Wed Mar 31 2021 15:54:03

Seller Says eBay Offers Buyer 'Money Back, and Keep the Item'

By: Reader

I've been selling on eBay for a while. So far I was convinced that as a seller I was protected, right? Not at all.

I sold a sealed perfume bottle (the only perfume I had for sale, everything else is pretty much jewelry). After a little bit over a week I got an open case on eBay that the buyer says they received the wrong item (there was no room for error as that was the only item in that category I had).

Usually if I have a return request, I just accept it to keep my 100% feedback - usually it involves accepting the return and waiting for the item back and the release of the funds.

In this case, I noticed something was wrong, as I only had the options on eBay to "Challenge the dispute" or "Refund the buyer".

I called eBay and the Rep told me that because the buyer opened a case with the payment company (PayPal), I only had those options. If I choose to challenge the claim, I had to prove I sent the right item, and if I lose the case, I will be charged $20 by eBay (and not get my item back).

If I choose "Refund the buyer", they refund the buyer, but I still don't get my item back.

So, that means anybody can buy whatever they want on eBay, receive the item, file a complaint, and get the money and keep the item. What happened to seller's protection??

Also, if I were still with PayPal instead eBay Managed Payments, PayPal would look for pictures of the items and also make sure I get my items back.

I'm just sick of eBay now, probably moving to some other online retailer.
A.

Perminate Link for Seller Says eBay Offers Buyer 'Money Back, and Kee   Seller Says eBay Offers Buyer 'Money Back, and Kee

This user has validated their user name. by: CanBrit

Wed Mar 31 18:54:52 2021

With managed payments, things keep getting worse and worse. Be careful you don't sell too well or you'll find yourself  in my position, with a lot of money that is still in "PROCESSING" because I had four sales in four days Yes, every time a new sale comes in the next da, No Deposits for you........all goes back into "PROCESSING" What an absolute bunch of scumbags.

eBay, hang onto it as much as you can.....it's not going to stop the inevitable.

by: postbuster This user has validated their user name.

Wed Mar 31 19:58:43 2021

@ CanBrit

Wow, I'm sorry that this is happening to you. (possibly others?)

I have not been selling since Nov. and while I know etsy pays faster, and they distribute payments in the time they were received, I really get pissed hearing about ebay using yet another method to take (or in this case hold money, even offer a ransom) money out of our hands... even if its only temporary.

Dear OP,

unfortunately you probably will have to find somewhere to protect yourself from predatory business practices like from ebay.

You may or may not know this but PayPal has the $20 dispute charge in their clause.  Probably adopted from there as ebay also steals ideas as well as money.
The point is, ebay knows this and more than likely will just take the $20 and say they 'did something' when we all know that's not true.

by: HenryS137 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 1 01:55:03 2021

Every PayPal dispute from a buyer to eBay on an eBay sale right now is a guaranteed nightmare.  eBay won't accept or use the facts in the case that you would normally provide, as they just want sellers to check off a generic situation option or two. No option to explain or wrote details.

For instance, I made a  legitimate error as a seller and sent a buyer one item instead of 4.  The buyer demanded a full refund and refused the return/refund process at eBay and the offer of sending the other 3 and made a Paypal claim for a full refund.  eBay couldn't be bothered to understand what had happened or to enter the information into the response to PayPal.  Buyers are quickly realizing that ignoring returns and opening PayPal cases after they get their items has a good chance of leading to free items.  eBay could care less.  No protection, no means of getting info into the PayPal case to defend yourself, and of course, eBay blames PayPal for everything, which eBay has 20+ years of practice doing as a ''knee-jerk'' response.

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 1 03:15:01 2021

That's why it's better to sell on Mercari and Posh.  Even Craigslist or FB would be better. Ebay - and AMZ - are becoming draconian. I predict a lot of folks will move to Shopify, setup their own shop and sell online.  Even Google is trying to re-intro the e-store concept.

This user has validated their user name. by: ySirTinLee

Thu Apr 1 05:46:57 2021

No more ebay for me.  I like webstore.com
No hassles.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 1 10:05:11 2021

When a buyer uses Paypal or their CC directly or their CC via Paypal (ie not from a bank account) as a seller you AUTO LOSE, always.

eBay will not fight any chargebacks, eBay will not do any due diligence, eBay will not do anything.

Same mantra as always "we cant do anything about it - its not us its "the bank"", as a seller you suck so you deserve it, running a business means taking a loss so heres one - take it for the team (to pay for drinks @ walkers) - and crap like that.

Maybe that shmoe Griff could earn his keep and get someone, somewhere some "seller protection" (another eBay lie/racket), but I doubt he cares 1 iota.

(Seller Protection is the lie eBay uses to get sellers to part with expensive/rare/collectible items - shipping them off to the middle of no where, then maybe getting paid at some point if they dont totally rip them off) (but thats what MP was designed for).

Buyers get 4 bites "at the apple" to get even with sellers - and eBay backs them up each and every time.

Call the morons at eBay if possible, and keep calling. Write down the SR# each time and demand to speak to a manager (aka a teenager in the Philippines). Ask eBay to email you a record of each convo (they keep them) and insure that what the email says is correct (eBay lies all day and all night so you need to protect yourself). eBay will also lie and say the SR#s dont exist - but this way you have it on paper.

If that doesnt work - use their Facebook page. Maybe if they dont erase it and you embarrass them enough - they may help.

Its tough dealing with the San Jose Mafia .....

by: Snapped This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 1 13:02:15 2021

eBay does not or ever did hold title to the item. If a seller’s return terms state requirement to receive a return before refund, and eBay overrides those terms to allow the buyer to keep all, then eBay owes you the proceeds from the sale.

eBay however, will postulate they are not impeding or denying a return, simply disavowing themselves from the process after granting a refund. They do that routinely now, because they don’t care what happens to the item. Or your terms related, which is where the issue remains. Anyway, it’s your item, go get it.

Your recourse so ‘abandoned’ is to seek remedy from the buyer. Which now becomes a challenge since eBay gave them a prepaid pardon.

Question is then, and for either case or both, what is a seller so robbed - and still, not without recourse - willing to do about it? There are costs involved, and investment in time.

eBay is betting not much. Which will still be more than eBay is ever going to do.

by: angryllama This user has validated their user name.

Fri Apr 2 03:15:03 2021

MAY 3rd letter?   What are we doing as unpaid cast in 'Back to the Future FOUR'' ?

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Fri Apr 2 07:10:02 2021

If you shipped USPS open a mail fraud case. My question is, would eBay and/or PayPal be accessories to the mail fraud? Are they also enabling and a abetting.

There is no seller protection on eBay. They can"t be bothered. The $20 penality is nothing more than a deterrent fee (money grab)  purposely implemented on those who fight back, as in "you better not. we'll make you pay".

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Apr 6 08:57:36 2021

eBay has (long ago) inherited the Amazon "do anything to make the buyer happy" disease.

Sellers (of course - back since the JD days) are expendable trash, use them, make money off them then discard.

Woe to any seller who tries to fight back. Nothing any seller can say is legitimate, and what little (that would be the idiot Griff)(his job supposedly IS head of seller protection) protection they had/have is no where to be found.

As stated by Snapped - eBay will gladly charge you that $20 fee for trying to assert your rights. eBay's break rooms need more food, the free gym they offer needs new towels and the free childcare/food/lunch/transportation (that sellers themselves may not get/be able to afford) are in need of upgrade/replenishment.

eBay knows that only a few sellers will step up and fight - so out of the millions of sellers they hurt, they only need to reimburse a few who take it to Facebook or where ever else eBay is in the public sphere.

Ca officials are as useful as cardboard in a downpour - they already let eBay screw other CA counties (with the governors consent) so no help will be coming from Sacramento.

Nationally, its all about illegal aliens and other such cr@p - no one in Washington cares about eBay sellers ...... (though I have written a few state senators trying to get them to look into eBay - but no avail atm).

So eBay steals from you .. "so what and what are you going to do!?" ... as long as eBay has that attitude - sellers can never win.

My win will be at the end - what ever day I close my account - I will close my bank account/cc associated with eBay and let them chase me ..... go ahead - I have 3 lawyers in the family - they work for free !