Thu Nov 7 2013 11:03:09

Where Are the Purged eBay Sellers Going?

By: Reader

This purging of eBay sellers might have a positive effect for online sellers who, for years, have searched for an online auction that could come anywhere CLOSE to matching eBay's market reach. As a buyer, I have found eBay's listings to be much more limited than in the past ... the purging of sellers is probably the reason!

Where are all those sellers going? Is another auction site stepping up to welcome them?

I was a Power Seller for five years on eBay, but gave up on eBay about six years ago when eBay starting changing their feedback and contact functions. I'd LOVE to find another venue that welcomes former eBay small sellers.

Could you, perhaps, conduct a survey to find out where former eBay sellers are going and if they are finding success elsewhere?
Nancy

Where Are the Purged eBay Sellers Going?   Where Are the Purged eBay Sellers Going?

by: HarmonyGroveAntiques This user has validated their user name.

Thu Nov 7 12:24:35 2013

We have not been purged from Ebay (yet) but we have been very happy with our sales on Etsy.

We sell vintage and antique furniture and last week our Etsy sales literally Blew Away our Ebay sales!

by: RCL This user has validated their user name.

Thu Nov 7 13:11:12 2013

I have migrated half my vintage/antiques inventory to Etsy and am planning to keep eBay but with far fewer listings (200). Now that I know they have to be FRESH every month, so I have ended ALL Good-til-cancelled items there. It is going to change the entire way I work (again) but the good news is Etsy is hopping. Not so much back in 2009, but I'm very glad to be back. This may be completely coincidental, the day I began relisting FRESH-old items at eBay, I started selling again. I don't like to think about it.

by: Massachusets Howler This user has validated their user name.

Thu Nov 7 13:25:39 2013

Good RCL.
MH

by: NetWatch This user has validated their user name.

Thu Nov 7 13:40:26 2013

Ebid and Bonanza are two sites to which I recently moved items from ebay and so far I have been having success selling on Bonanza.

by: StickAForkInIT This user has validated their user name.

Thu Nov 7 13:53:21 2013

For those of you who are going to Etsy, be aware that back in August they started a change over to using a Feedback system with DSR's and that looks a lot like eBay's when the DSR's were first introduced.  Where this will go is anybody's guess, but people who've sold on eBay won't have to think very hard to imagine where it COULD go.

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Thu Nov 7 15:13:35 2013

"This may be completely coincidental, the day I began relisting FRESH-old items at eBay, I started selling again. I don't like to think about it."—RCL

And that's about it in a nutshell; even in their most devious attempts at manipulation of search, I suspect that eBay has little idea of what they are doing or what the result will be; there appears to be simply no logic to practically anything eBay does nowadays: if the spaghetti sticks …

eBay / PayPal / Donahoe: Dead Men Walking ... http://bit.ly/11F2eas

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Thu Nov 7 16:20:59 2013

@stick
And let us not forget that sellers now can not leave FB for buyers at all on Etsy.

I've tried Webstore, but had no success there at all.  Some of my stuff qualify for Etsy, so I sell some there, but most of the things I sell can't be sold on that site.  I have not yet found a viable alternative.

by: Bloggo This user has validated their user name.

Thu Nov 7 17:10:21 2013

I moved some of my inventory over to Etsy about a month ago. While I understand that Etsy too, has it's downside, compared eBay it's a Paradise.

by: AgendaSwallowsAll This user has validated their user name.

Thu Nov 7 18:29:39 2013

We thought Webstore was going to be the next big thing. No fees, feedback for buyer & seller alike, no DSR's, fairly easy to list with nice nice appearing pages, etc.

Maybe Webstore was-is the next best thing for some, we don't know and maybe if so it's due to marketing done by those sellers, it's possible we mistakenly believed in the power of a web search for our store name we've had for 17 years would be enough. Now we do a search of our store name and although all other sites we sell on come up, Webstore does not.

Not knocking Webstore, intellectually we feel still should have been the next big thing but as is the case with so much else, especially in this day & age, not all goes the way of conventional intellect.

by: NetWatch This user has validated their user name.

Thu Nov 7 20:32:36 2013

Anyobody know what Zibbet is?  I keep hearing that many ebay sellers migrated there.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Nov 7 22:29:29 2013

If you are a "full time" seller

1) Amazon
2) Etsy
3) Sears
4) Buy.com
5) Craigslist

If you are a part time seller

1) Craigslist
2) Classifieds
3) Local TV Shopper Mags
4) You give up and make a garage sale
5) Put the junk onthe curb / Donate it to Goodwill

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Nov 7 22:32:21 2013

oops left one out

If you are a "full time" seller

6) your own website

This user has validated their user name. by: Basset

Fri Nov 8 06:16:57 2013

That is a great question, not only for sellers but for buyers trying to find what they are looking for.

As searches on eBay (I am usually looking for OOAK or pre-owned) have less and less results, I usually try Amazon, eCrater, & Bonanza. So often, the last two only turns up 1 item or none at all.

Amazon tries to steer you to new & full price or what their software thinks is a similar item.  Google searches many times turn up items that are no longer available, at least on their first pages - and I don't move much beyond the first page. If people have what I want on their own sites, I'm not finding them.

So - are the items on eBay and just invisible, or is there a big garage sale going on somewhere that I don't know about? This affects buyers as much as sellers.

by: quirkyantiques This user has validated their user name.

Fri Nov 8 10:50:31 2013

I moved over to a fixed price format on RUBY LANE about 5 years ago. I can still sell on Ebay but I choose not to. My sales are fantastic and my customers are a joy. I'm so glad that the writing was on the Ebay wall already all those years ago. If not, I would never have looked into aother venue-which has changed the course of my business for the better.

by: Patricia This user has validated their user name.

Fri Nov 8 11:25:13 2013

I'm trying Zibbet...just opened a store there.  I'm on Etsy but seem to be as invisible there as I am on Ebay.  I sold only two pieces on Webstore in the past couple of years!  Bonanzle is dead for me.  My own website does better then these sites combined!

by: Mr. Me This user has validated their user name.

Fri Nov 8 13:11:41 2013

I have had limited luck on ecrater , etsy, and craigslist.
etsy has a lot of shortcomings for sellers of vintage items , such as lack of a smooth "make offer" system, calculated shipping, and limited catagories ... craigslist also has its share of scammers, folks who make ridiculous low offers without seeing item, or "bot" emails fishing for info.
I am still waiting for a legit hands off auction site who advertises to get traffic (sorry ebid you missed the boat

by: sasikat9 This user has validated their user name.

Fri Nov 8 13:23:14 2013

I know of one who has a new IP address and new credit card that just opened a store on Ebay again.

by: alfabarn This user has validated their user name.

Fri Nov 8 13:54:18 2013

Ebay has not yet closed my sellers account. But I removed all my listings and jumped into the deep end and opened my own website or store. I can tread water until the buyers find me. But opening a store might not be an option for some purged sellers. I do think that had Ebay ever been honest about the future Ebay they had in mind, that it would not include the small seller format it at one time was based on. And that Ebay expected those sellers would find homes on specialty sites then perhaps those specialty sites would already exist. But at this time there is a demand and no product to meet that demand. How many small sellers can tread water until those sales venues are created?

by: booklover27 This user has validated their user name.

Fri Nov 8 14:20:02 2013

The caste system continues at Ebay.  Sellers are at he bottom of the rung.  I can tell you that I left for six years and it didn't make much of a difference.  People use Google to find products at the right price so if you're somewhere else they'll find you if you have the right product at the right price.

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Fri Nov 8 18:28:48 2013

More importantly, where are the eBay directors going? eBay director Axelrod has just disposed of 400,000 bonus shares, bought for $35, sold for $53 for a quick profit of $7,200,000; and another 51,253 shares at the same sale price for an additional $2,716,000.

Notice how none of these insiders are leaving their assets “on deposit” with eBay; obviously, they consider the risk too great. Undoubtedly, all these rats are well preparing their lifeboats in anticipation of the Ho’s upcoming “Concordia” experience, that surely has to be now close ahead …

eBay / PayPal / Donahoe: Dead Men Walking ...

1 2 3  [Next Page]