Fri Nov 18 2022 11:04:29

eBay Refunds Buyer Who Filed a Chargeback to Avoid Customs

By: Reader

I prefer to keep our details anonymously. We have been selling on eBay since 2006 as a top rated seller.

We sold an item overseas few months ago, buyer said in eBay messages he doesn't want to pay customs taxes and he is going to refuse it. Then he filled a chargeback that he doesn't recognize the transaction.

The managed payment department is useless and never had a similar case, they refunded the buyer. Tried to talk to few agents including with a manager that disconnected the call.

In our conversation with the buyer we mentioned the tracking # but we do have a printscreen of the tracking and an email from DHL asking to pay the fees.

We didn't get the item back. We don't understand why we are not protected here.
Anonymous

Perminate Link for eBay Refunds Buyer Who Filed a Chargeback to Avoid   eBay Refunds Buyer Who Filed a Chargeback to Avoid

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Fri Nov 18 19:32:56 2022

@Anonymous (the OP) - Do you have a statement in your listings that you are not responsible for customs fees, import tariffs, or taxes? If not, you should.

eBay won't protect you because it's the "cost of doing business" on their site. Does DHL indicate the item was delivered? Is it stuck in a DHL warehouse somewhere? I'd contact DHL and find out exactly what happened to your package. If it was delivered, and the buyer is lying about paying customs, get a written statement from DHL you can provide to eBay.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Fri Nov 18 20:09:40 2022

iheartjacksparrow says "This is just one of the reasons I no longer ship to any country other than the U.S."

Ditto, at least on eBay.  On my web site I do ship to certain international countries but the day that eBay start allowing buyers outside of the USA to file SNADs that I would be responsible for paying for return shipping I stopped. This was years ago and  I more than made up for it by by opening  my own site and by starting to sell on some other sites that I did not sell on.

OP's post is just another example of why eBay Seller Protection is a myth.

by: mjr55 This user has validated their user name.

Fri Nov 18 23:25:51 2022

Eh.....Ebay would have covered you here had the buyer opened a case on Ebay.

Charge disputes are a little more murky because technically it's not Ebay who makes the decision on these. That being said, you need to keep calling because they really should fund this as a goodwill gesture (assuming it's not some crazy amount).

by: mjr55 This user has validated their user name.

Fri Nov 18 23:26:51 2022

And I should add that whenever you win a case on Ebay, you are covered by Ebay if the buyer then files a charge dispute for that transaction. Thus, had buyer opened a case on Ebay first before the charge dispute, they would have covered you automatically.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Sat Nov 19 02:13:35 2022

@Anonymous

Sometimes Ebay does really mess these chargebacks up.  Their hands are really tied and they often to honor whatever the Credit Card Company rules, which of course is not the way Ebay should do it and often times is not the way Ebay should rule.

I recommend you file an Appeal.  But before you do, it will help you a lot if you collect your evidence first and prepare all of it.  Ebay allows one document or picture to be attached, so you will need to create something like a Word document or a PDF.

Copy and paste all the info into the document you are creating.  Start off with your summary of what transpired.  Then it is very important to include full pics of the emails the buyer sent you in Ebay.  I assume that is where they told you the stuff about customs.

Then go and get the part of the Ebay policy that supports this issue for you.  Here is the part of the policy and below that is a link to the policy.  Make sure you give them both in the document you will attach.

The item was shipped internationally and didn't clear customs because fees or duties weren't paid

Covered:

The seller overstated the value of the item or misrepresented the item's location, which caused customs fees or duties to be higher

Not covered:

The buyer didn't pay applicable customs fees or duties for any other reason.

antee-policy/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy?id=4210

Put
anything else you can think of in the document you created, then attach it to your appeal and send it in.

I hope this helps you.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Sat Nov 19 02:26:56 2022

@mjr55

Ebay's seller protection is the same if the buyer opens a claim on Ebay or they open a Chargeback.  But you are right, they often mess up when it is a Chargeback and sellers have to file the appeal to get their money back.  It shouldn't be this way but unfortunately it is.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Sat Nov 19 02:30:31 2022

@ Jack

I would venture a guess that it has been a long time since you have had to process a claim of any kind on Ebay since you stopped selling there a long time ago.  Many things have changed since then and some things are still the same.

In this case, the OP has some options.  Honestly they should have won the original claim, but unfortunately they will need to file an appeal, but it should end with them getting their money back.

Same happens with just a plain straight forward INR claim.  If the buyer files a Chargeback, sometimes the seller wins with the tracking shows received / delivered and sometimes they don't.  So in some cases the seller has to work harder than they should and file an appeal to get their money back.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Sat Nov 19 18:33:19 2022

eBay (as usual) is %100 wrong.

In order for them to avoid the chargeback fee, they dumped it on the seller and "the hell with what happens".

THIS is what happens when platforms are allowed to own part of the CC processing that goes happens on their site. Their finger is %100 on the scale and its always tipped AGAINST the seller.

eBay = the San Jose Mafia, PERIOD.

It "doesnt matter" what the minutia of the issue is - the seller sent the item via a track-able method and the buyer refused to accept the package and pay the import duties on it.

eBay should have IMMEDIATELY found for he seller and FORCED the buyer to pay (they know how to put small words with insane responsibilities on sellers but with buyers apparently NOT)

Sellers are a disposable entity on eBay and "I dont care which IDIOT eBay hires " (like the last 2) , NOTHING - not ONE THING changes.

MAYBE the seller can get the item back from DHL - only god knows what the shipping costs will be ... but as long as theres salmon tar tar over at Walkers and the beer runs cold - its all good isnt it?

(HINT: eBay is punishing you for NOT using GSP (or what ever they call it now))

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Mon Nov 21 01:25:11 2022

Ebay isn't "punishing" anyone.  They made a mistake when processing this claim.  Ebay was wrong and the appeal should get the op their money back if the make sure to provide the proper information to Ebay.

I ship internationally all the time.  I have never used GSP as it isn't something I want to use.  I have never been "punished" for not using it.

EIS is the new program but it is NOT available to everyone yet.  It is being rolled out.  So it should be site wide early next year.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 21 08:27:47 2022

"They made a mistake" ???????????????????

1) sellers cant see who/what ordered the item - eBay can - and they (if nothing else) has the buyers IP address

2) eBay sends buying and selling notifications - why did the buyer wait till it reached their country

3) why didnt eBay step in right away and make it right for the seller - what did he/she do wrong?

PUNISH is EXACTLY right.

Whether you use GSP (and I do) or the new fangled BS program OR you ship on your own - at some point (not sure when that point is for you - but I know what it is for me) - eBay needs to step in and DO THE RIGHT THING.

Of course not backing him/her is a punishment - for had they used EBAYS PROGRAM - they would "help" (god bless their little hearts), but since the OP DIDNT - they throw them to the wolves.

Like with the OTHER %99.9 that go wrong on eBay - its their won fault.

by: semper fi This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 21 11:10:57 2022

Every day Ebay does this to hundreds of small sellers. That is why after 20 years selling there, I quit. On one sale alone I lost $750.00 in merchandise and my payment and shipping to France. The buyer refused to pay the customs fee, so the Frenchie's kept my items and refused to ship them back. Also, even though I paid for insurance with the USPS to cover my items, they also refused to issue me the insurance I paid for.  Ebay refunded the scam artist buyer. No wonder why there is ZERO trust in any of these ecommerce companies.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 21 12:00:42 2022

Disney fired Old Bob, it’s time eBay fired Jaime

by: NYSteve This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 21 12:20:04 2022

anytime i get an overseas order, i consider it a gamble, esp for the shipping costs....is it worth paying , for ex, $20 shipping (not to mention the item's cost and lost sale) for this sale.

absolutely NOT, as of today!

by: Shanna This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 21 18:38:04 2022

Just remember when Paypal was the major payment processor on eBay the seller would have been protected from this with just proof of shipment, not delivery. Paypal had a department that handled chargebacks, as they did not want to lose money for sellers, unlike eBay. When eBay announced their managed payment plan, they said it would be as good or better than Paypal, but, once again, they lied through their teeth knowing they planned to do nothing on chargebacks, other than charge sellers a $20 fee.

by: NYSteve This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 21 18:40:10 2022

yes, but i think a clever persistent buyer can still do a charge back thru their own credit card, even if they lose one of the ebay or pp cases

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Mon Nov 21 19:19:14 2022

@NYSteve - I might be wrong, but don't the banks that issue the credit cards have dedicated charge back departments that actually look at evidence? I've had two charge backs using Stripe, and in each case I presented my evidence that the buyer had received their purchase, and the cases were found in my favor. And in each case the buyer never contacted me before filing a dispute, so I only conclude that were hoping to scam me.

by: NYSteve This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 21 19:39:23 2022

@Jack  fortunately, i think i only had 1 go that far, and ebay actually backed me up...but i dont swear on that, its been a while...i think the buyer got their money from their CC and Ebay gave me my money...(as a 1 time courtesy)

i know it is easy to do, i hate to admit, as a buyer...at a restaurant or almost anything else...its probably guilty until proved innocent for the seller

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 21 19:59:40 2022

Shanna said "Just remember when Paypal was the major payment processor on eBay the seller would have been protected from this" ...... and shes %101 right.

When the eBay/Paypal split came about, no one heard eBay cry at all. Did anyone see a news report saying eBay is "walking around lamenting the loss of its beloved partner and (in its own words) the BEST and SAFEST way to pay online"? NO NOT AT ALL. Not a word was spoken.

You would think that eBay employees would have worn sack cloth after that, maybe even worn a black arm band or changed their colorful logo from color to black - but no, nothing happened.

What happened to their "BELOVED PAYPAL"? Adyen offered eBay a better deal and eBay KICKED PAYPAL TO THE CURB - JUST LIKE THEY DO TO SELLERS.

Everyone knew that for Paypal to be successful ON ITS OWN, it needed to rid itself of the rotting corpse known as eBay and go its own way. And so it did.

eBay does not want to spend ONE THIN DIME helping sellers, and it doesnt, Thats the reality of it all. Chargebacks cost money. Good money. Money spent on cars, big houses and planes. Money spent on free perks by the THOUSANDS along with free food, healthcare, babysitting services and much much more. And guess who pays for it all? Its ALL "seller stolen" like it is here.

Dont believe the BS line of "please list MORE items", its just the siren song of the mermaids trying to lure sailors (sellers) to their deaths on the rocky shores. Because when the "rubber meets the road", eBay isnt there to help - because it MAY COST THEM a few coins.

eBay (when Paypal split off) was HAPPY. It saved money and it ALWAYS felt that Payal was too soft on sellers and let them win way too often.

Well now, all the idiots that swore fealty to eBay and its NEW payments processor by believing the hype of lower fees and better service have egg on their face. You would have thought they would have learned their lesson(s), but some people just wont learn (hat tip to South Park "why wont it learn?????"). (It started with not fighting FVF on shipping, went next to creating eBays catalog for free and here we are today.)

Sadly, the OP got a taste of the bad medicine and now has to put up the fight of their lives - just to get back whats theirs and avoid an issue with King eBay.

Sad, so very sad.

This user has validated their user name. by: Bill

Mon Nov 21 23:55:28 2022

The main reason I left eBay after 22 years was because they wanted me to sign up for the stupid mangled payment and I refused.
I did very well on eBay and I sold close to 8 figures through those years and used PayPal as my processor since 2001 and never had a problem with scam buyers.
It is very sad!!!!!!!!

by: spooky This user has validated their user name.

Tue Nov 22 11:02:04 2022

I have been selling on eBay nearly 25 years. 24 of those years sold worldwide. Stopped last year after eBay's own utter incompetence caused me to refund for an $800 item. eBay International Standard FAILED to post tracking. I was left holding the bag. Plus the fact it was taking over 30 days to get items delivered. NEVER AGAIN selling outside USA. I realize I end up with less sales but I sleep betetr at night