Wed Nov 6 2013 12:17:24

eBay Overcharges for International Shipping

By: Reader

eBay appears to be overcharging on international shipping and it has been getting worse. I do NOT participate in the global shipping program.

Example: Today I am shipping a 1lb 9oz package to the UK. eBay collected $22.75 in shipping from the buyer but when I printed the label, actual shipping was $11.66. Of course, I will refund the buyer the excess but being overcharged for shipping surely discourages international business.

The buyer selected First Class International shipping. I do get a Top Rated Seller shipping discount but I elected to share my discount with buyers.

This didn't happen earlier in the year. The problem has become consistent and I am regularly refunded almost 50% of the eBay shipping charges.

Something is wrong. No, I did not report this to eBay. What's the point?
Mike

eBay Overcharges for International Shipping   eBay Overcharges for International Shipping

by: joeblow This user has validated their user name.

Wed Nov 6 13:32:11 2013

You can change this in: site preferences>Shipping preferences >Offering carrier-specific discounts to buyers
Just specify whatever percentage discount you're getting from usps through ebay to charge actual ship cost.

by: Scotty This user has validated their user name.

Wed Nov 6 13:51:33 2013

Two comments:
Yes, you can specify the discount in preferences as mentioned (I get a 20% discount from Endicia and pass it on directly to the customer via this method)....PROBLEM IS THOUGH....in the summary view for items (in ebay uk and other international sites), it shows the price reflected as the pre-discount price....you have to actually go into the individual listing to see the correct shipping price with the discount.  No doubt this discourages intn'l sales as many buyers just skim the summary view in which they see the un-discounted price.  I actually reported this to ebay over 1 year ago....no doubt they are getting right on fixing it.
2nd comment....to the OP, are you saying to ship a 1 lb, 9 oz FCMI package from the USA to the UK cost $11.66 via ebay postage?  If so, I will have to have a look at this as my price for this same rate and weight via Endicia is $20.07 which includes the discount mentioned above...if true, that is a serious savings I will have to look at implementing.

This user has validated their user name. by: Tula

Wed Nov 6 17:41:25 2013

I agree with Scotty. $11.66 for a 1 lb. 9 oz. package is a steal. My last package to the UK cost $8.88 for a 4 oz. package. If eBay can get that kind of pricing, I may have to start using them. Something seems a little hinky about this, though.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Wed Nov 6 21:32:55 2013

According to the USPS website.  An almost 2 lb package to the UK shipping FIRST CLASS as your buyer requested is $20.07 for online postage and $22.30 if you take it into the post office.

The only way you are going to ship something to the UK First Class for $11.66 is if it weight around 8 maybe 9 ounces.  That would be a full pound off.

This user has validated their user name. by: Bill

Thu Nov 7 00:06:24 2013

This guy obviously does not know what he is doing or he is trying to create a problem on here and is a troll.

Ina you need to check the letters more before you post them.

Bill

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Thu Nov 7 00:31:45 2013

I am wondering IF ebay is charging the price for a REGISTERED piece of mail---this is the ONLY "legit"  and acceptable way for a seller to send something overseas and still get "Delivery Confirmation"----altho NONE of the Registered items I have sent track BEYOND  the JFK processing center!

The difference here in price is very close to the actual "Mail postage cost"  and the ADDED "Registered cost" so it makes me wonder.

I regularly sell a 6 Oz packed weight item overseas and the REGISTERED cost to me is $28.00 USD---$13.95 to buy the POSTAGE and $13.95 for the REGISTRATION.  To send this SAME item packed exactly the SAME way to Japan  (First Class Package) just this week cost $9.45 and often costs about $6 for European countries.

Many buyers seem unable to READ the notice I have posted on my items listing page about this BUT the ones that DO tend to find that I can save them a considerable amount it they are willing to take the sale OFF OF EBAY.

And no I personally have had ZERO problems with mail getting delivered this way---with the exception of one Sri Lankan scammer that is--and I am SURE he got the item.

I also wonder--WHY ebay is so insistent on a method of delivery that even tho it costs a LOT more---STILL cannot be tracked? And if the buyer claims the item did NOT show up----the seller is STILL screwed?

Just sayin'

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Thu Nov 7 02:16:55 2013

@comet

With respect, I think you are incorrect on some of the prices you stated above. You can't ship a 6 oz First Class Package to the UK for $6.

Commercial Rate, which is the rate Ebay offers to All sellers, 6 0z FCP is 11.48.

Now Ebay is running a special promotion until the end of the year and giving most sellers the rate they give to Silver and above Power sellers, which is Commercial Plus or it's called something like that and you will save a few more cents, which is always welcome.

Don't take the OP's post to heart.  It doesn't appear to be correct.

Ebay isn't "insistent" on the method of shipment.  Sellers still decide who their carrier and type of shipment.  Ebay recommends tracking and it is just a good business practice to have.  But they do not insist.

by: expertbenefits This user has validated their user name.

Thu Nov 7 03:32:05 2013

eBay has Commercial Plus on USPS I did not know it was only for top rated. In the US for express mail flat which you can use a padded express mail envelope which actually fit a large priority box in it  for 12.44 right now anywhere in the US.In 2005 or 2006 express mail rates were 14.99. It's a great rate & that is one of the better things I have seen.  I have not had many international sales lately. Before the Christmas promotion it was 12.88 commercial is 18.95 for flat padded which is the same as flat rate envelope. You have to order the flat rate padded online. If you don't and go into the post office, you end up paying 39.95 for a tyvek envelope since not much fits into the flat rate envelope. I believe for the flat express padded the best deal compared to the tyvek.  On international & delivery eBay rep said  that although paypal requires a signature for all items over $250 ebay itself was accepting delivery confirmation up to $750 & at one time there was a link mentioning this that Priority Mail International now had delivery confirmation. This still would leave a seller open to paypal claims but of course the rep said he didn't know anything about that. With Global Shipping they charge whatever you charge the buyer but you have to get it to them in Kentucky. I used it a few times but they disallowed my cheap items and allowed an expensive item that was not in the contract. I called & they said they would cover it verbally but it made me nervous so I dropped it. At one time they had said that it would help prevent negative feedback but I have not followed it since with the new taxes on my products customs wise, international sales are dead since March. They have a relative buy it here and take it that is how the international jewelry sales are going now. I did have one to Indonesia that went very well last month. Canada was great when oil prices were higher around the same time that has ended. It was a bright spot for a few years. Let's hope the USA doesn't have too many more events since it was doing okay...come on eBay, let's have a great Christmas.

by: Cyclestripper This user has validated their user name.

Thu Nov 7 10:48:31 2013

Sorry, NOT a troll.

I reported PRECISELY what happened.

Either is ebay is charging too little to me for shipping or the buyer too much. There is no other option.

I realize that USPS rates are what the buyer is being quoted.

So, is ebay UNDER charging for postage? I have not received any returns or compliants.

There IS something wrong here but it's not with my reporting the situation.

by: Cyclestripper This user has validated their user name.

Thu Nov 7 11:04:19 2013

You know, it is disappointing to send an accurately worded letter to the editor and then, basically, be called a lier by others. That really is offensive.

Why would you do that?

What I reported to INA actually happened. In another example, I shipped a crankshaft to Australia and had to refund almost half of the shipping (I would have to look it up but the refund was just over $25).

Now, it may be that ebay is charging me far too little for shipping my international items but this has been going of for well over a month with no negative ramifications.

So, if you want to comment on what EBAY is doing wrong, that's fine, but insulting a person for accurately reporting factual information is NOT the right course of action.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Thu Nov 7 12:34:09 2013

@cyclestripper

I'm sorry you feel you have been disrespected.  I know how it feels as I've been the recipient of that on these threads many times.

I can only speak for myself.  I just quoted what the USPS rates were for the information you provided.

I think that you may want to take a closer look at what METHOD of shipment the buyer is choosing verses the METHOD of shipment you are actually using.

For example: your buyer chooses First Class.  But when you ship the item, you used International Economy.

I have a package ready for the UK right now.  I get the commercial plus rate from Ebay / USPS.  So the screen is telling me 22.30 for a package just about 1.5 pounds.

You may consider calling Ebay to see what is going on.

by: FarmerBrown This user has validated their user name.

Thu Nov 7 17:59:31 2013

Today I had sold a framed picture. Customer asked if I would mail picture only, no frame. I agreed. I packaged the item,weighed it, changed the eBay invoice to reflect weight difference. eBay showed First Class Int'l rate would be $26, USPS website quoted $18.60.  I carried the package to my post office and was charged the $18 rate. Why did eBay show $8 dollars more?

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Thu Nov 7 19:05:45 2013

@farmerBrown

How much did the package weigh?

By the way, I know you didn't ask this, but I do caution you about doing as your buyer requested [no frame].  Of course take it on a case by case basis, but know that when you do something like this, it is now No Longer As Described.    An easy claim for the buyer to file and get a refund.

by: FarmerBrown This user has validated their user name.

Fri Nov 8 08:06:57 2013

Marie, that thought never occurred to me, good point. I always want to give buyer cheapest shipping. The weight of package was 1 pound 2 ounces.

by: Tornad0sRul This user has validated their user name.

Sat Nov 9 11:50:05 2013

I contacted EBay recently asking them what they do when an item in the Global Shipping Program weighs less than originally estimated and they told me that they do not refund the buyer.  But what was really strange was that just this week someone from Canada wanted to buy an antique doll from me and they said that they were being charged customs/duties/fees when the laws of Canada do not require such fees on used items under $100. I told the buyer that I would change the listing to be excluded from the Global Shipping Program and she said that would be fine.  BUT, when she went to purchase the item the shipping costs were then estimated to be $10 more, and I had not changed anything in the listing. SO I am wondering if the Global Shipping Program actually gives shipping discounts?  Either way something isn't right and they need to make sure that they work out the kinks.