Mon Oct 28 2013 18:59:23

eBay Restricts Seller over Duplicate Listing Policy

By: Reader

Apparently eBay has changed it's duplicate listing policy.

Up until now they would remove duplicates or simply not display them. Today I received the following notification from eBay (apparently I had 2 duplicates).

"After reviewing your eBay account, it appears that you have violated eBay's policy. As a result, we've taken the following action on your account:

- Selling privileges have been temporarily restricted. You won't be able to list new items for 7 days. You're also not allowed to register a new  account during this time.

- Duplicate item listings we identified have been removed. A list of removed items is available further down in this email.

- Any fees for listings ended early because of this violation will not be credited to your account."

I have an Anchor store with 5000 items. I cannot relist or create new listings for 7 days. Nice move eBay. Looks like I'm in for another GREAT season of Christmas selling on eBay.
Regards,
Ron

eBay Restricts Seller over Duplicate Listing Polic   eBay Restricts Seller over Duplicate Listing Polic

by: Steevo This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 28 19:46:19 2013

Ham handed actions from ebay.

There a literally thousands of duplicates from chinese sellers, they have three or more accounts with all the same items on them over and over.

It's really getting impractical to sell on ebay anymore.

by: Steevo This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 28 19:48:52 2013

BTW, they accused me of listing duplicates once.

I pointed out to them on the phone that though those machines are the same you can see the serial number in the picture and each is a separate unit with different usage, etc. Clearly if they exist separately in the world they cannot be the same.

They are bozos.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Mon Oct 28 20:47:31 2013

As Steevo correctly points out, some of the Asian sellers have hundreds of the exact same item. Ron, since you have nothing to do for the next seven days (except, hopefully, shipping out some of your sold items), why not spend some time compiling a list of violations by eBay's favored sellers? I don't know if you can appeal your restriction, but perhaps you can get a CS supervisor to explain why there isn't a "level playing field" (one of eBay's favorite expressions) with regard to duplicates.

by: Massachusets Howler This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 28 21:36:28 2013

It is SO EASY to post a duplicate now.
1 minute I show 14 unsolds and the next 2 unsolds, then they disappear and I have none, then they are back.

Ebay is definitely setting up a system where it is easy to make mistakes so they can clip us.
This fellow has 5000 listings and them more you have and are re-listing the more chances it will happen inadvertently- it is BY DESIGN.
VERY TELLING that they remove the policy compliance feature just when the unsold list starts going wacky- they are cunning thieves and manipulators.

THAT is what they are doing.

Mass Howler

This user has validated their user name. by: Ric

Mon Oct 28 21:36:56 2013

Penalizing sellers and finding new ways to do it seems to be eBay managements favorite past time lately.

Here is another prime example of how eBay's recent changes and their diminished transparency are negatively impacting sellers.

eBay recently removed the policy compliance view from sellers dashboards. At the time, eBay attempted to explain away this change by claiming that the policy compliance view was inaccurate so they removed it.

Despite a management team that is overstocked with supposedly intelligent MBA's it never crossed their mind to address and repair the issues which caused the display to be inaccurate.

In this case, if the policy compliance view had not been removed it is likely the OP would have been aware they had one foot on a banana peel with regard to duplicate listings and they would most likely have been more attentive to avoid further violations.

eBay continues to harass sellers to their own detriment. In their own words ( colds or no colds) eBay has warned about disappointing Q4 results while sites like Amazon are anticipating continued growth.

At what point are all these allegedly intelligent executives going to wake up and realize that disappointing sales growth is directly attributable to the hostile environment and dismissive attitude eBay management maintains toward their own sellers.

The answer is apparent, the time this line of cause and effect is considered in San Jose will be during the financial autopsy conducted after the eBay marketplace implodes.

by: Bloggo This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 28 22:06:37 2013

Why are so many people with MBAs complete morons?

633AA2uqZh

by: AgendaSwallowsAll This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 28 22:17:23 2013

I was simply red-faced the other night when a similar email was received but w/o the restriction.

They lull all in to a false sense of security by displaying a ''This listing is identical to.....'' warning should one make an error but it only apparently works 99% of the time give or take. Then during list specials the system is consistently glitched and/or non-functional in a multitude of ways too lengthy to cover all and they have the flippin' NERVE to blame the seller for duplicates.

Don't get me wrong, it's not like I'm surprised for all ebay does in this day & age carries the identical intent but that doesn't stop me from being red-faced when I receive such an IGNORANT email.

by: JustTheFacts This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 28 23:46:42 2013

It does not matter what small and medium sellers do or don't do, EVERYTHING is wrong according to ebay.

Everything is now a crime and they insist on PUNISHMENT.  Unless of course you are a Diamond sellers, then there are NO crimes and NO punishments.

What stings about this even more is how blatant they are about it, knowing they are completely IMMUNE to any sort of legal ramifications because all of our government agencies and courts are so SOLD OUT and CORRUPT.

Even the Bill m Me later "investigations" is a JOKE. If they get even a slap on the wrist they will pay a fine to the government and the people they cheated will get NOTHING.  So the winners will be paypal, ebay and the government.

The ONLY way to force ebay to pay attention is to hit them where it actually hurts and that is through their DIAMOND sellers. Small and medium sellers mean nothing  to them, so we just have STOOP buying from the diamond sellers.  When they are no longer making money on ebay they will dump ebay just like ebay dumps us.

by: Truk This user has validated their user name.

Tue Oct 29 00:02:28 2013

We also received a dup notice on used items that were the same make and model but were in different condition all the listings had there own photo's
None of these were duplicates but ebay CSR's were like talking to a wall
They said they would file an appeal for us and we would hear back in 48 hours after 3 more calls still nothing

by: OzKid This user has validated their user name.

Tue Oct 29 00:04:17 2013

These 7 day restrictions seem to be the new thing! I copped one from a VeOR in Europe, where web bots are rampant. I had ticked No International Sales BUT did not go down to sub menu and specifically exclude the world, other than Oz! eBay service guy agreed I had tried to stop International Sales but I had not jumped through the hoops far enough - I have about 7,000 listings and the 7 day thing cost me about AU25,000 in turnover - more than you get fined for insider trading here.

Duplicate listings are inevitable with the clunky eBay software freezing/ dropping out/ sending you to the home page etc. I copped a duplicate Listing violation the other day, only weeks after the VeOR Restriction. I have been waiting for the email....

The MAIN problem is that the auto relist does not work and the notification email does not tell you the specific item which failed. Another trick is to wait 24 hours before relisting a failed relist as I have found if you are two quick off the mark the data base will not pick up the new listing.

I agree, we have been set up to fail....

by: boardwalk This user has validated their user name.

Tue Oct 29 00:08:16 2013

Here is the biggest joke ever.  If you use Turbo Lister and list a few thousand items at once.  There is the possibility where the connection gets lost or frozen.  When the connection reconnects you can most definitely have a few duplicate items launched in the process.  Most of the time Turbo Lister catches the duplicates other times it does not. But here is the real joke......when you are given a few 100,000 listings in FREE auctions promos.  Why would anyone purposely list one or two duplicates????  It does not make sense. Even Ebays Griff does not agree with the duplicate policy at Ebay.

by: OzKid This user has validated their user name.

Tue Oct 29 00:12:09 2013

I gave up Turbo Lister for EXACTLY that reason about 5 years ago - the software patches since have not made it any more stable and the fear of screwup is just too much!!

It is the sometimes catches but not always even listing one by one which frustrates me!

by: blaumann2 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Oct 29 00:43:13 2013

Ebay CLAIMS they restrict duplicate listings across multiple accounts. '
I can Guarantee that you can run the same listing on multiple accounts and they have no clue.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Tue Oct 29 02:29:04 2013

The duplicate listing policy is so wacky and not uniformly applied.  I've heard many horror stories from various sellers.  However I've never hear a seller getting restricted for just two duplicates.  That's pretty darn harsh.

Since we can no longer see on our dashboards how many or what kind of policy violations we have, maybe the OP has other violations they are not aware of?

by: Ebay's Slow Death This user has validated their user name.

Tue Oct 29 03:45:54 2013

I just got a message on one of my accounts to change several things in my over 500 listings.

One was to change the category my craft books were in. I had put them in ''Collectibles: Sewing Manuals and Books'', and Ebay wanted them in Non-Fiction Books. So I clicked on the button to change all of them at the same time, and put them in the recommended category. As they were going into the ''Suggested Category'' from the old one, I watched the bottom, right hand corner as the fees started adding up. When it hit $39.00, I cancelled it. I guess they were charging me for a second category, when it looked like they were removing them from one category and putting them into another.

Also, they wanted me to add Item Specifics. But, when I went to revise a listing, there was nothing to add.

I don't know how they can expect you to go through and change hundreds of listings.

The message indicated that if I didn't add Item Specifics and change several other things in my listings, they wouldn't be seen.

I have a Premium store, and am Top Rated, with no problems (that I know about). My listings have been just fine, until now. Suddenly, they want me to go through and changed each one.

It is getting impossible to sell on Ebay anymore. It is one thing after another, and amounts to harassment.

And, that drop down menu, when you click on My Ebay, is driving me nuts!

This user has validated their user name. by: Al G

Tue Oct 29 09:15:06 2013

@Marie -

I got whacked last year for 2 duplicate listings.

It was during one of those promos & was relisting some cheap items using Turbot-liser & about 10-12 items got duplicated unbeknownst to me.

About 1 day later, eBay sends me, to paraphrase, "we removed some duplicates...yabba,yabba,yabba". Naturally I tried to look over all my 2200 listings or so & found a few more & thought I dodged the bullet.

But no, about another day I was given the opportunity to cool  my jets for 7 days. Fortunately I had a dormant ID sitting on the side & was able to list 50 for the next week which was fine.

The blot on my pristine record was kept for 9 months, except I don't know when it ended cause the Dashboard no longer shows violations info.

I didn't bother with any appeals since I had a backup. The point being is that from my standpoint, it was an honest mistake, but I'm sure eBay does not care.

It seems that nowadays, Turlo-Blister will give you a warning of dupes being uploaded as well as the Selling Manager (another clunkly application, but a little quicker than TL).

As an aside, from previous DP experience, the corrections needed in TL & the relist feature of SM would take at most 3 people total about 2 months of work to correct about 90% of the deficiencies & kludginess - 6 months for an upgraded interface rewrite - chump change!

by: FREDDY This user has validated their user name.

Tue Oct 29 09:40:05 2013

I will bet those that get restricted are selling the same items as diamond sellers or very similar.
They have to protect the diamonds........
China can do whatever they want with  no restrictions etc......... Why is that?

by: Soggy Dollar This user has validated their user name.

Tue Oct 29 10:31:52 2013

Ebay has MANY glitches in their systems to trap sellers into inadvertently duplicating listings.  Recently, the bulk relist does not populate all the products a seller is relisting. (even though it is relisting all the ones you checked)  i.e.  you only see a partial visual list prior to CONFIRM & SUBMIT. As a seller you go back and list the items you thought you had missed checking in the bulk relist and WA LA!  You now have duplicates.  Now you see them -- then you don't.  Ebay's program glitch stabbed you in the back.  Another is that when you send an active fixed price listing to auction, the system puts the fixed price in UNSOLD when in fact it is the same product you just sent to auction.  What a joke.  Who can keep correct inventory with ebay's system? I called ebay about the duplication notice I received and they told me they were aware they had an issue with the bulk relisting program but it was my responsibility to be sure I was not duplicating listing.  Really?  They are baiting us into making duplicate listings with their program glitches.  Ebay are simply trying to narrow down the sellers to the Chinese by allowing all their duplicated items which may be why eBay is losing buyers who are sick of seeing the same products over and over on the first pages of Best Match.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Tue Oct 29 11:52:42 2013

@Al G

It just makes me shake my head.  There is no logic to what they are doing with this. It costs you money in lost sales and Ebay in lost revenues.  A couple of duplicates is an easy HONEST OOPS!  There is no way for them to realistically defend such a ridiculous policy.

As to the violation itself.  It doesn't stay on your account of 9 months, its 90 days.  Then it will drop off.  Not that we can see that anymore or verify it.  Cuz it is Classified information now and our clearance level is no longer available to us.  And apparently we don't Need to Know.

*******************
Diamond seller are in every category, so there may or may not be on that will affect the products a seller sells that gets affected by one of these STUPID restrictions.

by: sickandtired This user has validated their user name.

Tue Oct 29 13:32:20 2013

The ugly step-sister of this ebay glitch is one the I have been fighting with for almost 3 years.

There is hardly a month that goes by that I don't get at least one sale (store listing) for an item that I do not have because it had already sold. Sometimes it is a single quantity and other times it was a listing that had multiple items available, but the qty had gone to 0.

I initially spent untold hours on the phone with c/s trying to figure out what the problem is, sent in reports, jumped through hoops but never got an answer, just a "sorry you are experiencing this difficulty".

I have been fortunate that so far I have been able to placate annoyed buyers who I have refunded with the message "I ran out of stock", but it is just pure luck that I haven't had negs or dinged stars as a result.

With the number of times that this has happened, if only 1/2 of the buyers had been nasty about it, I have no doubt that I would have lost my PS, TRS, discount and possibly been suspended.

Ebay has no compunction about punishing sellers for ebay programming glitches, circumstances beyond our control like delivery times and buyer misbehavior.

ONLY A VENUE.....that is fantasy - never to be a reality again.