Thu June 3 2021 16:07:47

eBay Shipping Calculator Cost Seller Triple FedEx Rate

By: Reader

You wrote, "eBay's Buyer Growth team is looking for a seasoned Engineering Manager to work on key parts of eBay like the home page, my ebay, global header and growth experiences."

Maybe eBay is desperate to find new sellers to replace the ones that won't do business with them anymore like me?

They may want to focus on customer service and seller retention for a change. They will just keep losing sellers (and buyers) if they keep treating sellers like they have me and others.

They have already lost many times the revenue just from me after they let FedEx almost triple the cost of shipping over what their shipping calculator estimated on a single sale. What a lame way to do business.
Joe

Note from the editor: eBay set up a help page on this issue with FedEx charges in its "knowledge base" feature:

Why was I charged more on my invoice for a FedEx label than the original estimate?
If you see a charge for a FedEx label that is different from the initial quote, the package type, dimensions or weight provided when the label was created may have differed from what FedEx received. There are also sometimes additional fees that may be assessed based on factors such as delivery location or size. You can review the actual cost by following the steps below:

To view on your Shipping Labels page:

1) Go to Shipping Labels in Sell or Seller Hub
2) Change the date range to 60 days and search by Buyer ID, Tracking Number, or Item Number
3) Once the search is complete, you can click on the Label Cost and view the shipment details

To view on your Seller Invoice:

1) Go to My eBay > Account > Summary
2) Choose the invoice for the date the label was purchased, and select Go
3) Once on the invoice, you can use CTRL+F to find the Tracking Number or Item Number
4) Dimensions will not show on the invoice, so you may need to go to www.FedEx.com (see steps below)

To view on the FedEx site:

1) Go to www.FedEx.com
2) Select your location
3) Input the tracking number and select Track
4) The package details will be displayed near the bottom of the page

If you believe that charges are being incorrectly calculated and you printed your label on www.eBay.com, contact Customer Service, we may be able to submit a dispute on your behalf.

Perminate Link for eBay Shipping Calculator Cost Seller Triple FedEx   eBay Shipping Calculator Cost Seller Triple FedEx

by: Gumball This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 7 04:15:01 2021

I am very careful about shipping with Fedex. I measure my box and make sure that any part of an inch is added as a full inch in size. That way, I am not calculating the wrong size. Too many sellers think it is okay to leave off that quarter inch, but it is not. So far, so good.  Knock on wood.

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 7 05:58:19 2021

There's an easy fix and Mercari has it.  They have Fedex Smartpost as a shipping option and it cost $7.99 up to 3 lbs.  You take the package to either Fedex or USPS.  It's going to take about 7 to 10 days to arrive.  But it's comparable to Priority mail in price.  I use it a lot.  As well as UPS, which has rates comparable to priority mail.
I don't know if OP ships over 3 lbs, but there are alternatives.  Just go to another site to buy your postage like Stamps.com.

by: leavingNY This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 7 08:12:48 2021

I am VERY careful about measuring my package and weighing it up to the next pound. When you go to print the FED EX label through Ebay shipping it gives you the price after you put in all the correct information about weight and dimensions. Right under the price they give to you, it says that Ebay saves you xx% usually in the 40% range. Ebay needs to be sued for this because they are directly lying to you about the % that Ebay puts in writing you are actually saving. Its called bait and switch. This is illegal to advertise a price then change it to sometimes double the amount that Ebay shipping tells the sellers it is going to charge. BAIT and SWITCH is causing sellers to purchase Fedex labels when if they told you the truth, you would choose a different mail service. This is FRAUD

by: fusgeyer This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 7 10:12:26 2021

You do need to measure, but your boxes should have the outside dimensions on it. Unless it is overstuffed, those measurements are fine.

I use ShipStation for all of my shipping. It links across most seller platforms and you can link your FedEx, UPS, USPS and other shipping accounts to it. You get really good rates, but you pay for the service. I like the control I have with it and that I can print out all my shipping labels, from different selling platforms, in a single run.

by: spooky This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 7 10:25:14 2021

it has to be the "dim weight". 1" over can change price astronomically

by: rfm This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 7 10:58:54 2021

The real problem is not FedEx or UPS, it's going through ebay to use them.  Ebay FedEx never worked properly, the calculator often is wrong, and ebay has little or no protocol for handling many problems.

Use you own FedEx or UPS account.  Then you can deal directly with the carrier to solve problems.  Current discounts may not be quite as good as ebay, but just one mess up makes any ebay discount worthless.

by: joenet This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 7 14:01:18 2021

More details on the sale:

Sale price $20.96+ Shipping (buyer paid $11.21)
FedEx increased the shipping charge to $29.18 based on the identical weight and dimensions I used in ebay's shipping calculator.

Breakdown of shipping charge per FedEx:
Home Delivery $11.58
Additional handling $14.00
Peak handling charge $3.00
Residential delivery $3.26
Fuel surcharge $2.10
Discount ($4.76)
Total shipping $29.18

Following the sale, and after ebay’s 15% take, I was notified of my loss due to ebay’s irrelevant shipping calculator. I received this from ebay “This is a notice to inform you that we will be debiting $1.58 from your bank account” I felt like I had been robbed by ebay and FedEx.

Why take the chance of selling anything on ebay if it could result in a loss??
I have suspended doing any business with ebay until they take responsibility for their mistake. Their shipping calculator’s must match what shipper’s charge. They have already lost many more times the difference in revenue since I stopped doing business with them. Is this a way to do business??

by: rhw1 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 7 14:14:50 2021

Fusgeyer just so you know the dimensions on the bottom of the box are INSIDE NOT outside dimensions, and yes, all of the carriers are using DIM weight. So I use ULINE boxes. Lets say I want to use a 12x12x12 box. Uline # S-18344. If you go to the tab UNDER the product page, for additional information, it tells you the DIM weight and the OUTSIDE dimensions which are actually
Outside: 12 3/8 x 12 3/8 x 12 5/8'' (+/- 1/8'').
So if you are using a 12x12x12 box on FedEx site its says DIM weight is 13 lbs, but the actual is 14lbs DIM. I had to learn this the hard way! Oh and ups and fedex use the same calculation formula. USPS is different!

by: angryllama This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jun 8 08:24:15 2021

JoeNet,   Did you get anyone at FEDEX to explain just WHERE each of these ODD-BALL extra $$ Adders came from?

Your List:
Breakdown of shipping charge per FedEx:
Home Delivery $11.58    ...   This one sounds valid
Additional handling $14.00    ....  Ummm BOGUS?
Peak handling charge $3.00   ...   New to ME as I've never SEEN such a charge
Residential delivery $3.26  ...  Bogus? Home Delivery should be RESIDENTIAL
Fuel surcharge $2.10   ...  This one ALSO is valid
Discount ($4.76)   ...  OK, this give back $$

Total shipping $29.18

Dimensional Weight for domestic GROUND is predicat4d on something at or CLOSE to 7 pounds per cubic foot if the SCALE WEIGHT did not Reach or EXCEED that calculated Dimensional Weight.  Right before I QUIT using UPS ground  THEY started using DIMENSIONAL WEIGHT on even SUB-ONE-CUBIC-FOOT packages.  Was YOUR PACKAGE under on cubic foot?