Mon Apr 25 2022 11:15:24

eBay Mangled a Claim for an Item Damaged during Shipping

By: Reader

We sold a $3XX.xx item on eBay, purchased label and coverage with UPS on eBay. The item was severely damaged during transit. eBay did not help us filing a claim with UPS for over 9 days.

eBay then provided a return label to our buyer and send them a full refund (against or will) on our behalf. Even worse, eBay provided our buyer with the wrong address on return label.

Now our merchandise is lost, we didn't make any money on this sale, we can't open a claim with UPS, and eBay refuse to take any responsibility, and is even charging us for the return label.

This is insane.
D.

Perminate Link for eBay Mangled a Claim for an Item Damaged during Sh   eBay Mangled a Claim for an Item Damaged during Sh

by: GetAGrip This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 25 12:43:27 2022

In Ebay land that is known as everything running normal.

by: ThebigR This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 25 14:51:33 2022

Really makes no difference even if everything went smoothly UPS would have denied the claim due to improperly packaged then you file a appeal and it also gets denied just how the entire system works...

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Mon Apr 25 16:04:55 2022

I use Pirateship and I have started purchasing UPS labels for items that are high damage risk.   I had an expensive item broken in shipment despite the fact that it was packaged extremely well.   Pirateship customer service filed the claim for me.  UPS paid.   Since Pirateship is a big customer of UPS I am thinking that that likely helps.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Mon Apr 25 17:34:07 2022

@D. (the OP) - You should find another company to buy your postage from. PirateShip, ShipStation, Stamps.com, Endicia, ... anyone but eBay.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Apr 26 10:42:45 2022

eBay got paid and to quote some here “but it’s THEIR platform “ so what’s the biggie!?

(Insert sarcasm here)

by: Snapped This user has validated their user name.

Tue Apr 26 14:33:55 2022

For any damage claim, the buyer’s claim is with the seller.  The seller’s claim is with the carrier (usually insurance).  The challenge is to get the buyer to cooperate in seller filing any claim.

And eBay’s claim is that they have nothing whatsoever to do with it, because ‘you’ picked the clumsy carrier.  Even if they endorsed, cajoled, and facilitated their use.

Although….they WILL be happy to ‘expedite’ any buyer claim by ‘enforcing’ the seller’s settlement.  No pesky ‘proof’ required.

This user has validated their user name. by: COVID-19

Tue Apr 26 16:07:09 2022

@Rexford

Well, one would think that eBay is a big customer of UPS too. eBay is just too lazy and incompetent to help their real customers (the sellers) fight these claims.

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Tue Apr 26 19:55:19 2022

Ya, that's why I won't use UPS.
Ever.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Wed Apr 27 01:32:27 2022

@Pace

While Ebay is all kinds of wrong it what they did to this OP, Ebay may not have been paid.  The seller is usually refunded the FVFs when a buyer is asked to return the item.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Wed Apr 27 09:51:02 2022

Marie

Now that they are the bank - they did

by: Mazdaman This user has validated their user name.

Wed Apr 27 23:34:29 2022

And eBay really thinks we're all scratching at the door to sell $5,000 items on their venue?

Since 2008, eBay has never been an advocate for sellers, who are the real customers of eBay.

eBay is now reaping the results of their indifference by those moving to other venues.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Thu Apr 28 00:51:13 2022

@Pace

Ebay is not a bank, Adyen is.  Ebay does not own Adyen.

Ebay has always refunded FVFs on full refunds by sellers.  And starting next month they will FINALLY start doing FVF refunds on Partial Refunds.

by: toyspast This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 28 01:18:14 2022

When I have to file an insurance claim with USPS, I go to the USPS website and file a claim. I haven't had to do a UPS claim yet, but I just visited eBay and the instructions are to go the UPS website and file a claim. eBay is not involved in the claims process at all.

by: Gumball This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 28 01:55:50 2022

I don't know about UPS but I do know that with FEDEX that only Ebay can fix the problem. I bought a hundred dollars worth of thimbles that the seller shipped by FEDEX to my P.O. Box. FEDEX does not deliver to P.O. boxes. The thimbles were at a nearby FEDEX warehouse. I called, gave them the order number and then my home address. I was told that Ebay was the purchaser and they were the only ones who could change things. The Seller called and got the same answer. So the thimbles went back to Pennsylvania and I live in California. I will not buy anything that is being shipped by FEDEX off of Ebay, ever again! What a mess.

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 28 02:59:14 2022

This makes no sense.  First the OP says the item was damaged (did the buyer send pictures????) then the OP says it was lost.  Was the buyer sending him the damaged product or not?  Also, EB doesn't help you file a claim, you go straight to UPS and file the claim.

by: Saveorganics This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 28 05:06:48 2022

omg! I had a very similar, equally terrible experience happen to me just a few weeks ago...Sold a $100 item plus paid $20 for shipping (and supposedly insurance.hah) because it was a heavy, larger item. Customer wanted to return the item b/c of a small discoloration (bummer, but whatever). I provided a return label to customer and approved return. cust messaged me and told me they didnt get the label and asked me to mail it to them (um, kinda weird...) i told them they could access it through ebay if they viewed their return or to contact ebay if they needed more help. apparently ebay took it upon themselves to escalate the return to a case (and stated "the buyer will have an additional 10 days to return the item") meanwhile they sent me a message saying they needed proof of my return label (thats a new one since it was purchased thru ebay), so i responded with screenshot of label...all good...NOT...a few days later i open my mailbox to find the item sitting in my mailbox broken in half next to an empty cardboard box which had a hole ripped in the end just the size of the item. WOW.  Aparently the customer put the very fragile, very heavy item in a box 3 times the size of the item with nothing else. This would be the equivilant of putting a bowling ball in a big empty box and then putting it in the mail. Because the return had already been escalated to a case (due to no fault of my own) ebay automatically refunded the customer. i was unable to deduct anything from the refund or upload pictures to the return to show the damaged item. This means Im out $20 for original shipping, $20 for return shipping plus the fairly high cost of the item. I appealed ebays decision and provided pics of what the item looked like in my mailbox and explained the situation, and ebay denied my appeal. Not even going to bother messing with trying to file an insurance claim because i know they will just say its not their fault since there was no padding or anything in the box to protect the item. I am LIVID. I cannot believe that ebay let this buyer get away with this kind of carelessness. Oh well. The only lesson to be learned here is to simply take the loss and move on because its hopeless and just a waste of time even trying to appeal a decision or explain anything to ebay anymore. Apparently pictures arent even enough proof these days!

by: spooky This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 28 08:51:10 2022

"Even worse, eBay provided our buyer with the wrong address on return label" - you sure you didn't provide eBay with the wrong address???