Thu June 3 2021 16:11:41

Where Can You Sell Antiques and Still Be Profitable?

By: Reader

With eBay moving away from their original vision and trying more and more to become a site for new, mass produced items, where are seller listing their nice antique items?

I tried Ruby Lane a few years ago, but the fees ate up all my profits. I'm hoping that other sellers can enlighten me.
Thanks,
A Reader

Perminate Link for Where Can You Sell Antiques and Still Be Profitabl   Where Can You Sell Antiques and Still Be Profitabl

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Fri Jun 4 07:31:46 2021

Please PLEASE consider making your own website.
Study search engine optimization.
Right now, it's a viable alternative to these rip off venues.
Took me only a few months to get a nice work flow for my stuff from my own site.
There is no need to do business with any of these venues.
Come out of the chute on your own, and you will dominate the search for your stuff.

by: horsewhistles This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jun 4 11:28:45 2021

We have had great success with Chairish.  We also have our own website, but no other venue comes close to the antique/vintage sales we get on Chairish.  Prices we get are better, customers are less troublesome than on ebay, shipping has several options, they handle all large freight item logistics (furniture).   It does take time to get ramped up, but it is worth the work.

by: quirkyantiques This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jun 4 14:34:41 2021

@the end-which site did you use? I started a wix stand alone but getting traffic is tough. I am google indexed. @A reader-I am selling a LOT of good quality antiques on Etsy. The 5% fee is fine, not so fine when you get nailed for 17% fee because someone clicked a google ad. If it weren't for the offsite ad program I would stay on Etsy. Because of offsite ads I am trying to build my own web site but its super hard to get any traffic. I am also on Ruby lane but traffic there tanked for me and the fees just seem to mount up higher and higher. Right now Etsy is my go-to selling site.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Fri Jun 4 14:56:31 2021

@A Reader (the OP) - I always suggest that sellers looking for a new venue try eCrater. I checked and there are currently over 53K listings in the antique category. It doesn't cost anything to open a store, and the only fees you ever pay are to send your listings to search engines. Best of all, eCrater doesn't tell you how to run your business; you decide if you want to accept returns or not. And you can choose between PayPal and Stripe to process your payments, not payments going to eBay or Etsy and then getting paid when they decide.

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Sat Jun 5 10:06:57 2021

Hi quirkyantiques ;
Yes eCrater is the Best selling environment. The grapevine is now the best conduit to drive traffic.
Meanwhile, I use a stand alone website creation software that comes on 3 CD's.
I'm sure there is an equivalent to that now.....
You MUST educate yourself in website creation. Google it, do it.
Selling online is not for the faint of heart.
I see alot of people with alot of gripes unwilling to do the work to better their situation.
Study, Study, Study.
No Study, No improvement of the situation.
Get To Work.
Life is Good   :o)

by: DingDong This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jun 6 07:48:47 2021

There are still places that let you be the boss of your shop on their marketplace.  You will need to do work in promoting yourself and getting your up to date on SEO.

I left eBay last year, and about 2 years ago, re-establish myself on eBid. I like it and I promote myself.  I wish I had the extra monies to do my own website, but . . . . .

I also left eCrater.  I thought 6 years ago that they would be updating that site and they did very few things. Some updating is such minor programming that they would have to do. Their are those that have problems with Paypal payments that the sellers thinks it sold 3 times, but it's just the payment didn't go through. I had this happen to me on eCrater twice.

by: Sierra This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 7 01:27:49 2021

Have you tried selling in FB selling groups? Noooo, not your local ''yard sale'' type group. Find a group that focuses on what you sell, the style or type of item. There are selling groups for Halloween collectibles and Christmas ornaments, as well as groups for many different styles (farmhouse, primitive, and more I'm sure). There are FB groups which are run as auctions and others are BIN (buy it now). There are several groups which host monthly auctions lasting 2 or 3 hours (talk about short and sweet!). If you can't find the group you want, you can start your own group!

by: phil-k This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 7 03:17:10 2021

Ebid is very cheap compared to the others, but you do have to do your own promoting and you will get sales

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 7 05:43:34 2021

There's a site that I saw on Youtube "Hibid" or Hi Bid. Youtube sellers gave a report and review of the site.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeMov_vwQ0k&t=405s
and
htt
ps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x23egIfP_YA&t=602s

by: icollect This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 7 06:53:15 2021

If you are looking for a site where you can have a store with a flat monthly fee look at icollect247.com.  List your items and sell directly to buyers, no middle man. List hundreds of items and accept different types of payments.  This is like having your own website.  However, you can only sell vintage items before 1990, no reproductions or limited editions are allowed. Truly the old fashion type of website.

by: Jtr62301 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 7 09:17:16 2021

I would like to second Icollect247.com which is for antiques and vintage. I was a satisfied member years ago, and left selling online due to health problems. As I have regain my health I signed up once again on Icollect. One of the biggest (and best) area of improvements is how well this venue is placing on Google Shopping. The owners don't stop there in their promoting the group, they advertise in other antique type publications. Additionally, the owners are there to respond to any questions you may have within a very reasonable time frame.

by: Nothingnewecrater This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 7 09:19:08 2021

@Chairish site. 30% is an extreme fee. I will stick with ecrater. My sales started picking up a couple months ago. EBay is dead flat for me. I'm down to 13 items on eBay and 702 on ecrater and adding more everyday. But overall its really slow online everywhere. Its not 1998 anymore. I noticed in my Fakebook groups more people posting single items and less and less yard sales. When there are more sellers then buyers selling is harder.

by: Sierra This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 7 10:26:27 2021

@Nothingnewecrater - There are (still) millions of people out of work due to the pandemic. Rental assistance, etc. is ending (or has ended) for some of them. They're struggling, so selling their stuff is probably how they're keeping their bills paid.

I sell handmade items (nothing anyone ''needs'') and my sales are doing ok, so there are still shoppers spending money!!

by: horsewhistles This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 7 11:16:00 2021

Chairish commission is 30% for up to 10 listings, 20% once you pass that and tiered commission for items over $2000.  No listing fees, as with all venues you price your items to make a profit.  You will see Chairish listings high on goggle searches and you can research the sold items in their "pink book" but you do have to sign up for access to that info.  Their customer service department also handles any and all buyer issues so you don't have to deal with it.

We did antique shows, antique malls and other online venues for years and have never done as well as we are doing on Chairish, not just in volume but in overall prices.  Different types of inventory require different venues, we use Chairish for art/antiques/vintage decor, Ebay for the more collectible items and Etsy for specific collectibles.

The biggest hurdle was getting enough items listed to keep a steady stream of income flowing.  Since Chairish is a juried site, it can take a while to get a feel for what they will accept.  They can be picky for new vendors, we had alot of items declined at first until we got the hang of what they were looking for,  in the long run this maintains the quality of items listed.  If you have good quality vintage, art and antiques you will do well.  A plus for ebay sellers is that you have experience in writing good descriptions, know how to pack safely for shipping and a keen sense on how to avoid buyer compaints with good photos.

by: Chalky This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 7 13:23:06 2021

Ruby Lane used to bring in soooo much money for me.  Starting in 2014, traffic started to slow and now...... it's sad.  Sales barely pay the site rent and cost of goods.  I understand their need to add the fee but it's killing the site.

A month or so ago, they sent a questionnaire asking if they should go to the $50 a month for unlimited listings + a 10% (I think) fee.  So they know that sellers are hurting.

Etsy is doing okay but nothing like Ruby Lane used to be.

Ebay.  Well, I think I sold $20 or $30 worth last month.  Two sales.

I personally cannot survive on these sales.  I know that the more I list, the more I can and will sell but I am VERY slow.  Etsy is a freaking nightmare for listing unique items because of the endless title and requirement for "tags".

I would LOVE to have my own website but I have heard nothing but tales of woe.  Very difficult to build (even with Shopify and Wix and Big Commerce), near impossible to drive traffic, a year or more before you even make enough in a month to cover the cost.  Now how appetizing does that sound?

People brag about starting their own website and say they are doing well but WHAT are you selling?  And WHAT is your definition of "well".  I do not consider anything below $4000 a month doing well.  And that's $4000 for ALL the sites not just one.

I'm scared all the time now......

This user has validated their user name. by: epuise

Mon Jun 7 14:36:13 2021

Every uninformed newbie is supplementing their paycheck, unemployment, disability, or pension by buying at thrifts & sales and flipping... They don't pay taxes... Don't pay rent... Don't ship so they gain an all cash income, and, drive prices down for REAL Antique & Vintage SMALL BUSINESSES who acquire, CLEAN, fix, RESEARCH & STAND BEHIND the product... It was made WORSE by the Pandemic Lockdown... AMATEURS... It's why many of us are getting OUT of 'the business'... Can't sell a REAL ANTIQUE alongside a mis-represented, dirty, rusty "Made In China'".

by: horsewhistles This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 7 14:45:01 2021

The antiques/vintage market has changed alot over the last decade.  It is more of a decorative market these days with fewer and fewer "collectors", venues that don't adjust are going to lose out.  Listing OOAK items is very time consuming regardless of your venue, but if its not listed it can't sell.  You just have to decide where to put your time because it takes just as much effort to list & ship a $25 item as it does a $250 piece.

It is a difficult commitment to make in this category, but those of us who have been in the antique business for years and still have alot of inventory have very few options.  We don't want to do shows anymore, malls are a lossing bet, so it is online or sell out with an auction or living estate sale.  We have always enjoyed the buying and selling, its just that tiresome work inbetween we could live without.  We finally decided to send alot of our lower value inventory to auction, knowing we would get very little.  We didn't make much but it was really nice to have the extra space and lighten our load to a managable level.  Hire help if you have to, the stress is not worth it.

We do have a website, and have a few customers that make it profitable to keep.  Most of our Chairish customers know about the website but still prefer to use Chairish for their purchases.  Across all the venues we use we do "very well", it took a couple years of work to get there but it was worth it.

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Mon Jun 7 19:01:49 2021

WOW ! ! !
Just "came back" from searching various terms for my items in the Google Search Window :
My stuff is ALL OVER the Freakin' web   :o)
I'm not paying a Dime.
You can't go to a page and NOT see my stuff.
Thanks Google !

by: christy s This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jun 8 08:53:45 2021

Try youtube auctions.. they are hot right now.
Find people who sell similar to what you have and buddy up with them.. some may have a buddy to auction with on some days but would like to sell on more days/times.  Get to know them by talking, bidding, etc. then email them about joining in after you have built up some reputation.  Before you know it, you will need to hunt down more inventory!!