Sat Sept 4 2021 09:26:32

eBay GSP Practice Undercuts Seller's Pricing

Good morning! I have a question neither eBay nor Pitney Bowes seems willing to answer. I'll try to make a long story short.

I sold a pocket knife to a guy in Spain through eBay's global shipping program. Pocket knives evidently can't go to Spain. So eBay notifies me, allows me to keep the money and then refunds the buyer.

The knife is then put back on eBay through a third party. They use my active ad, my pictures, my description..etc. They undercut my price on the remaining pocket knives from that listing.

My question to both companies was, how are these things sold? Is the third party bidding on the items? Are they sold by contract? Is eBay competing with its own active sellers using their active ads?

No one could tell me how the items are ending back up on eBay. If the ads are no longer active, it's probably not an issue. But it looks like thousands of items get caught in the GSP system.

Do you have any idea how that process works? I'm beyond curious.

Thanks for your time!
Scot

Editor's Note: We delved into this issue in 2014 in this EcommerceBytes Newsflash article.

Perminate Link for eBay GSP Practice Undercuts Seller's Pricing   eBay GSP Practice Undercuts Seller's Pricing

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Sat Sep 4 13:48:32 2021

Ebay needs to fold.

by: postbuster This user has validated their user name.

Sat Sep 4 16:36:55 2021

@OP

The same thing happened to my listings when I sold on ebay.
Some 3rd party ''company'' had been stealing my images to list for their own ''advertising''.
When I clicked on the listing, a completely different product was offered.
That is false advertising, and furthermore it's defamation of my character.
If my items were to be listed again on ebay (and they won't), buyers who have been fooled the first time wouldn't even bother because they now think that the listing isn't genuine.

The irony is that this same fraud company is actually IN CALIFORNIA nearby ebay!
I researched them some few years back and even messaged them. (with no reply of course)
I would have reported them if I 1.) knew who to make the claim  2.) had faith that something would be done to shut those crooks down

by: postbuster This user has validated their user name.

Sat Sep 4 16:55:49 2021

It was Picclick!
I found my items through Google Images.
They are some kind of affiliate to ebay.

Though they are not so nearby (about 7hr drive or 500 mi) in La Jolla, CA.
Closer than I live, as I'm on the east coast. : )

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Sun Sep 5 10:28:49 2021

@Scot (the OP) - A pocket knife is probably classified as a weapon, so it's reasonable that the GSP flagged your package since I can't imagine that a knife could be sent to any country. There are sites on the internet which detail what items can be imported into each country so it would be a good idea to familiarize yourself with those rules and block buyers from countries where your products cannot be mailed.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Mon Sep 6 02:00:45 2021

@Scot

Exactly what is the problem really?  You didn't lose any money.  Ebay made sure you were whole.  Who cares if they sold the product using a third party seller.  In what way did that harm you or cost you money?  Is the lower price affecting your sales of the same item on your listings?

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Mon Sep 6 12:51:09 2021

@Marie - I think the heart of Scot's issue is this:

"They use my active ad, my pictures, my description..etc. They undercut my price on the remaining pocket knives from that listing."

I would be concerned that potential buyers might look at both listings, see they are exactly the same, and wonder what sort of scam this seller was pulling. And before you say potential buyers could see there were two different sellers, unless the one is listed as Pitney Bowes (greatstuffcheapprices no longer appears to sell on eBay) that could cause a lot of confusion since sellers can have more than one selling account.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Mon Sep 6 14:04:25 2021

@jack

It could be, but we should all be aware that per the UA and the TOS of Ebay, they are allowed to do that.  If someone is just learning this the hard way, I understand how disappointing it can be.  Yet not a lot can be done about it.

by: BubbaLou This user has validated their user name.

Tue Sep 7 07:25:13 2021

I had that happen with a Lizard skin purse going to Japan and I forgot to shorten the item title on the customs form so it still had the word ''skin'' in it and it couldn't go to Japan. I actually was contacted by the 2nd buyer because the original packing slip was left in the purse and they also forwarded me the listing. It was sold by a seller in Kentucky so my best guess was that Pitney Bowes may sell the merchandise that they can't ship, or it's all sold off at some point as some sort of liquidation sale or auction. I'm sure they have some fine print that specifies what happens if an item can't be shipped. My item was sold for quite a bit less than what I sold it for but it was sold as an auction and mine was a fixed price. The buyer contacted me because they were confused by the packing slip and concerned that it might have been stolen.