Wed Oct 16 2013 16:54:05

Random Shipping Terms Pop up in eBay Seller's Listings

By: Reader

What a week. Since discovering HERE that shop items that have had “no sales in 16 months” are left out of user queries, I have been ending and relisting day in and day out with new titles, and 30 day durations.

I have discovered that the bulk edit tool would not let me change “Good til Cancelled” listings to “30 Day” durations. It acted like it worked, but a few days later, I realized no changes had been effected.

You know, when I asked eBay years ago what that means with respect to a unique item for sale, no one told me it means that the specific shop inventory item is off the radar. I would willing to reword a title every 16 months if it meant exposure.

I tried to end a couple days of listings with the bulk edit tool, and received error messages that the system would not allow me to do so. (I reported this in the EKG blog.) Much later, I noticed they had ended without notice.

Today, while tediously relisting on my lunch hour, I discovered I have listings that show 14 day returns accepted. I do not accept returns at all (well, I do, but that’s beside the point). I panicked! Then, I started seeing the oddest delivery times! The gist of them was that if the buyer paid in the next few hours/minutes, the item would be shipped TODAY. More panic—as I have never made this assertion because I work in an office all day.

As I began jumping around my greatly-reduced number of listings, I saw at least 3 different delivery times (see attached). Somehow SOME listings were now displaying same day shipping. All I ever promised was to ship in 24 hours (one day handling).

I was on the phone with eBay for over an hour—nothing was resolved. I repeatedly “edited” my listings to correct the inconsistencies, but they still exist, hours later.

Is there ANY hope that eBay will stop interfering with my business transactions and compromising my ability to manage buyer expectations? I am continuously told no such problem has been reported. Do I need to scan the archives?
Best wishes,
Robin

Random Shipping Terms Pop up in eBay Seller's List   Random Shipping Terms Pop up in eBay Seller's List

by: Tiffee Jasso This user has validated their user name.

Thu Oct 17 00:26:42 2013

Unfortunately, I don't think there is any way to keep Ebay from changing your site preferences. It is part of the new Ebay and either we put up with it, or we leave. That said, you can go and change them back the way you like them and then keep a constant check on them to make sure they don't go blooey on you in the dark of night!

by: Bloggo This user has validated their user name.

Thu Oct 17 01:24:03 2013

On numerous occasions I've had Today (Whatever today's date happens to be)as the estimated delivery date. This is particularly ridiculous when this occurs with International orders.

by: lindysthings This user has validated their user name.

Thu Oct 17 08:59:39 2013

This past week I had 4 of my 12 auctions switched over from US only shipping, to shipping to dozens of countries! Some I had no idea where they even were on the map!
In 16 years of selling I have never opened my listings up to International buyers and have never changed my preferences, which were set in My Ebay to sell to the US only. And why would they change just 4?? Nothing makes any sense. Hard to keep a focus on business when gremlins get in and change things around!!

by: FREDDY This user has validated their user name.

Thu Oct 17 09:21:13 2013

Couple of months ago, we had best offer on a couple of items.
We always mark and sell to USA only. What a surprise when we rec'd offers from Isreal, and Germany on a $8.00 item. The shipping would have been ridiculous. From then on till we closed up on ebay, we checked each listing on a daily basis for changes made by ebay.  That kind of cr----p is one of the many reason they lost a seller (TRS) and buyer.

by: timeaftertime This user has validated their user name.

Thu Oct 17 09:38:00 2013

It is not just eBay. Make a note on your calendar to routinely check ALL your accounts where you have preferences. This is not the easiest thing to do on eBay because they have made it a very convoluted process. Email, Amazon and other accounts are easier to check.

You need to keep on top of ANY site where you agree (or not) to make your information public, allow other users to add you to ''circles,'' receive offers, etc. etc.

Any of the ''FREE'' accounts should be checked routinely for changes to your preferences. There is no ''free lunch'' anywhere, they sell or otherwise use your information for their own profit, and will change your preferences without you realizing it.

The changes eBay has made in International selling are only the latest. Look on the listing form to make sure when you list an item, that you are not shipping to a shipping center (international shipping option).

eBay about a month ago changed my preferences from ''NO'' international shipping to selling world wide via a US Shipping Center (where foreign parcels are collected for shipment to other countries). In addition to removing the international ship option from my seller preferences, I also created a list of ''Excluded countries'' basically including the entire world other than the USA. Probably not a cure all but I wanted to give them a merry chase for their next time changing my settings without telling me.

by: timeaftertime This user has validated their user name.

Thu Oct 17 09:47:12 2013

Thinking about it I believe what is happening is eBay has changed many of you to their ''Global Shipping'' which apparently is different than ''International Shipping.''  So even if you've got ''No international shipping'' as a preference, now you're into a ''different'' program, the ''Global Shipping'' from which you must OPT OUT.

If this is your situation here is what you do :

When you list an item, in the Shipping section, even if you had ''No International Shipping'' before, you'll see something about how you want International shipping handled, and there will be a box that is already
checked !! stating you are OK with an international buyer, and shipping the item to a US distribution center for processing to send overseas.

If you want to change back to ''No International Shipping'' you must sign into your account; go to MyEbay; then ACCOUNT; then SITE PREFERENCES; then SELLING PREFERENCES. Then SHIPPING PREFERENCES where you must click SHOW.

When this opens the first line will say ''Offer the Global Shipping Program,''
and you will discover it is marked YES. To change that, you must click EDIT on the right side of the page. An ''OPT OUT'' page will appear.

GOOD LUCK !! until the next time and I hope that will be reasonably easy to counter, as well.

by: Gina This user has validated their user name.

Thu Oct 17 14:09:35 2013

SHIFT!  I'm terrified to list on eBay any more!!
They have made it soooooooooo easy for customers to sue us for every little jot and tittle!  And PayPal is standing behind them, giving the customer refunds for every little "broken promise", even if WE NEVER MADE THE PROMISE, eBay CHANGED our listings to give the customer the idea that WE made the promise!!  I'm terrified of eBay after reading these continuous postings of their automatically CHANGING LISTINGS TO REFLECT THIER DREAMS FOR THE SITE!!

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Thu Oct 17 21:47:27 2013

I noticed today that a shipping COST had been redically changed--not for the first time!---and altho the price actually charged to the buyer was correct the displayed cost was wildly LESS than what the actual postage would have cost.

If this was displayed to the buyer and then they were charged the correct but higher price surely THAT would be enough for a "Report"  to ebay of a BAD SELLER who overcharges.  Now this was on a bulky and somewhat heavy item but it could happen to any weight and size item.

Scary how these people at ebay seem to use us as guinea pigs for their sick social experiments.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Fri Oct 18 22:03:34 2013

I think Ebay has been making changes to the site fast and furious for the holiday season and as we all know, they don't see the need in making sure their updates are well tested before bringing them live.

Because of this I think they are causing all kinds of glitches in all kinds of areas.  It is just plain nuts in my opinion.

I use Quantity Manager to evaluate and relist or sell similar [whichever is best] as each of my GTC listing come up for renewal.  It is a huge time saver and I don't have to analyse things all the time.  The cost is not that much.  $10 a month.  It is very much worth the money.