Dec 3 00:25:22 2013

I agree with Marie, it's the case opened due to the dissatisfaction of a buyer that may be causing a problem for the seller, not the reverse ...

Regardless, that does not make it any easier for sellers to bear the unconscionable treatment of them that eBay (or more likely, HAL) is now dishing out ...

by: FurryFriend702 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Dec 3 01:06:19 2013

The problem with Ebay is that they are competing hard with Amazon. On Amazon, this kind of summarily suspension is just business as usual. Ebay is not taking chances with Vero claims or bad performance. Like Amazon, they want to shoot first and ask questions later knowing that sellers are a dime a dozen.

Unfortuantely for Ebay, third party sales are their only business (unlike Amazon which has other revenue streams). So Ebay is cutting off their nose to spite their face.

If Ebay wants entrepreneurs to be serious about starting an Ebay business, it needs to give the impression of stability and transparency. Right now, Ebay is doing a piss poor job. Ironically, in trying to be Amazon, they're sending sellers to Amazon and other venues.

This user has validated their user name. by: TraderBoo

Tue Dec 3 01:06:34 2013

The only way to have ebay listen to us is by fighting back. No one will ever be safe until we get some sort of protection to do fair business on ebay.

social media already changed Many big companies policies when they discovered that public opinion are against them.

It's a possible goal to achieve.

This user has validated their user name. by: Map

Tue Dec 3 01:16:12 2013

There will be no Federal Investigation of ebay until after 2017.

JD's old lady works for Obama.

This user has validated their user name. by: TraderBoo

Tue Dec 3 01:28:37 2013

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.

Bob Marley

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Tue Dec 3 01:31:36 2013

The real scary thing of course is--no one knows WHO is next for the ax.  At least Henry the 8th  or Attilla the Hun let you KNOW the ax was coming!

There does seem to be some very odd notion going around that there have been many many sellers "purged"  but with a few exceptions--the "Charlie"  case for example---we have heard very little FACT and PROOF of this.

Now--not sayin' it ain't so--  just would very much like to hear this from someone other than the Charlie Defense Team.

I would think that there would have been a huge outcry and lots of people calling news outlets and their Representatives and coming here.  Now I don't hang out on the "Seller Boards"  and am no longer a Power Seller--hardly a seller at all since I think ALL of my items are being hidden----

But--crickets.

So I have a hard time wrapping my head around ALL of these people being SILENT.

This user has validated their user name. by: Tula

Tue Dec 3 04:54:48 2013

I'm with comet and Marie. Yes, it's entirely possible that ebay is counting UIDs and unfairly purging loads of sellers, but I'd rather see something besides hearsay before taking any action. I'm already diversified because it's just unwise to keep all your eggs in one basket, but I'd really rather see evidence of foul play before doing anything. I'm no ebay cheerleader by any stretch, but I'm also not paranoid about everything they do. I'm not saying they aren't out to get us, but I'll reserve judgement until I see proof.

by: cdunn142 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Dec 3 05:24:21 2013

Simple ebay are taking the mickey once again and playing god I sell on ebid its a great site and a lot less on fees i do quite well and do not sell on eBay anymore as the fees are a Joke the rules are a Joke open a account on ebid and sell over both sites you could give a discount on the items if bought off ebid my fees on ebid were a massive 0.98p compared to over £200 do it join today at http://uk.ebid.net/buddy/412775 ebid now thats better

by: KathleenJohnson This user has validated their user name.

Tue Dec 3 08:16:23 2013

1. eBay's unwillingness to communicate with its Sellers is an interesting oxymoron considering it "requires" us to communicate with our Buyers. Again, its a "Do as I say" and not "Do as I do" policy.

2. On Etsy, I had named a birdhouse "Margaritaville", not thinking for one minute I was competing with the Margaritaville Casino - but, apparently, the Casino took offense at this one of a kind birdhouse and asked for the listing to be taken down. Which they did, but, at least, Etsy wrote to me and explained the issue.

So, I renamed the birdhouse "Margarita", after my daughter, re listed it, and sold it.  (Margaritaville was copyrighted, not "Margarita")

I was not upset about the listing been taken down. I was amused that Margaritaville Casino was so threatened by one lil olde one of a kind hand made bird house, and was impressed with the way Etsy handled the issue.

In this case, eBay could learn a lot from Etsy - communication is key to business and it is the "one" and largest shortfall of eBay. Always has been. Yet, Sellers still continue to do business there.

So who is to blame here?

------------------------

by: Willie This user has validated their user name.

Tue Dec 3 10:06:38 2013

Sorry all but this is NOT anything new. The boards have been in turmoil for many years.  Sellers have been kicked off for many years. Ebay has been greedy for many years.  Why stay? There are other sites.  Moved to etsy to sell my vintage items & have been very very pleased.

1 2 3  [Next Page]