Tue Apr 6 2021 20:14:09

Seller Says eBay Combined-Shipping Glitch Costs Him Sales

By: Reader

My auctions closed Sunday and I sent invoices with combined shipping. The buyers confirmed they received the invoices, but eBay's "System" changed the shipping to a higher price, i.e., uncombined the shipping, and will not allow the buyer to complete the transaction unless they pay the higher shipping fee.

This has been off and on since January.

Buyers told me that they contacted eBay and the eBay Customer Service rep advised the buyers to request to cancel the transaction and then email the seller.

Almost all buyers who have heeded eBay's advice, transaction cancelled and money refunded, did not offer to buy the items they originally purchased, they elected to just move on.

eBay told me that the problem was on the buyers' end but would not elaborate. Seller just gets to re-list the items and buyer receives no penalty. Seller must also, one by one, submit NPB (non-paying bidder claim) and then, one by one, cancel each after the required wait time or be hit with FVF fees.

One such transaction was for 97 auctions to one buyer and cost me $1,500.00 in the sale. eBay's CS overall opinion was, "Oh well, you get to re-list". I also lost 97 free inserts for the month. All eBay would do was reimburse me at .25 per auction for my troubles.
Jim

Perminate Link for Seller Says eBay Combined-Shipping Glitch Costs Hi   Seller Says eBay Combined-Shipping Glitch Costs Hi

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Tue Apr 6 20:39:34 2021

You should have counter offered them.  Just ask them to pay the invoice as it stands and you will issue them a refund for the overpayment of shipping.  I do this all the time, not because of the issue you describe but I often have buyers that purchase stuff and then just pay without requesting an invoice first.

The problem you are having might only be related to auctions.  I don't run any auctions anymore, just fixed price.

But you didn't have to lose the sales, you just didn't think of an option you could have offered the buyer.  I am sorry this is happening to you and Ebay certainly needs to fix this problem.  You should go the the Community boards and report this issue on the Technical Board.  That may help get more action.

hnicalissues-db

by: COVID-19 This user has validated their user name.

Wed Apr 7 04:27:18 2021

Eh heh heh heh heh. Glitchbay!

by: Shanna This user has validated their user name.

Wed Apr 7 12:25:23 2021

" Just ask them to pay the invoice as it stands and you will issue them a refund for the overpayment of shipping."

This is exactly what eBay wants sellers to do. Why? Because they are charging them the FVF on the total amount, and will do refund any of the FVF when the seller gives a partial refund on the shipping. The glitch is working as intended.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Wed Apr 7 14:32:13 2021

@shanna

You are correct for all sellers except those in MP.  Those in MP do get a FVF credit on the refund.

by: Snapped This user has validated their user name.

Wed Apr 7 21:00:12 2021

“ But you didn't have to lose the sales, you just didn't think of an option you could have offered the buyer. ”

The seller DID think of an ‘option’ to please the buyer. It is eBay who interfered with it’s ham handed incompetence.

Sure, perhaps there is a (yet another of too many to keep track of) ‘workaround’, but pray tell - what ‘option’ might best work to cleanse the disgusting taste left in the buyer’s mouth by such a strung together procedure just to be able to pay an invoice. Would YOU be returning to shop at a store that made you pay $20 for a $10 priced item with a ‘promise’ to refund the $10 later?

In the end, while the buyer may come to understand the seller isn’t to ‘blame’ - certainly SOMEbody is. And once they do place blame, that’s bad news for ALL the sellers on eBay. Ain’t no ‘workaround’ in the world for that.

This user has validated their user name. by: cfrphoto

Thu Apr 8 00:49:44 2021

Failure of eBay to adhere to combined shipping directives goes back at least a decade. If a seller offers free US shipping and buyer paid shipping to foreign destinations, eBay does not follow rules for pricing combined foreign shipping. Is eBay also unable to combine buyer paid domestic shipping? Is it worth taking the risk to find out?

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Thu Apr 8 01:55:41 2021

@cfrphoto

When a seller offers free US shipping and then sells the item to an international buyer, the FVF is calculated on the lower US shipping rate [free].  So in other words there is NO FVF on the international shipping in a situation like that.  Which is exactly what the policy page will tell you too.

by: xfilefan This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 8 05:56:14 2021

@ Marie,

While I have learned not to try to guess what eBay does with individual sellers, I can confirm that Shanna is correct regarding my stores (which are on MP).  If a FULL refund is done, then yes, you do get your FVF fees back, a partial refund however, as I believe is refenced here, gets you nothing.  I deal with this all the time, same as you, with individuals who don't request an invoice.  In my case however, as noted in my listings, I pass along the additional charges to the buyers in the form of less savings on combined shipping.  All of which is very open to those who read my listings.

by: railady This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 8 09:43:04 2021

This has not happened to me, but on a related note, I carefully offer at least two and sometimes three shipping options when I create listings (and these options show in my listings).  But when the buyer goes to pay there is only ONE shipping option provided in any eBay invoice, which is the first one I put into the listing -- never including the second or third one. If I want Buyer to see more than one shipping choice, I can send an invoice myself, but by that time, Buyer usually has paid. TRULY annoying !!

I do not know about eBay, but my information is that PayPal no longer refunds the fees they charge on refunds - for anyone.

by: railady This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 8 09:45:53 2021

Actually, what has happened to me recently is that eBay is NOT combining auction wins. There is no rhyme nor reason; my seller account says to combine ship, but some winners' won items are combined in eBay's system and others are not.  I had to individually invoice two different buyers, each of whom won two auctions in my last go-round.  eBay combined a couple of others.  I do not feel it is worth my time to try to figure this out and get nowhere. I just appreciate the ability to contact buyers before eBay gets to them.

This user has validated their user name. by: cfrphoto

Thu Apr 8 10:21:35 2021

@Marie

The issue relates to the buyer experience. If the international shipping is $2 per item with the second item free, a buyer should see $2 for shipping five items, not $10. If the buyer does not abandon the transaction, receiving a refund is not a good buyer experience. Getting the shipping amount right the first time would provide the best buyer experience.

Refunding incorrectly calculated shipping is unrelated to Final Value Fees.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Thu Apr 8 12:30:53 2021

@xfilefan

My post said that Shanna was and is correct for those NOT in MP, which is most of the sellers on Ebay.  But those in MP do get the partial refund on fees.  So YES Shanna is correct.

by: xfilefan This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 8 16:04:05 2021

@ Marie,

I repeat again, I am speaking from personal experience owning multiple stores with ALL being on managed payments.  While I cannot, and will not speculate on what happens with your IDs, here is the information from eBay regarding Managed Payments Sellers.  And I quote...

You are not eligible for fee credits in any of the following situations:

You refund the buyer outside of eBay (using PayPal to send money, for instance)
*****You issued a partial refund to the buyer*****
You or the buyer asked us to step in, and the case was closed with a refund to the buyer

Asterisks added are mine.  I stand by my statement.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Thu Apr 8 19:14:12 2021

@xfilefan

No one had even suggested that the refund would have been done outside the system.  So if the seller is NOT in MP, then they do the partial refund through the transaction which was processed by PP.  And this does NOT result in a partial refund of PP fees or Ebay fees.

A seller that is in MP can do the refund through MP by going to the transaction from their Order list.  So it is then processed through MP and is never processed by PP.  There is NO reason for a seller to go to PP to issue a refund when they are in MP.  In other words there is no reason for a seller in MP to refund the buyer outside of MP as you state above.

Refunds, full or partial, are extremely easy to do in MP.

Now with all that said.  You are correct about MP.  They don't refund on partial refunds either.  This is a newer change and I'm not sure when it kicked in as I had not noticed it before.  You use to get a refund of fees on partial refunds.  But at least this year I have not.  I'll have to go back into last years books to see when it stopped.  But you are correct.  MP is giving refunds either.  I was incorrect.

This user has validated their user name. by: Lightning

Thu Apr 8 23:30:50 2021

To my knowledge, and also supported by written opinions from other sellers in the Community Boards, eBay never returned the fees on the partial refund amount.  There was no mechanism to do that before, or even after MP came in.  But....in the past, you could CALL and get a refund on the fees related to a partial refund, if it was worth your time on the phone.  The CS agents would help you out.  At some point, that was completely shut down.  Call all you want, not happening.

Here's an article from mid-2020 about it, also along the same lines, no fee credit for partial refunds:
ent-Partial-Refunds-eBay-Keeps-All-Fees/td-p/31061344

In
that thread, they point to a Fee Credit link:
redits?id=4128

This
looks to be where @xfilefan got the quoted text he posted above, as it is there word for word, no fee refunds on partial payments.

You would think this info could be easily found in the NO HELP pages on eBay, but not true.  You have to go to Google and put in some ''magic words'' that lead you back to eBay.  This is a general complaint I have with companies.  Their own websites have no way of finding anything, so you have to get out, go to Google, find your likely answer, loop back into the company website via the link.  Just stupid and frustrating.

Here's an eBay Help page where they tell you how to EXECUTE refunds,, full or partial.

efunding-buyers-as-a-managed-payments-seller?id=5182

They
conveniently don't mention ANYTHING about returning the fees associated with the refund, full or partial.  With all the information provided on this page, there's no way they should have missed informing you of the fee credit (on full refunds) or lack thereof (on partial refunds).  They just continue to suck at all levels.