Tue June 7 2022 15:48:24

eBay Forces Refund Despite Buyer Giving Wrong Address

eBay violates their own money back guarantee. I had a package returned to (sender) me last week. The buyer filed an item not received claim. It was closed in my favor because the buyer gave an incorrect / invalid shipping address.

When the buyer does this they are not covered by the eBay money back guarantee so it was found in my favor.

I phoned eBay (again) and explained they violated their own money back guarantee rules and policies. The rep. agreed with me but said it would have to go to the appeals department which obviously does NOT know their own rules and policies. Said I had to wait 72 hours for them to play god with MY money that eBay stole from me and gave me a defect for them violating the money back guarantee.

eBay is not going to miss the 5k+ per month they take from me for their incompetence.
L.N.

Perminate Link for eBay Forces Refund Despite Buyer Giving Wrong Addr   eBay Forces Refund Despite Buyer Giving Wrong Addr

by: RL15 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jun 7 17:05:00 2022

all things normal at fleecebay...

they always like to steal from sellers

by: ThebigR This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jun 7 17:58:27 2022

You're not going to be allowed to keep the money and merchandise doesn't make a difference what venue you're selling on...

by: Snapped This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jun 7 19:56:31 2022

“ You're not going to be allowed to keep the money and merchandise …”

Right, that’s just of course.  And up to that point, it seemed to work as it should have.  The package was then returned (not always the case), and when it is, any buyer ‘protection’ question is made moot, and payment should be refunded.  For that part, the seller really has no valid argument, and their ire about ‘losing’ the money isn’t justified.

However, that’s not the real issue.  They TOOK the funds instead of allowing the seller to refund them.  Alternately, it could have been reshipped to the correct address (additional charges to the buyer for reshipping would be reasonable), depending on what the seller and buyer worked out.

Of course, there’s no ‘mechanics’ in place via MP for that situation.  Probably because it hasn’t occurred to eBay this isn’t exactly an unusual situation.  More likely, because they don’t want the principals communicating directly.

Guess eBay doesn’t want that original and still ‘salvageable’ sale, (metrics), or the fees (beyond the 30c they step over the dollars to focus on).  Which would be more than just the ‘original’ sale would generate with the extra shipping, and tax on that.  It can still all happen anew of course…

More importantly though, the seller speaks of a ‘defect’ assessed.  And for that, the real defect rests with eBay’s handling of all this, and their inept unempowered CS.  ‘72 hours’ to get that ‘possibly’ reversed is frankly inexcusable.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Wed Jun 8 01:05:28 2022

Ebay was wrong in this case.  While it may seem unfair to some that they seller would have the item and the buyer's money, it is how the Ebay rule is usually applied.  So the OP should call Ebay again and appeal the claim.  Actually I would suggest that they go to Ebay on Twitter or Facebook to file the appeal.  They should bet their money back from Ebay.  The buyer will get their money anyway, but Ebay should refund the OP, they just have to make sure they get to someone to take the appeal NOW, not in 72 hours, that is hogwash.

Now when this happens to me, and it has many times.  I email the buyer and give them a couple option.  I tell them that once I get the item back I can reship it to the correct address.  If that is the option they want, then they need to give me their email address and I will bill them through PayPal for the costs for reshipping and fees I have to pay.

Or if they don't want to do that, I will refund them for the time less the shipping and any non recoverable fees.

Buyer choice.  It has always served me well over the years.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Wed Jun 8 01:06:57 2022

Oh and there is no Defect on an INR case.

by: Donkey This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jun 8 06:26:47 2022

They just did the same thing to me.
Buyer payment address was in FL.
Buyer said he did not receive it since the correct address was in PA.
I lost the item and the payment even though I did everything that I was suppose to do.

by: Alfacar This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jun 8 08:59:46 2022

When you offer free 30 days returns , you allowed to deduct original shipping from the refund or if item comes back in different condition than percentage of the payment.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Wed Jun 8 12:26:56 2022

@Donkey

I'm sorry this happened to you.  I should not have.  Did the buyer do a Chargeback or did they file a claim in Ebay.  If you had electronic tracking on the package and it shows as delivered to the ship to address on the buyer's payment they issued to you, of course you should be covered by Seller Protection.

The protection we have on INRs has always been the BEST for us in Ebay.  Not as subjective as some others.  But one we could depend on.  I am not sure what is going on here.  Certainly something is wrong.

I urge you to appeal this.  And if you do Social Media do it on Ebay's Twitter or Facebook account.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Wed Jun 8 12:28:34 2022

@Alfacar

by: Eliot This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 9 01:06:29 2022

Several years ago, I ordered an $800 item from an eBay seller who put the wrong address on the package. CS accused me right off the bat of giving the seller the wrong address (I hadn't given them any address since they automatically got my normal shipping address from the transaction information) and said there was nothing they could do. The thing that really saved me was that the seller didn't use signature confirmation (PP payment). It turned out that the item was fake; the person who bought it after me left a negative saying so. So I don't understand how ebay can treat sellers so differently. I guess it's a crap shoot.

This user has validated their user name. by: ySirTinLee

Thu Jun 9 01:58:45 2022

I don't understand how the seller got the wrong address.  Since when do buyers give addresses to sellers?  Isn't it in the information from ebay?

by: leavingNY This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 9 04:42:13 2022

If you go to the Ebay money back guarantee page on Ebay. It clearly states that As long as the seller ships to the address the buyer gives to Ebay, the money back guarantee does NOT apply if the buyer gives ebay an incorrect or invalid address. Which is why the case was closed by Ebay in favor of the seller in the first place. The buyer does NOT get any of the money back. Instead the buyer needs to contact the seller and pay to have the item reshipped. Seller did contact Ebay when they took the money back and reversed the outcome, Ebay is negligent in this case. Ebay agreed they were wrong, but still has not given the seller the money back (yet). This is a clear violation of Ebay rules and policies, and the ebay money back guarantee.  The seller should not have had the outcome reversed and had the money taken back according to Ebay money back guarantee. The buyer handled it wrong. Ebay handled it wrong. Obviously NOBODY at Ebay looked into why this INR case was closed in the sellers favor before they reversed the outcome. The Ebay money back guarantee did not apply is why the seller won in the first place

by: Old School Seller This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 9 07:54:01 2022

Bottom line: If an order is returned to sender for a postal reason, an honest/smart seller then refunds the purchase price and relists the item which would give the original buyer a new opportunity to buy using a corrected ship-to address.  If the seller keeps the item AND the buyer’s money that constitutes theft IMO.  Because there are now so many unscrupulous sellers (and buyers) on eBay today, I guess I can understand why eBay made this kind of refund automatic.

by: myfriendhenry This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 9 09:00:23 2022

an-157922945

by: itsjustasprain This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 9 09:05:34 2022

''However, that’s not the real issue.  They TOOK the funds instead of allowing the seller to refund them.''

Actually it sounds like the seller dragged his feet on refunding for several days after he had received the returned package:

''Number of days later, eBay reversed the outcome for the item not received claim and stole my money and gave it all to the buyer.''

It appears that when eBay found the INR dispute in his favor, he thought he did not have to refund the payment, but as tracking showed that the package had been returned to him, that eventually forced a refund to the buyer after the seller did not do it himself within a ''number of days later.''

by: itsjustasprain This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 9 11:37:39 2022

"More likely, because they don’t want the principals communicating directly."

In fact they can, at least if initiated from the seller's end. In the View Order Details popup for a Sold item, under the Purchase Details section at lower left, clicking on "See buyer info" will show the seller an encrypted form of the buyer's off-eBay email address for post-sale messaging within two weeks of the date of sale, as well as the buyer's phone number.

The encrypted email address goes away after 14 days, but the phone number remains indefinitely, for as long as the sale itself can be viewed.

by: Mazdaman This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 9 15:54:49 2022

To Snapped:  Yes there IS a problem with this.  The buyer provided an invalid address to eBay, who provided that address, UNVETTED, to the seller for mailing.  And they took the ENTIRE amount from the seller, while the seller also paid for shipping.

If you don't see the problem in that, you're not paying attention to where your money is going, and eBay is perfect for you.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Fri Jun 10 00:58:27 2022

@Alfacar

"Would you please provide more information on that?  I'm not sure of what rule that falls under.  As fast as things change around here, it is hard to say.  But I'm not aware of this and I'd like to read the policy."

Buyers can add whatever ship to address they want when they make payment.  It does not have to be they main address on their account.  Buyers have always been allowed to ship to a different address.  Kids at college, a friend, a family member, etc.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Fri Jun 10 00:59:19 2022

Whoops my post above this one was suppose to be to ySirTinLee.  Sorry.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Fri Jun 10 01:02:20 2022

@Mazdaman

It isn't as simple as that.  It happened the way it did because the seller did not process the claim like they should have.  They did not respond to the claim.  The buyer asked Ebay to step in because of that.  I'm not sure what anyone would really expect except for how it went on this transaction.  The seller could have avoided this, but did not.