Tue Sept 20 2022 12:04:45

eBay Sellers Running a Business with No Access to Their Funds

By: Reader

I emailed you before and told you that I felt like you are the voice of sellers. Well I need that voice lol.

eBay's payouts are jacked up. I read about this last night on Reddit and the OP of that post got poo-poo'd as it being a problem with his bank. But then a couple others chimed in and said well no my payouts are not being deposited either. And I thought, uh oh, here we go again.

I had 2 weekend deposits that were supposed to hit about 9 pm Monday night (that is the usual time frame). They did not. I called my bank this morning (Tuesday) and they said that not only do they have no record of those 2 pending weekend deposits, they also have no record of a pending deposit for Monday (put a pin in this).

They also said that eBay's "bank reference number" that eBay attaches to their payouts on the seller hub is a meaningless number. What I need for my bank to resolve it is the 15 digit ACH trace number, which of course eBay does not provide.

I called eBay and of course got their third world "helpline" and they did transfer me over to managed payments and this is what he told me:

We know there is a problem. It's affecting a lot of sellers. We are working on fixing it. We don't know when it will be fixed, and we don't know when you will have your money.

I'm about to make post at reddit putting them on blast because I KNOW they read there but then I thought nope, I'm gonna email Ina.

The unhelpful guy on the phone from eBay told me that "it's just the payouts from this weekend that are affected" well no I call bullshit on that. My payout that went out Monday night/Tuesday morning? Well my bank said they would have a record on their end of a pending ACH for tonight, and they do not.

Then he told me "it's being fixed right now" but had no timeline whatsoever of how long before I get my money. I pointed out that these two statements contradict each other, and he had nothing to say to that.

So I guess I'm going to sit here with no money trying to run a business. This doesn't happen anywhere else. It doesn't happen with Poshmark, Mercari, etc. It just happens with the people who have been in business the longest and should know how to get us paid without screwing us all up!!!

Thank you for being there, Ina Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope of getting an actual straight answer.
R.

Note from the editor: eBay's System Status board shows green (all working) for Payouts, and while its Tech Issues thread is showing a problem with payouts, it has not communicated with sellers on the Seller Announcement Board, though an eBay moderator responded in a thread about the "known issue" (glitch). The problem has been reported on the Ecommerce EKG board. Some sellers reported eBay customer service initially blamed sellers' banks for the problem.

Perminate Link for eBay Sellers Running a Business with No Access to   eBay Sellers Running a Business with No Access to

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Wed Sep 21 03:57:00 2022

Thanks so much Marie....

I read eCommerceBytes so, I see up close how Ebay no longer belongs on the eCommerce landscape. It isn't worthy.
Seeing these articles Over and Over and Over that Ebay is such a screw up and yet it still exists proves NO ONE is paying attention.
ERASE Ebay and give us a platform ( or 2 or 3) that delivers HAPPY NEWS about sellers' ability to gain fantastic profits, its great functionality, and ease of communication with all parties.
Ebay has been diluted with substandardness the like we never want to see in an online selling platform ever.

Coffee ?

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Wed Sep 21 04:05:24 2022

I would love to get coffee sometime.  I truly wish we could.

This site has lots of great articles, which is why I pop in from time to time.  But not all of the Letters to Editors are correct and that is something to keep in mind.  This one certainly is but they aren't all correct and posters here don't recognize that normally.

Then there are articles written by Ina that are very good and deserve discussion.  Which is a very difficult thing to do on this site.  Some only see and want their point of view heard and read.

I still wish you nothing but the very best and I am sincerely deeply sorry about your loss.  That is a whopper.  I still have my Mr. Wonderful and I can't even imagine being without my significant other.  My heart is with you and I'm sending you some HUGS!!!!

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Wed Sep 21 04:13:34 2022

Hugs to you   :o)
Yes, it's like having my right arm and left leg removed.
We were inventors and problem solvers together.
A comfortable match....
Get a game plan together just in case....
And know the hospital may lie to you .......
I've had to come up with some interesting solutions for interesting challenges....
Online sales are slow, so finding other things to do is on the menu.....

This user has validated their user name. by: David Steiner

Wed Sep 21 07:27:49 2022

Wow, I have to say this was nice to wake up to.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Wed Sep 21 13:09:27 2022

@the end

Sales are down all over, at least for me.  But for you that might be allowing you time to find you way in other aspects of your life.

If you ever need to chat off a public blog, let Ina or David know and they can get you in contact with me.  I would be happy to help you in any way I can.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Wed Sep 21 14:03:40 2022

In order of importance:

1) heartfelt feelings and condolences to The End - for what ever you are going through. We all here fight against the greater evil (eBay) each and every day - but in the end - we are all smaller sellers trying to survive in a landscape where the mob is an 800 pound gorilla you cant win against. We ALL support you in your time of need.

2) eBay has now changed back the "you sold" email address from Noreply@eBay.com to eBay@eBay.com - $1000 says its part of the mess (if they were using email addresses to send money from then its %100 the issue)

3) this it what happens when you let (never mind champion) monkeys to run an ecommerce company/payments system. They could easily email you if they know theres an issue - but MAYBE if it pleases them - they may post it on some board somewhere. Childish, imbecilic, and 3rd world.

"I do fear that because this is Ebay Open week that available staff to fix the issue may be low and cause a delay in the fix."

eBay has 10,000 employees, none of the top brass at the top have anything to do with payments and none of the low end yoyos have access control to funds release - please, eBayClosed cant effect anything.

The OP said "This doesn't happen anywhere else. It doesn't happen with Poshmark, Mercari, etc", no it doesnt because they actually give a d@mn about their customers. They know/care that smaller sellers LIVE off those funds and they are concerned and act right away when something goes wrong.

"No other place on the internet is irresponsible as Ebay is" .... you said a mouthful. Its arrogance, its "i know better-ism", its you are all just noise anyway" and thats why things continually happen.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Wed Sep 21 15:30:33 2022

@Pace

"4) there ARE people who are (in the above conversation) letting eBay off the hook - no wait - its Chase's fault, or maybe Trump's, or Biden's ... NO, its eBays, it always is."  You didn't want to use my name?  Why?  You have never been shy before.

With that said, please QUOTE what I said that defends Ebay.  Don't assume or interject your words, use mine.  Where did I say this specific issue of this letter was not Ebay's fault?

Yes I did say that with Ebay Open going on I was concerned about how fast this issue would be fixed.  Yep I said that.  Fortunately for those affected sellers I was WRONG and Ebay did fix the issue quickly.

Humm, I'm not sure how accurate that is regarding no other sites having payment issues from time to time.  I've experienced it both on Etsy and Amazon.  Not often, but it has happened.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Wed Sep 21 17:59:23 2022

Marie

Since JD's time at eBay, its ALWAYS been eBays fault (maybe even earlier)

Sure Id like to blame Hillary Clinton (or someone) but I cant (not this time).

Maybe its Price Harrys fault (people seem to not like him so lets blame HIM shall we?)

All I replied was that eBayClosed had nothing to do with payments as you expressed concern that its very being would hinder a fix.

Jaime et al have NO control (let alone an idea how) on funds.Jaime doesnt send Adyen a list of people whos funds need releasing.

Its a program and then a team of "people" who over see it, period. eBayClosed could be a week long aka Woodstock and all that would change is, less people at Walkers for afternoon drinks.

Have you ever met eBay "staff"? (wait - knowing you, you probably have)(thank god Ina and David "didnt"). I did. They were as bright as a 25watt light bulb. No answers, no "insight", no nothing - just shlubs in t-shirts (and theres apparently 10thousand of them!).

Its not about you being wrong - Im not here to correct you - but it "seems" that you tread VERY lightly when ever the topic is eBay. Go ask Ina - I dont choose articles and most things I send it she ignores (news items).

So if theres a metric TON of articles about eBay doing yet another BAD thing to sellers - its not my doing.

But I'd love to see you GENUINELY get angry at them.

eBay held the OPs funds for no reason (glitch, no glitch - who cares what the reason was) - is there an apology coming from them? How about (at least) some free listings, maybe a t-shirt - something, ANYTHING .... or there could just be crickets .

"Then he told me "it's being fixed right now" but had no timeline whatsoever of how long before I get my money"

%1000000000000000000000 that if YOU (or I) go past the 30 days they give you to pay your bill - theres interest - wanna bet?

So when the OP gets short changed (no pun intended) even though it wasnt ME - I get angry. Its eBay (yet again) hurting some smaller seller. I dont need to know who they are, what they sell, where they live, old or young, single or married, Dem or Repub - doesnt matter - its "the Empire" once again hurting someone FOR NO GOOD REASON.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Wed Sep 21 19:45:08 2022

@Pace

"Since JD's time at eBay, its ALWAYS been eBays fault (maybe even earlier)"  I honestly don't know why this keeps coming up on the SPECIFIC blog.  Not a soul, not one single poster has said that this problem wasn't Ebay's fault or problem to resolve.  So why you feel you need to beat this into everyone simply makes no sense at all.  Disregarding the JD stuff, no one disagrees with you about who is at fault here.

"- but it "seems" that you tread VERY lightly when ever the topic is eBay."  I am aware that you prefer colorful language when describing your feelings about Ebay.  I don't choose to use the verbiage that you do nor is it required to express things.  It doesn't mean my post is wrong it only means it doesn't meet your approval or whatever you want to call it.  I have no desire to seek out nor do I need your approval on how I post or the words I choose.

Sellers have been reporting all day that they have seen their deposits arrive at their bank for the Saturday and Sunday deposits that were missed.  More will likely follow tomorrow.  It is going to depend on how fast the banks record them.  That is why there is a fluctuation normally when payouts are released.  Different banks have different procedures.  Some will get deposits recorded in under 24 hours others will take a day or two longer.

by: kazaly This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 22 03:34:50 2022

If I were a conspiracy theorist I'd be arguing that eBay are stalling payouts until their forex trading outcomes look a bit more positive.
The huge slush fund they now have access to could cause any number of issues given the volatile nature of short term investment strategies.

by: RMA49311 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 22 05:53:07 2022

I've been getting all my payments in the normal, slow-as-molasses time frame. But I have been getting them.

by: JohnGermaine This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 22 07:44:32 2022

Sign of a failing company.  SMH - they have really screwed a once thriving company up royally.  I'm selling off my inventory and done with the whole thing.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 22 08:40:09 2022

To quote Mrs Slocum "weak as water", Marie.

You arent sure why I mentioned who was at fault for the slow payments? Its because someone wrote in and said that eBay was slow walking her payments - so SOMEONE has to be at fault.

It cant be me, it cant be you, it cant be Nancy Pelosi - it HAS to be (drum roll please) eBay and the morons that run it - does it make sense to you ?

As for "colorful language", I dont hide or couch things - I mean what I say and I say what I mean. When you (eBay) do bad things - expect to be called out on it. If you want to be weak as water - thats up to you.

"It doesn't mean my post is wrong" - unless you deny your claim of stating that eBayClosed will slow down or stop the solving of the issue. I replied to you that the people attending the dog n pony show have nothing to do with payments - and Im right. Theres a dept for that and THOSE people - dont go to shows.

I never said you needed my or anyones approval for anything .....

"Different banks have different procedures" ... ACH deposits work on a specific system and are routine - its all ca computer program. If YOUR (or anyone elses) bank holds things up past the standard times - then theres ANOTHER issue (besides eBays not sending it out). Its all STANDARD, theres no special procedure.

by: Jester This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 22 09:27:12 2022

I have had no problems getting my money from eBay. I have my payouts set to monthly and I do on demand when I need funds which is usually about 2-3 times a month.

by: Whatever This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 22 10:40:43 2022

Just a little note - last weekend I did a 3 days outdoor festival. I hadn't done one in years (really) I made more  money in 3 days than I had sold on Ebay and Mercari combined in 3 months! I was paid immediately thru Square and cash. It was actually very interesting - I thought everyone was broke. Not so. Could it be that buyers and sellers alike are sick of the internet baloney? Do they want to see and feel the merchandise again? This event was an eye opener for me and I'm actively booking more events for the future - sellers - there is life out there.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Thu Sep 22 13:19:08 2022

@Pace
That wasn't my question.  I quoted you and then asked things.  So just revisit the previous post.

"I never said you needed my or anyones approval for anything ....."  You are absolutely right, you did not.  You just act like it IMHO.

There has always been differences between some banks and how fast they get a deposit coming in via ACH recorded.  That has happened for many years.  Some banks will record them in less than 24 hours, others may be longer, which is why it is often noted 1-3 or even 4 days.  Some [not all] small local banks and credit unions do have a slower process.

A banks process for how they handle ACH transfers has nothing to do with Ebay and has to do with that bank and the ACH system.  If this is a new subject to you, I get that.  But this has been a thing since MP started.

by: LordWifflebottom This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 22 13:19:18 2022

@Pace306

Dude, why are you so hateful and forcing your opinion this person?  Seriously, why can't people have opinions but you can?  Almost all of your points are opinion , so you have zero right to attack anyone.  Please calm that down.  The OP had a valid point, @Marie had a valid point, etc etc.  And you just brought negativity.

Also @The End, I am sorry for your loss.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Sun Sep 25 21:58:16 2022

I have very mixed feelings about eBay.

But I'm happy I don't depend on them like I did in the past.

Our sales are slow like they are for almost everyone

I'm still finding great deals on old Leatherman Tools on eBay, more so than on Mercari which has really cooled off as far as good deals go lately.

1 2