Mon May 9 2022 07:49:25

eBay Seller's Listings Are Missing in Search

By: Reader

As of yesterday, I've discovered that not only has eBay been secretly unlisting my books, but now they are also preventing others from being searchable, though they technically appear in my store, that includes searching for ones I see right in front of my face that are in the store, but when I search I get 0 results.

This is happening on the app as well as the browser.

This has happened to me before about 2 1/2 years ago when I brought to their attention that my listings weren't appearing in the search results, even if I copied and pasted the listing title. Then, they actually gave me a credit for a full months subscription. Now, I really don't know what to do.

It seems eBay has gone a bit crazy with its treatment of its sellers, being willing to cut of their own nose to spite their face with the implementation of their newest policies, ever testing the limits of what their seller base will accept by way of intrusions and fees, and what looks like will eventually be total control and the expectation toward us that we should be happy with them allowing us to have any percent profit from our own hard work and merchandise, that may one day soon be a lesser percent than what eBay allows us to have presently.

On another note, I've still yet to see the benefits of the latest update, i.e., requiring buyers to enter their payment information before submitting an offer. Has eBay back-pedaled regarding that benefit? Still having trouble with non-payers at this point.

Sincerely,
David

Perminate Link for eBay Seller's Listings Are Missing in Search   eBay Seller's Listings Are Missing in Search

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Mon May 9 10:57:30 2022

@David (the OP) - When you searched for your own items, did you just search via eBay, or did you search using Google or another search engine? I discovered years ago that I could find items on eBay through a Google search that I couldn't find searching for directly on eBay, even when I used the exact wording in the listing title that I'd found using Google.

by: RL15 This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 9 14:58:21 2022

listings not showing in search....what a surprise said nobody

by: gilmore This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 9 16:03:29 2022

Back in 2011 I was looking to purchase a specific used car.  I searched ebay, found one that I liked, saved it as a bookmark and kept searching.

I tried to find it again by searching and not once in the week of car shopping did it pop back up in search results.  Google hadn't indexed it yet as it was so new.  If I wouldn't have bookmarked it I wouldn't have found it again(I didn't add it to ebay watchlist)  Other cars I looked at were still appearing, but the best priced one had vanished.   I ended up calling the dealer and driving to buy it directly.

That was 11 years ago, and I still have to search google to find stuff that doesn't show up on ebay's results.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Tue May 10 14:16:52 2022

For at least the last 10 yrs, eBay shows whom it wants- unless you pay up (ads or promoted listings)

eBay hooks people in (classic bait and switch tactic) telling people that their listings will be seen - when in fact they aren’t.

Of course all sellers surrender and they loose their ability to fight it - because of verbiage in the TOS that everyone agrees to by logging in.

eBay is the king of dirty tricks, ebay IS the San Jose mafia.

Ebay also overstates it’s buyer base - probably around 35% or so, and so they give everyone a taste - so they keep listing items.

You can’t win - someone needs to pay for the afternoon drinks @walkers west and those people are sellers!

by: Alfacar This user has validated their user name.

Tue May 10 14:53:13 2022

It started for me past October 2021 update. My sales went down drastically so I was looking more into why. Items were not showing up in searches although there were only few items listed and although items were promoted at about 4%. I believe it had something to do with service metrics and returns and changes to algorithms in respect to it. We all know that it doesn’t matter what the truth is about the return. You always get hit in metrics when buyer blames you- the seller. Every time I called , reps were saying hang on nothing wrong. Hang on? —seems like they knew it is temporary and I just need to wait out till bot releases me from their arms.

by: Snapped This user has validated their user name.

Wed May 11 07:08:57 2022

“ Hang on?”

Yup.  It’s an eBay mantra.  Promises without consequence.  “We are working hard to…”.  Looking forward to….   Our ‘new’ approach is….
Next quarter we expect to…. Their effervescently unempowered CS is particularly enamored of the phrase.  Both before, and after actually reaching them, as the quoted poster learned.

It’s not news though, it’s the essence of eBay; indeed, about all they can do now themselves is try to “hang on”.

News would be learning of an instance, any instance, where eBay actually kept their promise.

Meanwhile, “hang on” if you care to.  Like fishing, gotta be patient.  Only, even the most stoic steadfast angler will be compelled to move the boat when they consistently receive nary a nibble.

by: johnny This user has validated their user name.

Wed May 11 23:13:49 2022

eBay will "stalk you".  That much is certain and reliable fact.

by: Jim Y This user has validated their user name.

Wed May 11 23:31:27 2022

I was wondering if eBay was hiding used items in order to highlight the newer stuff, trying to make eBay look like the place to buy new stuff.  Trying to change their image.

by: smallstuff This user has validated their user name.

Thu May 12 01:25:59 2022

You might be making your search too specific.  Some search programs can't return  anything meaningful beyond the first few words.  Try putting your name in the listings and search for one or two words plus your name.

by: Mark4 This user has validated their user name.

Thu May 12 09:06:24 2022

This happens to us constantly, calls to ebay don't offer any solutions, yesterday we found 2 out of 3 listings were not showing in the search results. Nothing new. If they are not showing they are not selling so we pull them down and put them on Bonanza.com and Ecrater where they start selling nicely again. Only one who loses out is ebay.

by: stirringpassages This user has validated their user name.

Thu May 12 09:39:32 2022

I sell books and have done so for 20 years or so on eBay.  Suddenly my listings are not showing up either for some unknown reason which is not a good situation.  I don't think a degree in IT or computer engineering is necessary to find, say a "German Cookbook", but that is essentially happening to me.  I have a good customer base with several followers, but over the past several months I have had no NEW buyers whatsoever which is very disturbing..  I know that eBay is looking for high end items and tooting designer purses, etc..  I would NEVER buy those on-line myself and I think that is why no new buyers are appearing - high-priced, high-end items - who wants that??  Us smaller sellers are certainly being hung out to dry with no recourse..

by: spooky This user has validated their user name.

Thu May 12 09:40:51 2022

just like Uber - you've probably been gray-balled

by: Bird Mad This user has validated their user name.

Thu May 12 11:44:19 2022

I continue to be amazed that I can be the low price seller of an item that I have sold more of than any other sellers listings yet, if I search for my own listings, many are hidden. Many of my buyers are repeat seasonal purchases. Some buyers have told me they bookmarked my listing just so they could find me again because using ebay search it was too hard to find me.

by: mindelec This user has validated their user name.

Thu May 12 15:34:47 2022

don't know if my items aren't showing up in search, but this month especially i've felt like the invisible seller.  sold 4 books so far, should be triple that.