Thu Sept 23 2021 16:00:24

Terminated Etsy Seller Seeks Answers and Advice

By: Reader

Recently I noticed my Etsy account was flagged as suspended. I notified them asking what had happened or what I had done. They replied that they would take a week and look into it and decide what would happen to my account.

The next week I got an email saying they'd terminated my account due to abuse of terms or service or House Rules. They didn't say what I did. But of course they can close the account for any reason. They also told me they would not respond to any other inquiries on the account and if I try to open another account it will also be terminated.

I don't believe I've broken any rules, I've not paid anyone, I've not tried to hack anything, I've not even put up bad reviews!

Any idea why this might have happened or what I could do to find out or get an account would be appreciated.
D.

Perminate Link for Terminated Etsy Seller Seeks Answers and Advice   Terminated Etsy Seller Seeks Answers and Advice

by: 1 Angry Artist This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 23 19:08:59 2021

You have to give a lot more details if you really want help from people who read this blog.    I have no idea what you're talking about - your letter is so vague.

First of all - what do you sell?

That would be a good start, then we can make suggestions as to help you.

by: Snapped This user has validated their user name.

Fri Sep 24 03:27:18 2021

Well…there’s no telling.  Apparently.

by: hopeforthebest This user has validated their user name.

Fri Sep 24 04:54:32 2021

Why do YOU think this happened?

Two possibilities: You know what you did and are pretending not to know, or you're completely clueless about it.

Obvious stuff could be repeatedly trying to sell items to which you don't own the copyright, such as counterfeit trademarked items, or intellectual property infringements, more than 2-5% bad feedback as a seller, lots of charge-backs or a pattern of troubled purchases as a buyer including excessive returns, etc.

Less obvious stuff could be mismatched credit card, bank account and credit card name that Etsy payments has flagged as fraudulent, items not marked as shipped and/or missing tracking, and similar issues.

You'll need to provide more information for us to tell you for sure, but the odds are pretty good you know what you did, or strongly suspect what you did.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Fri Sep 24 14:26:16 2021

@D. (the OP) - Did you file an appeal?

I looked at some Etsy help pages, and they suspend accounts for re-selling handmade items, having an unpaid balance due, and a few other reasons. Supposedly, they tell you right in the suspension email what the issue was, not a vague "you violated the terms of service." I agree with others who stated you know what the reason was. You should post exactly what the email stated.

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Fri Sep 24 17:51:56 2021

Get over it.
Go out and get Real World employment.

by: billly This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 27 04:31:19 2021

Read the Seller Handbook for starters and don't assume that just because there are millions of other shops that function as resellers of non-handmade, non-vintage crap that you will be one of the chosen, ignored earners with first page placement.

by: Frenchsilverfox This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 27 12:26:13 2021

I have exactly the same thing happened to me, The yshut down my seller account without telling me. I found out because I was not selling anything for awhile and I wanted to to sell more things but could not upload the pictures.
I first contacted them and they told me my account was not suspended but I still could not put any new items. I contacted them after another week and they email me back:
"After a comprehensive review of your account, Etsy has determined it violates our Terms of Service or House Rules. As a result, Etsy has permanently closed your account.
Please do not open any additional accounts for buying or selling, as they will be closed without notice.
This decision is final and we will not respond to any further outreach about your account. This email constitutes our final communication on this matter."

I did asked them why but they sent me the same email again!
I have been selling on Etsy for a few years  and I never had any problems.

by: Stone Cutter This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 27 13:07:55 2021

And yet, what was the seller selling? Lately, Etsy's been cleaning house.

by: Sierra This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 27 13:37:51 2021

Etsy has been closing a LOT of accounts lately WITHOUT informing the sellers which rule the seller supposedly broke. The sellers who I've seen posts from have, thus far, claimed to have not been selling trademark-infringing items. Unless Etsy's policy recently changed, they are not in the habit of closing shops for infringement or potential infringement without a DMCA being filed. If a DMCA is filed, I believe the seller is supposed to receive contact information for the person or company which filed the claim.

It would be easier to try and help the OP if they had provided more information.

by: fusgeyer This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 27 14:54:31 2021

@D.
Etsy can and does close shops without warning and without giving you a whole lot of details. First, it is in their handbook and seller contract that they can close your shop pretty much at will.

Top reasons shops are closed:
1) infringement of IP. It could be too many strikes or one company claims you have multiple items that are infringing. Each item counts as a single strike.

2) You did not respond to an email about your account status.

3) You are selling an item that is against Etsy's policies - this includes guns and anything mentioning guns for the most part, anything promoting smoking (tobacco pipes are not included in this) anything about creating explosives or promoting explosives), Anything the bots think are in violation

4) Your shop was inactive for a very long time and you never responded to an email - vacation mode is different

5) you have less than 10 items in your shop

6) Your credit card or bank account information is out of date

7) They cannot verify your business name, or your tax ID

8) They considered your shop "high risk".

I am not sure if this helps, but you should be able to appeal the decision. That should have been done when they first suspended you.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Tue Sep 28 12:23:28 2021

Etsy is not in any way the company that they were when they came on the ecommerce scene.   It's really quite sad.   So many sellers were happy then.

This is what happens when a company goes public and is beholden to Wall Street.