Sat Nov 23 2013 23:39:37

Amazon Requirement for Authenticated Collectibles a Deal Breaker

By: Reader

Re: Amazon VP Discusses Collectibles, Clothing and Other Popular Categories (Link)

So AMAZON wants to expand its collectible market. GREAT!! The VP says they want stuff that has a third party guarantee of authenticity.

I have been selling collectible merchandise since 1983. I sell paper items. I sell nothing where there is 3rd party grading available.

Oh silly me, no Amazon selling for me.....
Sign me,
Blaumann

Amazon Requirement for Authenticated Collectibles   Amazon Requirement for Authenticated Collectibles

This user has validated their user name. by: bitbybit

Sun Nov 24 01:31:42 2013

Maybe now I can get rid of all these beanie babies on Amazon! haha

This user has validated their user name. by: Bill

Sun Nov 24 02:03:29 2013

Amazon does not realize that collectables that do not have any way to get authorization from a third party is still well over 2/3rds of the collectables market. They still have there heads up there rear which is why I have not sold anything on there since '02. Until they realize that they will never be a collectables market period.
The other thing is that since the early '80's when most of the 3rd party graders started the grading has gone down as far as I am concerned.
I was in the coin business then and we used to break out  slabbed coins and send them back to get a higher grade all of the time. Anything that is graded by PCG and NGC are over graded as to what we graded them in the '60's and '70's. I see those grade coins all of the time and I tell the seller that the grade is BS and I will buy it for a grade or 2 lower then it actually is listed at. Sometimes they sell and sometimes they will not but but I will not over pay for some BS grade that those California idiots think it is. To me who has been in the business for over 40 years certification means nothing!

Bill

by: Bloggo This user has validated their user name.

Sun Nov 24 03:01:26 2013

''third party guarantee of authenticity.'' There's plenty of fraud in the certification business.

by: RCL This user has validated their user name.

Sun Nov 24 09:12:44 2013

I have NEVER bought an item in a single antique store that offered 3rd party certification of anything. And I buy pretty expensive stuff! Amazon is really just saying they don't want antiques and collectibles--jewelry or other. There is NO ONE stupid at Amazon.

by: RCL This user has validated their user name.

Sun Nov 24 09:15:22 2013

Practically, the best certification is to allow returns. That way, the buyer can foot the bill of appraisal if he or she doubts your merchandise, and you can always refund on return. Third party certification would be FRAUD CENTRAL. I had such high hopes for Amazon. :(

This user has validated their user name. by: Captain Nemo

Sun Nov 24 13:49:52 2013

You know that if they do this they are gonna really ''sell it''.

They will try to make themselves look like the only ''safe'' place to buy ''authenticated'' collectibles.  Thereby implying that it is unsafe to buy anywhere else, and non-certified collectibles are questionable and of less value.

This message will be pushed on the website - where more people shop than anywhere else in the world.

Remember, Bezos is a game-changer.  Don't underestimate what he can and will do.  Rest assured the he can, in fact, wreak much havoc on the collectibles market, as he has already done with traditional retail.

When Bezos first went after the book market, retailers like Barnes and Nobles and Booksamillion literally laughed at what Amazon was trying to do.  Then they tried to do it themselves.  Amazon won.

by: teddychan This user has validated their user name.

Sun Nov 24 23:44:12 2013

There are several third party autograph authenticators, and even the most respected (PSA/DNA) has made countless documented and embarrassing errors. The others are even worse. Amazon has been flooded with fake autographs for years, was notified about the problem many times and took no action. They still has no clue what it's doing in this arena.

This user has validated their user name. by: bitbybit

Mon Nov 25 00:53:56 2013

It seems authenticators need to be authenticated. Ever notice church flea markets and estate sales have antique (authenticators) come in and appraise items? Wonder why the items are priced outrageously high? A great, overpriced item doesn't sell and low and behold the appraiser or dealer obtains those items for a steal. Okay this isn't the same thing but coins, stamps and such seem to become devalued over the years IMO. I'm sorry but I would need to know the credentials of these authenticators. I agree Amazon really doesn't want collectibles and antiques. Most don't need an authenticator.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Mon Nov 25 07:26:14 2013

RCL says: "Practically, the best certification is to allow returns."

RCL, so what would a seller do when a buyer swaps out the authentic item that they were shipped for a fake item, and then send it back to the seller as a return?

by: FREDDY This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 25 09:09:02 2013

Amazon doesn't want to be in the collectibles market. It was however, great free publicity and probably made JD have 2 or possibly 3 ''thinking'' days in a row. (Thats' where he disappears because he has no clue on wht to say or do - just waiting for one of his air heads to come up with something.)
Amazon staff, including Jeff probably had a nice chuckle over this. Free publicity and watching a few others get all nervous and jumpy.  :-)
Accepting returns on a collectible is just a disaster  waiting to happen. The return rate would be around 90%. Why would they want anything that would tarnish their image? I doubt they are as desperate for FVF as ebay.

by: a_c_green This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 25 10:44:02 2013

Maybe it's just me, but I have no interest in ''collecting'' something that I can't authenticate via my own knowledge, and can't sell without the say-so of some third party that requires me to pay them for it.

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 25 10:51:42 2013

When even the best in the world--such as art examiners of Old Masters let's say---can be FOOLED and can get it WRONG---would you take the word--as a buyer OR seller---of Joe Blow Authentication Services Inc?

And Amazon shouldn't force us to either.

It's always Buyer Beware if you are shopping on line or in your friendly neighborhood antiques shoppe--and I have seen some amazing things pulled off there and in the jewelery world.

Not everyone can be an expert but you have to have some common sense on these things.

IF Bezos was SMART he would have a two tier system---the COA stuff and the regular common garden variety stuff that doesn't NEED authentification.

There.  I fixed it.

by: RCL This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 25 10:53:18 2013

Rexford: that kind of switcheroo isn't very likely to happen with my stock as items tend to be fairly unique (and very well photographed/documented/distinguished). But someone did try it once! It was creepy, but my piece had been marked, and the replacement was NOT marked. eBay backed me up. If I were selling diamonds, I'd be scared.

by: JLynnPro This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 25 14:31:00 2013

I don't like Amazon any more than I like eBay.  This rule is beyond ridiculous.  I KNOW what I sell is authentic, because I know where most of the items came from.

by: doboy This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 25 15:44:37 2013

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't everything a collectible or potential collectible?  If I want to collect dog teeth, how do I certify it to sell or swap?

This user has validated their user name. by: Ric

Mon Nov 25 21:26:34 2013

So would anyone be surprised if Amazon were to create their own authentication service?

Imagine the fees they could charge for the service while requiring that every item to be listed is authenticated by them prior to listing!! It would be a money grab worthy of John Donahoe, currently the president of the fleece sellers club.

This user has validated their user name. by: bitbybit

Tue Nov 26 01:28:14 2013

@doboy
If I want to collect dog teeth, how do I certify it to sell or swap?

You need to submit your dog's dental records. lol

by: Cyclestripper This user has validated their user name.

Sat Nov 30 12:55:53 2013

I asked a question a few days ago: Is peer to peer selling on the internet dead?

This move by Amazon is an expression of distrust in people who sell collectibles. Ebay has propagated that distrust. ETSY now following the Ebay pattern of encouraging distrust in the peer to peer marketplace.

It's how mainstream retail wins. Color the individual seller as a liar and a crook.

For that reason I again ask: Is peer to peer selling on the internet dead?

Mike

by: FREDDY This user has validated their user name.

Sun Dec 1 08:29:21 2013

''For that reason I again ask: Is peer to peer selling on the internet dead?''
YEP..............
All of the main sites are guilty of telling buyers - only shop from large retail or Chinese sellers.