Sat Nov 30 2013 15:57:02

Problems with eBay Attribute Fields when Relisting

By: Reader

I am doing some re-listing today. Some of the items I am working with are Christmas greeting cards. As I am re-listing them, eBay is flagging some for being in the wrong category.

Currently I have them in the "Home & Garden > Greeting Cards & Party Supply > Greeting Cards & Invitations" category. These are reproduction greeting cards made from vintage postcards and other ephemera. But they are brand new cards.

Where else should I place these things? eBay doesn't even provide a recommendation for where to put them (unless I use the Search option.) For me, "Greeting Cards & Invitations" is where I want them. What's wrong with that category?

This is a perfect example of how we are made to spend our time redoing item specifics that simply don't need to be redone! Why is eBay doing this?

Please don't sign my name as I don't want to be identified (and punished.)
Thanks,
A Concerned Seller

Problems with eBay Attribute Fields when Relisting   Problems with eBay Attribute Fields when Relisting

This user has validated their user name. by: bitbybit

Sat Nov 30 19:40:20 2013

Item specifics is so messed up. I really think ebay is purposely doing this to get small sellers so frustrated with this time consuming task so they leave ebay as a venue. Either that or total incompetence on their part with low wage programmers.

Ebay flagged a candle holder I had listed in Home & Gardens. Checking my active listing, the category was switched to computers! Ebay did this twice to this listing even though I verified when I listed it the category WAS in Home & Gardens. No I did NOT make a mistake and I am NOT losing it. How could this happen? Are ebay bots driving listings to the electronic categories? Is this why listings are invisible?

Another issue with listings is ebay's recommendations where I have to spend time changing the item specifics that have nothing to do with what I have listed or is repetitive. For example a pin in costume vintage jewelry asking for metal, metal purity, material. How many ways can I describe goldtone or silvertone? If I don't do each and every one recommended, ebay flags it and states it will have decreased exposure. Ebay makes no difference between required and recommended specifics. Is ebay pulling this heavy handed, time consuming task mostly on used and auction sellers?

OP I am glad you wrote about this issue. What a coincidence your issue is also with the Home & Garden category. Ebay didn't show a recommendation for me either but check and see if ebay put your greeting cards in the computers category too. I hope it is not a hacker.

This user has validated their user name. by: Anonymous Annie

Sat Nov 30 23:24:17 2013

Back when I was still on eBay, this type of problem was something that made me realize how painfully tedious and repetitive it was to create listings on eBay.

I had to stop and think... and ask myself: ''How much time am I willing to spend (and re-spend) on a listing so that I can make an ever-decreasing profit?''

I think that's a mistake that many self-employed, home-based, rank-and-file sellers make. They think their time is ''free'' and (like me) many are willing to invest as much time as it takes to come up with the perfect listing... just to make a $2 profit.

And it's not as if you can spend an extraordinary amount of time creating the ''perfect listing'' that you can re-use and re-list for weeks and months. Why? Because as often as eBay changes, today's listing will be obsolete and incompatible with tomorrow's new standards and requirements.

Then what? Back to square-one?

No thank you! Not for me!

Is eBay *intentionally* trying to make it difficult for sole-proprietor sellers? OR... are the execs and programmers so completely out of touch with the reality of what it's like to be a seller, that their policy changes (and programming changes) make it APPEAR as though it's being done out of spite and vindictiveness.

Whatever the reason... whether it's malice or disregard... it certainly doesn't speak very well of eBay execs, staff, program managers and programmers.

by: Donkey This user has validated their user name.

Sun Dec 1 09:35:54 2013

Better take ''reproduction'' out of your listings or ebay will ban you for selling fake items.  ''VERO'' violation.

This user has validated their user name. by: Anonymous Annie

Sun Dec 1 09:51:47 2013

But if you don't include the word ''reproduction'' then the listing can be taken down due to someone complaining that it's counterfeit and being ''passed-off as an original''

-----

Which reminds me of this... http://preview.tinyurl.com/pyur57l

by: NetWatch This user has validated their user name.

Sun Dec 1 11:03:49 2013

The ebay site is rife with a number of technical glitches that pop up when and where one least expects them.

by: RCL This user has validated their user name.

Sun Dec 1 11:12:36 2013

I think you are in the right category. Don't forget that eBay is buggier than a rainforest. You say only ''some'' cause the error message. It probably IS some term in your title. For instance, I couldn't list ''rhodium-plated 14 kt white gold'' because their bots would not allow ''rhodium-plated'' in fine jewelry. Go figure :) They thought rhodium plate was a cheap rip-off apparently. Don't despair--it's just a word game. You're in the right category.

This user has validated their user name. by: bitbybit

Sun Dec 1 13:58:33 2013

But how do you explain ebay actually switching my item to the computer category. They switched it and then recommended it be switched to another category. There was nothing in my title even close to something in electronics. It was a new candlestick. This happened twice and I switched it back to the same category in Home & Garden as I originally listed it. I DID NOT make a mistake in accidentally putting it in the computer accessories category. The reason I am concerned is ebay manipulation of listings and how many sellers are unaware their items may be placed in the wrong category by a glitch or hacker in their system.

Now with the OP having an issue in Home & Gardens too, I am thinking she used the word ''Vintage'' in the title and the bots flagged this word even though this is the correct category. Ebay obviously only wants new items in Home & Garden.

This user has validated their user name. by: Captain Nemo

Sun Dec 1 20:10:23 2013

There's actually a couple of other categories.  There is the ''vintage'', but also a card category under ''Crafts'', if she is making them herself (crafts>handcrafted>greeting cards and tags>greeting cards)

But I agree with the other poster, it's probably an issue with using the word ''vintage'' in the title.  That's a ''hot'' keyword ebay probably wants reserved for vintage only.

by: OldCrabapple This user has validated their user name.

Sun Dec 1 23:31:19 2013

After a two month hiatus I listed 31 items today and what an ordeal! It was like tripping through a minefield laden with deliberately set booby traps and technical glitches. Among other things I found ebay had set ''free'' priority shipping as my default shipping policy when it was always my practice to use free first class. And I encountered the same problem bitbybit mentioned, when listing vintage costume jewelry the metal is usually not known and the metal purity is irrelevant. So I now have 13 items flagged for missing required/recommended item specifics.

by: Bloggo This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 2 00:02:19 2013

Move along people, nothing to see here.

''Problems with eBay Attribute Fields when Relisting''
''eBay Seller Losing Customers over Immediate Pay Requirement''
''eBay Suspends Eyewear Seller, Reason Not Clear''
''eBay Seller Hits Trifecta of Bad Buyers''
''eBay Promise of Holiday Shipping Discount Falls Flat for Many''
''eBay Roadblocks When Buying Multiple Items''
''Epic Fail in eBay Image Detection Program''

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Mon Dec 2 02:16:21 2013

Captain suggested the category I was going to suggest.  I know if I were shopping by category for these types of cards, probably the last place I'd look is in Home and Garden and the first place in crafts.

And if you are actually creating these reproductions, proudly state that.  Get the word 'repreduction' out of there and replace it with hand made or something.

Replace 'vintage' with vintage look or something similar.  There are ways to word things to get the point across yet being a bit more accurate in what you are really selling.

First think of it as accurately describing what you are actually selling.  Once you have that down, then look at what you wrote and see where you can use good keywords.  Nothing misleading in any way.  Just an accurate depiction of what it is you are selling.

by: AuntyQ This user has validated their user name.

Mon Dec 2 08:34:40 2013

I would put them in:

Collectibles > Holidays > Current > Cards

I don't think Christmas card shoppers will be looking in the home and garden category.

This user has validated their user name. by: Tula

Tue Dec 3 05:00:24 2013

Ebay has issues with attributes. I had a couple of items flagged as being in the wrong category and was given a recommended category. The item could have fit either category equally, so I went with the ebay recommendation. The next day it was flagged again and the recommendation was the original category I put it in to begin with. IN another case, I have 2 items that keep getting flagged for missing attributes, but no matter how many times I fill them in, both online and via TurboLister, they just don't seem to "take." Once I'm not so busy, I'll build entirely new listings to see if that fixes it. It's really annoying that these glitches keep happening, especially when they can affect our item visibility.

by: Denise This user has validated their user name.

Tue Dec 3 06:15:50 2013

Be very careful when changing categories based on ebay recommendations.  I ended up getting charged for "options" that were auto-checked because they were free in the original category-and considered an upgrade in the suggested category.