Mon July 26 2021 11:51:37

eBay Seller Hit by Low-Feedback Buyer Who Won't Pay

By: Reader

eBay at one time had a listing option that was in essence: "block bids from potential buyers with a feedback rating of less than 5."

Did that get purged with the newer "we love buyers, sellers not so much" corporate strategy?

I've been screwed again by low-feedback buyers that won't pay.
Thanks!
Jim

Perminate Link for eBay Seller Hit by Low-Feedback Buyer Who Won't Pa   eBay Seller Hit by Low-Feedback Buyer Who Won't Pa

by: Silver Ice King This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 26 13:52:03 2021

That option went away so long ago I cannot remember when.  At least we still had the option of blocking buyers who had 2 or more unpaid item claims, but that will also be going away down the line now that Ebay has changed how they handle non paying buyers.  Now everything is in Ebay's hands to determine whether a buyer is able to make purchases on their site unless you add them to your block list, which they just circumvent by opening another Ebay account and using that to buy from you.

Ebay is never going to punish a buyer for anything which is the real reason they changed the way unpaid items are handled.  They claim it was to make things easier for the seller, which it does do, but it also takes another protection away from Sellers in the form of blocking buyers who have to many unpaid items.  Just another sign of the desperation that Ebays executives have in their efforts to justify the ridiculous year end bonuses.

by: AddyUp This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 26 16:14:46 2021

The only one I remember that's still there is the block buyers with a feedback of -1 or less. Which is pointless these days as buyers can only get positive feedback.

Anyway it never worked for me as despite having it set, I once had a buyer with a feedback of -2. Didn't have any problems with them though.

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Mon Jul 26 17:00:45 2021

Talk to this guy , Joe Demarco. Seasoned Ebay Seller :

by: HappyOne This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 27 10:46:29 2021

As an Ebay Bidder/Buyer seems like many of my bids are being run up by bidders with a FB less than 5. It appears they are not paying as I’m getting a few second chance offers or item is relisted, When I questioned two sellers they both said winning bidder did not pay and Ebay did not offer them the second chance offer. I think games are being played in the three categories that I am bidding in with “straw” bidder?

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Tue Jul 27 11:54:58 2021

With Mangled Payments I don't even turn in non payers anymore.

eBay knows who paid and who hasn't and since I'm not charged if they don't pay why should I care. I just relist the item and move on.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Wed Jul 28 02:39:06 2021

Ebay has NEVER had any such buyer requirement available to sellers on most transactions.

In the Buyer requirements if you select that you will allow a buyer to purchase from 1-100 [your choice] from you in a 10 day period, then and only then can you select to block buyers with less than 0-5 [you choose] feedback.

That does NOT apply to every purchase from your account it ONLY applies to those that are purchasing multiple items from you in a 10 day period.  You select how many items that can be.

This has nothing to do with MP.  This is an option we have had for a very long time.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Wed Jul 28 02:40:19 2021

@toolguy

It would still be important to cancel the transaction so you don't risk reselling it to someone else and then the buyer from the original transaction pays.  Then you are in a pickle if you only had one item.  No need to risk that, just cancel the transaction.  You can now do that for non payment after 4 days.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jul 28 18:52:53 2021

Its all irrelevant since eBay (aka the San Jose Mafia) refuses to see sellers (who actually pay the bills and keep the lights on) as customers.

Regardless of your personal feelings on eBay and how it operates, theres no denying that eBay steps on sellers and treats them like what you find on the bottom of your shoe - all while telling you how much they are doing for YOU.

NOT ONE THING eBay has done in the last 10 years (or longer since the "noise" complaint)(eBay wants sheep not sellers aka true partners) helps sellers, NOT ONE.

Ok I can hear the cheerleaders screaming about various programs eBay has created that LOOK like its about sellers, but if you follow the money - its about eBay.

Here, its non paying bozos. Non paying buyers shouldnt exist in 2021, since eBay is %100 in control of "the money" (which was all MP was REALLY about)(control). You have a buying account? then like every OTHER place - you enter your payment info when you sign up. Dont pay? then eBay debits you - after all eBays TOS says that a sale is between a buyer and seller and that its a contract between them ... SO WHY THE HECK NOT?

Oh yeh, cause eBay is afraid of buyers and hurting their feelings (poor babies) ... funny how the "GOD OF ECOMMERCE" aka Amazon isnt afraid to get payment info UP FRONT .......

Its easier to steal money from sellers to fund your bar, where you can sit and laugh at "those stupid sellers who give us all their money", then do any actual work. eBay has %50+ too many employees .... and still nothing gets done.

It wont change if thats what you are expecting .... eBay MUST meet Wall Street numbers - and people like Seekingalpha and all the other "sharks" (yeh the geniuses who didnt ese Lehman and Madoff) all tell you that eBay is CHEAP at 70!

Its great till you run out of sellers money ... and the fake numbers they give the SEC can only be stretched so far ...........

by: Paul W This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 29 00:33:37 2021

Since my listings are nearly all MQ FP I ignore unpaid items and let eBay take care of it.  Time-saver for me.
I have very few unpaid items anyway.

This user has validated their user name. by: Lightning

Thu Jul 29 01:55:34 2021

There was a time in ''Ebay of olde'' that you COULD block bidding from users who had low feedback.  You could choose the score that would trigger the block, like zero or -1, or worse.  Or you could require a specific minimum feedback to be able to bid, like more than 5, if you wanted.  I used it all the time, as it was a general selling preference you could set.  But that was quite a long time ago.

If people got blocked, they could email you to explain why their feedback is wonky, and ask you to remove the block.  If you bought their story, you could add them to your ''allowed bidder list'' to circumvent the block.  No such control anymore - eBay will tell us what to do, but not pay for the blow-back.

Now it is as Marie states - very specific, conditional, very dysfunctional, useless (like eBay itself).

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 29 04:11:56 2021

The answer is simple for Ebay, but they still don't know how to do it:  Do like Posh and Mercari - charge the credit card once the bid is won or the offer is accepted.  Simple.

by: Bparty This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 29 08:24:21 2021

"charge the credit card once the bid is won or the offer is accepted.  Simple. "
SO True.  Every other ecommerce site in the world does that. How darn hard can it be?
I remember a very, very long time ago when they were rolling out some BS talking to a "business" lady at ebay who was trying to convince me that whatever change was being made that was apparently not working out...was exactly for the above reason - so that when someone purchased, the charge was made and it was a done deal.

by: JimBob This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 29 08:35:55 2021

Thanks folks!
Yes it was a very long time ago that I used that feature
(i've been on ebay for over 20 years)  and I didn't notice it no longer existed until it bit me.................

I guess it's like that movie Matilda:
Ebay is big, we're small
Ebay is smart, we're dumb
Ebay is right, we're wrong....
and there's nothing we can do about it....   :-/

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Thu Jul 29 15:12:03 2021

@chicago48

Does Mercari and Posmark have auctions?  I don't use the sites, so I'm just asking.  I thought they were all fixed price, buy it now type listings.

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 29 15:52:26 2021

Merc & Posh are fixed price.  But they have Make AN Offer and when you the seller accept the offer, the buyer's is charged immediately.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Thu Jul 29 16:02:00 2021

@Chicago

Thank you for the information.  That is however different from requiring payment on an auction.  Ebay allows for seller to decide if they want IPR [immediate payment required] on fixed price listings.  So that is a seller's choice.

I agree that Ebay could and should do something on when an offer is made and accepted as that could easily, IMHO, be treated as an IPR.

Not quite as easy on an auction.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Thu Jul 29 16:03:51 2021

It isn't as easy for an auction because if the buyer's CC was pinged to be able to confirm the availability of funds on the card, that would be on the starting price of the auction.  As we all know the end price can be significantly different.  So when the CC is ran at the end, the payment could be declined because there wasn't funds available.

by: lilycarver This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 2 00:29:50 2021

I recently posted how eBay cancelled a few items I won for "non payment" despite my long time agreement with both sellers to build up a stash of stills which are easy and cheap to ship. I managed to get the items but was blocked from bidding from one of them even though he personally spoke to eBay to try to sort it out. In any event today I set up a 2nd eBay account to bid ones that were blocking me ( automatically as I had dealt with the sellers for years) I was stunned as it took like 90 seconds. I used the same name and address and just a different email. I am in fact a reliable buyer and payer but this is nuts

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Mon Aug 2 01:40:33 2021

@lilycarver

It may be because your old account got too many unpaid strikes against it, that would cause the block.  Sellers can set up in their site preferences to block buyer with a certain amount of unpaid strikes in the past six months or Year.  Depending on what the seller wants to do.

There is also a place where a seller can override that setting by adding you to their approved buyer list.  Email your seller and ask if they would be willing to do that.  It is likely that they will be happy to do that and then you can still use your old account.

Your new account, be careful with it.  It is against the Ebay rules to open up a new account in order to get around some block or other situation on Ebay.  They will link your accounts at some point.  If you get your new one in trouble, that will also get your old account in trouble once the link them.

It has always been that easy to open another account on Ebay.

Just know that Ebay did not set up this new rule about cancelling sales just to annoy you.  It is one rule that is for everyone to comply with.  If you have a long standing relationship with your seller, ask them how they would like to deal with this situation.  Maybe they would set aside certain things for you and then bill you all at once by creating a single listing for you to purchase from for everything you wanted.  Or something.  They can likely get creative for you.

Good Luck.

by: lilycarver This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 2 03:22:11 2021

yes some of this was discussed in the previous thread. the crazy thing is I had longstanding agreements with both sellers that I was accused of non payment and orders were "cancelled" saying the sellers had done it and they had not.Both contacted ebay and yet I am still said to have been a "non payer"  I think of it as sign that I buy too much and I actually cut back for a month or so.
I appreciate the heads up re the 2nd account but it was probably a one time use and I can cancel it after the order is done,