Mon Jan 10 2022 08:37:48

eBay Threatens Collections after Seller Loses Dispute

By: Reader

I found your information online while searching for organizations that know how to handle disputes with eBay and was hoping you knew how to help.

I used to be a seller on eBay until my last transaction. Sold a computer last August, and the buyer had buyer's remorse and wanted a refund. I informed the buyer the sale was final. The buyer then opened up a case with eBay.

The eBay dispute team said since there is no way they can verify that the computer was working when I sent it, they defaulted to siding with the buyer. They then proceeded to take money out of my account (until I blocked the transaction) and close my account. They didn't even care if the $1800 computer was back in my possession (which it isn't).

Now they harass me with notices of having to pay fees and sending me to collections. Do you happen to have any advice for this situation?

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks and God bless!
Josh

Perminate Link for eBay Threatens Collections after Seller Loses Disp   eBay Threatens Collections after Seller Loses Disp

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Mon Jan 10 10:53:25 2022

You're Screwed Josh.
Anyone looking to purchase a computer should go right to the source and get a brand new one.
I can buy a used computer because I know how to repair them.
But , in general, people are morons.

by: railady This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 10 14:19:47 2022

You might think about filing a Small Claims Court suit demanding either the computer or the payment that eBay took. Buyer should not end up with a free computer (no matter if it works or not). Name eBay and the buyer as co-plaintiffs.

A mess ? Good glory, yes.  Suggestion: If a buyer wants to return something, go along with it.

by: railady This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 10 14:22:16 2022

One more thought - you might have your attorney advise eBay in writing that you will be glad to unblock the transaction once the computer is back in your possession.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Mon Jan 10 20:00:00 2022

Josh - Also file a theft report with the branch of the police department which handles the area where your buyer lives. If you have the buyer's email, I suggest you contact the buyer and inform him about the theft report and Small Claims Court action. Be sure to mention that a court action for money will have an adverse effect on his credit rating, plus a police action could result in his arrest. The thought of bad things possibly happening to him might motivate the return of the computer. Good luck!

by: plcombs This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jan 11 08:05:42 2022

If the computer is still in the hands of the buyer, eBay can complain and threaten all they want but means nothing.

According to eBay's own USER AGREEMENT,
"Once the item is delivered to the seller, your refund should be processed within 2 business days. Your refund will be sent to your original payment method and funds are usually available within 3-5 business days."

I think eBay should be doing nothing until the buyer can prove the item has been returned. Until this happens they should be doing nothing. PS I can't see any reputable collection agency even touching this case..eBay is playing hardball, and it seems the laws be damned.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jan 11 09:37:09 2022

Did your listing indicate you take returns?????

If it did - then you agreed “for almost any reason”

If NOT , then they can threaten all they want - get a lawyer

The buyer didnt file SNAD - so if you don’t accept returns then you are golden.

by: zeek6228 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jan 11 13:48:58 2022

Don't sell anything on eBay you can't afford to lose.

I've found it easier not to even talk to many buyers. If the moron didn't read the description or changed their mind just eat it and accept the return.

by: teufelwolf This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jan 11 15:30:04 2022

I agree with iheartjacksparrow
We had a issue back in the paypal days, and PP gave the buyer a refund after the buyer returned a box of trash . After we filed an IC3 report against the buyer and cc'd PP they reversed the refund.

by: I Must be Crazy This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jan 11 18:19:20 2022

If you have proof of a conversation with the buyer that he wanted to return due to buyers remorse, then I don't understand why eBay would have found in favor of the buyer at all.

If that is the case, do as iheartjacksparrow suggests. You also want to call eBay into any actions as well, including the filing of a police report for theft. It is important that you force the buyer to show up in court to explain, under oath, the reason for "return" and more importantly, why he/she still has the item.

For eBay's part, they will not want to mess with it. Once you have taken it to the level of reported theft, you will probably get your money back. Then, never sell or buy on the site again. Good luck.

by: notfunanymore This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jan 12 08:12:06 2022

When I read articles like this, or any article that has to do with selling online, it makes me cringe...  You are just a number that can get crushed in an instant by the algorithms. That's final...... You then have some clueless person frustrating you even more by creating a story to tell you why you are such a terrible seller...

by: Wind Works This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jan 12 14:56:40 2022

I am very, extremely discouraged with ebay.  In the past, I was thrilled to help my customers sell their items, everyone made some money.  Needless to say, when customers ask for my help on ebay now, I basically freeze.  "Ebay is not like it used to be!", I say. "Yeah, I've heard that!" they reply.  It's so discouraging and depressing I feel better if I don't say anything; otherwise it's like I'm making excuses for them.

by: mjr55 This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jan 12 23:32:00 2022

As usual....something is missing from the story.

Seller could have easily declined return if it was opened as buyer's remorse and he had a no returns policy. What likely happened is OP assumed it was buyer's remorse but the buyer's story was that the computer was not working. I am sure they opened it for a SNAD reason and then the OP either didn't reply to the case or just didn't follow the correct procedure that 99% of us here know how to follow.

by: ib1 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jan 13 01:18:29 2022

I've sold one or two laptops on eBay, and fortunately did not have any issue like the seller.
I don't know how the seller posted his listing on eBay, but for me, when I post a laptop on eBay, I make sure to take picture front, back, side, screen of the laptop, and also several picture of the screen of the laptop showing that it was running, including battery fully charged.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Thu Jan 13 02:17:50 2022

Josh,

What did you expect?  They report to the credit bureaus too.

As far as your computer goes, you can file a Small Claims case if you desire to go that direction.

This is an horrible side affect of how Ebay currently has the return rules set up.  Because you refused to take the return is why Ebay didn't require them to return it.  That is something you never want to do as this can happen.  Simply not worth it.

They changed the claims process in October of 2018 to the Simplified Return Program.  It has been nothing but trouble every since.  Worse than EVER before.  You have to learn how to best navigate it to survive it.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Thu Jan 13 02:19:42 2022

On Ebay a No Return Policy simply will not work if your buyer opens a SNAD.  ALL return policies must meet or exceed what is covered in the MBG.

You could decline a Buyer's remorse return, but never a SNAD.

by: johnny This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jan 13 03:26:17 2022

https://www.ftc.gov/   Time for this agency to do their damn job!

by: Fried Chicken Addiction This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jan 13 04:51:18 2022

This happened to me. Here's what you do.  I sold a brand new large style ink jet cartilage to a buyer in Puerto Rico. It was never taken out of the box and was just a few months old. I didn't think I was set up to sell anywhere outside the lower 48, as I thought eBay saved my shipping preferences...I thought wrong.
But I gave this buyer a chance anyway. About a two weeks after arrival the seller contacted me and said the cartridge did not work and they wanted their money back. Since the thing was new I had the listing set as no returns. Regardless being the wonderful nice person that I am, I told the buyer to send it back and I would see what I could do.
A week or so later the thing came back, not in its original box, just wrapped in paper and shoved in a large 12x18 envelope.
It was not a new cartilage, it had dust all over it and the metal guides showed heavy signs of use.
So I, the seller, before anything else went down, informed eBay that this was happening along with plenty of photos of my sealed box, my shipping box when I shipped it at the post office and the old piece of junk they sent back.
Sure enough after several exchanges with the buyer, (who happened to run a used computer/printer shop there in Puerto Rico, I looked up their address in Google images) they filed a complaint.
Ebay sited in my favor and not only did I get to keep my $80 bucks I also had their junky used cartridge that they had to pay to send back...
Moral of the story-
DON'T SELL ANY ELECTRONIC THINGEES ON EBAY!
Assume everyone is out to scam you and you have better things to do with your life than deal with used electronic crap...go read a good book, I recommend Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel.
If you do sell fairly expensive electronic thingees on eBay, take pictures of  your packing, take a picture of it at the shipping counter and try your best to know who you are sending the thingee too.
And then when all that is over and done with don't forget NOW the I.R.S is gonna want their piece of the eBay pie at the end of the year or they are gonna come and take your car, your kids, your pets, your toilet seat and all that Campbell's Soup you hoarded for the Covid apocalypses...so again,
just read a good book, it's way better :)

by: Fried Chicken Addiction This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jan 13 05:37:54 2022

Seriously, stick yo your guns. If you have it set at no returns and the item you sent them was exactly as described, end of story. Do not let the buyer or eBay man-handle you, stand your ground and fight. You did the right.
If they say it is faulty have them send it back, inspect it and go from there. The last electronic thingee I sold on eBay was a Sony Handi Cam, worked great, sold it, the fellow got it, said it didn't work. told him to send it back, sure enough it finally died, refunded him, Handi Cam went in the trash...all these modern (past 40 years) electronic things are designed to have a certain shelf life and when that time is up they quite-period.
I started selling on eBay in 1998 when it all started. Be like John Wayne toilet paper-rough, tough and don't take no **** off anybody.
People buy things then find it cheaper afterwards, that's what happened to you bet money...you did the right thing.

This user has validated their user name. by: LasVagueness

Thu Jan 13 07:27:57 2022

Josh, was it buyers remorse or a nonworking computer? Either way, there’s not much eBay can do if you closed your account. This would take forever to wind its way through court in Covid times. Possession is 9/10 of the law and if you don’t have the computer back you no longer own it. eBay is going to have to eat this one, but you may have a significant ding on your credit report.

by: 1desertrat1 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jan 13 11:50:44 2022

file a complaint with the FBI internet crime complaint department. save pdf copies and send them to the buyer (i blacked out personal information like my phone number and email address so the buyer didn't have that info). also file a report with your local police department and include that in the complaint. a huge part of the problem is that buyers get away with this all the time and ebay is doing nothing to stop them. buyers think they are untouchable and anonymous. you need to remind them that they are not and will get into trouble.
link to the fbi online fraud complaint center: